ESPN replacing Coaches' Film Room with new broadcast crew of Jason Witten & Booger McFarland for the NC title game

satyanash

2 hours ago, Gene Parmesan said:

I never watched any of the coaches film room broadcasts.  Were their ratings good?

No idea. I wouldn't even had known about it if not for everyone on the game thread talking about it. Without any promotion, I wouldn't be surprised to hear the ratings were low...but it was extremely entertaining. I definitely would've been tuning in for that crew again.

2 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

Is this that serious for you? Watch with music on and the sound off. Announcers as a whole are trash and add zero value.

NBC once broadcast an NFL game in 1980 with no announcers: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Announcerless_game

Despite the increase in ratings, the experiment was considered a failure and never tried again. 

Some of these games have appeared on ESPN in the CFP era:

Top 5 Most-Ever Watched Televised College Football Games on Cable 2015 - Oregon-Ohio St, ESPN, 33M 2018 - Georgia-Alabama, ESPN, 29M 2015 - Alabama-Ohio St, ESPN, 28M 2015 - Oregon-FSU, ESPN, 28M 2011 - Oregon-Auburn, ESPN, 27M 2018 - Georgia-Oklahoma, ESPN, 26M

2 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

Is this that serious for you? Watch with music on and the sound off. Announcers as a whole are trash and add zero value.

Hmmm... not sure I agree with this.  It's distracting and bad when the crew is bad (the OSU-Mizzou Liberty Bowl being a great recent example), but when there's a good crew doing a big game it absolutely enhances the broadcast experience, IMO.

NFL games are better when Al Michaels/Chris Collinsworth or Buck/Aikman are doing them.  Ditto college games with to the top announcers (Fowler, Gus Johnson, etc.)

3 minutes ago, oSuJeff97 said:

Hmmm... not sure I agree with this.  It's distracting and bad when the crew is bad (the OSU-Mizzou Liberty Bowl being a great recent example), but when there's a good crew doing a big game it absolutely enhances the broadcast experience, IMO.

Two words: Gus Johnson.

I doubt ESPN's left leaning bias had anything to do with this decision but as a decision, its a hilariously bad one.  The content in the OP, when I read it, I thought for sure it was from a  parody account or something, as in not real.  

ESPN just can not stop shooting themselves in the foot.  Jason Witten is objectively terrible at the job they are paying him to do.  No one likes him.  Cowboys and Vols fans probably mute him.  Why on Earth would anyone at ESPN think it would be a good job to have a feed of the CFP title game with him on it?  Especially in replacement to probably the most popular alternative CFP feed there was?

Cable TV as a bundled service is bleeding out.  The canary in that particular coal mine died about a year ago.  That is how ESPN makes money so they're fucked.  Not to mention they overpaid for pretty much every live rights package they have, in some cases incredibly so.  Disney is going to spin ESPN off for pennies on the dollar at some point.  My guess would be Amazon or Netflix buys them.

2 hours ago, Rimbo said:

Someone make sure @Nicole44 knows in advance so she isn't shocked

Sup? Also Jimbo:

? Don't ever go up to the drive-thru! Okay? Always walk up to the counter. You know why? Okay. Okay. They fuck you at the drive-thru! Okay?! They fuck you at the drive-thru! They know you're gonna be miles away before you find out you got fucked! Okay? They know you're not gonna turn around and go back. So they don't care

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BearSchlong said:

ESPN seems to be mailing it in. I wonder how much they pay coaches to come do special events like these? Maybe they're just trying to utilize talent that's already under contract to minimize expenses.

Gonna be funny if these 2 teams are in the same situation after next season.

Eventually it'll just be tape delay, like NFL games were in the beginning of television.

They could pay me a few slices of great pizza and a couple good Biers and that’d be enough

I will say Witten knows the game well enough to be part of a coaches roundtable.  But broadcaster Witten dumbs it down for the general viewing audience.

My guess is they want to meet in the middle of "the left guard's first step should have been closer to a 30-degree angle" and "coaches talk about what their favorite pizza joint is."  Personally, I'd rather have both/either of those extremes.

People need to realize the coaches room only appeals to a small demographic. Most people do not want to listen to that or care about it. They want it simplistic and dumbed down to a degree like the MNF crew they are bringing in. All this analytical talk people like on here is not what the majority wants. 

2 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

People need to realize the coaches room only appeals to a small demographic. Most people do not want to listen to that or care about it. They want it simplistic and dumbed down to a degree like the MNF crew they are bringing in. All this analytical talk people like on here is not what the majority wants. 

That is why they have two broadcasts of the game, one with regular announcers and another with coaches game film that way the ones that do not like it have a option. Majority watch the regular game format anyways but the coaches room was awesome and they fucked it up.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

Then why have another broadcast at all? Just stick with the main one if this is just more of the same.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, formermav43 said:

Then why have another broadcast at all? Just stick with the main one if this is just more of the same.

Maybe it does better than whatever was going to be shown on ESPN news, but not good enough to pay a bunch of coaches to do it.  So stick in a crew that you are already under contract with you.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

Maybe it does better than whatever was going to be shown on ESPN news, but not good enough to pay a bunch of coaches to do it.  So stick in a crew that you are already under contract with you.

The cost aspect makes sense, sure. But from a ratings standpoint, doesn’t that really only make sense if the MNF crew brings in additional viewers? Is there a single person in America who thought, “Well, I was gonna skip Bama-Clemson, but now that I can hear Booger and Witten’s take I’m in.” Otherwise, you’re just dividing one audience.

(Of course, that could apply to the coaches too. Not sure multiple broadcasts are worth it in any case now that I think about it. This in particular doesn’t seem to offer a meaningful alternative, though, which at least the coaches did.)

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, formermav43 said:

The cost aspect makes sense, sure. But from a ratings standpoint, doesn’t that really only make sense if the MNF crew brings in additional viewers? Is there a single person in America who thought, “Well, I was gonna skip Bama-Clemson, but now that I can hear Booger and Witten’s take I’m in."

NFL fans. I'm guessing this is ESPN's gambit to draw in their eyeballs as well.

On 1/3/2019 at 1:47 PM, satyanash said:

NBC once broadcast an NFL game in 1980 with no announcers: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Announcerless_game

Despite the increase in ratings, the experiment was considered a failure and never tried again. 

If you have 5.1/7.1 and disconnect the center speaker you get pretty much the same effect....

As bad as this idea is, it seems like the least shitty of options, between suffering Derp Turdstreak on hte main channel, Turd MsShay on the next, or just random goofy camera angles.

If only there was some kind of Booger block one could activate it wouldn't be so bad.

4 minutes ago, DougO said:

As bad as this idea is, it seems like the least shitty of options, between suffering Derp Turdstreak on hte main channel, Turd MsShay on the next, or just random goofy camera angles.

If only there was some kind of Booger block one could activate it wouldn't be so bad.

Holy Hell, I just realized Turd McShit is on the same panel as Booger. I guess I'll just turn the sound completely off and find a radio broadcast.

I tuned in at halftime to see Booger bitching about the food they brought in. I couldn't take more than 3 minutes of their halftime analysis.

Also, someone said Witten did not know why the clock is stopping after a 1st down. How the fuck does a former college football player not know that?

I tuned in at halftime to see Booger bitching about the food they brought in. I couldn't take more than 3 minutes of their halftime analysis.

Also, someone said Witten did not know why the clock is stopping after a 1st down. How the fuck does a former college football player not know that?
CTE