Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

5 hours ago, rvm96 said:

I might be crazy but didn't Eagles, Jalen Green, Jamison, Casey Thompson, and Joshua Moore play for Simon's team?

Yeah he owns FAST but there seems to be a difference between just playing 7v7 on his team and actually having him as a 1-on-1 skills trainer, especially now that he's franchised the team out to Dallas and New Orleans.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Goodman said:

I really wanted Leal but he's an ag fan. I do like what this staff is doing in identifying DL players with a certain mold. I think they want at least 2 of the 3 DL to be in the TQ/Moro/Bimage/Sweat/MikeW type mold. 6'2-6'3 athletes weighing around 275.

Sweat is a good player for our scheme at the spot Omenihu/TQ/Bimage plays (4i).  People forget he was one of the our earliest offers so the staff definately saw something.  He's also bigger than the 6'3 249 lbs. listed on his 247 profile which was his size in the spring of his sophomore year.  

Maybe Mpagi plays this spot eventually if he adds weight?

Leal would have been perfect for this defense at 4i.  I also think the JUCO guy we offered that's committed to OUsucks could have come in and been a good fit.

I'm hoping for 2020 we can land Broughton (stud 4i IMO), Collins, Dorbah, and maybe Sylvester??  I have no idea what the plan is for a DT/NG.

I think we just need to accept the fact even if we play in and win the Big 12 Championship game these ag commits still wont give us a look.  2020/2021 guys are a different story.

Edited by Elmer_Fudd

27 minutes ago, Not a Sock said:

So I am going to rub some sand in my pussy right now and say if the aggy bagmen continue it's gonna be a problem that Texas is going to have to address.

Yes, you should rub sand on your puss and yes aggy bagmen are a problem. Further, aggy cheating helps Georgia cheating and Alabama cheating in Texas. Once the doors are open, they are wide open.

This. CTJ spelled it out very nicely in his post. As much as I would LOVE for Wright to be a Longhorn (and I really would - he's an amazing player), I think we have to let him go based on the way this whole thing went down. The recruiting and commitment process just doesn't happen like that without plenty of improper shit. See also: Leal, Demarvion; Demas, Demond; and Hornsby, Malik (among others).
Unfortunately, it also wouldn't surprise me one bit if Zach Evans winds up on that list based on some of the stuff going around about him. The quote about Oklahoma's defense right after the Horns beat the conference's best defense into submission also makes me kind of think that he's looking for an excuse not to come here. Fortunately, it's only a matter of time before aggy trips up and gets caught or one of their conference "brethren" turn them in because no one likes them and also fuck aggy
Their conference brethren won't say a word as long as aggy continues languishing mid pack in their division, but aggy might might to squeeze their nuts a bit tighter if they start having success or begin yanking big dog recruits away from Bama, Auburn, Georgia, LSU etc..
  • Like 1

Don’t be that guy.  Not every aggy recruiting win is dirty.
No, some kids are born smelling of sheep and wouldn't think of going anywhere else, then there are recruits with no pre-concieved preference that could have their pick of any P5 program in the country yet mysteriously shut it down after visiting aggy... some even if they haven't visited other schools else yet. It doesn't take a math magician to see that doesn't add up..

4 minutes ago, ousux said:

Their conference brethren won't say a word as long as aggy continues languishing mid pack in their division, but aggy might might to squeeze their nuts a bit tighter if they start having success or begin yanking big dog recruits away from Bama, Auburn, Georgia, LSU etc.. 

aggy hasn't hit the Freeze Line yet of actually contending for titles and kicking Bama in the dick. Once they get there it's over.

Oh, and I totally forgot about the whole Adidas/Ro Simon thing. Unfortunately, we might as well just accept that 7-on-7 is the football version of AAU (has been for a while now) and act accordingly. It was very telling that one of Simon's first comments after the Jimbo hire was about what a great job Jimbo did reaching out to the 7-on-7 community and that he'd done much better than Herman. Or something to that effect.
Jimbos first official act as aggy coach was to pay a visit to Simon. I'm pretty sure that speaks for itself. Yes, Herman has rubbed shoulders with 7v7 guys as well, but that was when they brought recruits to campus, he didn't make a special trip to Houston afaik..

