Worst Playoff Officiating (Non) Call Ever

Wally Pryor

The zebras were somewhat letting them go in the Saints / Rams game.  But assault and battery doesn't qualify.  That non call on Lewis was fucking abysmal.  It wasn't buried in a myriad of players. It was sitting out there for the entire world to see.  And it was blown.   Just abysmal.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, CurlyDumps said:

Wasn’t it the rule that was terrible though? More than the call?

Yeah it was kinda both. I'd never seen a tuck rule called before, nor have I since that play.

The one on one, and in plain view of the world, non call today is probably worse, especially considering the targeting aspect of the hit. That alone should have drawn a flag.

Edited by Onboard 2.0

The critical question was: who did the football touch in the Fuqua/Tatum collision? If it bounced off Fuqua without ever touching Tatum, then Harris's reception was illegal. If the ball bounced off only Tatum, or if it bounced off both Fuqua and Tatum (in any order), then the reception was legal. The rule stated in the pertinent part that once an offensive player touches a pass, he is the only offensive player eligible to catch the pass. "However, if a [defensive] player touches [the] pass first, or simultaneously with or subsequent to its having been touched by only one [offensive] player, then all [offensive] players become and remain eligible" to catch the pass.[5][6] (This rule was later rescinded in 1978.) If the reception was illegal, the Raiders would have gained possession (by a turnover on downs), clinching a victory.

One official, Back Judge Adrian Burk, signaled that the play was a touchdown, but the other game officials did not immediately make any signal.[4]When the officials huddled, Burk and another official, Umpire Pat Harder, thought that the play was a touchdown because Tatum and Fuqua had both touched the ball, while three others said that they were not in a position to rule.[7][8] Referee Fred Swearingen approached Steelers sideline official Jim Boston and asked to be taken to a telephone. Boston took Swearingen to a baseball dugout in the stadium. There was a video monitor in the dugout, but it was not used by Swearingen.[7] (Terry Bradshaw's assertion that a special television was rigged up on the sideline so that Swearingen could watch the replay[9]:16 is not supported by other accounts.) From the dugout telephone Boston put in a call to the press box to reach the NFL's supervisor of officials, Art McNally. Before the call McNally had "an opinion from the get-go" that the ball had hit Tatum's chest, which he confirmed by looking "at one shot on instant replay."[6] In the press box the telephone was answered either by Dan Rooney, son of Steelers owner Art Rooney, or by Steelers public relations director Joe Gordon (reports vary), and McNally was put on the line.[7][10][11] According to McNally, Swearingen "never asked me about the rule, and never asked what I saw. All he said was, 'Two of my men say that opposing players touched the ball.' And I said, 'everything's fine then, go ahead.'"[7][12] After Swearingen hung up the phone Boston asked, "What do we got?" "We got a touchdown,"[7][13]answered Swearingen, who then went back onto the field to signal the ruling to the crowd. Franco Harris crossed the goal line at approximately 3:29 PM EST. Fans immediately rushed the field, and it took 15 minutes to clear them so that the extra point could be kicked to give the Steelers what turned out to be their final margin of victory, 13–7.

Although this has been described as the first known use of television replay to confirm a call[14][15] (there was no instant replay review then), at the time the NFL denied that the decision was made in the press box or using a television replay.[16] An Oakland Tribune article two days after the game reported that Steelers publicist Joe Gordon told reporters in the press box that the decision had been made using the replay.[17] Gordon has dismissed this as "a total fabrication."[11] NFL officials Jim Kensil and Val Pinchbeck, who were in the press box with McNally, also deny that replay was used in making the decision on the play.[17][18]

In various NFL Films productions about the play years later, various Raiders have theorized that the real purpose of Swearingen's phone conversation was to see if there were enough police on hand to ensure the players' safety if the play was ruled incomplete. The theory claims that there were too few police, so the play was called for the Steelers out of fear. In one of the films, McNally laughs at the suggestion.

