Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

35 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Not that it's fair, but Longhorn94 is going to take a lot of heat if this goes the wrong way with Wilson. 

35 minutes ago, Machinator said:

It's totally fair.

I appreciate his willfulness in taking a position. I will also enjoy mocking him when Wilson announces to Ohio State. 

48 minutes ago, Longhorn94 said:

i'm feeling....

giphy.gif

For someone who was so certain Wilson was already coming to Texas, Wilson pushing his commitment back post Texas OV all but confirms that he was/is headed up north, no? 

Edited by Atticus

Ohio State 247 on Wilson

Bill Kurelic 69055 posts

65 seconds agoVIP

After making an official visit to Ohio State the weekend of April 14, Austin (Texas) Lake Travis wide receiver Garrett Wilson made an official visit to Texas this past weekend.

“It went really well. It was a good visit,” Wilson told Texas and Alabama recruiting insider Hank South. “They think I can be a legend in Austin and I’m already here.”

On Sunday evening after completing the Texas visit, Wilson told Bucknuts he was pushing back his decision and announcement until early May. It could get moved back up slightly.

“Maybe this weekend,” Wilson said when South asked him when he would decide. “Whenever I feel like I’m 100% with it, that’s when it’s going to come. I’m probably going to make a decision one of these upcoming weeks.”

The most likely scenario has Wilson announcing within the next week.

Wilson also talked about what it would be like to be a Buckeye.

“If I go there I know what I’m getting into,” Wilson said. “I know I’m going to be competing for a national championship right away. That’s probably one of the biggest things for me about Ohio State.”

South asked will who is recruiting him hardest between Ohio State and Texas.

“It’s really been coach (Zach) Smith, coach (Ryan) Day and coach (Urban) Meyer,” Wilson said. “I’ve been talking to all three of them probably just about every day, every other day. They’ve been on top of it.”

On Sunday evening Bucknuts posted the Buckeyes would be out to see Wilson again on Tuesday, and they were there for his practice according to South.

The 6-foot-0 and 185-pound Wilson is a 5-star prospect in the 247Sports Composite. He is the country’s No. 29 overall prospect, the No. 5 wide receiver, and the No. 4 prospect in Texas.

Thanks to Alabama and Texas recruiting insider Hank South for interviewing Wilson for this article

Sent from my LGLS755 using Tapatalk

5 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I appreciate his willfulness in taking a position. I will also enjoy mocking him when Wilson announces to Ohio State. 

4 minutes ago, Atticus said:

For someone who was so certain Wilson was already coming to Texas, Wilson pushing his commitment back post Texas OV all but confirms that he was/is headed up north, no? 

You two dipshits are a couple of dipshits.

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

37 minutes ago, Atticus said:

So lets say a guy is pretty certain he is going to Texas. he wants to go there, his parents want him to go there. and then he goes to Ohio State and meets with Urban Meyer, are you telling me its surprising that Meyer would be able to persuade him that maybe Ohio State is the better choice? Do you think Meyer is bad or new at this thing called recruiting? Oh and they have your HS QB putting the full court press on you, you dont think that matters? So the kid becomes unsure of what he wants to do. He is torn between two great programs. Is that surprising to you? Not me. Does that mean he committed to OSU? No. And then the kid goes to Texas and loves it. Says they showed him everything he needed to see and then promptly announces he may push his decision back a little. And somehow you think that confirms he was committed to OSU? Uh, no.

Im not getting into details here. But I know for a FACT Wilson did not commit to OSU. Did he really like it? Yes. Did his visit really open his eyes and make it seem possible to go there? Yes. Does pushing back his decision confirm anything other than the kid is torn between two great programs who are both making him a priority? No. He is in a great position with either school and neither is a bad choice for him.

I wont be commenting anymore on Wilson's decision. Its his to announce and i believe he will announce it sooner than later.

Edited by Longhorn94
  • Like 5

3 minutes ago, Longhorn94 said:

So lets say a guy is pretty certain is going to Texas and then he goes to Ohio State and meets with Urban Meyer, are you telling me its surprising that Meyer would be able to persuade him that maybe Ohio State is the better choice? Do you think Meyer is bad or new at this thing called recruiting? Oh and they have your HS QB putting the full court press on you, you dont think that matters? So the kid becomes unsure of what he wants to do. He is torn between two great programs. Is that surprising to you? Not me. Does that mean he committed to OSU? No. And then the kid goes to Texas and loves it. Says they showed him everything he needed to see and then promptly announces he may push his decision back a little. And somehow you think that confirms he was committed to OSU? Uh, no.

Im not getting into details here. But I know for a FACT Wilson did not commit to OSU. Did he really like it? Yes. Did his visit really open his eyes and make it seem possible to go there? Yes. Does pushing back his decision confirm anything other than the kid is torn between two great programs who are both making him a priority? No. He is in a great position with either school and neither is a bad choice for him.

