Texas recruiting notes 2019

1 minute ago, George Clooney said:

It's fucking hilarious how butthurt Craig is at LSU for firing him once Ogre took over full time. He was talking shit and yelling at LSU staff members after their game against aggy and helped set off the infamous punch chain reaction.

He did more than help. He was fucking responsible for every aspect of that altercation except the actual punch. I'm pretty sure he went full fucking Smokey over a prone Steve Kragthorpe after the punch and screamed about how he got knocked the fuck out. 

Just now, SydneyCarton said:

He did more than help. He was fucking responsible for every aspect of that altercation except the actual punch. I'm pretty sure he went full fucking Smokey over a prone Steve Kragthorpe after the punch and screamed about how he got knocked the fuck out. 

Yeah if you watch the video Craig looks like drippiest front-running pussy imaginable. Even Jimbo's dumbass nephew comes out looking like more of a man.

2018/2019 combined classes, fantastic minus the RB depth

QB

Casey Thompson

Roschon Johnson

RB

Keontay Ingram

Derrian Brown

Jordan Whittington

WR

Eagles

Moore

Woodard

Epps

McCoy

Whittington

Smith

Washington

Lewis

TE

Liebrock

Wiley

OL

Angilau

Moore

Ghirmai

Jones

Johnson

Hookfin

Shepherd

DL

Coburn

Ojomo

Carson

Vaughns

Jones

Mpagi

Warren

Sweat

LB

Ossai

Adeoye

Floyd

McCoy

Tillman

Johnson

Gbenda

DB

Sterns

Foster

Green

Overshown

Cook

Jamison

Owens

Watson

Adimora

Caldwell

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, pacman said:

QB

Casey Thompson

Roschon Johnson

RB

Keontay Ingram

Derrian Brown

Jordan Whittington

WR

Eagles

Moore

Woodard

Epps

McCoy

Whittington

Smith

Washington

Lewis

TE

Liebrock

Wiley

OL

Angilau

Moore

Ghirmai

Jones

Johnson

Hookfin

Shepherd

DL

Coburn

Ojomo

Carson

Vaughns

Jones

Mpagi

Warren

Sweat

LB

Ossai

Adeoye

Floyd

McCoy

Tillman

Johnson

Gbenda

DB

Sterns

Foster

Green

Overshown

Cook

Jamison

Owens

Watson

Adimora

Caldwell

On paper  (ie potential) that’s a quality roster. Many there proved last year they can play.  Very excited to see the new comers fill out the roster 

Edited by jdhorn92

4 hours ago, Modessit said:
20 hours ago, Not a Sock said:
I have yet to see anybody else use microbiology as insults.

Sounds like something a parmecium would say.

2 hours ago, sushihorn said:

He's a lower form of life than a retrovirus.

1 hour ago, Ghost of Shag said:

You fellas are really determined, aren't ya?

spermatozoa-vector-9679002.jpg

11 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

In looking over this class yesterday, it really does a great job of filling a ton of needs to run herman’s optimal offense, especially adding more formational functionality without subbing and explosive plays. Smith and/or Whittington can both be effective in being a jet motion guy. Herman ran that action a lot at tOSU and UH, but he hasn’t used it much at UT, in part because we haven’t had a burner who can play slot, which is required to make that motion threatening. Smith can be effective in that Percy Harvin/Curtis Samuel role, and having that guy adds a ton of big play ability not only for Smith but also for moving the defenders and creating better alleys for our RBs to break runs up the middle. 

Bru can absolutely dominate in that big slot role and also play outside depending on matchups.

but I think the biggest element we added to the team with this class if formational flexibility. Liebrock is by far the best pass catching TE prospect we have and when you combine him with Whittington (and Brown is also a good route runner if he can return to football) at RB, we can go from a heavy set to 5 wide without letting the defense sub. Bru will end up playing at around 225 and he’s already a punishing blocker, so we could easily motion him inside and have essentially a 2 TE set where Bru chips an outside defender and Liebrock works as the lead blocker for Whit. Next play, we can shift to a legitimate 5 wide because Whittington is a full blown WR and  Liebrock is already an elite route runner. We’ve run some 4 and 5 wide this year, but Beck and our RBs aren’t nearly the receiving threats these new guys are. We can slow utilize 2 back sets without whit and Smith. I think the apex of this will be when we open a drive in a heavy formation, and let a defense put its run blocking unit out there, only to motion Bru, Liebrock, and Whittington our, so 2 of them are now covered by LBs or box safeties. With this kind of flexibility, we can create mismatches all over the field and there’s really nothing a defense can do to stop it. They’ll have to constantly choose what mismatch they’re willing to concede. We’ll be virtually guaranteed to have Liebrock and/or Whittington covered by guys who can’t stay with them, or a defense will have to forego help over the top to avoid this, in which case guys like Smith and Eagles can kill the defense deep until they’re forced to put safeties back over top. And all of that isn’t even mentioning using the QB as a runner into light boxes when we motion everyone out.

