Cam Rising is on the transfer portal...

Fug

25 minutes ago, formermav43 said:

Then Rising is not very bright. I think I’d want to know that my coach runs his QB all the time literally everywhere he’s been. That’s the sort of thing you’d think might come up before committing.

It's one thing to run your QB (which is something every upcoming QB recruit realizes is part of the game), it's entirely different for your QB to be the primary short yardage option you run into the teeth of the defense time and time again. It's obvious that this is the aspect of this offense that Rising doesn't like and may have been somewhat of a surprise to him coming in. 

4 minutes ago, markstanco said:
53 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:
Ehlinger better get better as a passer then. Running is what makes him special.

25 TDs passing to 5 ints and 3200 yards passing at 64% completion percentage sounds like he sucks. 146 rating is also bad.

Well he certainly does not suck but those stats do not tell the whole story. He is a very good passer but it is his running that makes him elite.

Remember we did not have a single play over 50 yards all season. We grind out drives. If he is going to be limiting his running we need more big plays in the passing game.

Edited by Valmy77

24 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

It's one thing to run your QB (which is something every upcoming QB recruit realizes is part of the game), it's entirely different for your QB to be the primary short yardage option you run into the teeth of the defense time and time again. It's obvious that this is the aspect of this offense that Rising doesn't like and may have been somewhat of a surprise to him coming in. 

Again, if that’s a surprise, then he’s not very bright. 

1 minute ago, Cashcar said:

I have no issues with Boosh leaving. He put in work and helped this program get back on track. Rising wants shit handed to him. 

Maybe after a year..... Rising realized that Herman's offense not a fit for him.  Like Aikman at BlowU..... bad fit for his skill set.

Rather than struggle and take up a roster spot, handle the situation like an adult and transfer.... and not say anything negative about Texas.  That's how I would want my son to handle it.  

Just a thought...... 🤘

54 minutes ago, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

Well then like UDK said he isn’t very bright. Herman has done that with every QB he has had.

I think he didn’t want to sit for 2 more years that was the biggest factor.

JT Barrett and Cardale Jones weren't his primary options in short yardage situations, nor was Greg Ward. 

18 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

JT Barrett and Cardale Jones weren't his primary options in short yardage situations, nor was Greg Ward. 

That's true but the QB had more carries when Herman was at OSU and UH than Sam had.  Even with Ezekiel Elliot in the backfield, JT Barrett and Cardale Jones combined for 243 carries in 2014.  Ward had 197 carries in both seasons at UH.  Sam and Shane combined for 176 carries in 2017 and 174 this year.  This should not have been a surprise.

• Like 1

Without looking I'd guess all 3 other offenses ran more total plays than Herman's Longhorn squads, but regardless of all that Rising is looking at another school in Utah that also utilizes the QB run game. I don't think the issue with him is running the ball perse. His issue seems to be with the style of running plays for the QB, which any fan of college football has to admit is much more similar to what Urban did with Tebow in Florida than any of the other offenses Herman has run in his career. 

Edited by Catdaddyhorn

4 hours ago, sushihorn said:

If they were watching that closely they saw Tom Herman adapt his running game to take advantage of a 235 lb sledgehammer at QB.  Why on Earth would they think Herman would run a 195-200 lb kid the same way when he didn't in the past?  Water under the bridge now though.

Rising is also around 230 lbs. Sam's a very instinctive runner though.

This sucks, but we'll be fine as long as we get another solid guy in 2020 to pair with Card.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fletch said:

Did anyone see Thompson’s body language on the sideline of the sugar bowl? 

He looked very engaged.  He was in the qb huddle with Shane and Sam.  Did not see Cam there.

I wish Cam the best as he seems like a good kid.  But, I guess I can say this now, he's kinda let himself go.  Body looked kinda sloppy.

32 minutes ago, Barry_McCokiner said:

He looked very engaged.  He was in the qb huddle with Shane and Sam.  Did not see Cam there.

I wish Cam the best as he seems like a good kid.  But, I guess I can say this now, he's kinda let himself go.  Body looked kinda sloppy.

I take it you didn’t see all the posts after the sugar bowl on how Risings lack of engagement in the game 

3 hours ago, Atticus said:

Rising is also around 230 lbs. Sam's a very instinctive runner though.

This sucks, but we'll be fine as long as we get another solid guy in 2020 to pair with Card.

Damn.  I didn't realize he put on 35 lbs in less than a year.  He was listed at 195 coming in.

