Cam Rising is on the transfer portal...

Fug

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

On talent, he would be. Who knows how things would actually play out.

The $9.95’s suggested that he was very close to Sam with regard to execution in practice, but that we wanted to maintain his shirt. And our penchant for not being able to win by more than a score kept him from getting four games worth of reps. 

2 minutes ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

The $9.95’s suggested that he was very close to Sam with regard to execution in practice, but that we wanted to maintain his shirt. And our penchant for not being able to win by more than a score kept him from getting four games worth of reps. 

Why didn't they put him in when Sam was hurt if he was close?

10 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

I really liked the little I saw of Rising at the spring game last year. Not happy he's transferring but a little confused as to why he thinks Utah is a good landing spot. Oh well.

Yeah I would head over to Washington State and enjoy several years of Leach running the show. He is already trying to copy Minshew with the mustache.

8331732.jpg?fit=crop&width=100

1 hour ago, Gene Parmesan said:

Did we ever come to a consensus as to why he's considering transferring?

We've pulled some shit out of our collective ass, quoted some $9.95'ers, referenced some vague comments from people who are close to the program, have spewed some conjecture, and jumped to a few conclusions.  So, yes, we've come to a consensus, as usual.

• Like 2

We've pulled some shit out of our collective ass, quoted some $9.95'ers, referenced some vague comments from people who are close to the program, have spewed some conjecture, and jumped to a few conclusions.  So, yes, we've come to a consensus, as usual.

I have yet to see that pussy is undefeated, so I don’t think we are done yet.
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Newy25 said:

Utah?  Surprising considering their depth chart does not have an open path to starting, either. 

And the state's law enforcement is out of whack.  They have a mattress police force that is authorized to break into your home and inspect for tags removed from mattresses.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Gene Parmesan said:

Why didn't they put him in when Sam was hurt if he was close?

I think the obvious answer if that they wanted to get him in the game while retaining his redshirt which means they either had to pick and choose games during the season, or save him until the last 4-5 games.  Shane was serviceable in the offense and certainly had more collegiate game experience, and we frankly needed Sam for most games when he was healthy as we did our typical fourth quarter turtle and made games closer than they needed to be in deference to a coaching axiom more suited to the SEC than the Big XII.  I think Rising would have played more if we could have taken 3-4 score leads into the fourth quarter, but usually we were just hanging on by our fingernails.

9 minutes ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

I think the obvious answer if that they wanted to get him in the game while retaining his redshirt which means they either had to pick and choose games during the season, or save him until the last 4-5 games.  Shane was serviceable in the offense and certainly had more collegiate game experience, and we frankly needed Sam for most games when he was healthy as we did our typical fourth quarter turtle and made games closer than they needed to be in deference to a coaching axiom more suited to the SEC than the Big XII.  I think Rising would have played more if we could have taken 3-4 score leads into the fourth quarter, but usually we were just hanging on by our fingernails.

We would need 4+-6 score lead, based on the season's data set.  Being up 17-21 with 11 minutes to play was a signal for anxiety.

2 minutes ago, NBMisha said:

We would need 4+-6 score lead, based on the season's data set.  Being up 17-21 with 11 minutes to play was a signal for anxiety.

Yes, because we tended to turtle the offense and play pretty basic defense, because of the staff's belief in running the game clock.  And that's very valid in most conferences, but not so much in one where the offenses generally don't give a shit about time of possession.

7 minutes ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

I think Rising would have played more if we could have taken 3-4 score leads into the fourth quarter, but usually we were just hanging on by our fingernails.

please tell me you actually had a brainfart and totally forgot that on no fewer than 5 occasions this year, we had at least a 17 point 4th quarter lead.  AND WE BLEW THEM ALL?

Almost every fucking time we gained a 3 score lead in the 4th quarter we almost immediately gave up a TD dr.   The only exception was the OU game where we kept ou from scoring on their first 4th quarter drive, but gave up 3 fucking td drives at the end.

we had the 3 score lead several times, we just fucking loved getting complacent and giving up 10 or more 4th quarter points in every single one of those games. 

2 minutes ago, AUS-97HORN said:

please tell me you actually had a brainfart and totally forgot that on no fewer than 5 occasions this year, we had at least a 17 point 4th quarter lead.  AND WE BLEW THEM ALL?

Almost every fucking time we gained a 3 score lead in the 4th quarter we almost immediately gave up a TD dr.   The only exception was the OU game where we kept ou from scoring on their first 4th quarter drive, but gave up 3 fucking td drives at the end.

we had the 3 score lead several times, we just fucking loved getting complacent and giving up 10 or more 4th quarter points in every single one of those games. 

Sigh, I don't mean 17 points. I mean more like 28, and you might have gathered that I was very aware of our tendency to blow late leads based on my mentioning it  in every post in this thread, as well as why I think we tended to do it.

20 minutes ago, South Austin said:

And the state's law enforcement is out of whack.  They have a mattress police force that is authorized to break into your home and inspect for tags removed from mattresses.

