Time for another ‘my dog is awesome’ thread

Patricio Swayze

It’s taken three days for me to post this, because of how angry and sad I was at the time it occurred. Had I posted when I wanted to, I probably would’ve said something(s) I shouldn’t have said.

Now, after a few days of dwelling on it, I’ve decided to tell the story, but do so in a way to hopefully avoid angering anyone, and hopefully help y’all see this from an objective standpoint. Let’s call it a precautionary tale.

I was turning right onto a lighted four lane road heading east. As I did, I noticed a puppy, probably 9-10 weeks old, wandering confused in the westbound lane of traffic.

As soon as I saw him, he was struck by a car heading east.

I took a breath, and performed a U-Turn.

It didn’t take me long to get back to where he was. I flicked my hazards, and turned into a driveway close to where he was. I grabbed the gloves in my console, and tried to get out to him as quickly as I could.

The westbound cars in the right lane noticed what I was doing, as I was waving at them frantically, and three of them slowed, turning their hazards on.

The dog was barely in the left lane, and the oncoming left lane traffic had slowed, noticing the right lane traffic’s hazard lights.

I was probably 6 feet from the dog when I heard honking, and then immediately heard tires screech. The fourth car in the right lane decided that he’d had enough of the 10 seconds of stopped traffic, cut into the left lane, and floored it.

He hit the pup, missed me by about 3-4ft, and ran a red light.

I wasn’t able to get his license plate, nor was anyone else in line. It happened extremely fast.

I was able to retrieve the dog, wrapped him in an old shirt, and balled my eyes out on my way home.

I dug him a grave, made sure he was wrapped and warm in the shirt, uprooted a fern, and replanted it where I buried him.

I guess the moral of this story (if there is one), it’s that nobody should ever be in that big of a hurry.

I’ve been thinking about that fucking pup for three days, and when I do, it fucking ruins me. I really hope that he knows that I tried, but more importantly, I hope he’s okay now.

f35993c4c4fdebbdaa0d810b5c125062.jpg

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Homesickhorn said:

It’s taken three days for me to post this, because of how angry and sad I was at the time it occurred. Had I posted when I wanted to, I probably would’ve said something(s) I shouldn’t have said.

Now, after a few days of dwelling on it, I’ve decided to tell the story, but do so in a way to hopefully avoid angering anyone, and hopefully help y’all see this from an objective standpoint. Let’s call it a precautionary tale.

I was turning right onto a lighted four lane road heading east. As I did, I noticed a puppy, probably 9-10 weeks old, wandering confused in the westbound lane of traffic.

As soon as I saw him, he was struck by a car heading east.

I took a breath, and performed a U-Turn.

It didn’t take me long to get back to where he was. I flicked my hazards, and turned into a driveway close to where he was. I grabbed the gloves in my console, and tried to get out to him as quickly as I could.

The westbound cars in the right lane noticed what I was doing, as I was waving at them frantically, and three of them slowed, turning their hazards on.

The dog was barely in the left lane, and the oncoming left lane traffic had slowed, noticing the right lane traffic’s hazard lights.

I was probably 6 feet from the dog when I heard honking, and then immediately heard tires screech. The fourth car in the right lane decided that he’d had enough of the 10 seconds of stopped traffic, cut into the left lane, and floored it.

He hit the pup, missed me by about 3-4ft, and ran a red light.

I wasn’t able to get his license plate, nor was anyone else in line. It happened extremely fast.

I was able to retrieve the dog, wrapped him in an old shirt, and balled my eyes out on my way home.

I dug him a grave, made sure he was wrapped and warm in the shirt, uprooted a fern, and replanted it where I buried him.

I guess the moral of this story (if there is one), it’s that nobody should ever be in that big of a hurry.

I’ve been thinking about that fucking pup for three days, and when I do, it fucking ruins me. I really hope that he knows that I tried, but more importantly, I hope he’s okay now.

f35993c4c4fdebbdaa0d810b5c125062.jpg

You’re a good dude. Sorry you had to deal with that, but little dude was lucky you were there to get him to his final place.

• Like 1

Cross posting from the help forum:

Our new-ish Newfoundland puppy, Pepper, is 4 months old and has never been a good sleeper but lately is ramping it up.  2 nights ago she was up 6 times and last night it was 3.  She is eating, drinking, pooping, peeing, and acting 100% normal during the day, including taking long naps during the day.  She likes her crate and goes to sleep easily.  The problem (I think) is that she does not sleep deeply at night.  It's like she takes a series of naps and then wants to get out of the crate to go outside after each nap.  Up until last night, her crate had been right next to me in the bedroom.  But after taking down the Christmas tree we moved her crate out to the family room, which is right next to the master bedroom.

What's confusing me is that she sleeps well when we are up at our place in the mountains, where her crate is also in the family room right next to the master.  She will either go through the night or wake up only 1 time up there.  But back down in Denver it's back to the routine of getting up all the damn time.

She's otherwise a great dog, but this sleep thing is like having a fucking newborn.  Every other dog I've ever had was sleeping through the night within a couple of weeks.  Thoughts?

Jaca is getting old too. Seems like it is getting harder and harder for him to jump up on the couch. Even laying down seems like a slow, calculate process.

Gabi loving on Fu while watching cartoons. Fu is thinking:

A. Well, this is better than eating garbage off the street in the 5th Ward.
B. That goddamn possum. If that sumbitch comes back into the yard...
C. Derp
D. This kid is a nice heating blanket.
E. All of the above.

AOUY8NUx_o.jpeg

• Like 4

I just saw the most amazing thing I’ve ever seen from a dog.

My daughter texted my wife an audio file where she was playing a new song on the piano. When my wife played it our dog went crazyyyyy. She ran to the front door whining and crying looking all around the house for something/someone. We could not figure out what was happening.

Then we figured it out. Barely audible in the background audio was a slight tapping of a dog’s nails against the floor. You could just barely hear it. Our lab had figured out from the pattern and sound of the tapping that it was her best friend dog that lives with my daughter. It was amazing. She could tell from just the tapping and no other knowledge. Every time we play it she goes nuts thinking her best friend has come into our house.

On 1/3/2019 at 1:17 PM, Chewbacca said:

Cross posting from the help forum:

Our new-ish Newfoundland puppy, Pepper, is 4 months old and has never been a good sleeper but lately is ramping it up.  2 nights ago she was up 6 times and last night it was 3.  She is eating, drinking, pooping, peeing, and acting 100% normal during the day, including taking long naps during the day.  She likes her crate and goes to sleep easily.  The problem (I think) is that she does not sleep deeply at night.  It's like she takes a series of naps and then wants to get out of the crate to go outside after each nap.  Up until last night, her crate had been right next to me in the bedroom.  But after taking down the Christmas tree we moved her crate out to the family room, which is right next to the master bedroom.

What's confusing me is that she sleeps well when we are up at our place in the mountains, where her crate is also in the family room right next to the master.  She will either go through the night or wake up only 1 time up there.  But back down in Denver it's back to the routine of getting up all the damn time.

She's otherwise a great dog, but this sleep thing is like having a fucking newborn.  Every other dog I've ever had was sleeping through the night within a couple of weeks.  Thoughts?

More exercise.