TFB Open Post: https://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2018/09/open-post-weekend-september-28th-30th/

Winning Helping Texas | Elijah Higgins Update + Insider Take
– Super K

Recently, I spoke with 2019 WR, Elijah Higgins, to get an update on where things stand with his recruitment and where things stand with Texas.

For a period of time, it seemed Texas had fallen off but Elijah explained that “A lot of people thought Texas was out of it because I took a lot of visits to other schools but I also took visits to Texas that I kept quiet. I didn’t really make it public but those were visits where I spent a lot of quality time with the Texas coaches. They’ve been consistent throughout the process”.

Having said that, Texas’ recent on the field success has certainly made an impact, “The wins against USC and TCU definitely helped Texas. They’re definitely moving up”.

Higgins got to see Texas in-person for the USC game. Next up for him is an official visit to Florida during the first weekend of October which happens to coincide with the Red River game.

A school that’s been attached to Elijah’s name quite a bit is Stanford. Higgins was in California earlier this season to see Stanford play USC. He’s been to Stanford on multiple occasions. Higgins says he has his Stanford admissions materials completed and will be sending those off soon. After that he says, it’s a two or three week waiting period to find out whether he is accepted.

Higgins says that he plans on signing in December but doesn’t have a decision date set, “December signing unless something happens and I can’t make a decision by then”.

If Texas continues to win, look for them to in the thick of it when that decision does come.

Marcus Washington has a Commitment Date
– Super K

The father of 2019 WR, Marcus Washington tells us that Marcus will announce his commitment on November 23rd.

November 23rd is Marcus’ mother’s birthday.

I spoke with Marcus father at length yesterday and Texas is very much in this one. The family appears to have a great relationship with Bryan Carrington.

Now, they’d just like to continue building a similar relationship with coach Herman and coach Mehringer.

Appears to be a three horse race between Ohio State, Missouri, and Texas.

I like Texas chances right now. I sense they have a slight lead but the family has a good relationship with Urban and Barry Odom. So, it’s too early to make a definitive prediction.

But I wouldn’t have imagined Texas would be in this position a few months ago. So, this is good…

8 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

I seem to remember MSU having more to do with outing them. 

Yeah... I haven't watched this yet, but it was highly recommended to me. It goes through the entire Ole Miss mess and how MSU turned them in. It's supposed to be pretty awesome. There are multiple episodes. This might ought to be on a separate thread but what the hell.

Edited by Mitch Cumsteen
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, texifornia said:

aggy hasn't hit the Freeze Line yet of actually contending for titles and kicking Bama in the dick. Once they get there it's over.

On the plus side, I don't see aggy ever reaching that standard. They couldn't even get there during the FedEx years. Fucking up is just in their DNA.

Plus, I would hope that, even if the traditional SEC SEC SEC powers aren't going to drop a dime on them, we will - hopefully along with some of the other schools in the general area.

On the plus side, I don't see aggy ever reaching that standard. They couldn't even get there during the FedEx years. Fucking up is just in their DNA.

Plus, I would hope that, even if the traditional SEC SEC SEC powers aren't going to drop a dime on them, we will - hopefully along with some of the other schools in the general area.

I'd much rather stay completely out of it, their conference bros will do it if needed..

However we could speed things up by locking down the best Texas has to offer, thereby forcing them to dip into SEC territory for top recruits..

1 hour ago, texifornia said:

Well I don’t want them getting there at all. 

Their sherrill years propped them up even though they only have swc trophies to show for it, and their “series is even since ‘72” or whatever really grinds my gears. Don’t need them having a similar run again. 

I’m hoping somehow their recruiting guys get turned in as rogue boosters, which leads to revelations that the program itself is dirty. 

11 hours ago, campcrunk said:

I also had a quick question, if anyone knows. I've heard a lot of mixed things about Footwork King. Some people say that he's as bad/slimy as Ro while others say that he's on the level and really, genuinely cares about the kids he works with.

Any insight on that whole thing would be greatly appreciated - because like it or not, we're going to have to recruit kids he trains almost every year too.

Whitfield (FWK) is a trainer and a good one. He makes his living training kids, not only for football but several other sports. 

Ro is an Adidas employee and that is how he makes a living. He is much more recruiter than trainer or coach, by comparison. The bigger issue goes beyond the UncRo problem to the other "coaches" and trainers that are tangentially part of the entire deal. Specifically there are a couple of guys that are known agents that are "coaches", one is originally from La. and if you poke around a little you can figure it out. 