The play is still disputed by those involved, particularly by living personnel from the Raiders and their fans, who insist the Raiders should have won. Tatum said that the ball did not bounce off him, both immediately after the game[15] as well as later;[4] however, in his memoirs, Tatum equivocated, stating that he could not honestly say if the ball hit him.[19] Raiders linebacker Phil Villapiano, who was covering Harris at the time, maintains that the ball hit Fuqua.[20] Fuqua has been coy, supposedly saying he knows exactly what happened that day but will never tell.[21]

According to Raiders defensive back George Atkinson, the play is known by the Raiders and their fans as the "Immaculate Deception" because "the public was deceived, the officials were deceived, and we got deceived".[22]

John Madden, coach of the 1972 Raiders, has said that he will never get over the play, and has indicated that he was bothered more by the delay between the end of the play and the final signal of touchdown than by which player the ball truly hit. After the game, he indicated that from his view the football had indeed touched Tatum.[15] Although a few days later Madden indicated that the Raiders game films showed that the ball hit Fuqua's shoulder pads,[17] Jack Tatum conceded that "even after we viewed the game films with stop action, nobody could tell who the ball hit on that moment of impact."[19] Years later Madden wrote, "No matter how many times I watch the films of the 'immaculate reception' play, I never know for sure what happened."[23]

In 1998, during halftime of the AFC Championship game, NBC showed a replay from its original broadcast. The replay presented a different angle than the NFL Films clip that is most often shown. According to a writer for the New York Daily News, "NBC's replay showed the ball clearly hit one and only one man[:] Oakland DB Jack Tatum."[24] Curt Gowdy, doing the live TV play-by-play, called it as having been deflected by Tatum, and reiterated that during the video replay.[25]

Pittsburgh sportscaster Myron Cope, in a 1997 article[11] and in his 2002 book Quintuple Yoi!,[26] related that two days after the game he reviewed film taken by local Pittsburgh TV station WTAE-TV, and that the film showed "[n]o question about it – Bradshaw's pass struck Tatum squarely on his right shoulder." Cope stated that the local film would be next to impossible to find again, because of inadequate filing procedures.

In 2004 John Fetkovich, an emeritus professor of physics at Carnegie Mellon University, analyzed the NFL Films clip of the play. He came to the conclusion, based on the trajectory of the bounced ball and conservation of momentum, that the ball must have bounced off Tatum, who was running upfield at the time, rather than Fuqua, who was running across and down the field.[27] Fetkovich also performed experiments by throwing a football against a brick wall at a velocity greater than 60 feet per second, twice the speed Fetkovich calculated that Bradshaw's pass was traveling when it reached Tatum and Fuqua. Fetkovitch achieved a maximum rebound of 10 feet when the ball hit point first, and 15 feet when the ball hit belly first, both less than the 24 feet that the ball actually rebounded during the play. Timothy Gay, a physics professor and a longtime Raiders fan,[28] cited Fetkovich's work with approval in his book The Physics of Football, and concluded that "the referees made the right call in the Immaculate Reception."[29]

Terry Bradshaw himself had made points similar to those of Fetkovich 15 years earlier, stating that he did not think that he had thrown the ball hard enough for it to bounce that far back off Fuqua, and that since Fuqua was running across the field, the ball would have veered to the right if it had hit him. Bradshaw opined that the ball must have bounced off the upfield-moving Tatum – if that had happened then "Tatum's momentum carries the ball backward."[9]:14–15

The ball came very close to hitting the ground before Harris scooped it up. In the sideline views of both film and video, Harris had caught the ball out of frame, and came running into frame from the right side on his path to the end zone. The only other known NBC video was an end zone shot from above and behind the goalposts depicting Harris scooping the ball before it touched the ground. The best NFL Films shot of the play, from ground level, is a tight shot from the end zone of Harris snaring the ball, with his feet and the ground just out of frame below.[citation needed]

Villapiano has also stated that he was illegally blocked by Steelers tight end John McMakin as he was pursuing Harris following the reception, and he would have tackled Harris without it.[4][20] Raiders coach Madden echoed this complaint;[17] McMakin, who calls his contribution the "Magnificent Obstruction", insists the block was perfectly legal, and is "puzzled" that the Raiders would think otherwise.[citation needed]

Edited by Surly Bevo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Wally Pryor said:

The zebras were somewhat letting them go in the Saints / Rams game.  But assault and battery doesn't qualify.  That non call on Lewis was fucking abysmal.  It wasn't buried in a myriad of players. It was sitting out there for the entire world to see.  And it was blown.   Just abysmal.

