Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

15 hours ago, Longhorn94 said:

Rover is inside in our defense as well. It's the weakside LB or the Will in traditional D nomenclature. 

I miss the use of "Weakside", "Middle", and "Strongside" as words used to describe linebacker positions in American Football.

They made sense and were easy to remember, because everyone used the same words.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, pacman said:

He is a typical Alabama defense take, well advanced past his peers physically.

Adeoye wasn't exactly small either. Hopefully they both have great LB instincts/recognition because we seem to sorely lack that skillset here, for awhile now.

For what it's worth, Floyd's instincts look pretty top-notch in his film. I know that you can't tell all that much from a highlight reel, but what is on there does look very encouraging.

6 hours ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

Are people down on our LBs or something? 

I thought GJ has been pretty good to great with a couple down moments. Shark was a really pleasant surprise imo. Makes me feel a lot better about next year. And Wheeler is a limited player but I still think he's underrated. Our defense has been a lot better with him on the field compared to when he was suspended/injured.

Malik went from benched under Strong to B12 co-DPOY last year. LB depth is and will be scary but they've been good minus Maryland and OU 

Agree LBs are better since Orlando arrived.  But Wheeler disappears for long stretches and at times GJ gets out of position because he's too slow in his reads.  Since both are Seniors, I'm sure even TO  has been disappointed with some of their play.  In July 2018  GJ made the preseason Butkis Award Watchlist so expectations for 2018 were high.  

I'm just hoping to see  LBs improve and play better during the 2nd Half of this Season .  Found this write-up on LBs performances at the BlowU game:

LB

"We would have been better replacing Wheeler with a scarecrow wearing a Tommy Nobis Fathead. The Mummy was in full effect. Gary Johnson was mesmerized by OU's play action, backfield movement and kept letting OU's OL get a piece of him on 2nd level releases. When you run a 4.5 at MLB, at least guess somewhere fast. Paralyzation robs you of what makes you special. GJ excels at see-ball, chase-ball and Lincoln Riley excels at making players like Gary see decoy balls all over the field. #33 short-circuited." 

"I would have also liked to have seen McCulloch more, particularly as legs tired over time. You don't have to put in a nickel to accomplish that. It's not hard devise a dime package, particularly if you sit Wheeler. As I've written before, Shark's best attribute is actually his strength and pop - he can hold up against big boys just fine."

Edited by LTtxfan

6 hours ago, texifornia said:

You also clearly don't rate Drayton. Who on the staff do you like?

Like both Orlando and Drayton..... As a result, I have High Expectations for the two group's that they coach and expect to see more improvement for the LBs & RBs during the 2nd Half of 2018 Season.  🤘

8 hours ago, Machinator said:

Our linebacker play was very good last season, especially once Wheeler and Hughes were taken off the field.

The problem is that the coaches are rather stubborn about sticking with certain entrenched players, even if they've been shown to be ineffective over and over again. Orlando deserves part of the blame for that, but that's not necessarily a development issue.

+1000

LBs gonna be an interesting group to watch develop when the 2019 Class shows up.

11 hours ago, CfRhTxStBobcats said:

Gonna have to call bullshit on 23 mph. Bolts average speed in the 100 meters is around 23.5 with a top end of around 28. No way this kids top end speed is close to Bolts average speed.

Dude chasing his kick topped out five mph less than what Bolt tops out at in 100 meters chasing nobody. Is that really hard to believe?

Edited by UncleBuck

4 minutes ago, CowboyFred said:

Is this a new shhh, about the outstanding shhh that is supposedly going to announce tomorrow, or just about the 2019 class in general?

[tweet]http://twitter.com/BCarringtonUT/status/1055434355781328896[/tweet]

This board doesn't require the tweet tags - all you need to do is post the link.

Not a new 'shhhhh'.  'Shhhh' are only the 'shhhhh' emoji and nothing else.

Edited by Hiphopopotamos

3 minutes ago, CowboyFred said:

Is this a new shhh, about the outstanding shhh that is supposedly going to announce tomorrow, or just about the 2019 class in general?

