Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

12 hours ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Brutal schedule for Ogre this year.  OOC game to open year vs Miami and cross-divisional matchup is Georgia.

Hell, it wouldn't be to shocking to see aggy and LSU playing that last game with winner bowl eligible and loser stays home for bowl season.

Orgeron might get his ass saved by Joe Burrow this year 

1 hour ago, Fud said:

Some results

Hide contents

Name

Height, Weight

Shuttle

Vert

Garrett Wilson
6'0-1/2, 181

Jalen Catalon 
5’9 192

Jeffery Carter. Outstanding numbers. 
6'0 180

Demani Richardson. Expected better testing after his coaches talked him up as being as fast as Reagor. Still above average for a safety. 

6'1 203

Trace Ford. Great shuttle. Wonder what the knock on him is, height? 
6'2-1/2 218

Marquez Beason. Good times, a little short though. 
5'10 174

Roschon ran poorly again at 4.81 with no shuttle or vert, but he's up to 203 pounds at 6'0-1/2. The difference between his timed speed and game speed are weird. 

Nnamdi Adim-Madamere was supposedly timed at a sub 4.5 this spring, but ran a 4.76

Bragg measured in well, 6'4 295, with a 4.76 shuttle

Dax and Stingley are freaks. Qualan Jones recently committed to Baylor, curious if they'll keep him at RB. Clemson offered TJ McDaniel way early, but he hasn't blown up yet aside from an Oregon offer. As mentioned above, Tisdale tested well and is a great athlete for the position. 

Just imagine if RoJo ran a 4.5.  He would have scored 15 touchdowns in that playoff game instead of only 10.  Too bad.  

“In coaching, if you say it once you say it 1,000 times and I wish more people would listen — it really is not the ones that go to other schools that beat you,” Herman said. “A kid leaves here and goes to the Midwest, we’re never going to play him. He’s not going to beat us. It’s the ones that you take that can’t play because you only have 85 scholarships.”

True dat.

TFB Open Post: http://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2018/05/open-post-wednesday-may-9th/

– 2019 Wide Receiver Jake Smith out of Scottsdale, Arizona, has named his top two. This will be a Texas vs USC battle.

We feel that Texas is the team to beat right now, but Jake will be taking his official visit to USC in June. We will keep you posted on that one. – (Super K)

Marcus Banks: The Texas Defensive Back target out of Houston (Dekaney) was scheduled to make a visit this past weekend. He did not make it in.

However, Don’t read too much into it. Marcus’ mother let me know that they wanted to have a family weekend and will be returning in June after their LSU trip. This gives Texas the last word in yet another recruitment. Hopefully they’ll make the most of it. – (Will)

– Right now we feel come May 19th, NaNa Osafo-Mensah will be committing to Notre Dame. If that does happen, I don’t think the staff will give up recruiting him until he signs.

However, that leaves the question of who’s the next man up?

Back in February, I listed a bunch of guys who are on the Longhorns’ staff’s board.

http://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2018/03/open-post-wednesday-march-7th/

While Texas is still in hot pursuit of the 4-star DE Marcus Stripling out of Mayde Creek in Katy, there are a number of other directions the staff is thinking about going.

– 4-star DE Gilbert Ibeneme – Pearland (Pearland, TX) 6’3” 255

Gilbert Ibeneme is one of the first names that was mentioned when I went searching for answers. He messed up his knee last season, so he hasn’t really been a guy who has weight behind his name. However, Texas still knows about him and are very interested. They are waiting to see how he comes off his knee injury, but they are also very excited about what he could do in the Texas defense.

If all is good with his knee, Ibeneme has the size and build to fit in perfectly at the 4i position in this defense. He shows great technical use of his hands in his sophomore film and an ability to get through the inside. He could work on his agility as he looks a bit too big for his body, but that is something that good development could fix fast.

Gilbert Ibeneme is proof positive that Texas has so much talent, it’s hard not to find a guy who could compete at a high level. If Texas enters the fight, they’ll be dealing with Arkansas, A&M, Oklahoma, and TCU.

