What ever happened to hat etiquette?

Gil Bang

On 1/4/2019 at 12:59 PM, Gil Bang said:

I recently found myself in Ft. Worth of all places, in what could be classified as a "high end" restaurant.  

2 men  wearing cowboy hats at their tables.  

Is taking your hat off indoors not a thing anymore?  

Further, what ever happened to the straw hat in the summer, felt hat in the winter thing?  Has the bro-country crowd stomped that tradition into the ground? 

My old man would swoop down from the great beyond and put a knot on my head for wearing my hat at the table.

As far as the straw/felt issue, I agree with straw for summer and felt for winter.  The problem is that Texas winters can be pretty damned warm.  I bought a new felt Resistol 4 years ago and this is the first winter that I've worn it more than 3 or 4 times. So far I have worn it straight through, hope the weather stays cool all the way to spring.

• Like 1

wearing a cowboy hat isn't what it used to be. it's a fashion statement no different than wearing a watch at this point. very few people who wear a cowboy hat punch cattle for a living or own cattle. owning cattle and a ranch is romantic but super hard work with little money unless you have oil& gas. I own a ranch and have cattle but its very secondary. i wear a cowboy hat that is worn out and cost $30. I only take it off at a nice sit down restaurant. 

I don’t take mine off when I’m in a bar. I always take it off when I’m in a restaurant or somebody’s home. I also take caps off when I’m in a restaurant. There’s nothing wrong with wearing a felt year round but they get awfully warm down here. Straws in the winter look silly. Don’t ever put your hat on a bed either. 

Edited by Lat22
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, NBMisha said:

Looks like it's the olds vs the balds on this issue.  What sayeth the old balds?

I'm 56 (tip:  when you young guys get to be in your 50's you will not think you are old) and I've been bald since my mid 30's.  Don't mind it all and I keep it cut very close.  It's so low maintenance I'm not sure I would want my hair back.  Caps/hats are great outdoors and I always wear one to keep the sun off my dome.  I wish fedoras would come back in style for business dress.  Thanks JFK.  Caps/hats should be taken off indoors.  

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Sandman said:

My mom used to get after me about wearing a ballcap at the table but didn't care about it indoors, in general. My dad was career military and never cared if I wore a cap in the house. 

Was pops in a medical setting? Those folks don't play by the normal rules.

1 hour ago, HouTex said:

I'm 56 (tip:  when you young guys get to be in your 50's you will not think you are old) and I've been bald since my mid 30's.  Don't mind it all and I keep it cut very close.  It's so low maintenance I'm not sure I would want my hair back.  Caps/hats are great outdoors and I always wear one to keep the sun off my dome.  I wish fedoras would come back in style for business dress.  Thanks JFK.  Caps/hats should be taken off indoors.  

I'm 41 and wore my felt Akubra fedora on a recent trip.  Got a ton of compliments from the women - they love that shit.  Looks best with a suit though.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Errestaurants said:

wearing a cowboy hat isn't what it used to be. it's a fashion statement no different than wearing a watch at this point. very few people who wear a cowboy hat punch cattle for a living or own cattle. owning cattle and a ranch is romantic but super hard work with little money unless you have oil& gas. I own a ranch and have cattle but its very secondary. i wear a cowboy hat that is worn out and cost $30. I only take it off at a nice sit down restaurant. 

tumblr_penkc3kj0d1wzvt9qo1_400.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, El Diablo said:

Was pops in a medical setting? Those folks don't play by the normal rules.

As a matter of fact, he was. Started off as an ENT tech, retired as head of nursing services. I always saw him follow protocol at the hospital, though. He did 26 years, he wasn't one to cut corners. 

4 minutes ago, Sandman said:

As a matter of fact, he was. Started off as an ENT tech, retired as head of nursing services. I always saw him follow protocol at the hospital, though. He did 26 years, he wasn't one to cut corners. 