Benny Barnes says hold my beer.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, hookem48 said:

Benny Barnes says hold my beer.

I don't even remember the play, but during the 1994 Super Bowl between DAL-PIT, there was a horrifically awful call against the Steelers.  I immediately screamed at the TV, "FUCK you, that's for Benny Barnes."

Everyone else in the room (mostly wife's co-workers whom I had just met, as we had just moved) looked at me like I was insane.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, CurlyDumps said:

Wasn’t it the rule that was terrible though? More than the call?

I mean I have no opinion on that rule either way but I knew what it was right when that play happened and I was the only one in the room that correctly predicted the outcome of the review on that exact basis. It was the right call given the letter of the law at the time. 

7 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

I don't even remember the play, but during the 1994 Super Bowl between DAL-PIT, there was a horrifically awful call against the Steelers.  I immediately screamed at the TV, "FUCK you, that's for Benny Barnes."

Everyone else in the room (mostly wife's co-workers whom I had just met, as we had just moved) looked at me like I was insane.  

Benny Barnes fell down, Lynn fucking asshole Swann trips over him and a backup ref gets on a plane and flies to the Super Bowl runs out on the field and throws a flag or something close to that.

12 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

I don't even remember the play, but during the 1994 Super Bowl between DAL-PIT, there was a horrifically awful call against the Steelers. 

Was there? I mean I get the overall thrust of your point, but IIRC the only controversial call of that game was when a PIT player pushed a Dallas player into a punted ball and the refs correctly ruled that cannot constitute a muff.

7 minutes ago, hookem48 said:

Benny Barnes fell down, Lynn fucking asshole Swann trips over him and a backup ref gets on a plane and flies to the Super Bowl runs out on the field and throws a flag or something close to that.

Benny got shoved down by Swann, who then tripped over him.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, hpslugga said:

Was there? I mean I get the overall thrust of your point, but IIRC the only controversial call of that game was when a PIT player pushed a Dallas player into a punted ball and the refs correctly ruled that cannot constitute a muff.

Like I said, I don't even remember what it was.  I do know, based on my reaction, that there was an obviously bad call that went against the Steelers at some point. But fuck 'em.  

51 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Where are the Oiler fans?

mike-renfro_scruberthumbnail_0.jpg?w=545

That was egregious, but at least it was a bang bang play decided without the benefit of replay (which would be added as a direct result of that controversial call.)

Today was 10 times worse, there was nothing close about it, was so blatant, PI way ahead of the ball getting there, and an obvious helmet to helmet to top it off.  Worst botched/rigging I've ever seen in the NFL.

We have replay, use the damn thing.  So ridiculous how replay is just too limited and poorly used, because of an inept rules committee and the god damn egos of the refs and their union.  Replay should be the final arbiter, they've got all the camera angles and the advantage of multiple looks.   Allow them to "Just get it right.'   It doesn't have to take forever if you empower the replay refs (should be more than one.)  And the rule book is way too complicated.

The NFL needs to get off their ass and reform their rules and their enforcement system.  I bet I'm not the only one that was so pissed I didn't bother watching the Chiefs game.  I did tune in for the final 3 minutes when I saw the score, but no way in hell will my house watch the Super Bowl.  Sacramento getting screwed by the NBA for the Lakers and their tv ratings was the tipping point where I basically gave up watching pro ball.  I'll sometimes tune in for the playoffs, until getting disgusted to see Jordan Rules still in effect.   The only regular season NBA games I've seen in the last decade were during holidays at relatives' houses.  Screw the NBAWWF.  Saints-Rams may be the same tipping point for my interest in the NFL.  

