What ever happened to hat etiquette?

Gil Bang

I've close to 30 hats. Stetsons,Resistol's, Cavanaugh's, Akubra's, Baileys and Montecristi's from Panama. Fedora's, cattleman's,  trilby's, outback, boaters, homburgs and even a couple of sombrero's. I've even got 3 that are 60+ years old and 1 close to 90.And one John Deere gimme cap. You wear your hats to show them off. I'll wear them inside for a few minutes, but always take them off when we sit down at a restaurant or enter a guests house.

But I have another question concerning cowboy hats. When the hell did they dictate that they have to be as big as Sally Field's habit from the Flying Nun or the wings off a sprint car?

On 1/11/2019 at 9:55 PM, Crapinon said:

But I have another question concerning cowboy hats. When the hell did they dictate that they have to be as big as Sally Field's habit from the Flying Nun or the wings off a sprint car?

71BTtn3owtL._SX425_.jpg

4 minutes ago, Crapinon said:

Na. I'm not picking on the King. I'm talking about the cowboy hats that look like an airfoil on a sprint car. I'll try to find a pic. 

Wasn't picking on him either, but he stoked the big hat/hatband thing when the Urban Cowboy craze got started.

I think you're talking about the "bull rider" hats that are large brim and pulled down in the front and back.

Edited by RPM

Hat etiquette has always struck me as something that might have been rooted in a logical basis, but just got grandfathered into tradition and no one ever questioned why.

I was always taught it was impolite to wear hats inside, but no one could ever explain why.  Which immediately sets off bullshit detectors in a kid.

I'll take it off during the national anthem, and as others have said, I wouldn't wear a hat to a fancy restaurant just the same way I wouldn't wear a t-shirt or sandals.  I don't view them as formal, but they aren't offensive either.  The anthem thing seems arbitrary, but you're always asked to do it, and I don't see the need to start some kind of confrontation over a fucking hat.  There's nothing inherently anti-American about hats.

47030353618fda6fd839da150db52b27.jpg
I had two red ones like this, one mesh and one solid for the cold months.  Like Bozo said you didn't buy these, they were given to people.  But not just everybody.  There was a pecking order to gimmes.  Early on, the Bush Hog caps were pretty exclusive, they wouldn't sell you one even.    I guess the next step then was to collect on that popularity by selling them. 
Pioneer Seed company were the most common.  They probably started the whole thing actually.  
s-l500.jpg

I was a Funk’s Hybrid guy myself. 56631c50db51f8c6b8814a5d791daa32.jpg

1 hour ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Hat etiquette has always struck me as something that might have been rooted in a logical basis, but just got grandfathered into tradition and no one ever questioned why.

I was always taught it was impolite to wear hats inside, but no one could ever explain why.  Which immediately sets off bullshit detectors in a kid.

I'll take it off during the national anthem, and as others have said, I wouldn't wear a hat to a fancy restaurant just the same way I wouldn't wear a t-shirt or sandals.  I don't view them as formal, but they aren't offensive either.  The anthem thing seems arbitrary, but you're always asked to do it, and I don't see the need to start some kind of confrontation over a fucking hat.  There's nothing inherently anti-American about hats.

Manners and opposable thumbs are the only things that distinguish us from the animals.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Manners and opposable thumbs are the only things that distinguish us from the animals.

Sure.  Most manners are rooted in the idea of being good to other people, which is completely logical.

The presence of headwear in and of itself is only bad manners because someone long ago decided that was the case, and people just keep running with it.  Other manners, such as saying please and thank you, holding doors open, etc, all demonstrate an awareness of others, and demonstrate a level of selflessness and humility.

What does a hat communicate?  It's completely personal to an individual, and it doesn't logically effect their interactions with others unless you have made the conscious decision that people wearing hats inside offends you.  Removing a hat doesn't extend any level of kindness or helpfulness to another, the way the majority of socially accepted manners do.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Sure.  Most manners are rooted in the idea of being good to other people, which is completely logical.

The presence of headwear in and of itself is only bad manners because someone long ago decided that was the case, and people just keep running with it.  Other manners, such as saying please and thank you, holding doors open, etc, all demonstrate an awareness of others, and demonstrate a level of selflessness and humility.

