Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

2 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

Suchomel at OB had an update on him. He talked to Tongue, who said that he couldn't decide whether to come to our event on the 27th or Georgia's, so he flipped a coin and it landed on Georgia. Such said he was going to try to make it in for a visit after. He seemed to think UGA has the edge with an August decision date but he might bush it back a little. He said he felt that the two visits would be very big. If UGA says they'll take him, he'll probably go there. If they don't, the staff might be able to wrap it up on the 30th. But if LSU gets back in it late and pushes hard they're going to have a chance. 

That same article had Texas Tech leading for Jeff Carter. 

2 hours ago, Fud said:

That same article had Texas Tech leading for Jeff Carter. 

Have real doubts about TT being the favorite.   This may have been covered in the above mentioned article as I can't access it,  but TT is willing to let him play some offense which appeals to him.  

Friends with another kid TT is recruiting pretty hard.  Fwiw, says he will visit TT and LSU this summer and that his previous final four are no longer valid.

1 hour ago, pigmeat markham said:

Have real doubts about TT being the favorite.   This may have been covered in the above mentioned article as I can't access it,  but TT is willing to let him play some offense which appeals to him.  

Friends with another kid TT is recruiting pretty hard.  Fwiw, says he will visit TT and LSU this summer and that his previous final four are no longer valid.

It might seem unconventional, but I’d like to see Carter land at Tech or OU. He’s got a ton of potential, but potential doesn’t pay the rent. He’s a landmine on a roster with his off the field bullshit and attitude. 

3 hours ago, closetojumping said:

It might seem unconventional, but I’d like to see Carter land at Tech or OU. He’s got a ton of potential, but potential doesn’t pay the rent. He’s a landmine on a roster with his off the field bullshit and attitude. 

Hide yo kids. Hide yo wife. Hide yo Andre Jones....Robert Joseph starter kit.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, horn_of_the_morning said:

So was listening to OB podcast and apparently Ketch told stories about how he likes to watch.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

i liked the story he told a few months back about burning a house down. dude is a sociopath. the law might not be able to do anything about it now. but I bet the insurance company could sue his ass. smh

41 minutes ago, NorLa Horns said:

i liked the story he told a few months back about burning a house down. dude is a sociopath. the law might not be able to do anything about it now. but I bet the insurance company could sue his ass. smh

I like when that fat douche shuts the fuck up. 

Which is almost never. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Katfid54 said:

Shows what you know. That guy is starting to get into the process of deciding whether or not to attempt to get engaged to his girlfriend. 

When does he begin the process of deciding to start covering A&M instead of Texas?  I think we can take up a collection and help fund his new business if he would leave our school out of this. 

5 hours ago, Newy25 said:

When does he begin the process of deciding to start covering A&M instead of Texas?  I think we can take up a collection and help fund his new business if he would leave our school out of this. 

Is this the Texas thread or Aggie thread?

• Fuck You 11

(E.J. Holland) Weekend recruiting notes: New Crystal Ball pick in for Texas

— I put in a new Crystal Ball pick for the Longhorns to land elite 2020 defensive back Bryson Washington, who spent the spring in California. Washington is back in the Lone Star State and is set to play his junior year in the Houston-area, which should help Texas here. Washington has always been extremely high on UT, and he will be on campus for an unofficial visit next weekend. I think Texas has the early edge. By the way, Washington is close to Zach Evans, and I wouldn’t be surprised if they play with each other at the next level.

— The recruitment of four-star Wekiva (Fla.) linebacker Rian Davis is not over yet. While Georgia remains his leader, the Longhorns have been throwing everything at Davis, and it wouldn’t be surprising to see him slow down the process. Remember, Davis is tentatively set to make a decision before the start of his senior season. Davis really enjoyed his official visit to Texas over the summer, and I believe the Longhorns have made up some ground during the dead period. Texas commit De’Gabriel Floyd is an X-factor here as the two have formed a strong bond.

— Four-star 2020 Fort Bend Austin quarterback Malik Hornsby is looking to make an unofficial visit to Texas next weekend, but it’s not set in stone at this time. I recently changed my Crystal Ball pick to foggy for Hornsby as this recruitment should be a very wild ride for a number of reasons. Despite having Hudson Card already onboard, Texas remains a major player. But I don’t have any confidence on where he lands at this point in the process.

— Five-star 2020 Houston North Forest wide receiver Demond Demas told me that he is a maybe to make an unofficial visit next weekend. Texas is in the top group for Demas early on, and last month’s visit really made a lasting impression on him. If Texas can reel in his teammate and good friend, Javonne Shepherd, whose visit plans seem to always change, the Longhorns will be in a great position to lure in Demas as well.

Just now, BigHorn'13 said:

Is Tongue and Davis being recruited at the same position on defense? What does UGA's LB board look like? Is it a take one but not the other situation for them?

Tongue is being recruited as an ATH/WR who will get a chance to start his career on offense.

Davis is likely a Mac/B-backer for us, whereas Tongue could be a Rover (but a lot more projection is involved, there).

Davis is a take for Georgia; Tongue might not be.

• Like 2

Had some fun with the class calculator, with a class size of 26.  Added Cine, Davis, Wright, Johnson, Washington, Catalon, Henry, Tongue, Shepherd, Cooper, Gbenda, Carter, and Hollins to the current commits for a score of 291.73.  I still think that this year will be the down year compared to last year and next year, but that would be an awesome finish...even if it is low on interior OL and DT's. 

32 minutes ago, PNWhornsfan said:

Had some fun with the class calculator, with a class size of 26.  Added Cine, Davis, Wright, Johnson, Washington, Catalon, Henry, Tongue, Shepherd, Cooper, Gbenda, Carter, and Hollins to the current commits for a score of 291.73.  I still think that this year will be the down year compared to last year and next year, but that would be an awesome finish...even if it is low on interior OL and DT's. 

