Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

6 minutes ago, EZ$ said:

But yet, Herman has him on the sidelines during games. Something not adding up. 

I think Herman's being diplomatic and understands optics enough to know that you don't hold grudges and if former players in the NFL want to come be on the sidelines, you welcome them on down to the sideline.

Edited by irishtexan
  • Like 5

13 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

If this is all true, it's one of my favorite Herman tidbits so far.

Like I said, it's recruitnik dorkery. However: 

"If your enemy is secure at all points, be prepared for him. If he is in superior strength, evade him. If your opponent is temperamental, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant. If he is taking his ease, give him no rest. If his forces are united, separate them. If sovereign and subject are in accord, put division between them. Attack him where he is unprepared, appear where you are not expected."

• Like 2

Derrian Brown is wanting to model his game after Kamara. Yeah, I know, everyone WANTS that, but from looking up some videos and his frame, he seems like he could do it if he pan's out. Whether he turns into a pro version of Kamara for us is moot, but I bet he will be a beast. He's underrated, imo. Would love to have Sanders, but even if we miss on him, I'm stoked to have Brown. Kid is gonna be really good.

29 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I'm not a "trust the coaches" guy, pretty much ever. However, these guys have done an amazing job of evaluating talent, particularly in the form of a unified roster plan. It's clear they're not just looking at guys and "can they help us win a national title", but they're doing so in concert with the rest of the roster. That's really compelling shit. 

That considered, this is a recruiting board and I am who I am, so I have to say, I don't get the Coker interest. Beyond just not getting it, I feel like the premise that that dude could play guard in college is absurd. I don't think projecting OLs is as much a black art as some, and maybe that's hubris here, but the whole thing is bizarre. I'd view him as a miss from day one, and he'd be one of the only ones since Herman stepped on campus. I guess if they view him as an OT and feel like they need another, I get that at least.

you may be absolutely right about coker, but, if a kid is 6’8”  330# with some semblance of athleticism at 17 years old don’t you just take him if there’s room for him?  in three or four years who knows what you get from all that clay.  for someone with those measurables I think it’s worth the risk. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, futureman said:

you may be absolutely right about coker, but, if a kid is 6’8”  330# with some semblance of athleticism at 17 years old don’t you just take him if there’s room for him?  in three or four years who knows what you get from all that clay.  for someone with those measurables I think it’s worth the risk. 

Well, the question here is what constitutes good athleticism? Because Coker's athleticism doesn't seem to be that great. And to your point of a 17 year old, in 3-4 years you might end up with a 7'1" 370 lb boulder at guard. 

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

Well, the question here is what constitutes good athleticism? Because Coker's athleticism doesn't seem to be that great. And to your point of a 17 year old, in 3-4 years you might end up with a 7'1" 370 lb boulder at guard. 

admittedly I haven’t seen him play but I read (on surly, so it’s true) that he had quick feet for his size.  and then I see 6’8”  330 lbs and “broad wingspan” etc and yeah I’d see what happens with him.  orlando brown seemed to get by on little more than simply always being bigger than anyone across from him.  we’ve had success in austin with freakishly large OL in the past.

6 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I hear Hand likes to take guys who are too big to play tackle and spin them inside to play center. His ideal center is 7'5 and weighs 450 pounds. That's why Hand is always at hospitals recruiting. He has a bunch of connections with endocrinologists and they tip him off when they get patients with gigantism or pituitary gland disorders.  

• Like 5
  • Haha 4

13 minutes ago, futureman said:

you may be absolutely right about coker, but, if a kid is 6’8”  330# with some semblance of athleticism at 17 years old don’t you just take him if there’s room for him?  in three or four years who knows what you get from all that clay.

You get William Winston.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

If this is all true, it's one of my favorite Herman tidbits so far.

I believe it. Herman is just like Urban Meyer which would explain why they hate each other so much and Meyer pull this shit all the time whether its calling him out or getting a recruit to bash Texas. So I can totally see Herman going out of his way to drag his nuts on Patterson's face.

13 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

I literally got done reading Futureman's post and thought to myself, "I can't tell whether he's trolling or not.  I need to see a Hank Scorpio post, so I can better understand what a troll would say here."

Speak of the devil, and he shall appear.

Block user is your friend.

6 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

I have completely given up projecting and evaluating OL. I'm pretty sure watching Tray Allen's HS film and trying to reconcile it to his college career cured me of that fool's errand for good.

Look at the 4 and 5 star busts we stockpiled for years with disastrous results, only to finally field a competent line for the first time in a decade comprised of: a 2 star LT transfer from fucking Rice, a 3 star C who we snatched last minute from Kansas State (other offers: Army, ASU and Cincinatti), a 3 star G who was a Wickline special who's best offer was Colorado (other offers: Arkansas State, Arizona State and Fresno State), another 3 star T who looks like a future all conference player and was a late addition to Herman's transition class (offered by Memphis, Houston and TCU), and Patrick Vahe (the only 4 star of the bunch and arguably its weakest link). And the next best player we have on the Oline is Kerstetter, another 3 star who Herman pulled from Okie State with competing offers from juggernauts Bowling Green, Colorado State and Houston.

