What ever happened to hat etiquette?

Gil Bang

On 1/4/2019 at 11:59 AM, Gil Bang said:

I recently found myself in Ft. Worth of all places, in what could be classified as a "high end" restaurant.  

2 men  wearing cowboy hats at their tables.  

Is taking your hat off indoors not a thing anymore?  

Further, what ever happened to the straw hat in the summer, felt hat in the winter thing?  Has the bro-country crowd stomped that tradition into the ground? 

The delineation IMO is:

Hat off indoors

z%20text29.gif

Hat on indoors

57950-DEFAULT-l.jpg

My favorite idiocy is during meals at the family camp we go to every summer. Not a religious joint, but they always say a prayer before eating and inevitably some aggy will demand that everyone remove their hats during the prayer. Because some invisible, magical, omniscient being is really offended by hats during prayer.

Most of us don't and have to suffer aggy glares all week.

And if you agree with some stupid ass fucking uncover prayer tradition, you're either old or aggy and go fuck yourself.

• Like 2

On 1/7/2019 at 10:36 AM, NBMisha said:

Looks like it's the olds vs the balds on this issue.  What sayeth the old balds?

I own several cowboy hats, straw and felt, but rarely wear them. I wear my UT baseball hat pretty much everywhere (keeps sun off my bald head, and keeps it warmer in the winter).

I take it off in restaurants and houses and schools and such. I leave it on in places like stores or bars. If I ever went into a house of worship, I'd take it off. If I ever went into a fast food joint I'd probably leave it on.  I'd take it off in a movie theater if I ever went to the movies.

You better goddamn believe I take it off for the national anthem.

I can't imagine sitting down at a table to eat with a hat on. I also can't imagine wearing flip flops on an airplane.

1 hour ago, Jkwellborn said:

Most people remove their hats during prayer. Sorry you’re a godless heathen.

Except for The Pope, Catholic bishops, monks, Anglican bishops, Orthodox priests, the Joos, Mooslems, and probably others I am forgetting. The hat removers are likely the true heathens.

On 1/5/2019 at 1:32 PM, Rusty Shackelford said:

This.

The term “gimme cap” has been misused several times in this thread.

47030353618fda6fd839da150db52b27.jpg

I had two red ones like this, one mesh and one solid for the cold months.  Like Bozo said you didn't buy these, they were given to people.  But not just everybody.  There was a pecking order to gimmes.  Early on, the Bush Hog caps were pretty exclusive, they wouldn't sell you one even.    I guess the next step then was to collect on that popularity by selling them. 

Pioneer Seed company were the most common.  They probably started the whole thing actually.  

s-l500.jpg

4 minutes ago, pyrohornIII said:

Straw hat in summer to allow the heat to escape your head through the mesh, while blocking the sun and allowing wind to flow through.  Felt in the winter to do just the opposite.  Same for gimme caps.  Pretty simple really.  And you had dress and work hats of both types. 

You pairing that summer mesh hat with a par of low rise, mesh bikini bottoms ?

My dad used to get a free John Deere hat when he bought a new $80k tractor or $180k combine, but that was a LONG time ago. 

They also used to throw in a couple of those paper/disposable/diamond shaped kites with the John Deere logo on it when he he got service, but they would be useless after the first crash.

10 hours ago, High Plains Drifter said:

I own several cowboy hats, straw and felt, but rarely wear them. I wear my UT baseball hat pretty much everywhere (keeps sun off my bald head, and keeps it warmer in the winter).

I take it off in restaurants and houses and schools and such. I leave it on in places like stores or bars. If I ever went into a house of worship, I'd take it off. If I ever went into a fast food joint I'd probably leave it on.  I'd take it off in a movie theater if I ever went to the movies.

You better goddamn believe I take it off for the national anthem.

I can't imagine sitting down at a table to eat with a hat on.

Precisely.

10 hours ago, High Plains Drifter said:

I also can't imagine wearing flip flops on an airplane.

