Time for another ‘my dog is awesome’ thread

Patricio Swayze

My GS's (grew up raising them) would flop ears sometimes. Some always have their ears up, some flop them. 

Best breed I ever worked with and trying to convince my partner to get one since what we thought was going to be a Rottie Mix turned out to be more doxie..... 

Wish I still had pictures of Inca. She was the best dog I ever had. Guarded my kids like her flock. 

5 hours ago, Fudbelty said:

Drugs are bad. a8b3ece149c4a3e00ba74015f661104b.png

Dad, I found your stash. Damn it was good. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Beau Vine said:

Not a dog, but I don't know where else to put this.  And it's not a cat, so it's going here...

Long-time family member, Coco the Bearded Dragon is no more.  We got Coco in summer 2006 for our 7-yo daughter; the book we got with her said that beardies could be expected to live 8-10 years, but that there were "unconfirmed reports of beardies living over 12 years."  We figured that was perfect with daughter scheduled to go to college in 10 years; but yeah, daughter finished her Master's degree a year ago with Coco still plugging along.  Daughter named her after Coco Crisp, who was her favorite baseball player at the time;  Coco Crisp retired seven years ago.  20-yo family friend Caroline was at our house last month and mentioned that she had known Coco basically as long as she has memories.  We all laughed at that, and then Caroline delivered the most perfect epitaph for Coco imaginable: "Y'all have had a lot of dogs, but there has always been Coco."  And that's what Coco was to us -- not something with a big personality that we had a deep attachment to, like a dog, but just a daily part of our lives for 16+ years.  A pretty indestructible part.   In Wimberley, we had her tank tucked into a bookshelf where she had a view of nothing but the living room and the back of the bookcase.  Daughter's friend Laurel brought over a picture of a bearded dragon and taped it to her tank "so that Coco had a friend to look at" and I still think about Laurel every time I see it.  We only fed her iceberg lettuce first (which we later found out was about the least nutritious think we could have).   We moved to San Marcos in 2019, and Coco got a new spot with windows all around.  It took her a couple of months before she quit being terrified of seeing all the birds flying around.   Greg Abbott tried to kill her in Feb '21 when the power went out and it was 30 degrees inside our house.  I still remember waking up that morning -- wife asked if I'd go check on Coco and I said, "There's no way she's still alive," but she was.  She had physically deteriorated pretty badly over the past couple of months, and hadn't really eaten all week, so with us going to Colorado tomorrow, we didn't feel like we could leave her with a house sitter, so I started calling vets to ask about euthanizing a reptile.  FYI, they apparently do it basically the same way as cats/dogs.  I took her to the vet this morning and  I was pretty unemotional about it until I went to put her in the ground and saw how the amazing people at Wimberley Valley Vet Clinic had prepared her.  So, thank you Coco for being a part of our lives for way longer than we had a right.  We really will miss you.

359502082_6327485037346880_4136245781598188881_n.jpg.35182bcd42147ecd9b7f48d6d47acbf9.jpg359519691_6327488877346496_929102922126805589_n.thumb.jpg.ec53456e0ad022e2cd2da63e712bf071.jpg359227063_6327481247347259_9130876367511245919_n.jpg.3e02c48c4f6edb49572f3eb0be7a6a36.jpg

I have a 29 year old ball python and am wondering how I'm going to react when he goes.  Reptiles are interesting and cool pets.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Our Amazon Green Parrot, Simone, passed away earlier this year. My dad got her a year before my older brother was born, so she lived to be over 40yo. She had numerous phrases memorized and could say each family members names. Yes she could be loud and particularly enjoyed going “wewewewewewewe” to wake us up in the morning. She had a great life and we miss her for sure. She’s buried in the pet cemetery at the family farm. 

I also had a pet alligator lizard named “Al” when I was a kid. Loved feeding him live crickets and caterpillars.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

I have a 29 year old ball python and am wondering how I'm going to react when he goes.  Reptiles are interesting and cool pets.

