Time for another ‘my dog is awesome’ thread

Patricio Swayze

5 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

I think Lion Dog was correct

No, it's a Leonberger, which is what the kid must have said; he was just mumbling with a lot of train station background noise.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leonberger

The Leonberger is a dog breed, whose name derives from the city of Leonberg in Baden-Württemberg, Germany.

image.thumb.png.606bbf4283057308adc30afe1b6423b9.png

Our 11 year old Bassett Hound has been slowing down and not eating. With our last dog, towards the end, I had to make a mash of chicken and rice for her to eat.

So, for the past month, I’ve been making homemade food and it’s turned back the clock for her. She’s outside running around, is back to jumping on the couch by herself, etc. The only change has been her food. Being inherently lazy, I wouldn’t normally make homemade dog food but I don’t think I can not do it know.

If anyone has an older dog it may be worth a try. I freeze the homemade food flat in ziplock sandwich bags and defrost in the microwave.

Homemade food:
2 of the big packages of boneless chicken thighs (8 lbs? total)
6 cups cooked brown rice
1 cup oatmeal
3 large carrots
Small pack of broccoli
Small bag of spinach
1 cup peas
1 large sweet potato

I broil the chicken and chop it up small.

Chop all the veggies small and simmer in barely enough water. Add chicken, rice and oatmeal. Simmer 10 minutes until oatmeal is tender. Bag and freeze.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

Our 11 year old Bassett Hound has been slowing down and not eating. With our last dog, towards the end, I had to make a mash of chicken and rice for her to eat.

So, for the past month, I’ve been making homemade food and it’s turned back the clock for her. She’s outside running around, is back to jumping on the couch by herself, etc. The only change has been her food. Being inherently lazy, I wouldn’t normally make homemade dog food but I don’t think I can not do it know.

If anyone has an older dog it may be worth a try. I freeze the homemade food flat in ziplock sandwich bags and defrost in the microwave.

Homemade food:
2 of the big packages of boneless chicken thighs (8 lbs? total)
6 cups cooked brown rice
1 cup oatmeal
3 large carrots
Small pack of broccoli
Small bag of spinach
1 cup peas
1 large sweet potato

I broil the chicken and chop it up small.

Chop all the veggies small and simmer in barely enough water. Add chicken, rice and oatmeal. Simmer 10 minutes until oatmeal is tender. Bag and freeze.

Yep.  I did the same for the last year of my wife's first dog.  He lived to 21.  Pumpkin, peas, carrots, rice, and ground turkey.

• Hook 'Em 1

I've been doing similar.

2 pounds meat
6 cups starch
1 cup vegetable

meat -rotate between chicken thighs and pork buts, mix in any leftover meat that doesn't get eaten. Once a month add beef and chicken hearts or chicken gizzards
filler - rotate between rice, brown rice and sweet potatoes. Regular potatoes when they start to go bad. Dogs go nuts over sweet potatoes
vegetable rotate between spinach, carrots, frozen peas and carrots, broccoli

According to what I've read this should cover everything they need, but I did talk to my vet about it and she said there are several things they are missing in this diet and I needed to buy additives or mix in some regular dog food. She has seen multiple dogs on homemade diets dead from heart or liver failure from missing nutrients. I spent a few hours poking around trying to figure out what they were missing. A couple of sites had you enter info about your dog and then they would provide you with a recipe and an additive. It recommended a recipe of 100% skinless chicken breast along with $100 worth of additives per week.   I love my dogs but I'm not spending $800 a month to feed them.

So I've reverted to 1/2 regular dog food 1/2 of the above. I'll dig back into figuring out what they are missing sometime soon so I can remove the regular dog food.

• Hook 'Em 2

I also did this for my dog for a while, and he absolutely loved it. After some time, he started trying to eat dirt, obviously trying to make up for some micronutrient deficiency. Reluctantly switched him back (Nulo, from Austin, of course), but he certainly prefers his chicken thighs, brown rice, and veggies. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I made food for dogs in Latin America since there was little on the market. You name it, it went into their stew. Did the same in Dubai for two GSD's. They loved it and never had any health issues. 

I still make a supplement when cooking. I trim off fat, add in veggies scraps and oatmeal or brown rice. Simple way to supplement, use veggies scraps and not spend a ton of cash. Always loved using broccoli stems. 

I see it like this. Imagine eating the same damn meal every day. 

