Two weeks out - NFL HOF voting. Who you got?

AUinHsv

This year the possible class is flat out loaded.  Seniors and contributors are voted separate from modern players. Coaches should be separate but count  with players.

Contributors - Pat Bowlen and Gil Brandt (finally - he and Jerry Kramer were the obvious candidates that were left behind. Kramer finally got in last year and hopefully Brandt does this year.

Senior - Johnny Robinson - safety

Players - minimum of 4, max of 8

Tony Gonzalez, TE -- 1997-2008 Kansas City Chiefs, 2009-2013 Atlanta Falcons

Isaac Bruce, WR -- 1994-2007 Los Angeles/St. Louis Rams, 2008-09 San Francisco 49ers

Edgerrin James, RB -- 1999-2005 Indianapolis Colts, 2006-08 Arizona Cardinals, 2009 Seattle Seahawks

Ed Reed, FS -- 2002-2012 Baltimore Ravens, 2013 New York Jets, 2013 Houston Texans

Steve Atwater, S -- 1989-1998 Denver Broncos, 1999 New York Jets

Champ Bailey, CB -- 1999-2003 Washington Redskins, 2004-2013 Denver Broncos

Ty Law, CB --1995-2004 New England Patriots, 2005, 2008 New York Jets, 2006-07 Kansas City Chiefs, 2009 Denver Broncos

John Lynch, FS -- 1993-2003 Tampa Bay Buccaneers, 2004-07 Denver Broncos

Tony Boselli, T -- 1995-2001 Jacksonville Jaguars, 2002 Houston Texans (injured reserve)

Steve Hutchinson, G --2001-05 Seattle Seahawks, 2006-2011 Minnesota Vikings, 2012 Tennessee Titans

Alan Faneca, G -- 1998-2007 Pittsburgh Steelers, 2008-09 New York Jets, 2010 Arizona Cardinals

Kevin Mawae, C/G -- 1994-97 Seattle Seahawks, 1998-2005 New York Jets, 2006-09 Tennessee Titans

Richard Seymour, DE/DT -- 2001-08 New England Patriots, 2009-2012 Oakland Raiders

Don Coryell, Coach -- 1973-77 St. Louis Cardinals, 1978-1986 San Diego Chargers

Tom Flores, Coach -- 1979-1987 Oakland/Los Angeles Raiders, 1992-94 Seattle Seahawks

My guesses - Tony Gonzalez and Ed Reed seem good. Thinking Champ Bailey gets it over Atwater and the HOF has always had a problem choosing safeties so I doubt they choose two this year. Alan Faneca should have been in already. Think Coryell finally gets some love. They usually choose a receiver and Issac Bruce is a good choice. I could see Hutchinson getting a phone call but again the HOF has historically not liked guards and that would be two in one year. I could see either Seymour or James. It's an odd group with only 1 RB, 1DL and 1WR.

Edited by AUinHsv

On 1/20/2019 at 10:32 AM, Go Pokes said:

This class seems like the opposite of loaded unless you mean loaded with borderline HOF players.

Gonzales & Reed for sure. The rest all seem about the same to me.

I was confused how this group would be considered 'loaded'?  2 of first 4 were Ed Reed and Tony G...so I was like yeah, then I was underwhelmed by the rest of the list. 

I was confused how this group would be considered 'loaded'?  2 of first 4 were Ed Reed and Tony G...so I was like yeah, then I was underwhelmed by the rest of the list. 

Exactly my reaction. I’m making my first visit to Chicago in March. You got any must sees to recommend?

Gonzalez, Reed and Bailey are locks (Bailey gets forgotten because he spent most of his career in the black hole between Elway Broncos and Peyton Broncos.)  I'm split on Atwater, on one hand the tackle he made on Okoye on MNF is so iconic it is still burned into most sportswriters heads but on the other hand I think Bailey gets in and it is rare for one team to get two players inducted in the same year.  Bruce is close to a lock too.  Brandt is also an obvious choice.  I'm not sure about anyone else.

• 2 weeks later...

Tony Boselli for 6 years of work?

Are you fucking kidding me?

and before you bring up Gale Sayers, Boselli was not in the same universe of dominance and game changing ability.

Edited by slorch

1 minute ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Is Ty Law the first proof that all the patriots will get in like all of the 70s Steelers got in?

Probably. And it's going to be overwhelming because you can split the Patriots dynasty into two eras, with Brady, Belichick, and Kraft the only common denominators.

Reed , Bailey and Gonzalez are in imo....brandt hopefully and rest i dont really see quite yet

Not bad...surprised law got in

I hope its not a precursor like mentioned above....dont really see many pats as hof'er besides brady bill gronk

If they let in others how will it change the argument brady always had scraps to work with besides moss lol

6 hours ago, Bone3421 said:

Not bad...surprised law got in

I hope its not a precursor like mentioned above....dont really see many pats as hof'er besides brady bill gronk

If they let in others how will it change the argument brady always had scraps to work with besides moss lol

Gotta respectfully disagree with that.  Edelman, Wilfork, Seymour are going to get serious consideration over time.  I might be missing a few others. Wilfork and Seymour played positions that don’t get big counting stats (interior DL and outside DL in a 3-4 Defense) but were two of the best to ever play those roles in the NFL.  As far as Ty Law, his stats are actually very comparable to Bailey and Darryl Green.  He was one of the best bump and run cover corners to ever play the game (check out interviews with coaches and QBs he faced) and became less effective when the NFL changed the rules where you can’t be physical with a WR but was still very good after that change also.  Is Ty Law HOF worthy, sure but he is closer to the level of a Richard Dent HOF than a Lawrence Taylor HOF obviously.

Gotta respectfully disagree with that.  Edelman, Wilfork, Seymour are going to get serious consideration over time.  I might be missing a few others. Wilfork and Seymour played positions that don’t get big counting stats (interior DL and outside DL in a 3-4 Defense) but were two of the best to ever play those roles in the NFL.  As far as Ty Law, his stats are actually very comparable to Bailey and Darryl Green.  He was one of the best bump and run cover corners to ever play the game (check out interviews with coaches and QBs he faced) and became less effective when the NFL changed the rules where you can’t be physical with a WR but was still very good after that change also.  Is Ty Law HOF worthy, sure but he is closer to the level of a Richard Dent HOF than a Lawrence Taylor HOF obviously.
I was going to say edelman but backed off
Law does gave decent stats guess i just dont remember him being talked about much like bailey and other top cb...is casey hampton in??? No hampton no wilfork

Reed is the first pure safety in 33 years to get voted into the Hall of Fame in his first year of eligibility after a career that began in 2002 and ended after the 2013 season. The previous one to reach on the first ballot was Ken Houston in 1986. Among the modern-era finalists, the discussion about Reed inside the selection room Saturday was the shortest, lasting just 2 minutes, 20 seconds.

"Smartest player I ever coached," Brian Billick, Reed's former coach with the Baltimore Ravens, said.