I have a neighbor with a Sicilian Tortoise. She got it on her tenth birthday. She’s now 44. She has no real idea how old that fucker is. Might be 100, might be 38. She had to set up a trust for the thing.
  • Hook 'Em 3

On 7/8/2023 at 3:55 AM, InkaUtexas said:

My GS's (grew up raising them) would flop ears sometimes. Some always have their ears up, some flop them. 

Best breed I ever worked with

This is both our first GS. I've had labs because I love a sporty swimming fetching dogs and my lady has had dobermans because she grew up next to some that she felt sorry for because they were tied up outside all day. He a lot different than either of those, but I think we're doing a good job with him. He's scared of a lot of stuff (mainly tree stumps and other inanimate objects. Dipshit) and other dogs, but loves people. 

I thought I'd be smart and build him a forever kennel out of this cubby in the house, but at 5 months here, I'm not real confident he'll fit. 

IMG20230714114759.thumb.jpg.53f0560927333af2fe9be37d2773d64c.jpg

• Hook 'Em 7

1 hour ago, BBQ2Bayou said:

This is both our first GS. I've had labs because I love a sporty swimming fetching dogs and my lady has had dobermans because she grew up next to some that she felt sorry for because they were tied up outside all day. He a lot different than either of those, but I think we're doing a good job with him. He's scared of a lot of stuff (mainly tree stumps and other inanimate objects. Dipshit) and other dogs, but loves people. 

I thought I'd be smart and build him a forever kennel out of this cubby in the house, but at 5 months here, I'm not real confident he'll fit. 

IMG20230714114759.thumb.jpg.53f0560927333af2fe9be37d2773d64c.jpg

Cutiieeeeee!!!!!! Look at those feet! Yeah, um, dad, I might need a bigger bed! You will love it. Yeah, they can be skittish, hugs and action brings that out. Never had a mean one, just good ones who knew what to to. 

Nice kennel BTW. Glad you have the tile floor. My girl buys our dogs all sort of beds and I try to explain, um, honey, it's summer and they wear blankets. They sleep and shed on the tile. 

Good job Sir. Please post pics of dipshit awake. 

Dammit, now I want a Shepherd or a Rottie. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, InkaUtexas said:

Dammit, now I want a Shepherd or a Rottie. 

My daughter and I went to a fundraiser for several local animal shelters a few weekends ago, and all of the shelters brought dogs for adoption.  We saw a 5-month-old shepherd lab mix that was the cutest dog I have ever seen and y daughter tried damn hard to talk me into adopting him, but I just couldn't pull the trigger right now.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

My daughter and I went to a fundraiser for several local animal shelters a few weekends ago, and all of the shelters brought dogs for adoption.  We saw a 5-month-old shepherd lab mix that was the cutest dog I have ever seen and y daughter tried damn hard to talk me into adopting him, but I just couldn't pull the trigger right now.

Told my Fiance last night I want a shepherd. She wants an Irish Wolfhound and next dog is hers so guess I will have to wait. But I will have 1 more at some point. 

1 hour ago, mchookem said:

how does someone confuse a rottweiler for a dachshund? 😄

was a rescue litter. Mom was a Large terrier, she must have laid on her ass to get laid. Next door neighbor had a Rottie and has all the colors. 

I just tell people he is a mini Rott. A new breed! Little dude is tenacious and a good warning system. Barks and bad guy will trip over him! That is the plan on paper at least. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

You’re a stronger man than me. I resisted with every fiber the idea of going to “look at” or “play with” a puppy or a litter back when I was still wary of the extra work and logistics of an animal. I had no doubt that the moment we went to “check out” a puppy and it was squirming and licking my daughters’ cheeks, that it would be coming home. Even though I remember on the drive explaining very clearly that we were just going to “look” and then come home and decide. 

Anyway, photo below sleeping on the ideal pillow: just washed socks.

image.thumb.jpeg.28425cb2bcf5c3af06c95055fcb76945.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, InkaUtexas said:

Told my Fiance last night I want a shepherd. She wants an Irish Wolfhound and next dog is hers so guess I will have to wait. But I will have 1 more at some point. 

That’s a hell of a debate. 

“I’d really like a German Shepard.”

”Counter: What about a dog that could eat a German Shepard?”

image.thumb.jpeg.0c0010477be66aaec0573f879565fdd2.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1