Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

IT recruiting updates:

TAUREAN CARTER

The Mansfield Legacy 6-foot-3, 260-pound defensive tackle finally visited Texas after a May offer.

“It was cool that everybody knew my name before I even got here,” said Carter. "The players here that are already committed are trying to recruit you, make you feel like family." (Huntsville's T'Vondre Sweat was in in his ear)

Now that Texas extended an offer to the 3-star lineman, they instantly jumped to the top of his list. They were his 15th offer including TCU, Oklahoma State, Florida, Colorado, and Michigan State.

"(Texas) is at the top," Carter said. "Texas and TCU are my favorites right now. UT and coach Giles likes me at all the d-line spots. They like my versatility and what I bring to the table."

When asked what was different about a visit to Austin compared to other schools, it was obvious with his smile.

"Attention," Carter replied emphatically. "It's crazy. Really crazy. The environment stands out. Just the detail and effort they go into to make you feel wanted. The possibility of playing for a national championship.

His teammate Jalen Catalon is a big influence on Carter. Taurean calls him his little brother and they maintain a close friendship. "We plan on going to the same school."

The multi-sport 4-star, and top Texas target, feels the same.

“Taurean is my guy and would be a good fit at Texas” Catalon says.

They've talked to each other about playing together, and when Carter was offered, those conversations intensified. Carter will return this fall for a game and an official visit.

With Texas looking at 4-5 defensive linemen in the 2019 class, Carter looks to be squarely in the mix.

Independence CC DE/LB Jermaine Johnson hit the Heat Wave pool party two weekends ago, and now looks to be making a decision later this summer.

At the moment, Georgia appears to be the team to beat, but UT has stressed the importance of Johnson arriving in Austin with the opportunity to play early and often.

2a. Alvin's Marques Caldwell Update: Trending Texas. I really like Marques.

2b. Houston North Forest's Javonne Shepherd Update: Trending Texas. When he makes his decision is anybody's guess, but I like UT's chances. A lot.

18 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Lulz EJ now has his Makiya Tongue crystal ball changed to cloudy.  Which I'm fine with this development because the kid is a stud and I hope we land him, but he had the pick on Georgia for what, a couple of days??

I'm curious if he's really a take for Georgia right now. Their recruiting, for whatever reason, is white hot.  

5 minutes ago, Bevo said:

So who are the DBs after Watson and Caldwell? Catalon, Cine, Carter... Anyone else?

Adimora is more or less calculator. Catalon looks Texas-bound unless we majorly fuck up this season, but as of now he isn't announcing until January.

Cine if he wants to come. Not sure what the plan is if he doesn't.

Carter depends on whatever his off-field issues are and if they clear up.

Then I assume we'll keep a spot until signing day for guys like Stingley or Noa Pola-Gates.

• Like 1

fuck this recruiting class. we are gonna blow this next season out. the guys that wait are gonna regret it. I think the staff is ok with taking project guys from here on out and hope a couple of big name guys come in before we are full. Confident that they can recruit over anybody who doesnt produce.

this will be an example to the guys from 2020 and beyond, that with Texas being back, you better get on early. or youll be left out. Blue Blood recruiting!!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, George Clooney said:

@Machinator You know far more about this than me, so I'll ask you this: what is our realistic finish in the composite rankings? I tried tinkering with the calculator but I'm not sure who would fill out our class besides the ones who are locks or near-locks.

Hell if I know. My gut tells me that the realistic worst case scenario is somewhere in top 15 territory.

It's going to be very competitive at the top this year. Urban and Saban aren't going anywhere; Penn State, OU, and Georgia all look to have banner cycles; Dabo is going to take a full class; USC typically closes strong, Pruitt is playing the game at Tennessee and it's working, Taggart is picking up the pieces Jimbo left with alacrity; and Jimbo himself will still get A&M a good finish in the rankings on the backs of bags, bread, and the first-year coaching bump. That doesn't even take into account other usual suspects like Michigan, LSU, Notre Dame, and Miami who are recruiting well but not quite bonkers, or dark horses like Coach Boom at SCar or Cristobal at Oregon.

