What ever happened to hat etiquette?

Gil Bang

I recently found myself in Ft. Worth of all places, in what could be classified as a "high end" restaurant.  

2 men  wearing cowboy hats at their tables.  

Is taking your hat off indoors not a thing anymore?  

Further, what ever happened to the straw hat in the summer, felt hat in the winter thing?  Has the bro-country crowd stomped that tradition into the ground? 

• Like 6

They'd never see a Jewish person back in Kansas, but my in-laws were once deeply puzzled and borderline upset when seeing a Jewish man wearing a yarmulke into a Catholic mass in Texas.  He was obviously a guest of someone's, and was one of millions of Jewish men that would never think to enter a house of worship of any faith with a bare head.  They were mumbling about how rude it was to wear a hat of any kind into one of their churches.  I started with, "First of all, they're not hats.."  Then I just stopped talking about sat down in the pew.  

It seems a few years ago, much of the adult population fell into two camps and they both frequently overlap.  One thinks that what other people are wearing is somehow their business even though most adults themselves get on airplanes or enter restaurants having just gotten the idea to fly or dine out whilst changing their own motor oil.  The second is a group that somehow thinks that it's not what they say or do, but what they wear, that demonstrates to the world what kind of a person they are.  Both camps annoy me, so I'm left to the conclusion that unless you stink really bad---wear whatever you want wherever you want---who gives a fuck.  

16 minutes ago, softlynow said:

People singing about cheap plastic cups and playing video games make millions a year. Peanuts cause mass panic. Snorting condoms up the nose became a thing. I’m surprised most of us still shit in toilets. 

you still shit in a toilet???

showers are where everyone is shitting these days

Edited by Wally Fairway
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

They'd never see a Jewish person back in Kansas, but my in-laws were once deeply puzzled and borderline upset when seeing a Jewish man wearing a yarmulke into a Catholic mass in Texas.  He was obviously a guest of someone's, and was one of millions of Jewish men that would never think to enter a house of worship of any faith with a bare head.  They were mumbling about how rude it was to wear a hat of any kind into one of their churches.  I started with, "First of all, they're not hats.."  Then I just stopped talking about sat down in the pew.  

It seems a few years ago, much of the adult population fell into two camps and they both frequently overlap.  One thinks that what other people are wearing is somehow their business even though most adults themselves get on airplanes or enter restaurants having just gotten the idea to fly or dine out whilst changing their own motor oil.  The second is a group that somehow thinks that it's not what they say or do, but what they wear, that demonstrates to the world what kind of a person they are.  Both camps annoy me, so I'm left to the conclusion that unless you stink really bad---wear whatever you want wherever you want---who gives a fuck.  

Off topic, but if you enter a mosque you are expected to take your shoes off. If you are a woman, you are expected to cover your head in a hijab. You are also expected to worship in a different area than the men. With that in mind, why is wearing a yarmulke in a Catholic church considered OK?

I don't have a dog in the fight as I'm not religious, but I'm curious as to why you would not consider this to be impolite. 

Timely, was just thinking about this yesterday.

When I was 10, my dad saw the writing on the wall at Kodak and decided to go active duty USAF after years in the reserves. From then until I was 18 I lived the brat life mostly on base housing. Naturally the topic of hat etiquette wasn’t academic but a requirement.

For me it was a small representation of the entire concept of respect that is deeply ingrained in the military. Just like you stopped your car or your walk when the anthem was played on base or calling officers sir or the hours my dad spent with a tiny ruler getting his rank/badges/ribbons to spec. It kills me to see people wear their cover indoors.

Speaking of respect I have to give a shout out to my dad. Made the tough decision to uproot his family for active duty life, but made the most of it by pulling off the highly improbable run by advancing from a reservist O-3 to full bird O-6, getting his 20 years despite being well behind everyone else in age, experience and all the other factors that go in front of the boards. The way he treated everyone with respect, without ‘officer syndrome’ even to his E-2s, set an example I try to live by. It also endeared him to his peers and kept me on the straight and narrow to avoid fucking up his career.

Everyone is sir or ma’am to me, I don’t wear hats except at ACL but you bet your ass I’d take it off indoors.

• Like 9

7 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

Then you are showing no respect towards others, especially the ladies.

Of course if they are ill bred too, then it won’t matter to them.

Like I said, olds.

Who gives a shit if I'm wearing a hat at Chick Fil A or the movies?

Edited by Chewbacca

3 hours ago, Spankytoes said:

Off topic, but if you enter a mosque you are expected to take your shoes off. If you are a woman, you are expected to cover your head in a hijab. You are also expected to worship in a different area than the men. With that in mind, why is wearing a yarmulke in a Catholic church considered OK?

I don't have a dog in the fight as I'm not religious, but I'm curious as to why you would not consider this to be impolite. 

They're Catholic. You just admit your sin and ask for forgiveness. They're pretty generous with it. It was the one thing I enjoyed being raised Catholic. 

"Wait, I just have to admit I fucked up, apologize, and say a few Hail Mary's? Ok, cool. Hook 'em!"

3 minutes ago, Deej said:

They're Catholic. You just admit your sin and ask for forgiveness. They're pretty generous with it. It was the one thing I enjoyed being raised Catholic. 

"Wait, I just have to admit I fucked up, apologize, and say a few Hail Mary's? Ok, cool. Hook 'em!"

Yeah, a rosary is like a get out of Hell card