• Hook 'Em 2

We took our last pair off commercial dog food when we got them. They were 12 and 11, had horrible teeth, kidney problems and had never had anything but cheap dry food. The vet recommended some expensive dry food and canned shit they wouldn’t eat. We got a couple books and got with it.

Wife started them on a mix of meat, rice, apples, carrots, green beans, peas, sweet potatoes. Their next vet basically said give ‘em meat and a little veg and remove the grains so no oats or rice. Said dogs aren’t farmers, don’t harvest grain. They soon after got more sprightly and the fat one lost weight, and kidney numbers got better. They both lived well past 17.

• Hook 'Em 3

Yesterday while I was watching the game I was getting ready to cook dinner.  I seasoned up some cubed steak and left it on a plate on the kitchen counter.  I went back into the family room to watch the bottom of the inning.  When the inning was over I went back into the kitchen and the plate was all that was left. Sebastian was laying on the floor with a very satisfied look on his face.  My daughter and I watched the 9th inning on my phone at a restaurant. I don’t think the other diners appreciated all of our hollering and cheering.

Edited by NeverMarryAStripper
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

I'm glad this thread is still alive.   The mutt is an old girl now and went and started getting lipoid tumors all over.  Surgery would be traumatic and I don't want to put her through a lot of fear and trauma at her age.  So I got her started on turmeric+curcumin supplements about 2 months ago.  Supposed to be bacon and liver flavored but I doubt that.  Anyway, she had a lot of swelling by the one in her port side armpit and that seems to have reduced dramatically.  The golfball sized one further down her side seems a little less noticeable, and so does the big boob tumor between her front legs.  I don't know if it is actually working against the cancer or just reducing inflammation but they are definitely shrinking.  And she is moving around a lot better.  Anyone had success with a regimen of this type?  I got the 'amazing fair' brand chews off the amazons.  

Gratuitous boob shot from her new backyard, and her and the retarded cat.  On her left side that bump used to stick out a lot more.  

20230611_090902.jpg

20230611_090607.jpg

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 5

On 6/13/2023 at 2:34 PM, TOR said:

I'm glad this thread is still alive.   The mutt is an old girl now and went and started getting lipoid tumors all over.  Surgery would be traumatic and I don't want to put her through a lot of fear and trauma at her age.  So I got her started on turmeric+curcumin supplements about 2 months ago.  Supposed to be bacon and liver flavored but I doubt that.  Anyway, she had a lot of swelling by the one in her port side armpit and that seems to have reduced dramatically.  The golfball sized one further down her side seems a little less noticeable, and so does the big boob tumor between her front legs.  I don't know if it is actually working against the cancer or just reducing inflammation but they are definitely shrinking.  And she is moving around a lot better.  Anyone had success with a regimen of this type?  I got the 'amazing fair' brand chews off the amazons.  

Gratuitous boob shot from her new backyard, and her and the retarded cat.  On her left side that bump used to stick out a lot more.  

20230611_090902.jpg

20230611_090607.jpg

I don't know about cancer, but turmeric definitely will grant some inflammatory relief in short order.  Our ten-year-old Schnoodle, Gracie, has occasional bouts of supposed arthritis in her left-front paw  The last time it happened, we were out of the meds, and I mixed up a small amount (can't remember precisely, but I looked up what was appropriate for her weight) of turmeric with some peanut butter.  It didn't smell good to me, but she loved it and was cruising around all over the place within an hour or so.  Haven't need it since then, but I'm inclined to give it as needed based on those results.

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 2

IMG_7992.thumb.jpeg.ff1897634841b9b4a92ebfd1cb61dc5d.jpegIMG_7997.thumb.jpeg.b7503b9b76b2ccbab8825658494544ae.jpegAliyanah and Heiani have my mom visiting for a couple of weeks from Texas and she has been so impressed at how well they get along. Heiani is 5 months old right now (Brown one) and she has been so good for Allie. I gave my mom the bedroom and they just sleep with her all night. She loves how Heiani just comes right next to her and will lay there for hours while she sleeps. I really lucked out getting another one as sweet as Allie. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

On 6/30/2023 at 7:51 PM, Hefeweizen said:

Sup.  It’s been a while.  This one subtitled Fuck yo slow ass I’m going to the beach dad.

IMG_3442.jpeg

I had a Dalmatian (RIP, Emma) who walked twice as far as the rest of us. She'd run out in front until she could no longer see us, then charge back all worried she'd lost us. Then she'd begin the process all over again. 

20201106_170603.jpg

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3