I'm in the "Rising isn't too bright" camp. From the Utah board:

"Rising was concerned with the number of carries Ehlinger had at 164. Huntley ran the ball 168 times his sophomore year and missed a couple games. Junior year over 100 carries and missed final 5 games…

Ludwig must have really sold him on a new offense."

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RoyalBevo21 said:

I'm in the "Rising isn't too bright" camp. From the Utah board:

"Rising was concerned with the number of carries Ehlinger had at 164. Huntley ran the ball 168 times his sophomore year and missed a couple games. Junior year over 100 carries and missed final 5 games…

Ludwig must have really sold him on a new offense."

I think the running aspect of a QB in Herman's offense is a bullshit reason for his transfer.  Based on everything I've read, it seems like the kid just didn't like being here and was checked out over the past couple of months.  I'm not pissed and hold no ill-will toward him.  That just happens with some players, and better to get them out of here than stay and take up energy and a scholarship.   

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Tired of Lurking said:

I hope he goes to Washington State. They have two seniors and a lower-rated redshirt freshman to compete with.

Hopefully Leach wouldn't put Rising in a shed or electrical closet......

Edited by LTtxfan

10 hours ago, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

Well then like UDK said he isn’t very bright. Herman has done that with every QB he has had.

I think he didn’t want to sit for 2 more years that was the biggest factor.

that's the correct answer. To add to it, after the two years he has no guarantee that he would start then. There is a good chance he would never see the field as a starter. Rising is good enough to start next year or the following on several teams and has a shot at the next level, which is something he could easily lose by riding pine on the "we're back" bench.

And for the comment you quoted. Herman does run his qbs quite a bit. BUT just how much depends on: 

A. QB running ability and physical attributes.

B. His O-Line. The better they are, the more he calls the qb run.

Herman is known for the qb runatons, but his scheme  usually puts the qb in a good situation to exploit soft spots (it doesn't always work). But if his OL or QB is a death or fumble risk, he dials it back a lot. Herman runs Sam a lot, but who wouldn't.  Florida wasn't a qb run happy team until they got their Sam Tebow, then (like us) they loved watching him truck secondaries.  As long as the OL keeps progressing like they are, a qb like Rising two years from now (in Herman's scheme) would probably remind you of Colt's 2nd year when he still had a good OL and a true running back, so Colt was able to take off at will.  With Herman, the rbs would do the bulk of ground work, while Rising would be more Arm than Leg, but used in the run just enough to gash Ds for good yards here and there but not enough to pull numbers into the box or just enough to stack the box to open the 1 on 1s on the deep routes. Herman uses both approaches. But I doubt you would ever see a "Rising" in Herman's system line up at the 1 yard line and try to power it 4 straight runs like he could with Sam.  It was a bold move by Herman to break the D's back (or to make a statement with a BIG FUCK YOU ESPN and your cock gobbling of the "ungodly" secsecsec defenses, but not something you would do without a "Sam" as your QB.

Rising would have been fine in Herman's system (as long as his golden arm didn't go all GDGG), but the likelihood of seeing the field here as a starter is probably pretty low. By the time Sam leaves, there will should be another young QB or 2 on the roster that fits the Herman scheme a little better that Rising would have to compete with.  "We're back" bitches. That should help with recruiting some talented dual-QBs the next few years.

Side note:  Sorry, just can't get over it.

Georgia O stats:                                                                                            |      Vs Texas BDF Defense

3343 total rushing yards - #1 SEC                                                             |

238.79 average rushing yards per game - #1 SEC                                  |      72 rushing yards

5.90 yards per carry - 1#  SEC                                                                    |       2.4 yards per carry

30 rushing touchdowns - 2# SEC                                                              |        0 rushing touchdowns

37.86 average points per game - 2# SEC                                                 |        21 points with 7 scored during garbage time

464.86 average yards per game                                                                |        296 total yards 

The only team that came close to Texas' defensive stats vs. G was LSU. It's setting up for a great game next year!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, South Austin said:

This is Surly. We never have closure. 

I’m sure everytime our QB underperforms we’ll hear about how Cam went 25-30 for 285 yards, 3 TD and how this is a failure of the staff like the folks who pretend that Andrew Luck was a Longhorn legend if not for the dumbassey of Mack.   This guy knew he wasn’t going to beat out Sam and didn’t want to have to compete for 2 years of playing time. 

Edited by Lhorn

16 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

Interesting   It doesn’t appear he was offered originally by either Utah or Vanderbilt (where the Utah QB coach was at the time).  I wondering if they’ve only ever seen him play on hudl and YouTube. 

He committed to OU pretty early. They probably didn't figure it was worth the effort.