I wont be commenting anymore on Wilson's decision. Its his to announce and i believe he will announce it sooner than later.

This all makes sense to me. You know, I really appreciate you articulating this particular situation as opposed to charging me $9.95 and saying the situation with fluid.

• Like 6

Notre Dame continues its push for NaNa Osafo-Mensah

Tom Loy - 4 hours agoVIP18

When trying to identify the most important target on the defensive side of the ball for Notre Dame, it's not too difficult to figure out.

Fort Worth (Texas) Nolan Catholic four-star defensive end NaNa Osafo-Mensah isn't just a want for the Fighting Irish, he's a need.

So, what's the latest?

According to the 6-4, 227-pounder, defensive line coach Mike Elston and defensive coordinator Clark Lea will be at Nolan Catholic high school on Thursday to check in with the top pass-rusher target. This is a huge visit, as he heads to Texas next weekend (May 4) for a final trip before making his commitment announcement next month.

The Fighting Irish coaching staff is going toe to toe with Texas and a decision is coming on May 19. These are his two finalists and he's quickly closing in on a commitment. Will he end up with the Irish or stay home and play for the Longhorns?

Notre Dame crushed his recent official visit to South Bend. From all accounts, the Irish hold the edge heading into his final offiical visit to Texas. My 247Sports Crystal Ball remains on the Fighting Irish.

Per the 247Sports Composite Rankings, Osafo-Mensah is the No. 118 overall player in the country, No. 7 weak-side defensive end nationally and No. 17 prospect in Texas from the 2019 class

Sent from my LGLS755 using Tapatalk

Andrew Ellis expects two Ohio State commits by the end of next week. I'd bet that Wilson is one of those two, although I think our official visit was enough to keep the door cracked open for a future change of heart with good results on the field

2 minutes ago, Fud said:

Andrew Ellis expects two Ohio State commits by the end of next week. I'd bet that Wilson is one of those two, although I think our official visit was enough to keep the door cracked open for a future change of heart with good results on the field

tenor.gif?itemid=4691441

57 minutes ago, Longhorn94 said:

BS. This is the main reason I currently visit this board. Please make CTJ cry when he is wrong.

4 hours ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

Yes, but we're talking about Hudson freakin' Card, man.  He has had children named after him for several generations before he was born. That's how much of an athlete he is.  Some say that he's faster than Teddy Lehman and that his father is known as the Frank Sinatra of Lichtenstein. 

He dethroned sydmill harris’ dad?

• Like 1

I may be overthinking this, but I don't like that the narrative around Wilson is that tOSU took the lead after his OV there, but that we merely pulled even after he OV'ed here. I'm not necessarily talking about what the actual truth may be, just about how the $9.95er fanfiction usually plays out. They like to play up lead changes for drama, not one team pulling ahead and another closing the gap. To me that indicates that we're still the underdog.

3 minutes ago, tokamak said:

I may be overthinking this, but I don't like that the narrative around Wilson is that tOSU took the lead after his OV there, but that we merely pulled even after he OV'ed here. I'm not necessarily talking about what the actual truth may be, just about how the $9.95er fanfiction usually plays out. They like to play up lead changes for drama, not one team pulling ahead and another closing the gap. To me that indicates that we're still the underdog.

I'm pretty sure Ohio State pulled ahead with his UOV about a month ago, and then Texas didn't pull back ahead with the subsequent UOV, and has been playing from behind ever since 

Just now, Pato del Muerto said:

I figured we’d have 1 or 2 public commitments from last weekend even though the coaches seemingly weren’t prioritizing it, so now I’m jonesing for someone to pull the trigger. 

Watson on May 1st, then probably a couple on the big May 4th weekend, imo (keeping in mind Nana is 5/19 and not counting Wilson, who I don't want to get my hopes up on).

Edited by texifornia

12 minutes ago, Fud said:

I'm pretty sure Ohio State pulled ahead with his UOV about a month ago, and then Texas didn't pull back ahead with the subsequent UOV, and has been playing from behind ever since 

Hate it and have absolutely no real clue, but am concerned this is the case.

7 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I figured we’d have 1 or 2 public commitments from last weekend even though the coaches seemingly weren’t prioritizing it, so now I’m jonesing for someone to pull the trigger. 

Seems like they are playing it like last year. Weren't they pretty evenly spaced out through the dog days of summer?

5 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

I hope Leal follows the Sterns path and shows up out of the blue on campus and flips.

I'd love it, but that was Sterns' first time getting the UT pitch/experience. Leal's already seen almost everything and still decided gomerville was his move.

