Time for another ‘my dog is awesome’ thread

Patricio Swayze

Rooting around in my Photos app and rediscovered this one. Rufus, aged 8 or 9 then (rescued, shady past) 10 now, watches far too much TV. Hates that fucking emu, most dogs, all turtles and any reptile really. In real life he loves other dogs. Mr. Rufus is complicated. I digress; he HATES Wheel of Fortune with great passion. Every damn day beginning around 6:00 PM he gets agitated, grumbling, barking a bit randomly, preparing himself for 6:30. He's usually laser focused on what's being prepared for dinner but springs to action with the first sound of music. If he's too focused he sure as shit breaks when the announcer's voice comes on. I suspect he hates Pat Sajack the most, Sajack and the triple tossup graphic.

2062FBB3-F9DD-475F-B17B-43AD7225B030_1_105_c.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 5

On 9/9/2023 at 9:16 AM, Dewey said:

Every day I take my dog to the park. Here in El Paso, unless you want to water every day or have Astro turf, yards pretty much suck, so we go to the park every day. Anyway, last Saturday I noticed a dog on my way there, on my way back, dog is still there. She must have been dumped, she's scared and lives under a couch on the side of a road. Since then I have been feeding her and trying to get the city to pick her up. They came out Thursday I guess and couldn't find her, so I made a new case.( El paso is no kill). 

Work keeps me from home, I haven't seen my family since Christmas, going home on the 14th to see my 80 year old mother and take in the Texas/Wyoming game with my brother. What I hope happens, is that the city gets her, when I get back, if she hasn't found a good home, I'll take her. I can tell she's a sweet dog, when I drive up now she comes out of hiding, wagging her tal, glad to see me. She still won't let me touch her, but yesterday she put her sniffer on me. So I'm close. 

People suck, but we have to live with them. Pit mix. 

Any more on her?

• Hook 'Em 1

17 hours ago, Dewey said:

I called the city twice, they came out, said she ran off, couldn't find her. I called the dog catcher directly because he called me, never heard back. 

I went back home to see family and take in the Wyoming game with my brother, I was gone for a total of 4 days, when I got back and drove down her street, her couch was gone, her bowls that other people had left her, gone. 

I was a bit worried, but also hopeful they got her, good home, all of that in her future. Nope, when I drove back, there she was, looking good as she could, all things considered.

There's a cemetery with a small wall on her street, I put a big bucket behind the wall for water, she can eat and drink away from traffic.

Every morning I feed her on my way to work. I do the same after and check on her in the evening. 

She knows me now, comes out of hiding when my truck rolls down her street. She comes close to sniff me, she stretches out right before eating, but she won't let me pet her yet. 

That's about it 

Seriously good on you man.  

• Hook 'Em 3

On 9/19/2023 at 11:45 AM, Fuga said:

Rooting around in my Photos app and rediscovered this one. Rufus, aged 8 or 9 then (rescued, shady past) 10 now, watches far too much TV. Hates that fucking emu, most dogs, all turtles and any reptile really. In real life he loves other dogs. Mr. Rufus is complicated. I digress; he HATES Wheel of Fortune with great passion. Every damn day beginning around 6:00 PM he gets agitated, grumbling, barking a bit randomly, preparing himself for 6:30. He's usually laser focused on what's being prepared for dinner but springs to action with the first sound of music. If he's too focused he sure as shit breaks when the announcer's voice comes on. I suspect he hates Pat Sajack the most, Sajack and the triple tossup graphic.

2062FBB3-F9DD-475F-B17B-43AD7225B030_1_105_c.jpeg

Nuts! I thought I had uploaded the video. A shame y'all did not get to see him in full attack.

• Hook 'Em 1

My daughter's little Chihuahua is 12 and starting to get very stiff, and sometimes yelps when getting up.  It's a pretty good dog as far as far as chihuahuas go and is not yappy at all.  I originally got her as kind of a therapy dog for my daughter.  She's on the spectrum and intellectually impaired.  When she was little she would sometimes have uncontrollable fits and the dog really helped with that.  My daughter has really made a lot of progress and is actually becoming somewhat independent and I don't want the demise of her little Tinkabell to ruin all of her progress.  I put her on joint supplements and was thinking about trying some CBD.  Any suggestions along those lines so I don't get scammed, or kill her dog myself?  This is her when I first got the little thing.  She loves that dog to death.