I'm sure he carried himself with proper military bearing. The folks that I had contact with in the medical community within the military though generally were an easier going bunch. Not unprofessional, just not as uptight as many others. I think that providing care to the sick/suffering tempered their expectations for behavior in others and maybe made them just a little more compassionate about the enforcement of rules that often seemed pointless particularly in a medical setting. Thank your pops for me if he's still around, I appreciate his service.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Rusty Shackelford said:

Yeah I don’t like visors anyway, but this guy looks like such a dumbass wearing a visor on his bald head and a heavy winter coat when it’s A. Night Time and B. Sub-freezing temperature

But what if the contractors are parked in front of your house? Is a visor ok then?

• Like 1

I’ve got family and friends that ranch for a living and some wear felt year round, some will wear felt only when eating/gathering and work in a palm/straw year round. 

None gaf about who thinks what of which type or setting they are wearing it in; they are more concerned if they will make money that year. Also, every one of them I can think of, even the olds, have squared toed boots. Maybe not in church on some of the olds, but when working without a doubt. 

27 minutes ago, El Diablo said:

I'm sure he carried himself with proper military bearing. The folks that I had contact with in the medical community within the military though generally were an easier going bunch. Not unprofessional, just not as uptight as many others. I think that providing care to the sick/suffering tempered their expectations for behavior in others and maybe made them just a little more compassionate about the enforcement of rules that often seemed pointless particularly in a medical setting. Thank your pops for me if he's still around, I appreciate his service.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSlfvPDz_nSQXY0WgiG0LN

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Sandman said:

My mom used to get after me about wearing a ballcap at the table but didn't care about it indoors, in general. My dad was career military and never cared if I wore a cap in the house. 

Your mom had no issues with me wearing a cap, even said it was for my own protection. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, SHOOTER12 said:

As far as the straw/felt issue, I agree with straw for summer and felt for winter.  The problem is that Texas winters can be pretty damned warm.  I bought a new felt Resistol 4 years ago and this is the first winter that I've worn it more than 3 or 4 times. So far I have worn it straight through, hope the weather stays cool all the way to spring.

Same here. I agree with the concept in theory but it's often too warm to wear a felt hat.

My dad, a rancher, wears felt hats in season no matter the temperature and his hat will end up looking like he just finished serving in the civil war with it. If you are doing manual labor all day and have a full head of hair those things will get some serious sweat rings.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, F250 said:

Same here. I agree with the concept in theory but it's often too warm to wear a felt hat.

My dad, a rancher, wears felt hats in season no matter the temperature and his hat will end up looking like he just finished serving in the civil war with it. If you are doing manual labor all day and have a full head of hair those things will get some serious sweat rings.

Your dad is the real deal.  There's been times the last few years that I can make a brand new straw look 10 years old through 1 winter.  Unfortunately I am hot natured as hell.

This is accurate. Pop retired as Lt Col and ran base hospitals. Never mentioned anything about hats aside from church.

Seriously, if you are ever having a conversation with your buddy and you think to yourself, “Man, i sure feel disrespected right now because old Bob didn’t take his hat off before we started talking”, then you should probably just kill yourself becuase your going to be offended by pretty much everything.

• Like 2

I don't wear hats to fancy restaurants/bars/whatever but I do wear hats indoors. My hair is very oily so if I'm outside doing slave labor ordered by the wife yard work and I'm wearing a hat, I'm not going to take it off when I go to Central Market or to the movies. Even if I'm not doing laborous work and I just haven't washed my hair in the last 12 hours, I'll put a hat on. Nobody has ever said anything to me about it being rude or inappropriate. Then again, my dad went 15 years before he told me that my outgoing voicemail message was terrible so I could be totally wrong.

On 1/4/2019 at 5:22 PM, woohorn said:

Hats off for The Eyes?

(Don't even get me started on how many hats I see during the National Anthem...)

This here. People suck. First thing I thought of when I saw the thread title. My two boys know to take their hats off for the anthem and do it without being reminded, but now it's common AF to see grown-ass men keeping them on without even a 2nd thought. Assholes.

Edited by wood
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

Just because doing something is polite doesn't mean that not doing it offends me, it just means that you are an ignorant, uncouth slob who doesn't deserve my respect.

Bro, you married a stripper.

• Haha 1