2 hours ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Who are Ro Simon guys for 2020 other than McGlothern?

It's hard to know until the 2020 kids start taking OVs  and you find out who is running the show in a recruitment and how involved or uninvolved the family is. 

McGlothern and Xavion Alford for sure. You can see how it played out with the 2019 kids once Junior Days and OVs started happening and multiple schools backed off certain kids or kids made commitments out of left field. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, campcrunk said:

Part of the problem for them is that they can never shut their fucking mouths. They haven't won anything of substance in the last 8 decades, yet they talk like they're the 2017 Philadelphia Eagles. They will brag about cheating because they're retards. 

You know the old saying "act like you've been their before?" They can't because they haven't. And their great great grandpappies who have been there before are all moldering in the grave.

Edited by Tex Pete
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, campcrunk said:

2ik8qpv.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, golfclap said:

Whitfield (FWK) is a trainer and a good one. He makes his living training kids, not only for football but several other sports. 

Ro is an Adidas employee and that is how he makes a living. He is much more recruiter than trainer or coach, by comparison. The bigger issue goes beyond the UncRo problem to the other "coaches" and trainers that are tangentially part of the entire deal. Specifically there are a couple of guys that are known agents that are "coaches", one is originally from La. and if you poke around a little you can figure it out.  

Much obliged - that's kind of what I was hoping re: Whitfield. And, unfortunately, Ro sounds like he's pretty much exactly what I though he was.

1 hour ago, golfclap said:

It's hard to know until the 2020 kids start taking OVs  and you find out who is running the show in a recruitment and how involved or uninvolved the family is. 

McGlothern and Xavion Alford for sure. You can see how it played out with the 2019 kids once Junior Days and OVs started happening and multiple schools backed off certain kids or kids made commitments out of left field. 

I was just curious if the 2 Duncanville studs in 2020 train with Ro.

10 minutes ago, Tree Fidy said:

Fuck it! Don’t know how to embed gifs, pics, or anything else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

giphy.gif

There yah go Tree Fidy... pull picture to top on giphy.com, then copy link that shows on GIF LINK, then paste here.  Wait a couple seconds for gif picture to appear..... before you hit submit

Edited by LTtxfan

4 hours ago, texifornia said:

Ole Miss was ranked as high as #2 (before Laquon Treadwell's ankle blew up on the 1 against Auburn) and won a Sugar Bowl. They were a huge pain in the ass for the traditional SEC powers.

I was at that game, great experience.  Brought my kids and let them trick or treat on the square that year.  The grove is a great time especially if you are with Ole Miss folks  who know/have a spot to party like we did.

6 minutes ago, Tony Two K said:

I would contribute to a fund to compensate any recruit that would openly rat out a dirty university/coach in this fashion.

Me too but since the kid's word would therefore be shot it would have to be concrete evidence, and the kid would have to not be a racist dumb enough to post commentary on Hudl.

Edited by ClubWhatever

2 hours ago, Leanderman said:

Just once, I would love to hear some young man have the courage to say "They tried to bribe me to attend, and will testify to that fact".

The Tunstil video linked above by @Mitch Cumsteen is part 1 of a 4 part series. The later episodes get into the story of Leo Lewis, who is currently at Miss State, and testified to the NCAA that Ole Miss offered him $10k and gave him other impermissible benefits. The Ole Miss bagman sued him for slander...of course, he has no proof because it's all done in cash. I believe the law suit is still proceeding. While he's a student he has no money to hire attorneys, and the plaintiff is suing for a portion of his future earnings. Also, Miss State offered him $11k, which he testified to...but because the NCAA wanted badly to bring down Ole Miss, they apparently agreed to overlook the Miss State transgressions. A moral of the story seems to be, recruits are better off if they just shut their mouths. Here's the link to part 2 of 4.  

Edited by Chopper

1 hour ago, Chopper said:

The Tunstil video linked above by @Mitch Cumsteen is part 1 of a 4 part series. The later episodes get into the story of Leo Lewis, who is currently at Miss State, and testified to the NCAA that Ole Miss offered him $10k and gave him other impermissible benefits. The Ole Miss bagman sued him for slander...of course, he has no proof because it's all done in cash. I believe the law suit is still proceeding. While he's a student he has no money to hire attorneys, and the plaintiff is suing for a portion of his future earnings. Also, Miss State offered him $11k, which he testified to...but because the NCAA wanted badly to bring down Ole Miss, they apparently agreed to overlook the Miss State transgressions. A moral of the story seems to be, recruits are better off if they just shut their mouths. Here's the link to part 2 of 4.  