22 minutes ago, Fud said:

He has said as much publicly.  This is exactly what happened.  The question is whether Texas did enough to pull even/ahead this past weekend on his OV.  The longer this plays out as "tied," the farther from home C'bus looks.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

He has said as much publicly.  This is exactly what happened.  The question is whether Texas did enough to pull even/ahead this past weekend on his OV.  The longer this plays out as "tied," the farther from home C'bus looks.

Entering the weekend, I pretty much accepted that he'd commit to OSU within the next week or two, and I was concerned that since he was making this decision so early, he was completely sold on OSU and would shut it down. However, I think this weekend was successful enough to at least give us a chance even if/when he announces for OSU. 

21 minutes ago, texifornia said:

I'd love it, but that was Sterns' first time getting the UT pitch/experience. Leal's already seen almost everything and still decided gomerville was his move.

He hasn't taken his Texas official yet so he hasn't seen everything.

2 hours ago, Longhorn94 said:

So lets say a guy is pretty certain he is going to Texas. he wants to go there, his parents want him to go there. and then he goes to Ohio State and meets with Urban Meyer, are you telling me its surprising that Meyer would be able to persuade him that maybe Ohio State is the better choice? Do you think Meyer is bad or new at this thing called recruiting? Oh and they have your HS QB putting the full court press on you, you dont think that matters? So the kid becomes unsure of what he wants to do. He is torn between two great programs. Is that surprising to you? Not me. Does that mean he committed to OSU? No. And then the kid goes to Texas and loves it. Says they showed him everything he needed to see and then promptly announces he may push his decision back a little. And somehow you think that confirms he was committed to OSU? Uh, no.

you know what you have to do...let Wilson sleep with your wife

4 minutes ago, cdain3 said:

He hasn't taken his Texas official yet so he hasn't seen everything.

He's been on campus half a dozen times or more. He's seen 95 percent of it. 

If anything, Aggy did what we did to Sterns last year. Kid was all one school forever, went to the other campus one time and flipped/committed.

2 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

He's been on campus half a dozen times or more. He's seen 95 percent of it. 

If anything, Aggy did what we did to Sterns last year. Kid was all one school forever, went to the other campus one time and flipped/committed.

Not quite, Sterns was committed to lsu. lsu got lazy and did not realize our position. Leal has been aggie all along, we made a play via mom and thought we were good. Brewster did what he does and it worked since Leal was an aggie fan. Mowry and Leal are one hell of a start to a DL class, only way I see us winning Leal over is with a monster season.

Don’t get your hopes up guys.  Every site is basically laying it out there that he has decided.  Hell his good friend Elijah Higgins already said that Wilson has already decided where he will go.  Listen to his quotes.  He wants to be at Texas but he’s not stupid enough to commit to a school that’s been making false promises of turning the corner since 2009.  It’s been almost 10 damn years since we were competitive.  It’s pretty clear he knows he will get utilitized at Ohio state since they have proof.  I think with a 10 win season, we can possibly flip him later.  Much of that depends on how our seasons and Ohio states season plays out.  If they are in the playoff conversation late in the year,  then it will be even tougher.  I hope I’m wrong bc he’s an elite talent.  Would love for him to commit next week and tell Meyer to fuck off.

Regardless,  appreciate the info from LH94.

Edited by victory88
  • Like 3
  • Fuck You 1

Longhorn94 has been saying "Wilson is going to Texas." He did not specify any sort of timeframe.

Obviously what's going to happen is that Wilson will commit to and sign with Ohio State, then Urban will run off Matthew Baldwin once he has fulfilled his duty of luring Wilson to Columbus, then Wilson will turn on Urbz for being a snake and will transfer back to Texas, becoming eligible for the 2021 season.

10 minutes ago, victory88 said:

Don’t get your hopes up guys.  Every site is basically laying it out there that he has decided.  Hell his good friend Elijah Higgins already said that Wilson has already decided where he will go.  Listen to his quotes.  He wants to be at Texas but he’s not stupid enough to commit to a school that’s been making false promises of turning the corner since 2009.  It’s been almost 10 damn years since we were competitive.  It’s pretty clear he knows he will get utilitized at Ohio state since they have proof.  I think with a 10 win season, we can possibly flip him later.  Much of that depends on how our seasons and Ohio states season plays out.  If they are in the playoff conversation late in the year,  then it will be even tougher.  I hope I’m wrong bc he’s an elite talent.  Would love for him to commit next week and tell Meyer to fuck off.

Regardless,  appreciate the info from LH94.

You're a week behind on this recruitment, bro.

giphy.gif

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Longhorn94 has been saying "Wilson is going to Texas." He did not specify any sort of timeframe.

Obviously what's going to happen is that Wilson will commit to and sign with Ohio State, then Urban will run off Matthew Baldwin once he has fulfilled his duty of luring Wilson to Columbus, then Wilson will turn on Urbz for being a snake and will transfer back to Texas, becoming eligible for the 2021 season.

Probably about the same time Kris Boyd transfers back to A&M