– 3-star DE MJ Anderson – Christian Brothers College HS (St. Louis, MO) 6’4″ 250

Texas is very interested in this St. Louis product and he shares the same interest back. Anderson visited Texas back on April 7th and will most likely OV during the season. The only thing holding Anderson back is that he had a compound fracture of his femur. An almost clean snap.

Texas hasn’t yet given him an offer as they are waiting to see how he does coming off his injury, but if they were to offer they’d be competing with Notre Dame, South Carolina, Nebraska, and Michigan State.

– 3-star DT/DE Jason Gold – Clear Springs (League City, TX) 6’4″ 250

Jason Gold is more like a diamond in the rough. He is a guy who is very versatile with the frame to fit at the very least 30 more pounds or stay lean and mean on the outside. He’s got a fast first step, and if he was move violent with his hands, he’d go a long way.

If Texas jumped in, they’d be fighting Arkansas and TCU. – (Will)

10 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Oh, and NOM’s dad is a surgeon and very hands on about his son. He’s the driver for ND. He’s not incredibly likely to be swayed by Kelly coming under fire. Not impossible, but they’re committing to the school. 

Is his dad aware that TH never killed anybody (as far as we know)?

14 minutes ago, Machinator said:

TFB Open Post: http://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2018/05/open-post-wednesday-may-9th/

Reveal hidden contents

– 2019 Wide Receiver Jake Smith out of Scottsdale, Arizona, has named his top two. This will be a Texas vs USC battle.

We feel that Texas is the team to beat right now, but Jake will be taking his official visit to USC in June. We will keep you posted on that one. – (Super K)

Marcus Banks: The Texas Defensive Back target out of Houston (Dekaney) was scheduled to make a visit this past weekend. He did not make it in.

However, Don’t read too much into it. Marcus’ mother let me know that they wanted to have a family weekend and will be returning in June after their LSU trip. This gives Texas the last word in yet another recruitment. Hopefully they’ll make the most of it. – (Will)

– Right now we feel come May 19th, NaNa Osafo-Mensah will be committing to Notre Dame. If that does happen, I don’t think the staff will give up recruiting him until he signs.

However, that leaves the question of who’s the next man up?

Back in February, I listed a bunch of guys who are on the Longhorns’ staff’s board.

http://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2018/03/open-post-wednesday-march-7th/

While Texas is still in hot pursuit of the 4-star DE Marcus Stripling out of Mayde Creek in Katy, there are a number of other directions the staff is thinking about going.

– 4-star DE Gilbert Ibeneme – Pearland (Pearland, TX) 6’3” 255

Gilbert Ibeneme is one of the first names that was mentioned when I went searching for answers. He messed up his knee last season, so he hasn’t really been a guy who has weight behind his name. However, Texas still knows about him and are very interested. They are waiting to see how he comes off his knee injury, but they are also very excited about what he could do in the Texas defense.

If all is good with his knee, Ibeneme has the size and build to fit in perfectly at the 4i position in this defense. He shows great technical use of his hands in his sophomore film and an ability to get through the inside. He could work on his agility as he looks a bit too big for his body, but that is something that good development could fix fast.

Gilbert Ibeneme is proof positive that Texas has so much talent, it’s hard not to find a guy who could compete at a high level. If Texas enters the fight, they’ll be dealing with Arkansas, A&M, Oklahoma, and TCU.

– 3-star DE MJ Anderson – Christian Brothers College HS (St. Louis, MO) 6’4″ 250

Texas is very interested in this St. Louis product and he shares the same interest back. Anderson visited Texas back on April 7th and will most likely OV during the season. The only thing holding Anderson back is that he had a compound fracture of his femur. An almost clean snap.

Texas hasn’t yet given him an offer as they are waiting to see how he does coming off his injury, but if they were to offer they’d be competing with Notre Dame, South Carolina, Nebraska, and Michigan State.

– 3-star DT/DE Jason Gold – Clear Springs (League City, TX) 6’4″ 250

Jason Gold is more like a diamond in the rough. He is a guy who is very versatile with the frame to fit at the very least 30 more pounds or stay lean and mean on the outside. He’s got a fast first step, and if he was move violent with his hands, he’d go a long way.

