Casey Thompson in NCAA Transfer Portal Now

LTtxfan

10 hours ago, Machinator said:

TFB and IT are reporting it as well.

Will Baizer at TFB thinks Rising will return to Texas.

He was right about Rising entering his name in the transfer portal and most of us (myself included) doubted it was true. Here's to hoping Baizer is correct again.

I think beating Georgia can help us with our QB situation too.

I don't disagree with fatterson on this topic, BUT...

why the fuck should a player be beholden to a program so he can ride the fucking bench?  If he gets PT somehwre elese, then that is ( might be)  their prerogative.

If it can happen to a superpower like Clemson, nobody is safe.

I kind of like that from a competitive standpoint.

Edited by slorch

1) HS kid gets thrilled at the prospect of going to the only real university in Texas, especially when getting sweet-talked by the corches and stuff (wow, they like me, they really really like me!)
2) Kid gets here, sees that he's not gonna play in the near future, thrill of being recruited by the only real university in Texas wears off, haz a sad.
3) Wants to play badly, not sit around, so stirs the pot and gets ready to get out.
4) Hermie and the corches then go into sweet-talk role again and try to convince them to stay.  Works 2/3 of the time, doesn't 1/3 of the time.

We'll see.  All I know is that it never seems to work out to just stack players like cordwood, especially QB's.  The days of Texas being able to do that with abandon are over, recruiting is too national and widespread now.  It's inevitable that nowadays almost any FBS team will be on TV/social media, so kids can get exposure and they want to play.  My guess is that any player who can't see himself as at least #2 by his sophomore year will bolt most big time programs.

13 minutes ago, slorch said:

why the fuck should a player be beholden to a program so he can ride the fucking bench?  If he gets PT somehwre elese, then that is ( might be)  their prerogative.

This right here is why Patterson is full of shit. Everything he complains about 18 year olds doing? Coaches do, too. Grown ass men who are not beholden to anyone, flying the coop at the first sign of a better offer. If coaches can leave unfettered by responsibilities, holding athletes to that standard is dumb.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, markstanco said:

Sam solidifying the starting role even more so than now will help?

Nope. The opportunity to take the reigns at the helm that is becoming more established rather than staying in perpetual rebuild mode. Think like a head coach that's selling the big picture, buddy.

For once I'd like for us to be on the leading edge of taking advantage of rules changes and not let Saban do it by himself every time. 

Hire a small team who's job it is to scout the best non starters at all positions of need at places like Alabama and Clemson and work on them to get them to transfer in. If we can start raiding the too teams depth at places like OL and DL we can plug holes in our in state recruiting while weakening the top teams directly. 

Herman needs to decide if one of these guys is going to be back up worthy over Shane next fall and if so put the full court press on that guy to stay while letting the other one walk. Can't let both walk unless he's dead set on Shane being the number 1 backup for next two years (assuming Shane redshirted). 

22 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

Rising has the highest ceiling of any on the roster or in the pipeline imo.  His decision is the one that matters.  

Based on what? Neither has played a single snap at this level and both played against questionable to poor competition in HS. 

14 minutes ago, In10se said:

Based on what? Neither has played a single snap at this level and both played against questionable to poor competition in HS. 

HS and Spring Game video, the fact that he’s significantly taller and heavier than all the others except Sam but still displays decent speed, the fact that he beat out Thompson for 3rd string, and that it seemed to really sting Riley when we took him, and was the both the higher rated prospect and more coveted by schools that can be choosy.  

24 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

HS and Spring Game video, the fact that he’s significantly taller and heavier than all the others except Sam but still displays decent speed, the fact that he beat out Thompson for 3rd string, and that it seemed to really sting Riley when we took him, and was the both the higher rated prospect and more coveted by schools that can be choosy.  

Ok so basically nothing. Got it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EuroHorn said:

So is the future going to be picking up qb talent from the portal when needed as opposed to recruiting top freshmen and developing?

thats what OU has been doing but it was the unofficial A&M/Tech/ OU coaches sewing circle portal.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

Well, fuck em. If we haven’t submitted their redshirt form, don’t. Burn a year on the way out the door.

Not only would this be an unbelievably petty move on the staff's part that would be a terrible look in recruiting/roster management, that would mean they could just RS during the year they have to sit out. It costs the transfers absolutely nothing in terms of eligibility. RS SO after a year at their new school either way. So good job for posting the dumbest shit anyone's seen on here in a while.

Maybe someone has already written this, but if they both go, won't our QB room next year be the same as it was this season? Sam, Shane, two promising true freshman?

I hope the QBs stay and succeed here. Truly. But this is not cause for a total meltdown. 

I'd rather not have a true freshman at QB3, but I think there's every reason for the new guys to stay the year after next to prep to take over when Sam is gone and Shane may be a redshirt senior.

Our situation would be holding at its current spot which is a great improvement over 2017.

37 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

Maybe someone has already written this, but if they both go, won't our QB room next year be the same as it was this season? Sam, Shane, two promising true freshman?