The personnel Herman is amassing is truly incredible and he’s got to be salivating at all the things he can do with these guys in the fold. 

This ^^^^. Awesome post. 

We have come a long way from Watson and Gilbert. 

7 hours ago, pacman said:

WR
Eagles
Moore
Woodard
Epps (WR->TE->WR->??)

McCoy
Whittington
Smith
Washington
Lewis

TE
Liebrock
Wiley

Reading the projections for this year, you would think that Eagles & Woodward will be lucky to see the 2 Deep and Epps has been forgotten since the high school WR was going to move to TE and then it was decided that he would stay at WR... but he won't make the 2 Deep at WR and he was the only TE in the 2018 class, but...

Considering the Class of 2020 will bring in top WRs, because it's impossible not to these days, especially if you're Texas, are Eagles/Woodward/Epps just going to be scout team guys with Moore likely to transfer out soon?

Posts seem to be made with the general assumption that: 
1) Whatever is left of 2018's 2-Deep will start...
2) If they can hold off 2019's True Freshmen

It is like redshirts, redshirt freshmen, and redshirt sophomores who were solidly in the 2 Deep just don't have a shot at contributing.

Why are projections always made with this mindset?

Just now, Napoleon said:

Reading the projections for this year, you would think that Eagles & Woodward will be lucky to see the 2 Deep and Epps has been forgotten since the high school WR was going to move to TE and then it was decided that he would stay at WR... but he won't make the 2 Deep at WR and he was the only TE in the 2018 class, but...

Considering the Class of 2020 will bring in top WRs, because it's impossible not to these days, especially if you're Texas, are Eagles/Woodward/Epps just going to be scout team guys with Moore likely to transfer out soon?

Posts seem to be made with the general assumption that: 
1) Whatever is left of 2018's 2-Deep will start...
2) If they can hold off 2019's True Freshmen

It is like redshirts, redshirt freshmen, and redshirt sophomores who were solidly in the 2 Deep just don't have a shot at contributing.

Why are projections always made with this mindset?

n725075089_288918_2774.jpg

In all seriousness you are DRAMATICALLY underrating the skills and experience of the guys currently on campus and overrating the ability of any freshman to instantly plug-and-play.

It would not be shocking to see Moore (remember his TD against USC?) starting at slot against LaTech, with Eagles as CJ's primary backup.

• Like 8

7 minutes ago, texifornia said:

In all seriousness you are DRAMATICALLY underrating the skills and experience of the guys currently on campus and overrating the ability of any freshman to instantly plug-and-play.

This should be posted at the top of every thread in discussions about rosters and recruiting. 

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, texifornia said:

It would not be shocking to see Moore (remember his TD against USC?) starting at slot against LaTech, with Eagles as CJ's primary backup.

Umm...

I'm not the one making any predictions.

I'm the one ASKING "WHY... do these predictions nearly always dismiss the players on campus?"

I would think that predictions would say "60% to 75% of these guys are going to redshirt", but the predictions haven't been close to that this year.

I've only read/listened to the following even being considered for a redshirt:

QB: Roshon Johnson

RB: __________

WR: Lewis

TE: Wiley (definitely) / Liebrock (50/50)

OL: Hookfin / Shepherd / (Johnson is considered a shoo-in for 2 Deep)

DL: Mpagi / Warren / Sweat (70/30 he redshirts)

LB: Tillman (because no one knows about him) / Gbenda (50/50)

DB: Owens / Caldwell

So 10 definites,  3 more possibilities, but McCoy /Whittington / Smith are expected to get plenty of field time with Washington being seen as a "Co" 2nd teamer.

I would think that the only guaranteed playing time goes to Whittington & Jacoby Jones, with De'Gabriel Floyd being the 3rd most likely to see playing time. After that, it is "we'll see".

6 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Umm...

I'm not the one making any predictions.

I'm the one ASKING "WHY... do these predictions nearly always dismiss the players on campus?"

I would think that predictions would say "60% to 75% of these guys are going to redshirt", but the predictions haven't been close to that this year.

I've only read/listened to the following even being considered for a redshirt:

QB: Roshon Johnson

RB: __________

WR: Lewis

TE: Wiley (definitely) / Liebrock (50/50)

OL: Hookfin / Shepherd / (Johnson is considered a shoo-in for 2 Deep)

DL: Mpagi / Warren / Sweat (70/30 he redshirts)

LB: Tillman (because no one knows about him) / Gbenda (50/50)

DB: Owens / Caldwell

So 10 definites,  3 more possibilities, but McCoy /Whittington / Smith are expected to get plenty of field time with Washington being seen as a "Co" 2nd teamer.