If Texas jumped in, they’d be fighting Arkansas and TCU. – (Will)

tenor.gif?itemid=9628208

Just now, Hank_Hill said:

Much better than expected, but this was always the year to land a lot of top level depth in state. Could still happen 

I doubt we will be getting more than 2-3 in-state dline. We will probably be getting a JUCO, and a couple from Arky, MO, or OK.

7 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

Much better than expected, but this was always the year to land a lot of top level depth in state. Could still happen 

This is still a somewhat shallow year for dline talent in state. The position that imperative we are successful in state is oline best it's been in several years 

Edited by utfan87

4 minutes ago, SamTex said:

DL recruiting is absolutely an issue. That said, the fact that we know this in May and not in November/December is a huge benefit. The staff can act accordingly.

It was an issue last cycle too, until the staff pulled a rabbit out of their ass late. Likely going to have to do the same this year.

1 minute ago, Lonestar88 said:

It was an issue last cycle too, until the staff pulled a rabbit out of their ass late. Likely going to have to do the same this year.

No doubt it won't be easy but finding out 7 months earlier is without question an advantage. 

5 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

Who, other than Leal, in-state do you consider to be "top level"?

I'd say Stripling, but he never really showed interest in us. That shit happens from time to time.

But I don't think this year is particularly top--heavy as compared to other years, which would necessitate us landing the top-level depth. In fact, I think it's the opposite. It's a relatively thin year for elites but there are a lot of dudes that could come in, compete, and eventually develop into studs.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

Who, other than Leal, in-state do you consider to be "top level"?

I'd say Stripling, but he never really showed interest in us. That shit happens from time to time.

But I don't think this year is particularly top--heavy as compared to other years, which would necessitate us landing the top-level depth. In fact, I think it's the opposite. It's a relatively thin year for elites but there are a lot of dudes that could come in, compete, and eventually develop into studs.

I’d add Nana, but yes I guess I meant it’s more of an opportunity to add a good amount of actual quality depth along the line. Which we haven’t had in awhile thanks to the shit sandwich that was the best DT class ever a couple years ago. 

52 minutes ago, Longhorn94 said:

D-linemen are easier to plug and play than Olinemen. 

Not too mention this defense doesn't need great DL to be effective. Shit, Giles took a bunch of 3 stars, and made them into the best DL in the Big 12 last year.

8 minutes ago, Machinator said:

This staff evaluates well; we'll pick up some good DL this cycle regardless of what's going on now. But we need to be picking up a couple top-level talents as well if we want to elevate this roster to playoff contender.

Yep.  I'd also say we need stud OL more than DL.  Need Bragg and Shepherd to go with Tyler.  I actually think we'll get both.

55 minutes ago, Bob Lives! said:

How DL commits did we have this time last year? Seems like things turned out alright.  Y'all need to chill.  

26 minutes ago, Machinator said:

This staff evaluates well; we'll pick up some good DL this cycle regardless of what's going on now. But we need to be picking up a couple top-level talents as well if we want to elevate this roster to playoff contender.

21 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Not too mention this defense doesn't need great DL to be effective. Shit, Giles took a bunch of 3 stars, and made them into the best DL in the Big 12 last year.

Any rationalization about not getting the top DL talent on the table in Texas, and to some extent, regionally, is going to fall flat when Texas finds itself up against programs that are recruiting better and developing just as well. 4-5 star recruits developed well, on average, win more match-ups than not against lower ranked guys, also developed well. Bama, Clemson, Ohio State - these are programs doing well are cleaning up in recruiting and developing their OL and DL talent very well. We're whistling past the graveyard if we believe that either: 1) we'll coach ours up better than they'll coach theirs up or 2) we don't need great DL play to be a championship caliber team. Sorry. 

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, RabidM said:

Jones wasn't good before he gained the bad weight. He won't be good after he loses the bad weight.  His entire talent was being a large muscled human being at a young age. 

If there’s ever a sequel to “The Green Mile,” he should get an audition. 

It's interesting how Perroni keeps talking up how much Bama wants Shepherd, but I'm not sure if he's even a take for them. They already have three OL committed, and are probably the favorites for Webb and Wright