This is where we differ. But I will wear flip flops in the snow, running a bulldozer and got married in them, so there are very few circumstances I don't wear them.

15 minutes ago, Orange&White said:

My dad used to get a free John Deere hat when he bought a new $80k tractor or $180k combine, but that was a LONG time ago. 

They also used to throw in a couple of those paper/disposable/diamond shaped kites with the John Deere logo on it when he he got service, but they would be useless after the first crash.

If you ever need Deere stuff, I have storerooms full of the crap.

9 minutes ago, G650 said:

If you ever need Deere stuff, I have storerooms full of the crap.

I appreciate it, but Dad left the rice fields in the early 80's to become a golf pro and we left rural life way behind.

I guess I could rock a Deere hat around Austin an an ironical/hipster sort of way, but I'm old.

1 hour ago, pyrohornIII said:

47030353618fda6fd839da150db52b27.jpg

I had two red ones like this, one mesh and one solid for the cold months.  Like Bozo said you didn't buy these, they were given to people.  But not just everybody.  There was a pecking order to gimmes.  Early on, the Bush Hog caps were pretty exclusive, they wouldn't sell you one even.    I guess the next step then was to collect on that popularity by selling them. 

Pioneer Seed company were the most common.  They probably started the whole thing actually.  

s-l500.jpg

Anybody ever hear these caps called "mesh-backs"?

10 minutes ago, Orange&White said:

I appreciate it, but Dad left the rice fields in the early 80's to become a golf pro and we left rural life way behind.

I guess I could rock a Deere hat around Austin an an ironical/hipster sort of way, but I'm old.

I was mostly joking, but if you ever did want some I'd be happy to send.

I get it from buying bulldozers and excavators.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, davidg said:

Lone Star Feed and John Deere says Hi

In our part of Texas,  pioneer handed them out by the box it seems.  Deere was more selective according to buying power, so rarer.  Deere caps went to el jefe, while pioneer caps went to hands.   The only livestock raised was for FFA and 4H, so feed wasn't as big as seed.  

1 hour ago, Orange&White said:

Now you get a hat and a Stihl chainsaw. Bought a 5085 last year and they "threw" in the chainsaw. 

• Like 1

I will always take my hat off for the Star Spangled Banner but I never take it off for God Bless America. In fact, GBA is usually my signal for bathroom breaks during the 7th inning.

Yep, not that you necessarily implied otherwise, I hope God does bless America and the song is nice, but it is not our national anthem. Same goes for ATB. Makes me crazy when I see people covering their hearts when those two songs are played.

18 hours ago, High Plains Drifter said:

Just want to add, the demise of the hat rack in public places is a damned shame.

And why the hell are there not boot jacks at airport security lines?

I think maybe Lubbock may have them....I don't know where, but some airport had them and I was wearing boots. Was happy to see them.

7 hours ago, G650 said:

I was mostly joking, but if you ever did want some I'd be happy to send.

I get it from buying bulldozers and excavators.

You buy JD dozers and excavators?  Why?    How does price stack up vs. Cat and others? 

There used to be quite a few JD 860 Scrapers around, but I don't know that I've ever seen a JD dozer except the small D-3/D-4ish sizes. 

50 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

You buy JD dozers and excavators?  Why?    How does price stack up vs. Cat and others? 

There used to be quite a few JD 860 Scrapers around, but I don't know that I've ever seen a JD dozer except the small D-3/D-4ish sizes. 

Caterpillar makes mediocre equipment and acts like they are doing you a favor by letting you buy it. I've got probably 25 pieces of Cat equipment still, but I think the last one I got was around 06. They haven't made a tractor worth a damn in years.

Deere has always had a full range of tractors, the 750 and 850 have been around longer than I have been alive. The have a 1050 as well that Liebherr used to make for them but they started producing themselves.

To be honest, the excavators are nothing to write home about, but the dealer here is top notch. I still buy 80% Liebherr, but I've got 4 Deere ones too.