Worst Playoff Officiating (Non) Call Ever

Wally Pryor

9 hours ago, hookem48 said:

Benny Barnes fell down, Lynn fucking asshole Swann trips over him and a backup ref gets on a plane and flies to the Super Bowl runs out on the field and throws a flag or something close to that.

I may be wrong but I remember it being Mark Washington.

8 hours ago, Ignatius said:

You're missing out.  The NBA is far more entertaining than it was 15 years ago...

Yes it is, but this is why I can never get too far into basketball because - in my mind - the officials control the outcome of the game way too much.

I know that football and baseball (and I guess, hockey, but IDGAF about hockey) probably all are just as manipulable and my outrage is selective, but basketball just seems to me to be too much. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, hookem48 said:

Benny Barnes fell down, Lynn fucking asshole Swann trips over him and a backup ref gets on a plane and flies to the Super Bowl runs out on the field and throws a flag or something close to that.

Interesting enough, Fred Swearingen who made that call against Barnes was also the Ref who made the TD call in the Immaculate Reception game.  Dude has his own wing in the Steelers HOF. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Irish Wrist Watch said:

This is a tweet from the NFC Champ. thread

" Gary Cavaletto, the ref who swallowed his flag on the infamous no-call benefiting the Rams, lives within 2 hours of L.A.. His crewmate Phil McKinnely went to UCLA and played for the L.A. Rams and Atlanta."

Tigerpoopoo is organizing an R Party (Throw the refs into the harbor Pacific) to kick off the Fan Revolution:

https://www.tigerdroppings.com/rant/new-orleans-saints/gary-cavaletto-is-the-name-of-the-ref-who-missed-the-call/81558047/

Someone clarified that McKinnely wasn't working yesterday's game, he's just usually teamed with Cavaletto (Caveletto, Cavaletto Cavaletto Cavaletto figaro magnifico.  I'm just a po boy and nobody love's me.)

Edited by clapclapclap
Anyway, the refs blow

You can bet your ass that this offseason, that missed call is going to get addressed, one way or the other.   

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/20634311/sean-payton-new-orleans-saints-named-nfl-competition-committee

New Orleans Saints coach Sean Payton has been added to the NFL's competition committee, the league confirmed Friday.

"It's an honor to be named to the NFL Competition Committee," Payton said in a statement. "The challenges that annually face the committee are certainly significant and they merit thoughtful, open dialogues and well-reasoned resolutions when needed. I look forward to making contributions to this great game and working closely with my fellow competition committee members."

According to the league, the committee reviews all competitive aspects of the game, including (but not limited to) playing rules, roster regulations, technology, game-day operations and player protection.

36 minutes ago, JBJ said:

It could have been called, but it isn't nearly as controversial as is being said.  Pretty bang-bang, but the slow-motion obfuscates that.

This....

That was a lot closer than everyone is claiming.

When you see the replay from the refs perspective (from the goal line looking upfield) the ball was right there when the contact was made. It was definitely a bang bang type of play that in real time would have been difficult to tell.

Plus no guarantee the Saints score if it is called.

Edited by Steamboat1874

5 hours ago, Irish Wrist Watch said:

This is a tweet from the NFC Champ. thread

" Gary Cavaletto, the ref who swallowed his flag on the infamous no-call benefiting the Rams, lives within 2 hours of L.A.. His crewmate Phil McKinnely went to UCLA and played for the L.A. Rams and Atlanta."

Just fire these guys - as in permanently. Maybe the next time a ref won't look the other way.

Refs had their marching orders.

9 minutes ago, Steamboat1874 said:

Plus no guarantee the Saints score if it is called

Yeah, I think you're missing the point here. If the penalty is properly called, the Saints can run the ball three times and kick a field goal with about 15-20 seconds remaining instead of leaving a minute and a half for the Rams.

• Like 5

27 minutes ago, Steamboat1874 said:

This....

That was a lot closer than everyone is claiming.

When you see the replay from the refs perspective (from the goal line looking upfield) the ball was right there when the contact was made. It was definitely a bang bang type of play that in real time would have been difficult to tell.

Plus no guarantee the Saints score if it is called.

i guess i am not sure how the rule works, but it looks to me like the ball is at least even with the receiver when he gets hit. the ball might be past the receiver. really hard to tell by the angles being shown. does the receiver have the right to be unabated to a ball that is on the other side of the defender?

Edited by po elvis

All the time you see a receiver trying to catch a ball with one arm because the defender has hooked his other arm and is holding on. Interference doesn't get much worse than that, but you see the refs ignore it all the fucking time. It's pure bullshit, and it's only done because the refs "want to let them play."

And then we have plays like last night's. It shouldn't be up to the refs to say "it's possible the ball was six inches out of his reach - so it was uncatchable.". A receiver is getting ready to go up for the ball and he's waylaid, and doesn't get a hand on it. "Not catchable."

Re: "the fix was is": Could well be that one reason they don't fire any refs is because a few might blow the whistle on their masters. Now is a great time to clean the slate. Start firing these bastards. When that happens, fans will KNOW that they aren't following anyone's orders to throw a game or shave points.