A little shocked how pissed I still am about today's shamockery (I'm not at all a Saints fan), but enough is enough.  The league needs serious reforms, the problems have been festering for a long time.

Edited by clapclapclap
Imma so Derka level pissed
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Huckleberry said:

Growing up I was told that it was a call on Mel Renfro in the back corner of the Steelers' end zone.

My family were all Cowboys fans but the Oilers were everyone's second team.

MIKE Renfro caught the ball in the back of the endzone and Officals said he didn't come down with two feet in (which he did) .....

Regarding tonight's non call - when a pass is in the air and it's looking like it is going to be caught - then something happens so that the receiver never even touches the ball - 95% of the time you have interference. It's a simple fucking concept, and these fucking refs try to justify looking the other way. "The contact wasn't that bad..." etc. Fuck that.

When the ball is in the air, the only contact, THE ONLY CONTACT between the receiver and the defender(s) that is legal is incidental fucking contact. this fucking hanging on arms, shoving each other is all bullshit. The athleticism is in catching the goddamn ball, not knocking somebody down who is basically defenseless because he is focused on catching it. If officials began calling that, we'd see a lot more of the amazing athleticism that exists in this league.

Instead we have lazy fucking defenders and lazy fucking refs. The NFL's product has continued to deteriorate.

Instead of having two living legends facing off in the SB, we have Drew Brees, who drove his team down the field for the winning score as a spectator. (If that call is made, the game's over. )

Edited by Irish Wrist Watch
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Huckleberry said:

Growing up I was told that it was a call on Mel Renfro in the back corner of the Steelers' end zone.

My family were all Cowboys fans but the Oilers were everyone's second team.

Mike Renfro, but yeah, it was a bad call. Renfro made the catch, but the refs called it incomplete, claiming they could see he had his feet down, but couldn't tell if he had possession, cause they didn't have position to see his hands. 

21 minutes ago, Irish Wrist Watch said:

Regarding tonight's non call - when a pass is in the air and it's looking like it is going to be caught - then something happens so that the receiver never even touches the ball - 95% of the time you have interference. It's a simple fucking concept, and these fucking refs try to justify looking the other way. "The contact wasn't that bad..." etc. Fuck that.

When the ball is in the air, the only contact, THE ONLY CONTACT between the receiver and the defender(s) that is legal is incidental fucking contact. this fucking hanging on arms, shoving each other is all bullshit. The athleticism is in catching the goddamn ball, not knocking somebody down who is basically defenseless because he is focused on catching it. If officials began calling that, we'd see a lot more of the amazing athleticism that exists in this league.

Instead we have lazy fucking defenders and lazy fucking refs. The NFL's product has continued to deteriorate.

Instead of having two living legends facing off in the SB, we have Drew Brees, who drove his team down the field for the winning score as a spectator. (If that call is made, the game's over. )

you would have really hated football 15 years ago and probably wouldn't have even watched 30 years ago.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Richard Kimball said:

Mike Renfro, but yeah, it was a bad call. Renfro made the catch, but the refs called it incomplete, claiming they could see he had his feet down, but couldn't tell if he had possession, cause they didn't have position to see his hands. 

they were scared shitless to make that call in Pittsburg.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, clapclapclap said:

Sacramento getting screwed by the NBA for the Lakers and their tv ratings was the tipping point where I basically gave up watching pro ball.  I'll sometimes tune in for the playoffs, until getting disgusted to see Jordan Rules still in effect.   The only regular season NBA games I've seen in the last decade were during holidays at relatives' houses.  Screw the NBAWWF. 

You're missing out.  The NBA is far more entertaining than it was 15 years ago...

• Like 1

This is a tweet from the NFC Champ. thread

" Gary Cavaletto, the ref who swallowed his flag on the infamous no-call benefiting the Rams, lives within 2 hours of L.A.. His crewmate Phil McKinnely went to UCLA and played for the L.A. Rams and Atlanta."

Just fire these guys - as in permanently. Maybe the next time a ref won't look the other way.

Edited by Irish Wrist Watch