I would think that the only guaranteed playing time goes to Whittington & Jacoby Jones, with De'Gabriel Floyd being the 3rd most likely to see playing time. After that, it is "we'll see".

Ok, rereading it, I see what you're saying. I think we all just have to take our experience reading these things, which are largely built around inspiring hope and optimism and new subscriptions, and take them with a grain of salt. Most recruits have been all-everything in high school, and they start to understand it when they're getting kicked in the mouth by 23 year old walk-ons their first practice on campus (to paraphrase Scipio's recent article).

I remember as a swimmer showing up to college and the seniors, who I knew I was more talented than, were just working me over in practice. You have to recruit the guys that can take that as a sign that means they need to work harder than they ever have before, rather than "fuck you, I know I'm awesome, I need to be starting".

Edited by texifornia
  • Like 3

24 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Ok, rereading it, I see what you're saying. I think we all just have to take our experience reading these things, which are largely built around inspiring hope and optimism and new subscriptions, and take them with a grain of salt. Most recruits have been all-everything in high school, and they start to understand it when they're getting kicked in the mouth by 23 year old walk-ons their first practice on campus (to paraphrase Scipio's recent article).

I remember as a swimmer showing up to college and the seniors, who I knew I was more talented than, were just working me over in practice. You have to recruit the guys that can take that as a sign that means they need to work harder than they ever have before, rather than "fuck you, I know I'm awesome, I need to be starting".

You lost me at the thought of you in a Speedo.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, texifornia said:

And Epps looked good in his limited minutes too.  After watching CJ and LJH this year I could see the staff wanting to develop him as a pure wideout.

Dismissing true freshmen is just stupid.

Mike Roach: Closing the book on the 2019 recruiting class

Tom Herman dominated in-state recruiting during the 2018 cycle. The staff assembled the best of the best during their first full cycle in Austin and won most of their head-to-head battles. That wasn’t the case in 2019. Facing stiff competition from Texas A&M under first-year head coach Jimbo Fisher and Oklahoma under Lincoln Riley, Texas lost early head-to-head battles for key targets.

It started when A&M landed Bishop Dunne safety Brian Williams. A top target for Craig Naivar, Williams’ commitment kicked off a chain of events that saw the Longhorns come up on the losing end for Demani Richardson, DeMarvin Leal, Dylan Wright, Baylor Cupp and Kenyon Green. The Aggies weren’t the only opposition Texas faced. Stanford topped the Longhorns for Branson Bragg and Elijah Higgins. Ohio State won over Garrett Wilson, while Oklahoma landed Theo Wease, EJ Ndoma-Ogar and Marcus Hicks.

The outlook was bleak for many fans, but Herman did what he has done so many times during his coaching career. He pivoted and found a new avenue to build his class. The Texas brand has always been capable of recruiting nationally, but the wealth of in-state talent and risk of upsetting the THSCA relegated them to a regional recruiter. When Charlie Strong was forced to look outside of the state for talent, he was skewered by high school coaches. Herman was able to nimbly walk the line and keep both sides happy.

Exactly half of the 2019 class came from states not named Texas. Mater Dei (Calif.) athlete Bru McCoy was the highest rated player in the class. Westlake (Calif.) linebacker De’Gabriel Floyd was one of the earliest commitments and vocal leaders in this group. Notre Dame Prep (AZ) wide receiver Jake Smith won the Gatorade National Player of the Year award, and Chandler (AZ) tight end Brayden Liebrock was one of the best in the country at his position.

Aside from those prospects, Texas went back to California for Mayfair safety Chris Adimora and Fullerton College linebacker Caleb Johnson. They also went into Georgia for Grayson cornerback Kenyatta Watson and Buford running back Derrian Brown.

Texas went back to Louisiana for Many (La.) defensive end Myron Warren, and the Longhorns visited familiar recruiting grounds in Missouri and Florida for Trinity Catholic wide receiver Marcus Washington and Orlando Jones linebacker Marcus Tillman. Butler C.C. (KS) defensive end Jacoby Jones, a Louisiana native, topped off the out-of-state class and ensured Texas would have some immediate depth coming in during the spring.

The Longhorns also won a number of in-state battles. Jordan Whittington, Javonne Shepherd and David Gbenda could be counted as head-to-head victories over the Aggies. Tyler Johnson never showed much interest in other schools, but any program in the region would have loved to land him. The Texas backup plan was successful enough to put the Longhorns back into the Top 5 in the 247Sports team recruiting rankings.

There are questions regarding the sustainability of a strategy like this, but they don’t ultimately matter. If a plan proves to no longer be effective, Herman and his staff have shown the ability to improvise, adapt and overcome.