What does a hat communicate?  It's completely personal to an individual, and it doesn't logically effect their interactions with others unless you have made the conscious decision that people wearing hats inside offends you.  Removing a hat doesn't extend any level of kindness or helpfulness to another, the way the majority of socially accepted manners do.

Yeah it's just one of those old social conventions that people have used as a way to create a code of etiquette, every civilization has them.  Why is it taboo to wear white after Labor Day. ?  It's all location driven in my opinion. The more formal the event or location, the less acceptable a hat is indoors in most cases. That's just a rule of thumb I've always subscribed too.

Taking your hat off for the anthem is definitely a sign of showing respect to the flag, and folks who've defended it in my opinion.  It's the least arbitrary of the hat rules  IMO.

16 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Yeah it's just one of those old social conventions that people have used as a way to create a code of etiquette, every civilization has them.  Why is it taboo to wear white after Labor Day. ?  It's all location driven in my opinion. The more formal the event or location, the less acceptable a hat is indoors in most cases. That's just a rule of thumb I've always subscribed too.

Taking your hat off for the anthem is definitely a sign of showing respect to the flag, and folks who've defended it in my opinion.  It's the least arbitrary of the hat rules  IMO.

It's arbitrary in the sense that there's nothing about a hat's presence that says "fuck you, America".  It's been somewhat universally agreed that leaving it on is disrespectful, so I remove it during the anthem not because I find it disrespectful, but there will be someone within eye shot that will, and they will cause a scene.  Again, it's only disrespectful because it was collectively agreed to be. 

To contrast, the disrespect intended in flag burning is obvious.  You are literally destroying the item, which symbolizes the country.  You could take someone from nearly any culture on the planet, and they would likely see the destruction of the symbol as intending disrespect.  A hat is not obviously disrespectful.

Edited by Al_4_ISU

It's arbitrary in the sense that there's nothing about a hat's presence that says "fuck you, America".  It's been somewhat universally agreed that leaving it on is disrespectful, so I remove it during the anthem not because I find it disrespectful, but there will be someone within eye shot that will, and they will cause a scene.  Again, it's only disrespectful because it was collectively agreed to be. 
To contrast, the disrespect intended in flag burning is obvious.  You are literally destroying the item, which symbolizes the country.  You could take someone from nearly any culture on the planet, and they would likely see the destruction of the symbol as intending disrespect.  A hat is not obviously disrespectful.

Except for when burning an old tattered flag. That is the proper means of disposing of a worn flag.

1 hour ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Covering your head or uncovering your head has had religious traditions tied to it, and usually it has something to do with showing respect. The gesture isn't arbitrary when taken from that perspective.

37 minutes ago, HouTex said:

Except for when burning an old tattered flag. That is the proper means of disposing of a worn flag.

Which has a ceremony that expresses an obvious reverence, instead of the usually violent/defiant behavior that accompanies a protest style burning.

There are certain gestures whose intention can cross cultural/language boundaries.  These are the ones I view as less arbitrary.  Things which are purely customary, or are rooted in a gesture whose meaning has long been lost are the ones I view as arbitrary.  We have socially chosen to embrace them despite the action having no greater context in our society.

Edited by Al_4_ISU

6 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Which has a ceremony that expresses an obvious reverence, instead of the usually violent/defiant behavior that accompanies a protest style burning.

Exactly.  Which is why flag burning as a protest is clearly protected under the 1st amendment.

• Like 2

On 1/16/2019 at 1:44 PM, GringoSalado said:

s-l1600.jpg

???

No. I understand a full brim hat. I can't really find a good pic online. Maybe it's just a west Texas thing. It's like they take a wide brimmed western hat and bend the sides up at  a 90 degree angle,  where the side edges are as tall as the crown. 

4 hours ago, Crapinon said:

No. I understand a full brim hat. I can't really find a good pic online. Maybe it's just a west Texas thing. It's like they take a wide brimmed western hat and bend the sides up at  a 90 degree angle,  where the side edges are as tall as the crown. 

Your "airfoil on a sprint car" comment now makes sense. I have seen a few of those.

7 hours ago, Crapinon said:

Like this?

500x500.jpg