That would be good for a top 5 finish 

5 hours ago, PNWhornsfan said:

Are we recruiting Mike Hollins? I don't think so. And Carter won't be going to Texas unless we are talking Taurean. Hopefully, we can land bigger targets in Leal and/or Tuitele. Johnson would be nice but isn't very likely. Jacoby Jones would be a possibility over Carter. Deng is a possibility as well. I guess Gbenda is likely but I would hope if we got Davis and Cooper and Tongue that we would pass on Gbenda. Good to leave McCoy off the list at linebacker as he is unlikely and it would be Tufono or Cooper so using Cooper in the calculator seems fine. At DB Noa Pola Gates is possible also. And just looking at our roster and the recruits considering us, I think we will have to pick up a few lower ranked OL to finish the class.

39 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Are we recruiting Mike Hollins? I don't think so. And Carter won't be going to Texas unless we are talking Taurean. Hopefully, we can land bigger targets in Leal and/or Tuitele. Johnson would be nice but isn't very likely. Jacoby Jones would be a possibility over Carter. Deng is a possibility as well. I guess Gbenda is likely but I would hope if we got Davis and Cooper and Tongue that we would pass on Gbenda. Good to leave McCoy off the list at linebacker as he is unlikely and it would be Tufono or Cooper so using Cooper in the calculator seems fine. At DB Noa Pola Gates is possible also. And just looking at our roster and the recruits considering us, I think we will have to pick up a few lower ranked OL to finish the class.

I am a little confused by your sentence about Taurean. I think his class calculator prediction is Taurean and nothing to do with Jeffrey.

21 minutes ago, rvm96 said:

I am a little confused by your sentence about Taurean. I think his class calculator prediction is Taurean and nothing to do with Jeffrey.

At first I thought he was talking about J. Carter. That isn't going to happen. Then, I realized he was talking about Taurean. With Taurean, I kind of hope that he is a backup plan. But, with our DL recruiting we should probably take what we can get.

9 hours ago, PNWhornsfan said:

No rb? Cain, Glass, etc

3 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Why are we writing Cain off, again? Because we need to rub our pussies in fear over Baron von Edgar de Toqueville Orgeron? Fuck. Some of you guys get way ahead of yourselves in your sarvanaashery. I’m not saying we get Cain, but I do expect to get a TB we want, without question.

Do you wake up like this? Don’t get me wrong, I think it’s hilarious, but I have this picture in my head of you and @Randolph Dukegoing home every night to the same facility into some sort of test tube for maintenance and refueling.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

Do you wake up like this? Don’t get me wrong, I think it’s hilarious, but I have this picture in my head of you and @Randolph Dukegoing home every night to the same facility into some sort of test tube for maintenance and refueling.

The night janitor in that facility?  Mr. Phlegm. 

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Why are we writing Cain off, again? Because we need to rub our pussies in fear over Baron von Edgar de Toqueville Orgeron? Fuck. Some of you guys get way ahead of yourselves in your sarvanaashery. I’m not saying we get Cain, but I do expect to get a TB we want, without question.

Hope you're right. Otherwise I'm definitely starting the narrative that Drayton is a worse recruiter than Giles and worse position coach than Mehringer. 

Edited by Katfid54

Unpopular opinion incoming. 

Drayton has underwhelmed me thus far. Originally when hired, he was hailed as a rainmaker on the trail and an excellent coach. He closed Ingram fairly easily(pretty sure Carter fell in our laps from uga) so I give him props for that but I was under the impression he would be after the big fish and so far,  haven't seen it. I'll give the benefit of the doubt for his RBs last season as our swiss cheese of a line limited a lot of things (as well as the talent in the RB room) so we'll see about that in a little over a month. He could turn out to be the badass motherfucker everyone thought but we just haven't seen it yet. 

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

15 minutes ago, BigHorn'13 said:

Unpopular opinion incoming. 

Drayton has underwhelmed me thus far. Originally when hired, he was hailed as a rainmaker on the trail and an excellent coach. He closed Ingram fairly easily(pretty sure Carter fell in our laps from uga) so I give him props for that but I was under the impression he would be after the big fish and so far,  haven't seen it. I'll give the benefit of the doubt for his RBs last season as our swiss cheese of a line limited a lot of things (as well as the talent in the RB room) so we'll see about that in a little over a month. He could turn out to be the badass motherfucker everyone thought but we just haven't seen it yet. 

You can stop worrying if he lands Zach Evans.

Drayton gets an "incomplete" from me, coaching-wise.

He's done his job on the trail so far, even if he hasn't necessarily soared past expectations like Naivar or Washington have. He landed Ingram, Tre Watson, and if I recall correctly his Missouri roots have helped us gain a foothold there. Now, if we win 9+ this year and we're still not able to land a big fish at RB, then maybe there's some concern warranted, but his recruiting is far, far down on my list of criticisms right now.

Edited by Machinator
  • Like 5

3 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Drayton gets an "incomplete" from me, coaching-wise.

He's done his job on the trail so far, even if he hasn't necessarily soared past expectations like Naivar or Washington have. He landed Ingram, Tre Watson, and if I recall correctly his Missouri roots have helped us gain a foothold there. Now, if we win 9+ this year and we're still not able to land a big fish at RB, then maybe there's some concern warranted, but his recruiting is far, far down on my list of concerns right now.

This is where I am as well.

• Like 1

We don't have enough information to judge Drayton yet. However, last year was far, far, away from his usual standard. But he didn't have a good oline, a good passing game, or even a healthy stable of backs to work with. He's made elite running backs almost everywhere he's gone so it could only be a matter of time.