4 minutes ago, po elvis said:

i guess i am not sure how the rule works, but it looks to me like the ball is at least even with the receiver when he gets hit. the ball might be past the receiver. really hard to tell by the angles being shown. does the receiver have the right to be unabated to a ball that is on the other side of the defender?

Well you're completely wrong about where the ball was so the rest of the question is kind of irrelevant, but I'll answer anyway.

Yes, it's illegal for a defender to impede a receiver's path to the ball. He can get away with it if he's making a play on the ball, which the Eagles DB clearly wasn't.

4 minutes ago, po elvis said:

That's where the faceguarding rule used to come into play. Faceguarding is bullshit, but these lazy defenders have been granted amnesty by the league. All these fucking problems were addressed twenty years ago to take the fucking refs out of the equation. If you're trying to catch a ball and the other guy isn't looking at it, that's interference.

Same with the old rule: the ground can't cause a fumble. That solved the problem. Then they came up with the receiver has to make a football move, and we end up with the Dez Bryant outrage. He caught the fucking ball and held it until it hit the ground. Instead we got some fucking zebras inserting themselves into the game and the play, and the fucking playoffs.

That was probably the worst call ever imo.

Still, the Saints had the ball with a chance to win the game and they were so hung up and emotional about it that they didn't focus on finishing the job. Sorry. The call happened and you need to move on from it.

And i'm sure Brett Favre doesn't have much sympathy for them either.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Irish Wrist Watch said:

That's where the faceguarding rule used to come into play. Faceguarding is bullshit, but these lazy defenders have been granted amnesty by the league. All these fucking problems were addressed twenty years ago to take the fucking refs out of the equation. If you're trying to catch a ball and the other guy isn't looking at it, that's interference.

Faceguarding is sticking your hand in the opponents face and is only illegal at the highschool level.

You are allowed to play the receiver without playing the ball.

25 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

And i'm sure Brett Favre doesn't have much sympathy for them either.

That footage was insane when they showed it yesterday. I remember that game being one of the worst I've ever seen as far as late hits and blatant targeting of an opposing player...but it was even worse than I remembered seeing it after 10 years of CTE and rule changes.

They tried to murder that dude in front of 60,000 people.

15 minutes ago, Foosters said:

Dude lives in Santa Barbara. That's a bit of a stretch to say that had influence.

Great point.  Goleta is 100 miles from LA, so that would be like someone assuming a ref living in Waco, Tyler, Ardmore, or all the way out towards Wichita Falls might be a Cowboys fan.  Highly unlikely....

Just now, clapclapclap said:

Great point.  Goleta is 100 miles from LA, so that would be like someone assuming a ref living in Waco, Tyler, Ardmore, or all the way out towards Wichita Falls might be a Cowboys fan.  Highly unlikely....

So if the cowboys are in the playoffs, any ref who lives in Texas should be disqualified?  

2 hours ago, BradInATX said:

"Bang bang play"

GTFO

39ef76bd5a81d856cd581a2427e058da.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Yeah it was more bang.

BANG, the defender levels the receiver before the ball was within 3 yds of him.

Edited by Onboard 2.0
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Watching it live, I thought it was strange that Lewis didn't argue the call. Just got up and jogged back. 

He absolutely thought there was no doubt the flag was coming. Watch this angle and his reaction when he realizes it wasn't thrown.

It's also possible he was gathering himself at first considering the pass interference looked like it included a helmet-to-helmet shot.

• Like 7

That ref had the best view out of everyone in the Superdome. Outside of blatant corruption, I'm guessing from that viewpoint he thought it was uncatchable. Unless he just had no idea where the ball was and assumed the defender and the ball got there at the same time. 

22 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Watching it live, I thought it was strange that Lewis didn't argue the call. Just got up and jogged back. 

I don't understand why more coaches don't throw chairs. Well, I get why they don't do that in the NFL, but speaking figuratively. I mean when something that egregious happens, why isn't there more of a protest from the coaches and players? I felt like Charlie Strong took the Okie State debacle way too well in 2015, for example, especially after the game when we'd take the L. 

I want to see this shit migrate to the college game. Texas draws TV eyeballs, fuckin let's see some screwjobs in favor of the bluebloods in college. It should be pro wrestling level hilariously in our favor when we play Okie State, West Virginia, Baylor, etc. 

Edited by SwanderedTalent

ESPN with the lead story of 16 "crucial" plays.  fucking hilarious.  there were 2 crucial plays. the missed PI and the bogus 3rd down roughing the passer.  NFL - "hey call up ESPN and get them to run a story about a bunch of plays that made the difference, stat".

3 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

ESPN with the lead story of 16 "crucial" plays.  fucking hilarious.  there were 2 crucial plays. the missed PI and the bogus 3rd down roughing the passer.  NFL - "hey call up ESPN and get them to run a story about a bunch of plays that made the difference, stat".

The roughing the passer penalty was on 2nd and 7. I didn't see much last night that would have led me to believe that Kansas City would have stopped them on 3rd down.

Just now, aggie08 said:

The roughing the passer penalty was on 2nd and 7. I didn't see much last night that would have led me to believe that Kansas City would have stopped them on 3rd down.

hmm. OK thought it was 3rd down.  yeah, unlikely they stop them but you never know, and still horrendous call.  the exact same thing or worse happened to Mahomes in the EZ earlier, no call.