And some big ass pot holes. Hit one and BOOM, out goes your back window. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

Sigh, I don't mean 17 points. I mean more like 28, and you might have gathered that I was very aware of our tendency to blow late leads based on my mentioning it  in every post in this thread, as well as why I think we tended to do it.

then be more specific, you said 3-4 scores.   17 points is 3 scores.   hell if you just wanted to go with 21 point leads blown I am pretty sure we did that 3 maybe 4 times.

Just now, BurntOrangeBlooded15 said:

Fuck it. 

RS Roschon, 2 years of weight room with Yancy, get a NC ring as Senior Sam’s backup, take over as a RS Soph.  That being said Card will prolly transfer/change positions.  Need our 2021 take to be a stud to reset the cycle.  

a) sounds like Casey will likely stick around, which is good for buffering Roschon.

b) we're trying to get a position-flexible QB2 take for 2020 like Ja'Quinden Jackson or Michael Henderson. This transfer stuff means that you basically have to take numbers at QB almost every cycle.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, BurntOrangeBlooded15 said:

Fuck it. 

RS Roschon, 2 years of weight room with Yancy, get a NC ring as Senior Sam’s backup, take over as a RS Soph.  That being said Card will prolly transfer/change positions.  Need our 2021 take to be a stud to reset the cycle. 

You're in luck.

7 minutes ago, BurntOrangeBlooded15 said:

I haven’t learned shit about 21 yet.  I’m just getting familiar with 20 names.  Who’s our 21 guy? 

https://247sports.com/Player/Preston-Stone-46039887/

Not committed but this will be our top target and maybe the number 1 QB in the country. Still early though.

Edited by thepop

Does Rising have to sit out a year since he sat out last year?  Can't recall.

Seems like most of these guys end up like Conor Brewer or Conor Wood, and the Will Grier/Kyler Murray's are the exception.  So if they are afraid to compete, it sucks, but historically, it never seems like a big loss in retrospect.

So long as we don't protect a recruit like Mack did Garrett Gilbert (and even Swoopes to an extent), which is a large reason we were in our 9 year desert, I'll just accept that these QBs transferring out weren't going to be game changers anyway.  

Just plan to sign 3 QBs every two years, at least, and take flyers on guys like Greg Ward at UH that can be used elsewhere if they don't pan out at QB.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, A-Tex Devil said:

Does Rising have to sit out a year since he sat out last year?  Can't recall.

Seems like most of these guys end up like Conor Brewer or Conor Wood, and the Will Grier/Kyler Murray's are the exception.  So if they are afraid to compete, it sucks, but historically, it never seems like a big loss in retrospect.

So long as we don't protect a recruit like Mack did Garrett Gilbert (and even Swoopes to an extent), which is a large reason we were in our 9 year desert, I'll just accept that these QBs transferring out weren't going to be game changers anyway.  

Just plan to sign 3 QBs every two years, at least, and take flyers on guys like Greg Ward at UH that can be used elsewhere if they don't pan out at QB.  

Or that the one we have is one and will be around for 2 more years. 

49 minutes ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

All part of Mensa Tom's master plan.  Rising will start for 2 years at Utah, get some in-game seasoning, graduate,  transfer back to Texas,  and still play 2 more seasons. 

Tom's playing 5D Chess. 

I know you jest...... but not aware of any rules against returning to Texas.  David Sills returned to West Virginia for 2017-18 Seasons. 

Edited by LTtxfan

I wish we could've seen Rising in a game this year, but I don't believe for a second it would have changed his decision now. 

At the start of this season we all had legitimate questions about who should be our starter.  Sam showed flashes of brilliance his freshman year, but was also mistake prone to a point you'd assume he'd lose the job eventually if he couldn't fix his decision making.  Rising and Thompson both came here betting he couldn't turn the corner and that they could win the job and be QB at texas for 3-4 years.

Sam might regress next year, or get hurt, sure.  If you came here betting a guy would tank, and instead he's developed into a qb who's making way too early heisman watch lists, it's likely you bet wrong and it's time to move on.

Sam doesn't have the "leave early for the NFL" qb skill set, so it's a safe bet he's here two more years.  If Rising thinks he's ready now to be the guy for 3-4 years, it's hard to blame him for looking around.  He just bet on Sam losing, and he bet wrong. 

7 minutes ago, Magus Ossis said:

They counted on Sam Ehlinger to be passive. They counted wrong. I hope the Utes love their children, too.

This. Due to our shitastic record (overall/and at qb) since Colt, the advent of the Herman era was intriguing as like a casting call to fill a qb role for a blue blood program that may be back on the rise. Sam just locked that role down quicker, and more emphatically than anyone anticipated.

I have no information whatsoever but believe that Rising is the guy who told Bru to not come to Texas. I don’t think he is happy here, and he did say he doesn’t like how much the QB has to run in this offense.

If he told him to not come, I wonder what bigger issue has him all worked up.