Time for another ‘my dog is awesome’ thread

Patricio Swayze

OMG I’m driving to puppynap Walter right now!!!!

(Totally kidding. You’re too far away. Probably.)

That’s an absolutely beautiful dog. Seriously stunning. Like, I just saved a photo of a stranger’s dog and sent it to my dog loving daughter just to show her how beautiful he is beautiful.

I’m obsessed.

I’ve been wanting another Portuguese Water Dog since my Murphy passed but I’m about to start googling Silver Retrievers.

Give Walter a treat from the crazy dog lady in Alabama please.

• Like 1

Fuck. Opened this thread then remembered my parent's boxer went on up to doggy heaven a few weeks ago.

It was a little easier because I knew she was easing on out, but that was the dog we had when I was in middle school through college.

Boxers are the funniest dogs. Absolute peak physical specimens yet all they want to do is cuddle and seek affection. 

She was a good one.

• Like 2

Liver shunt and all, that's the way Blue moves around and over obstacles. If I can get her a clean bill of health, I plan on taking her to agility training.

We went back for a blood panel on Monday. A&M called today. Some things look better, some don't. Go back next month to repeat. If her blood work shows improvement or remains static, we can start trying to wean her off her meds. Otherwise, she may need some more coils placed in the shunting vein. The outflow of money never stops on this one. 

On ‎2‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 12:50 PM, Nuge said:

She's 11.5 in human years.

We got her when she was 11 weeks old from the Humane Society shelter on Townlake.  My wife (soon to be ex) and I would walk around the lake and stop in at the shelter to check on the dogs.  We originally were looking for a chocolate lab.  One day while we were there one of the volunteers told us that the black dogs were rarely adopted and consequently put down the most.  We were like, "people are racist against dogs?" so we determined that we'd be adopting a black lab.  One day we're on our usual weekend jaunt and stroll through the shelter.  Every dog in the place was absolutely losing their shit.  Barking, howling, jumping - generally being crazy.  Except one.  This little 8 week old black lab puppy.  She was fast asleep in her pen.  We opened the gate, went inside, and sat down.  The puppy woke up, walked over to my wife, licked her hand and promptly went back to sleep in her lap.  We looked at each other and just knew.  We found our dog.

enhance

We had to wait a couple of weeks to take her home in case her original family came to claim her.  No one ever did.  We couldn't figure out how somebody could lose a beautiful black lab puppy and not try and find her.  Whatever, their loss.

We named her Olive.  She was, and continues to be the best dog I have ever known.  She loves everybody and everybody that has ever met her wants to take her home and keep her.  She's perfect.  She's happiest being off-leash accompanying me playing disc golf.  She's never chased a disc and is always within 30 feet of me happily sniffing and snuffling everything.

MAcwAAAAESABAA9yCdrB92aEaX9SbpJY3fPg==&t

She doesn't have much time left now, so she'll be eating steak for her remaining days.  We're making a bucket list of her favorite things and will be taking her to her favorite places.  I'm going to miss her deeply.  Thankful that I got to enjoy her for the past 11 years but sad that our adventures together are ending.

Goodbye Olive.  I love you.  You're a good girl.

enhance

That smile! She looks like she's saying "I already know I'm the best, you dumbass. No need to remind me."  So sorry to hear she's leaving you soon. 

• Like 1

Question:  Have any of you purchased pet insurance?  Is it worth the expense?  Are there good ones you would recommend if so?  We got a free trial coverage through AKC for Hattie and now are trying to decide whether there's any point in paying for it going forward.

Question:  Have any of you purchased pet insurance?  Is it worth the expense?  Are there good ones you would recommend if so?  We got a free trial coverage through AKC for Hattie and now are trying to decide whether there's any point in paying for it going forward.
We had it for my avatar, who ended up dying of cancer. Policy was well worth it for him, but the last time i priced it out, it was cost prohibitive. They wanted 200/ month for Bruce as a puppy. And rates go up every year.

1 hour ago, Chewbacca said:
2 hours ago, DDD Dad said:

We had it for my avatar, who ended up dying of cancer. Policy was well worth it for him, but the last time i priced it out, it was cost prohibitive. They wanted 200/ month for Bruce as a puppy. And rates go up every year.

I'm pretty sure I've spent easily over $10K on Zeus at the vet, so that sounds like a bargain in restrospect. 

10 hours ago, DDD Dad said:

Just a heads up, here. If you have to take your dog to A&M's vet hospital for anything, they do not accept pet insurance. 

42 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

And they try to charge you like $170 just to be seen.

Yep. My vet here in town is an old-school aggy vet. He asked me what the surgery cost me up there and when I told him, he was flabbergasted. "I remember when they claimed to be a teaching hospital and tried to keep the costs low." 

13 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

I'm pretty sure I've spent easily over $10K on Zeus at the vet, so that sounds like a bargain in restrospect. 

Isn't Zeus like 8 years old?  You would have spent $20k in premiums even if they never increased.

Chewy's premiums started around $20/month and at the end they were somewhere around $60.

On 2/12/2019 at 6:57 PM, ztejas said:

Fuck. Opened this thread then remembered my parent's boxer went on up to doggy heaven a few weeks ago.

It was a little easier because I knew she was easing on out, but that was the dog we had when I was in middle school through college.

Boxers are the funniest dogs. Absolute peak physical specimens yet all they want to do is cuddle and seek affection. 

She was a good one.

27867555_10111183997865500_5056427694725

27752449_10111183999976270_3833312198100

27749813_10111183997770690_4944304566185

20-FF75-AE-0-F7-A-4038-A2-E8-899-AC5-D85

Kevin needs to have a good birthday this year.  Get him a steak or something.  He's on supplements for arthritis in his back and is starting to slow down, but I just got on the floor and boxed with him for a bit.  Just such a great partner in life.

• Like 3