Was just about to post this. Nothing good happens when a player talks and honestly, MSU should've done more to protect Lewis. There's plenty of rabid fans out there who should be taking it upon themselves instead of relying on teenagers to do the work and put themselves and their potential career in jeopardy. 

19 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

Marchiol just did something similar on the way out and the NCAA didn't even roll out of bed. 

Yup.  The NCAA would never get off their ass to do anything about this - it's a victimless crime to them.  They don't want the scandal & negative press.  They want ratings and people arguing every year about playoff spots.

44 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Make it legal so everyone can see who spends like the dodgers and who spends like the rays. A run like bama’s might not look so impressive if they had been spending twice as much as the next team on roster. 

I agree with this line of thinking but it has a flaw: The players are no longer amateurs and paying players has no place in universities. Players need to be in a minor league. Then allow these minor league teams to keep the school names and mascots and give the schools a cut of the proceeds and the ability to force teams to abide by a code of conduct.

Horns247 Recruiting Mailbag: Can Texas land another elite DB

After the Tyler Owens commitment and following six top recruits in 2018, is Texas done at DB for 2019? — TBtheGreat

EJ: Nope. Texas has two big fish left in the water in four-star safeties Lewis Cine and Jalen Catalon. The Longhorns would love to take both if they could, but they are in a real dogfight for Cine — literally. Texas made a big impression on Cine this past weekend, but Georgia is considered the favorite and will host him for an official visit this weekend. I feel like Georgia will close there. Texas has long been considered the frontrunner for Catalon, but Oklahoma is now pushing and both Arkansas and TCU are still heavily involved.

Mike: Numbers at positions will always come into consideration, but I don’t think you’ll see this staff pass on talented athletes if they can get them. Texas is still very much pursuing Lewis Cine and Jalen Catalon, and they’d absolutely take them both.

Between Texas, Georgia, Michigan, and Penn State how do you think they rank in Lewis Cine’s recruitment? — hjblair

EJ: Like I said above, Georgia is the favorite and my pick to land him. Next up is Texas. I feel like the Longhorns have cemented themselves as the clear second team in this recruitment. Penn State was his favorite for a while, but the Nittany Lions have slipped. They remain a wildcard in the third spot. He still has some family up north, so Penn State could reemerge, as he gets closer to his decision. Michigan is on the outside looking in.

Mike: Georgia feels like the favorite, and Penn State feels like a school that isn’t going to go quietly. I think Michigan is probably out of the picture after landing Dax Hill. Texas appears to be running second to Georgia at this time.

How are all the wide receiver recruits feeling after seeing Texas throw the ball deep a lot and also being able to see two receivers both eat in LJ Humphrey and Collin Johnson? — TreStein_

EJ: Offensive progress is definitely something recruits were looking for this season. I think the unit really impressed four-star wide receiver Marcus Washington. Production from the position is one of the reasons Texas is now trending in that recruitment. I also think it has helped a lot with Elijah Higgins. He made it clear before the season that he wanted to see Texas improve throwing the ball down the field, and the Longhorns have done just that.

Mike: The wide receiver group were all pretty early commits, and the success in the passing game is helping with offensive recruiting overall. EJ mentioned the impact on Marcus Washington and Elijah Higgins, and if Texas is going to win those recruitments, they can both be considered victories based on the way the offense progressed.

In the article about recruits reaction to our win over TCU, Zach Evans made a comment about wanting to see how we do against OU’s defense. It raised questions among the readers as to where we were at in his recruitment. So have we slipped? If so, does it have to do with us potentially signing Trey Sanders? — professorbiggs

EJ: I think people read way too much into that comment and need to take a chill pill. Evans had a death in the family the week of the USC game and was at a funeral that weekend. He will likely be back on campus for a game in October. Oklahoma is the best team in the Big 12 right now, and Evans will be at the Red River Showdown in Dallas, so I don’t think he meant anything negative by it. He just wants to see if Texas is for real against the best in the conference. In terms of Sanders, I don’t think one will affect the other.