I hope the QBs stay and succeed here. Truly. But this is not cause for a total meltdown. 

I'd rather not have a true freshman at QB3, but I think there's every reason for the new guys to stay the year after next to prep to take over when Sam is gone and Shane may be a redshirt senior.

Our situation would be holding at its current spot which is a great improvement over 2017.

i would rather not have shane as number 2 

36 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

Yep. He's 2020. I still don't worry much, though, because I'm pretty sure three QBs will be enough (knock on wood, salt over the shoulder, spit three times, finger my evil eye amulet...)

Randy McEachern says Hello.....

"McEachern started the 1977 season as the #4 quarterback on the depth chart and was not even listed in the team's media guide. Through Texas' first three wins he threw only 4 passes, as the Longhorns went from unranked to #5 in the country. Then came the Oklahoma game. Starting quarterback Mark McBath broke his ankle on the 7th play. Backup Jon Aune lasted only another nine before tearing ligaments in his knee, and preseason #3 quarterback Ted Constanzo had injured his knee playing racquetball in July.  With all three players out with what appeared to be season-ending injuries, the ball was given to McEachern. Relying on eventual Heisman Trophy winner Earl Campbell, three-time All-American kicker Russell Erxleben and solid defense, McEachern and the Longhorns did just well enough to win 13-6." 

OU Sucks...... Hook'em

Edited by LTtxfan

Randy McEachern says Hello.....
"McEachern started the 1977 season as the #4 quarterback on the depth chart and was not even listed in the team's media guide. Through Texas' first three wins he threw only 4 passes, as the Longhorns went from unranked to #5 in the country. Then came the Oklahoma game. Starting quarterback Mark McBath broke his ankle on the 7th play. Backup Jon Aune lasted only another nine before tearing ligaments in his knee, and preseason #3 quarterback Ted Constanzo had injured his knee playing racquetball in July.  With all three players out with what appeared to be season-ending injuries, the ball was given to McEachern. Relying on eventual Heisman Trophy winner Earl Campbell, three-time All-American kicker Russell Erxleben and solid defense, McEachern and the Longhorns did just well enough to win 13-6." 
OU Sucks...... Hook'em

I was at that game, Texas had the best team in the country but eventually McEachern cost them the big one. Couldn’t believe what I was seeing watching McGrath then Aune go down one after another

22 hours ago, RomaVicta said:

He's a solid back-up who will improve with the pass blocking of the line. Optimal? No. Insisting on optimal is just a means to unhappiness.

I don't think Shane is a solid backup. If Sam goes down we are totally fucked nationally. I would rather see that quarterback room with Sam and two promising freshman, one of whom gets some playing time and who could possibly step up, make a few mistakes, but make a few amazing plays that keep us in the hunt.

Shane should transfer.

2 minutes ago, Irish Wrist Watch said:

I don't think Shane is a solid backup. If Sam goes down we are totally fucked nationally. I would rather see that quarterback room with Sam and two promising freshman, one of whom gets some playing time and who could possibly step up, make a few mistakes, but make a few amazing plays that keep us in the hunt.

Shane should transfer.

Fewer QBs in the room? Did we like that? I thought we didn't like that.

I don't like to say, so are you a coach? But on this one, I think I'll go with the judgment of the staff. I'd rather have a veteran back up than a true freshman with more potential ready to go in if the starter goes down.

To each his own.

18 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

Fewer QBs in the room? Did we like that? I thought we didn't like that.

I don't like to say, so are you a coach? But on this one, I think I'll go with the judgment of the staff. I'd rather have a veteran back up than a true freshman with more potential ready to go in if the starter goes down.

To each his own.

Sam did a pretty good job as a Freshman without any playing time. I think either Thompson or Rising, with a few weeks behind a starting line, would outperform Shane big time. Sam could get hurt. We need to be grooming a star to replace him. Suspect that either Rising or Thompson would stick around if they though they'd get some serious snaps next season. If I'm counting right, one could still be the Longhorn's starting QB for two years after Sam goes to the NFL.

Regarding my being a coach: Nope.  Damn, is that a requirement for posting on this board? No wonder everybody else here seems so brilliant.

Edited by Irish Wrist Watch

2 hours ago, Irish Wrist Watch said:

Sam did a pretty good job as a Freshman without any playing time. I think either Thompson or Rising, with a few weeks behind a starting line, would outperform Shane big time. Sam could get hurt. We need to be grooming a star to replace him. Suspect that either Rising or Thompson would stick around if they though they'd get some serious snaps next season. If I'm counting right, one could still be the Longhorn's starting QB for two years after Sam goes to the NFL.

Regarding my being a coach: Nope.  Damn, is that a requirement for posting on this board? No wonder everybody else here seems so brilliant.

I wasn't clear with the coach thing. I was referring to people who deflect any criticism of a program by saying the coaches are smarter than the critic which is lame. However, in this case, I am deferring to their judgment.

We just see things differently, amigo. Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!

Edited by RomaVicta
Trying not to be unclear twice