What ever happened to hat etiquette?

Gil Bang

4 minutes ago, RDCanecutter said:

You can wear a fluorescent top hat at the movies, and I'll like you better than the jackwagon who blinds me with his phone checking to see what Tiffanaaaaay said about Skylerrrrrr.

The last time I went to the moving pictures the usher had a pretty bright flashlight, I thought that was kind of rude.

I'm from a small CenTex town and all the farmers and cowboys wear their hats inside pretty much everywhere. I never knew this was a thing until adulthood. Not a big deal to me.
Guess you and your small town were raised in a barn
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Armybrat said:

Then you are showing no respect towards others, especially the ladies.

Seriously, please explain this.  My grandparents ask us to remove hats when eating with them at a table and I do because they ask, but no one has ever explained why...

I get many of these old school manners come from a different time.

200 years ago it was good manners when walking on a sidewalk with a woman to walk closest to the street because people could dump their bed pans out the window and landed on the person under the window.

Then 100 years ago it switched, due to indoor plumbing and speeding cars, and it became good manners to protect a woman from falling into the street and being hit by a speeding cars or puddles that they could kick up, so the man walked closest to the street.

Similarly as a kid I was told to ride my bike on the side of the road flowing against traffic so I could see oncoming traffic and now kids are told to ride with traffic I guess due to the increase in dedicated bike lanes.

I get that some manners had a purpose back in the day but the hat thing never made sense to me.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Hate said:

Still nobody has answered why removing your hat indoors became a thing. Why is it rude to wear a hat indoors?

It's not.  Take your hat off when invited into someone's house, sitting down for a meal, going to church (except yarmulkes), and during the Star Spangled Banner.  You can leave your hat on at Home Depot, HEB, Wal-Mart, and anywhere else you damned well please.

• Like 2

I’m not a fan of people wearing hats indoors. I don’t wear a hat unless it’s a boonie during the summer or a toboggan when it’s cold. Either one is coming off as soon as I step in.

I won’t say anything to someone for wearing one inside though. That’s not my job to worry about trivial stuff with others.

10 minutes ago, Hate said:

Ok. Why is it rude to wear a hat while sitting down for a meal?why is it rude to wear a hat in someone’s hone?

https://www.thespruce.com/etiquette-of-hats-indoors-1216685

I wear hats when my hair is messed up and I don't want to shower, however, I remove my hat when eating, bad hair and all.  Otherwise, I shower, brush my damned hair, and go anywhere I please.  "Remove cover" is code for military or offspring of military (forced to do so), not that there is anything wrong with that.

Edited by Jerry Callo

5 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

It's not.  Take your hat off when invited into someone's house, sitting down for a meal, going to church (except yarmulkes), and during the Star Spangled Banner.  You can leave your hat on at Home Depot, HEB, Wal-Mart, and anywhere else you damned well please.

I understand church and fancy events/meals that wearing hats isn’t appropriate, and sure star spangled banner don’t really care about these,

But why people’s homes in a non formal setting or sitting down for a meal at a not fancy restaurant.

If I go to a kid birthday party at someone’s house I’m wearing a hat, if I’m playing poker across the street I’m wearing a hat, if I get invite to a dinner party I won’t wear a hat like I won’t wear a t shirt, shorts or flip flops either that falls under a formal setting IMO.

If I go to a nice restaurant like a nice steak or seafood place where I’m gonna spend at least $50 a plate or more (Capital Grill or Eddy V’s) I won’t wear a hat, but if it’s Texas Roadhouse or Red Lobster I wear a hat.

6 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

https://www.thespruce.com/etiquette-of-hats-indoors-1216685

I wear hats when my hair is messed up and I don't want to shower, however, I remove my hat when eating, bad hair and all.  Otherwise, I shower, brush my damned hair, and go anywhere I please.  "Remove cover" is code for military or offspring of military (forced to do so), not that there is anything wrong with that.

BINGO, so no real reason that applies in today’s world other than appeasing old people (like the author of this article https://www.thespruce.com/debby-mayne-1216417) and people trying to enforce military discipline outside of the military.

Hats were originally designed to keep the head warm, protect it from the sun, and keep the dust out of his eyes. They were removed when the man went indoors to prevent the dust on the hat from getting on the furniture and floor of the house.

• Like 2

Went to a funeral two weeks ago.  Some guy wore his gimme cap through the whole thing.  and it was in a church.  Had an asshole uncle there who got about 10 minutes in before his wife made him take off his black felt.   Back in the day, the brim came off as you entered the church or restaurant, house, whatever.  I can remember hat racks in our church lined with businessmen stetsons. 

I am with Armybrat, but then i was raised with two grandfathers who both wore fedoras or mechanics caps...they always uncovered when going indoors, except at places of business like grocers and lumber yards.

I think the basis for removing headwear goes back to ancient times when people removed helmets and hoods out of respect for who they were meeting...to expose their face for identification purposes.   It still lingers as a polite thing to do to show respect for someone, or something. 

Edited by pyrohornIII
added hatracks
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, Hate said:

Ok. Why is it rude to wear a hat while sitting down for a meal?why is it rude to wear a hat in someone’s hone?

Because we have opposable thumbs ?  

PyrohornIII has a pretty good take on it I think. It's an old convention that just became a manners thing for people. You're probably not gonna go to a fiery lake of lava after you die for not Taking it off, but Do ya' really wanna risk it ???

Sounds like we got a bunch a balds up in here all self conscious and shit about the glare from their domes.

Edited by Onboard 2.0