Fighter Jets Buzzing NW Austin Just Now (11:15ish)

hornian

1 minute ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

Here for the inauguration, I'd imagine.

Correct.  4 F-16s, just did a flyover of the inauguration.  There's also counter-snipers on nearby rooftops.  All dressed up to play army, with their gillie-fabric covered rifle (really blends in to the concrete roof) next to them.

I clicked on Surly and got a No Server Available message. Then I heard the sound of military jet engines overhead. I was a little worried there for a second. We were either going toe to toe with the Rooskies in nuclear combat or Tom Herman had coaxed Greg Davis out of retirement to run the offense.

Sure am glad it wasn't the second one.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I clicked on Surly and got a No Server Available message. Then I heard the sound of military jet engines overhead. I was a little worried there for a second. We were either going toe to toe with the Rooskies in nuclear combat or Tom Herman had coaxed Greg Davis out of retirement to run the offense.
Sure am glad it wasn't the second one.

Myanmar Muslim Cyber Force defense drill

On 1/15/2019 at 3:05 PM, JimmyHoffa said:

SaltyDisguisedGalah-size_restricted.gif

A few years ago,  I was driving down Old Blanco road just north of San Antonio when several chinooks flew over and a bunch of paratroopers started jumping out.

My kids were thrilled by the sight of all the paratroopers in the sky and asked where they were going.

My reply, "I don't know but I would say they are way off course."

Sadly, no one got the Red Dawn reference from the gif you posted. So I just said, Camp Bullis.

Meh, gettin y'all panties in a wad over some f16's?

Sheeit, back when Austin skies were full of F4's and KC135's and B52's. Loud ass motherfuckers. Especially when the F4s and B52s would take off over apt city on Riverside. F4s landing were great fun too, sumbitches whistle comin in.

Ps, you know they aren't gonna have the Moon Towers any longer.

7 hours ago, MrPhlegm said:

Sheeit, back when Austin skies were full of F4's and KC135's and B52's. Loud ass motherfuckers. Especially when the F4s and B52s would take off over apt city on Riverside.

Bridgeport used to play Lake Worth back in the day. Their field is right in the flightpath of Carswell and those big mothers were LOW. When they scrambled the wing the refs would have to squeeze in plays between B52's overhead at takeoff throttle. You could feel the noise just pass right through you every 30 seconds or so.

On 1/20/2019 at 4:32 PM, Llano Estacado said:

‘cause some drunk freshman fell off. He went right down the middle, smacking his head on every beam, man. I hear it doesn't hurt after the first couple though. Autopsy said he had one beer, man. How many did you have?

No.

They ain't gonna have 'em any shorter, either.

The Turks had F-4s when we were stationed in Incirlik, loved hearing classic turbojets whine...then again that base in the 90s was a great place to be as an aviation nerd...F15C/Es, F16s, S-3s, French Jaguars, a few E3s, C130s, occasional C5, KC135s, the L1011 ‘freedom bird’ to move dependents between Philly/Lajes/Aviano/Incirlik, even saw the E4B doomsday/Night Watch bird (guarded by guys with rifles when the president was in-theater).

I’d ride my bike around the flight line. The one place that was truly off limits was this metal building with the NATO emblem on the side and no numbers on the outside...has these dirt slopes on the sides and some serious barbed wire around it. I think that’s where the B-61s were kept though I hope they’re not there anymore given how much that country has become jacked up lately.

/csb I know.