Time for another ‘my dog is awesome’ thread

Patricio Swayze

Well, that was weird. I woke up at 6ish this morning to pee and I asked Bonnie if she needs to go outside. Since her slipped disc incident with her back in 2020, she walks to me and I let her off the bed so she doesn't jump down anymore. Well she couldn't get up and when she did, she flopped over. I picked her up and carried her outside worried it was her back, but she wasn't in any pain, when last time she was howling with it. I set her on the ground, and she tried walking but fell over. I had to hold her so she could pee. She was wobbly like a newborn deer.

I decided to take her to the vet but I didn't want to go to an emergency one, so I put her back on the bed to nap while we waited until I could call the vet and take her in after 8.  As the morning wore on, she got more stable.  She did eat laying down prone on her pillow and did do all her business on shaky legs, but she seemed stronger. When I got her to the vet, she was much improved. They did blood work and he checked her over and couldn't figure out why. If she had a stroke, she wouldn't have recovered so quickly so he was baffled because her blood work was normal. Has anyone's dog experienced something like this? She seems fine now.  

• Hook 'Em 1

34 minutes ago, burntorangebongos said:

Well, that was weird. I woke up at 6ish this morning to pee and I asked Bonnie if she needs to go outside. Since her slipped disc incident with her back in 2020, she walks to me and I let her off the bed so she doesn't jump down anymore. Well she couldn't get up and when she did, she flopped over. I picked her up and carried her outside worried it was her back, but she wasn't in any pain, when last time she was howling with it. I set her on the ground, and she tried walking but fell over. I had to hold her so she could pee. She was wobbly like a newborn deer.

I decided to take her to the vet but I didn't want to go to an emergency one, so I put her back on the bed to nap while we waited until I could call the vet and take her in after 8.  As the morning wore on, she got more stable.  She did eat laying down prone on her pillow and did do all her business on shaky legs, but she seemed stronger. When I got her to the vet, she was much improved. They did blood work and he checked her over and couldn't figure out why. If she had a stroke, she wouldn't have recovered so quickly so he was baffled because her blood work was normal. Has anyone's dog experienced something like this? She seems fine now.  

As I get older, I've had some of those days.

Hope she's ok..

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, burntorangebongos said:

My parents have a pug with epilepsy, and when she has an episode she loses feeling in her back legs and can't walk for a while. But she definitely visibly freaks out when it happens. Hope you figure it out and that it doesn't happen again. It's scary to witness, for sure.

The rat terrier we lost last month had a weird episode over a year ago. He was sleeping in his bed and wife got up which usually made him get up. She went to him and he was catatonic. He was breathing but not conscious. Took him to vet who thought he had a stroke and recommended putting him down. He immediately raised up and seemed well. Vet didn’t have a clue. Took some blood and nothing came of it. He lasted another 15 months.

I want to drop here that I’m now forever off the wagon of “only big dogs are real dogs.” My previous two were a Dalmatian and a goofy ass boxer who will always have my heart. But when the girls wanted a dog, I agreed on the condition that it be small enough to fly in cabin and that it not shed. That’s how I ended up staring at the last two Maltese puppies of a litter last May. 

But this dude kicks all kind of ass. He is energetic enough for long walks but small enough to ride in a backpack on longer hikes. He plays fetch like a champ, just with a smaller ball. He sleeps on my stomach in the big chair. This weekend, he let two little girls haul him around like a cat all through a sleepover, without even a little growl or show of impatience. I did have to intervene when I found out that they are playing “hide and seek” with him, and they explained that one of them would hide the dog and the other would look for him.  

He was knocked out at the end of the day though and didn’t want to leave my bedroom. But come morning he was scratching on the little ones’ door asking to play. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, SurlyBDR said:

Yep! Thanks. He was 1 of 2 brindles in his litter. Mom's a malinois and dad's a dutchie. 

Resized-191001.jpg

Resized-20210731-170729.jpg

That's an awesome mix! Dutchies are pretty rare. That's a great looking litter of pups! Where were they from?

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, royiv said:

That's an awesome mix! Dutchies are pretty rare. That's a great looking litter of pups! Where were they from?

A coworker, and this was his 3rd litter. They're non-working (if you couldn't tell). He's the best fucking dog I've ever had, and that includes the fact that he just sleeps all day while I work. I'm pretty sure he knows what it sounds like when I'm clocking out, because he's already sitting by the door with his nose touching the handle. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, SurlyBDR said:

A coworker, and this was his 3rd litter. They're non-working (if you couldn't tell). He's the best fucking dog I've ever had, and that includes the fact that he just sleeps all day while I work. I'm pretty sure he knows what it sounds like when I'm clocking out, because he's already sitting by the door with his nose touching the handle. 

Great looking dog. I bet he's smart as a whip.