[tweet]http://twitter.com/BCarringtonUT/status/1055434355781328896[/tweet]

I think the general consensus is that only the tweets with just a shhh are commits, but this does seem like it could be another one.

I've been hoping to see more from the B-backer spot in terms of a consistent pass-rush. Last year we spent most of our time in dime because of how ineffective Hughes was. He was the featured pass rusher, played in all 13 games last year, and recorded a grand total of... two sacks. This year Roach and McCulloch have no sacks combined between the two.

Now, whether that's a LB problem or a DL problem is anyone's guess given that the B-backer role seems to be a hybrid of the two.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Dondrysdale1 said:

Obviously a hint that it’s maybe more than Washington on Friday? Any wild guesses? Obviously 9.95 playbook 101 but when is it not fun to speculate in the positive.

Hmmm Kennedy Lewis deciding to lock down his spot and finish up our (non-Bru) WR recruiting potentially.

27 minutes ago, Dondrysdale1 said:

Obviously a hint that it’s maybe more than Washington on Friday? Any wild guesses? Obviously 9.95 playbook 101 but when is it not fun to speculate in the positive.

My wet dream scenario is that Cooper and Washington are going to drop at the same time.

5 minutes ago, Radical Larry said:

EJ is gonna get the beetus.

EJ has had big ass bitch tits since he was 20 years old. He's purportedly lost plenty of weight, per him, but lets not pretend that this is a guy who is predisposed to being fit and healthy. He needs to avoid sugar the way Carl Winslow needs to embrace Jesus. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

EJ has had big ass bitch tits since he was 20 years old. He's purportedly lost plenty of weight, per him, but lets not pretend that this is a guy who is predisposed to being fit and healthy. He needs to avoid sugar the way Carl Winslow needs to embrace Jesus. 

And not the Art Briles version of Jesus.

2 minutes ago, cmontexas said:

Most Olympic sprinters achieve a similar or same top speed as Bolt. He blows them away because he's able to maintain that top speed longer than his peers

I'm no expert on olympic sprinting, but this seems like bullshit to me. The 100 meter dash is over in less than 10 seconds. Is it your position that these dudes run out of energy and slow down after like 5 seconds at top speed? Seems to me getting to top speed fastest and having a higher top speed is what makes him better. Not that he has more "endurance"

Just now, irishtexan said:

I'm no expert on olympic sprinting, but this seems like bullshit to me. The 100 meter dash is over in less than 10 seconds. Is it your position that these dudes run out of energy and slow down after like 5 seconds at top speed? Seems to me getting to top speed fastest and having a higher top speed is what makes him better. Not that he has more "endurance"

Its not endurance per say but his long legs take longer to slow down, like a highway gear in a car. He's a goddamn freak because every other 6'5 human is incapable of reaching that speed

https://www.google.com/amp/s/qz.com/1043997/usain-bolt-is-the-fastest-human-in-the-world-heres-the-science-that-shows-how-he-does-it/amp/

To those watching in the stadium or on TV, “it looks like Bolt kicks into another gear” at the end of a sprint, Udofa says. But actually, he’s just slowing down the least. Even the fastest sprinters mostly can’t hang on to their top speeds much farther beyond the 70-meter mark. Although they’re not slowing down in a noticeable way (at least to the untrained eye), they’re decelerating more than Bolt does[/QUOTE]

3 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

I would apologize for helping to derail the conversation, but that’s 75% of conversation here. It’s not energy they have “run out of”, it’s a matter of reaching your lactate threshold. Once a runner goes into the red zone, their muscles flood with lactic acid and make it difficult to sustain their peak level. Usain Bolt‘s body is able to withhold physiological effects for longer than most sprinters.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, cmontexas said:

Most Olympic sprinters achieve a similar or same top speed as Bolt. He blows them away because he's able to maintain that top speed longer than his peers

Close, but not exactly. He doesn’t maintain top speed longer, he has a much longer stride length.  It takes him fewer steps to complete race than his competitors.