Mike: Kids have been wanting to see more from Texas for nearly a decade, so it isn’t a surprise they aren’t going to raise the mission accomplished banner after two weeks. Zach Evans visited multiple times throughout the spring, and the Texas staff has a very good relationship with him and his brother. I think the comment had more to do about not folding on a big stage.

Say we lose Javonne Shepherd, what are some possible replacement names to look out for? — bryanthoang

EJ: We’ve continued to mention Argyle’s Preston Wilson as a prospect the staff is taking a closer look at. They will continue to explore the junior college route as well. Even with Shepherd onboard, the Longhorns would like to add another offensive lineman to the field. TCU commit Andrew Coker has expressed some interest, and we mentioned Waxahachie’s LaDarius Henderson as a name to know this week. With Shepherd back on his high school team, things are looking better there.

Mike: Wilson is my guy to watch there, and Texas has been working on Andrew Coker behind the scenes for quite some time. Henderson is an interesting new name. I think he has some really good tools, but he appears to be a drop-off talent-wise from the upper tier guys.

Any sense of DeMarvin Leal’s reaction to Texas’ last two games? — Whiskeytown

EJ: The wins have definitely caught his attention. Like we reported earlier this week, the Texas staff is still working on him and his mother. Both Oscar Giles and Jason Washington were at his game last Friday and keep in touch with him. If Texas keeps winning games, I wouldn’t be surprised if he makes a covert visit to Austin, especially since his mother still loves the program.

Mike: If you’re a defensive prospect, I’m not sure how you couldn’t love the way Todd Orlando’s defense plays. It is a cutting edge attack being described as an elite unit by people around the country. I don’t personally believe the Longhorns can flip him, but they are doing everything they can.

Have we given up on Lakia Henry? Do you think we will get an OV? — Rocko77

EJ: Texas has remained in contact with Henry and would love to add a junior college linebacker to the fold. Right now, Caleb Johnson seems like the more likely addition. But Henry hasn’t ruled out making an OV to Texas. If the Tennessee commit does decide to check out other programs, I would expect Texas to get a visit.

Mike: Henry has always talked about his interest, but I’m not sure he’s showed a ton. Texas would absolutely love to have him on a visit, but I think at this point it will take a proactive action from Henry in order for things to pick up there.

Is Texas still evaluating Steven Parker? I saw he had six sacks Friday! That is one thing this defense still lacks — an elite pass rusher. — longhornlal

EJ: They are still keeping tabs on him, but there hasn’t been much movement on that front. Parker was the first commit in Texas Tech’s class and is extremely solid to the Red Raiders. He is originally from West Texas and grew up a Tech fan. Former South Oak Cliff coach Emmett Jones is also on staff at Tech, which helps. I loved Parker from the first day I saw him and think he’ll be a monster at the next level.

Mike: I think if they wanted any shot at him, they would have offered him early. He’s a fantastic prospect who has some high ceiling ability from the edge, but he appears pretty locked in to the Red Raiders.

If Texas continues to have a successful season, is there any chance they get back into the race for Kayvon Thibodeaux? — raginglonghorn

EJ: I think that ship has sailed. Texas may be able to make waves with a few national prospects if they continue to win games on the field, but I don’t see Thibodeaux being one of those recruits. With an accelerated recruiting calendar, most guys like Thibodeaux have already narrowed their choices and are in the process of making official visits.

Mike: I’m not sure I would give Thibodeaux even a one percent chance of landing in Austin. He never showed much interest in Texas overall.

I don’t dislike Oscar Giles and think he will get better at recruiting as the on field evidence begins to speak for itself. But why have we not offered Barnard Wright? — ArmyTUBA1

EJ: It’s not all on Giles, man. Regardless of position, Tom Herman has to approve the offer. Just because Giles likes a defensive lineman doesn’t mean Texas will offer. Herman and Todd Orlando have to give the go ahead. In terms of Wright, the staff is fully aware of him, and Giles went down to Dallas Carter to see him. I feel like Texas should offer both Wright and James Sylvester, but the Longhorns make thorough evaluations and may not feel like they fit for whatever reason.

Mike: Tom Herman spoke at length about the recruiting process and the boxes they have to check off before offering a prospect. That’s the only answer I really have for non-offers, because Branard Wright is definitely talented enough. I don’t know of anything negative in his character by the way, but for whatever reason, they haven’t checked those boxes.