Time for another ‘my dog is awesome’ thread

Patricio Swayze

2 hours ago, Spaulding Smails said:

Cross post in one of the hunting threads.  This is Murphy.  Murphy is my right hand man.  Goes to work with me.  Hunts with me.  Plays with the kids.  Watches the house.  He's a good dude.  He is also a bad ass.  And a bird retrieving machine.  

IMG-1104.jpg

IMG-7309.jpg

IMG-7345.jpg

There’s a builder in town with a similar looking dog named duke that he brings to his sites. Usually found laying across his pickup bed toolbox playing GC. 

• Like 2

I think you have my couch.  White leather covered in mud even though I clean it daily.  
Here's some bone chewing out at Inks Lake.
F9z8SwhBPcoVQm32EJGNj5k5VCn6QQ_jeeJsat1v6rDUPBgfLhQfXOq9dmpnXzkXfpdEuk8b-TRtsc5pEeiFInlBIHeBx6VbxmycGqVkEPrgaS-j-tvr-0Y3bHD9sV1A_VIT_YwAddyafb1NZYoAXt-ZnoppzujHqw-cBJkPtYB3KrVavY-WXKD3L1JTfumU4Sh3s5zQCl7BC5-Tvwn2997PGFdFxjNE8SJQ_SXBEdRW0Q9hpqB3cnUFeYaXEbm2kGWHV90xWjflnFofwX6GOuLGKfu6i4YpL8ZVkOfyLp5DS6BSwqSr4jY1kAxO5dPL94oV9ht2iwKQRS1LHhsAt85q2gTuwTYwABPkqQq_cD7wK_ANIKwW_k8iYI9uJjOIVWwl34SP4xiBmmgclgnu9BF6JJOvcp-1jsBM1DOJh0V-pLrC6-MLSf0XK_1yMFgotJS6cyxL44JmIAU8Wy8YsTJpasoDnrtTbg1FkSDewdBPtrJTuapndKG__6xUOQqU1Xr9khfzlYBaxRPLP4qJxlM5rW5OA5A8Dq6cCh8ldF1ZfpVkXtvjcqXCg2TS0j2-L8v6nBltGBOkjAkbxPKF8S-MwM5vHiNaBoqC919pssmE9Pun35jSUlD2j3m-RwljG_vPySzJe1LimH2ynLNrJGtc=w576-h767-no

Unfortunately, not mud, but scratches in the leather and other imperfections. And yeah, I clean it every day. I have covers for when people are over but keeping three dogs off those is not easy.

Dammit.
Out in Midland on business today and as I land on the return flight wife texts that our dog got out. He really only listens to me if he gets out. I get home and drive around for a while whistling and calling. Wife and kids tried for about an hour without luck. FF about 3 hours and we get notice he was about a mile from home and hit by a car. Didn’t make it.

I went and got him and will bury him out on our hunting land in Mount Vernon tomorrow. Wife is all torn up about it.

I’m going to miss my bird fetcher pal.

My worst nightmare. Went out in the backyard a last week. Was there for 30 minutes. Walked back in and the front door had not closed properly. All three dogs were gone. Thankfully, they were sitting at the door of my neighbors across the street, who recently moved. They were accustomed to being let in over there, and were waiting patiently. About had a heart attack.

Got a quick quick question for you folks. I’ve always had labs but we are thinking of getting a second dog. I’ve always liked Huskies but I’ve never got one because we live just outside of Houston and it seemed like a hot climate for a husky. However, there is now a great looking husky at our local animal shelter up for adoption. We live on a bunch of acreage and exercise our current dog on a daily basis so that’s not a problem. Anyone have experience with raising a husky in a warmer climate and how to get its exercise in without a heat stroke? 

On 12/25/2018 at 8:49 AM, Alvin89 said:

Got a quick quick question for you folks. I’ve always had labs but we are thinking of getting a second dog. I’ve always liked Huskies but I’ve never got one because we live just outside of Houston and it seemed like a hot climate for a husky. However, there is now a great looking husky at our local animal shelter up for adoption. We live on a bunch of acreage and exercise our current dog on a daily basis so that’s not a problem. Anyone have experience with raising a husky in a warmer climate and how to get its exercise in without a heat stroke? 

I had a husky in south Texas. I brushed him alot to reduce his undercoat. I am sure he would have grown a thicker coat if it were colder. I got him a harness and he would pull me on a skateboard for a bit then I would jog with him. He would get into a trot and go forever. He helped my pace tremendously training with him. I used to turn on the hose and hold it to his belly to cool him. I also ahed a little plastic pool and he liked to sit in it. He loved pulling things with is harness so he used to help us with yard work and clearing brush. They are great dogs.

16 hours ago, Deej said:

Where are you at?

Heelers make the best dogs. They will try to herd your children. 

Very loyal. Tend to bond to one family member. 

My last three have been heeler mixes. All great dogs. Rott/heeler, basset/heeler, husky/heeler.

Just south of Houston

Wife tried to find a ticket to the Sugar bowl for my christmas present and couldn't find one. She asked what I wanted and half jokingly said a puppy.

I present Luna to the surly dog family. Pretty sure she's a black mouth cur. We got her at town lake animal shelter. She's 8 weeks old.

• Like 9