Our ceiling is dependent on the season. If we hit double-digit wins (with one or two of those over USC and OU), we can breach the top 5, but I don't know if we go much further than that unless we go on a bonanza of in-state flips, knowing that regular season success is usually more of a boon for the following cycle (although Herman has certainly set us up to make hay in 2019 if things go well on the field in September or October). More likely IMO (and this is a reflection of how I feel our season is going to go) we settle in at the 8-12 range (with the upper end of that more likely) with a very good average rating and some nice late-cycle evals that aren't necessarily highly rated.

• Like 5

Just thinking idly, now - there were so many amazing things about that 2018 cycle but perhaps the aspect that stands out is that a good number of people on this board (or on Shaggy, rather)  could have constructed a realistic ideal class in late March or early April, and it would have been very similar to the class we ended up signing by February 2018, and the latter was actually even better than we hoped for in a few respects. There's just so much more uncertainty about this cycle compared to the previous one, and even if better times lie ahead (and I sure as hell hope they do), I'm not sure things will fall into place quite as smoothly as they did last year.

Edited by Machinator

41 minutes ago, NorLa Horns said:

fuck this recruiting class. we are gonna blow this next season out. the guys that wait are gonna regret it. I think the staff is ok with taking project guys from here on out and hope a couple of big name guys come in before we are full. Confident that they can recruit over anybody who doesnt produce.

this will be an example to the guys from 2020 and beyond, that with Texas being back, you better get on early. or youll be left out. Blue Blood recruiting!!

I’ll have what he’s having.

Edited by Vertigo

58 minutes ago, George Clooney said:

@Machinator You know far more about this than me, so I'll ask you this: what is our realistic finish in the composite rankings? I tried tinkering with the calculator but I'm not sure who would fill out our class besides the ones who are locks or near-locks.

Somewhere in the 6-12 range 

1 hour ago, NorLa Horns said:

8B2V.gif

EJ after dark: Intel on Tongue, Higgins

— I changed my Crystal Ball on Makiya Tongue from Georgia to foggy today. Tongue released a Top 3 of Arizona State, Georgia and Texas yesterday, but I have reason to believe the latter two are at the top of that list. I do feel like Georgia still holds the overall edge for Tongue, but from everything I have been able to gather, Texas is making the harder push. According to sources, Jason Washington, last year’s Big 12 Recruiter of the Year, is getting more involved in this recruitment, which should give the Longhorns a boost. Sources also told me that Texas is pushing to get Tongue in for a visit in late July after the dead period and that he is likely to make his way to campus. UT is also doing a good job of recruiting those around Tongue, and I feel like the Longhorns can retake the lead ahead of his August decision.

— Four-star Austin Bowie wide receiver Elijah Higgins is getting ready to trim his list very soon as he prepares for an August decision, a source told our Mike Roach. Texas hosted Higgins for an unofficial visit last month, and the Longhorns are still heavily involved in his recruitment. But as it stands right now, we still feel like Florida and Stanford are at the top of his list. Texas has some time to make the local product reconsider, but it’s going to take a big push during the dead period as well as a late July visit to make serious movement here.

— Four-star Camden Fairview (Ark.) offensive lineman Stacey Wilkinsplans to release his top schools at some point in the next month. As we reported on Monday, Texas is still in good shape with Wilkins and will host him for an official visit in September, so we fully expect the Longhorns to survive the cut. With that said, Wilkins is still favoring Oklahoma at this time. He will make an official visit to Arkansas in July after the dead period, but we are told Texas is in a better spot that the Razorbacks right now. Again, OU is the team to beat. 

— We haven’t talked a lot about four-star 2020 Ferndale (WA) offensive lineman Geirean Hatchett, but Texas is a legitimate contender early on in his recruitment. Hatchett visited UT in the spring and has family in the Lone Star State. He is planning to make a return trip to Austin for a game this fall.

41 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Texas has some time to make the local product reconsider, but it’s going to take a big push during the dead period as well as a late July visit to make serious movement here. 

How do you make a big push during a dead period?

17 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Peyton Powell getting a lot of tOSU picks.

Also, Demetric Warren crystal balled Demariyon Houston to Texas which seems random.  Haven't heard him mentioned with Texas in a while.

Wow, wouldn't have thought that was the direction tOSU would go.

Houston seems like a good player, and he's buds with Marcus Major. I'm into it.