Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

No player has to sign an LOI, irrespective of enrollment period. Baylor attempted to game avoiding NCAA violations with Devin Duvernay by simply never sending him an LOI after seeing him perform more than is allowed. Hence when they “released” players from their LOI because of the Briles scandal, his name wasn’t on the list. Can’t release someone who never was officially caught in the first place. 

Regarding Steele, I’m going to guess very few schools will actually touch this guy if there’s anything to the allegations, whether Newy25 thinks they’re all pussies or not. Whatever the case, fuck that guy and I hope he blows wherever he goes. He’s a lying bitch. 

It is becoming clear to me I am a very small minority in my opinion. Like, a one person minority. Just like the time I thought my ex wife was not a lying, cheating whore. 

Perhaps I should listen to the majority on Steele. 

• Like 1

On 10/16/2018 at 8:37 AM, texifornia said:

Yeah he's the 16-year-old IT mentioned (after ctj said someone like him would be coming up imminently)

Everyone keeps pussyfooting around some character concerns for Brooks without giving any details.

What exactly are the rumors? 

Edited by Enchubben
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, UncleBuck said:

Closest school? It may be the closest thing to Odessa period

Roy Williams is active in the Odessa area and very pro Texas, bit the allure of going to the local school that throws it 70 times a game can be enticing.  Also, the Powell family is well known for some great athletes over the years.

57 minutes ago, lemonandaturd said:

So Steele allegedly took improper benefits from USC recruiting "journalists".   Hamm and his ilk are bagmen with money, comped videos, and payoffs to trainers to increase their web traffic and to steer recruits.  NCAA sucks hind teat.   

Was listening to Dan Patrick show this morning while driving to Dallas and he was saying in basketball the method of payment is an offshore account and recruits get a debit card.  

Anyone know if that's common in football?  

13 minutes ago, Laga4 said:

Was listening to Dan Patrick show this morning while driving to Dallas and he was saying in basketball the method of payment is an offshore account and recruits get a debit card.  

Anyone know if that's common in football?  

Heard something similar back in the day with Cam Newton and SEC prospects--debit card payments.   

Edited by Mdhorn

43 minutes ago, BruceVonClaude said:

Roy Williams is active in the Odessa area and very pro Texas, bit the allure of going to the local school that throws it 70 times a game can be enticing.  Also, the Powell family is well known for some great athletes over the years.

Additionally, Powell's football footballing roots are in Midland, a place with an incredible amount of Tech Influence.  Opening day NFL rosters had more TT WRs than any school in the country.  That means a lot to some kids.

3 minutes ago, pigmeat markham said:

Additionally, Powell's football footballing roots are in Midland, a place with an incredible amount of Tech Influence.  Opening day NFL rosters had more TT WRs than any school in the country.  That means a lot to some kids.

Tech has influence? News to me

Edited by Atticus

25 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

on the old board last year somebody posted that he was kicked off his team for drugs

I get that they’re different situations but we have a TE on our roster who had some very serious drug charges as a recruit (that were eventually dropped). All this bad charchter talk just seems like sour grapes unless there is something I don’t know.

22 minutes ago, Enchubben said:

I get that they’re different situations but we have a TE on our roster who had some very serious drug charges as a recruit (that were eventually dropped). All this bad charchter talk just seems like sour grapes unless there is something I don’t know.

having one is one thing, having several threatens a culture.  

31 minutes ago, Enchubben said:

That was from Herman's transition class there are lots of kids in that class that wouldn't be takes now.

2 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

The IT guys are pretty adamant this is not happening. It sounds like from everything people are repeating/reporting here, Brooks to Texas is not going to happen. 

Right, I was just pointing out that Brooks is knocking on the burnt orange and white door trying to get it to open.

45 minutes ago, Enchubben said:

That "bad character" take is a Neuroscience major and an all Big 12 Academic Honor Roll (or something).  I don't think he is your standard "bad character."  I am not condoning whatever he might have done in HS, but he might be a bad example.  

• Like 6

58 minutes ago, Enchubben said:

It's not sour grapes when we actually passed on him because of his dirt. This isn't fan fiction. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Machinator said:

The problem is that 247 and TFB are stoking the flames by leaving the possibility open (by omission) that we would take him. At least the IT mods have the sense to know we aren't going down that road.

Not always going to get it right, but ok to pass on a player if the Staff has character concerns about a recruit....

23 minutes ago, Fud said:

It's not sour grapes when we actually passed on him because of his dirt. This isn't fan fiction. 

I think the underrated part of Herman's recruiting so far is the mental evaluation aspect. 

It's only been a year and half but have we lost a single Herman recruit yet to attrition? Granted, Toneil Carter might be on the way out but we're still batting way above average so far with attrition. 

Herman's selective approach to recruiting has been effective so far. 

Edited by texasstrong12

1 minute ago, texasstrong12 said:

I think the underrated part of Herman's recruiting so far is the mental evaluation aspect. 

It's only been a year and half but have we lost a single Herman recruit yet to attrition? Granted, Toneil Carter might be on the way out but we're still batting way above average so far with attrition. 

Herman's selective approach to recruiting has been effective so far. 

Grandy, but that wasn't a mental eval problem.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Enchubben said:

Yeah man, assume there must be something you don’t know and shut the fuck up. You follow these boards and we’ve been pretty straight on it for a fucking year. That’s on you. 

• Like 7