IMG_0438.JPG

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Fuga said:

I doubt any thing untoward would result from CBD. I know many swear by it for all sorts of things.

It's great to hear of your daughter's progress.

BTW, sure does look more like a Pug than a Chihuahua. Possibly what we in the Pug world call a Chug?

I promised her she could have a chihuahua and the lady in the parking lot with puppies in a box swore they were chihuahuas.  She asked me why we didn’t have her DNA tested like we did Sebastian and I told her didn’t have to because we knew she was pure Chihuahua.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

My daughter's little Chihuahua is 12 and starting to get very stiff, and sometimes yelps when getting up.  It's a pretty good dog as far as far as chihuahuas go and is not yappy at all.  I originally got her as kind of a therapy dog for my daughter.  She's on the spectrum and intellectually impaired.  When she was little she would sometimes have uncontrollable fits and the dog really helped with that.  My daughter has really made a lot of progress and is actually becoming somewhat independent and I don't want the demise of her little Tinkabell to ruin all of her progress.  I put her on joint supplements and was thinking about trying some CBD.  Any suggestions along those lines so I don't get scammed, or kill her dog myself?  This is her when I first got the little thing.  She loves that dog to death.

IMG_0438.JPG

In a discussion a few weeks ago about arthritic dogs, someone suggested a tumeric paste. I make a homemade one that is messy as hell to make. Blue still limps, but does seem to have a lot more energy. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

I've got a 15yo pug that tears up and down the stairs still - I give him a costco 8-1 dog chew in the morning and evening and it really seems to help with his mobility. It's basically a dog multivitamin and a joint chew all in one. And he LOVES em

Our son lives out in the country outside Shawnee OK. Yesterday someone dumped 10 puppies at their house near their barn. Weaned, great shape, in a nice large kennel.

9 boys 1 girl. They look like lab/ mutts and very nice looking dogs. I think my son will keep one I mean two maybe three. My wife was naming them in the pics and wanted to drive up and get four or five. We’re dogless at the moment and not ready for another. Or five.

They know no one with a preggo dog but it’s like they knew they would care for them.

A special ring of hell for folks that dump dogs like that.

• Hook 'Em 4

On 9/19/2023 at 7:51 PM, Dewey said:

I called the city twice, they came out, said she ran off, couldn't find her. I called the dog catcher directly because he called me, never heard back. 

I went back home to see family and take in the Wyoming game with my brother, I was gone for a total of 4 days, when I got back and drove down her street, her couch was gone, her bowls that other people had left her, gone. 

I was a bit worried, but also hopeful they got her, good home, all of that in her future. Nope, when I drove back, there she was, looking good as she could, all things considered.

There's a cemetery with a small wall on her street, I put a big bucket behind the wall for water, she can eat and drink away from traffic.

Every morning I feed her on my way to work. I do the same after and check on her in the evening. 

She knows me now, comes out of hiding when my truck rolls down her street. She comes close to sniff me, she stretches out right before eating, but she won't let me pet her yet. 

That's about it 

Any updates on this pup?

6 hours ago, royiv said:

Any updates on this pup?

Still the same, I did see the dog catcher and a squad car yesterday, I drove past them and then they took off. When I drove back by, she came out of hiding and chased me down the street. 

She comes up and sniffs me now, licks my hand and once I almost got her eye mocos  off. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

On 9/26/2023 at 6:36 PM, Dewey said:

Still the same, I did see the dog catcher and a squad car yesterday, I drove past them and then they took off. When I drove back by, she came out of hiding and chased me down the street. 

She comes up and sniffs me now, licks my hand and once I almost got her eye mocos  off. 

Carry one of those loop leashes with you they hand out at the vet and slip it over her head when she's trusting enough to be distracted with you.