In the meantime, here are the 4 and 5 star OL we recruited between 2007 and 2016. This list is more stomach turning than Vic's POF thread:

Tray Allen (5*)

Michael Huey (4*)

Kyle Hix (4*)

Aundre McGaskey (4*)

David Snow (4*)

Mark Buchanan (4*)

Mason Walters (5*)

Thomas Ashcraft (4*)

Paden Kelly (4*)

Garrett Porter (4*) 

Trey Hopkins (4*)

Dominic Espinosa (4*)

Sedrick Flowers (4*)

Garrett Greenlea (4*)

Josh Cochran (4*)

Curtis Riser (4*)

Camrhon Hughes (4*)

Donald Hawkins (4*) Juco

Darius James (4*) 

Jake Raulerson (4*)

Rami Hammad (4*)

Patrick Vahe (4*)

Pat Hudson (4*)

Jean Delance (4*)

JP Uriquidez (4*)

Denzel Okafor (4*)

I'd rep you for the solid gathering of information, but I'd rather forget I saw this post, so I'll leave you with a solemn head shake instead.

41 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Or the greatest kick blocker of all time!

46 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Are you sure this isn’t the story of Cameron Ridley? Except he moved to center, not guard.

8 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

It's not like I nailed all of the targets back then either (I really wanted Texas to pursue Garrett Greenlea, who they initially slow-played, holla), but I was pretty clear in railing against the majority of those signees when Brown's crew was going after them. It was met with vehement anger and disdain from board denizens at Shaggy, including RubySoho, cdt23, jtk34543343, and a flotilla of others who spend time on Surly but not really so much on the recruiting board. The premise that Mack Brown and crew were fucking lazy and damaging us daily in recruiting, particularly on the OL front, was anathema to them. Then 2010 happened and suddenly, "no one really knows how OLs will turn out at the next level, it's all black magic" replaced "Trust Mack, Greg and Mac". I wasn't alone arguing otherwise on all of that, but there wasn't a large chorus. 

Projecting OLs might be tough, but feet, hips, and measurables like wingspan will eliminate a lot of the charlatans who are followed just because they were big and tall early on in their HS careers. Every year there are a few Tyler Johnsons and Kenyon Greens, but there's also a ton of others who show up late and smart schools grab them. Add in looking for mean streaks, and you've got a recipe for finding plenty of darts that will stick near the target. That's also why I don't get Coker. He's too big to be anything but OT, yet he's not athletic or mean enough to be exciting as an OT prospect. But, hey, trust the Hand and such. I know at least this staff, and Hand in particular, are working their fucking asses off when it comes to finding guys and reeling them in. 

I'm not so cynical to believe that ALL recruits got a bump if they committed to Texas from 2005-2015. But I do wholeheartedly believe that a great deal of that list was awarded 4*s only because they committed to Texas. It's the one unit where we fucking SUCKED at both evaluations and talent development for the better part of a decade, and no one could figure out why because we signed all these 4 and 5 stars. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

It's not like I nailed all of the targets back then either (I really wanted Texas to pursue Garrett Greenlea, who they initially slow-played, holla), but I was pretty clear in railing against the majority of those signees when Brown's crew was going after them. It was met with vehement anger and disdain from board denizens at Shaggy, including RubySoho, cdt23, jtk34543343, and a flotilla of others who spend time on Surly but not really so much on the recruiting board. The premise that Mack Brown and crew were fucking lazy and damaging us daily in recruiting, particularly on the OL front, was anathema to them. Then 2010 happened and suddenly, "no one really knows how OLs will turn out at the next level, it's all black magic" replaced "Trust Mack, Greg and Mac". I wasn't alone arguing otherwise on all of that, but there wasn't a large chorus. 

Projecting OLs might be tough, but feet, hips, and measurables like wingspan will eliminate a lot of the charlatans who are followed just because they were big and tall early on in their HS careers. Every year there are a few Tyler Johnsons and Kenyon Greens, but there's also a ton of others who show up late and smart schools grab them. Add in looking for mean streaks, and you've got a recipe for finding plenty of darts that will stick near the target. That's also why I don't get Coker. He's too big to be anything but OT, yet he's not athletic or mean enough to be exciting as an OT prospect. But, hey, trust the Hand and such. I know at least this staff, and Hand in particular, are working their fucking asses off when it comes to finding guys and reeling them in. 

Scipio said the other day that he wants to grow offensive linemen.  That makes sense to me and we seem to be headed that way. 

I think they are looking at Coker because of his height only. Ohio State is running 6’7” and 6’6” tackles and Herman might be thinking he needs more size to get over the hump with Alabama, OSU, Georgia, Clemson, etc. He may be betting on improving his technique and mobility thru development.

1 hour ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

I have completely given up projecting and evaluating OL. I'm pretty sure watching Tray Allen's HS film and trying to reconcile it to his college career cured me of that fool's errand for good.

Look at the 4 and 5 star busts we stockpiled for years with disastrous results, only to finally field a competent line for the first time in a decade comprised of: a 2 star LT transfer from fucking Rice, a 3 star C who we snatched last minute from Kansas State (other offers: Army, ASU and Cincinatti), a 3 star G who was a Wickline special who's best offer was Colorado (other offers: Arkansas State, Arizona State and Fresno State), another 3 star T who looks like a future all conference player and was a late addition to Herman's transition class (offered by Memphis, Houston and TCU), and Patrick Vahe (the only 4 star of the bunch and arguably its weakest link). And the next best player we have on the Oline is Kerstetter, another 3 star who Herman pulled from Okie State with competing offers from juggernauts Bowling Green, Colorado State and Houston.

In the meantime, here are the 4 and 5 star OL we recruited between 2007 and 2016. This list is more stomach turning than Vic's POF thread:

Tray Allen (5*)

Michael Huey (4*)

Kyle Hix (4*)

Aundre McGaskey (4*)

David Snow (4*)

Mark Buchanan (4*)

Mason Walters (5*)

Thomas Ashcraft (4*)

Paden Kelly (4*)

Garrett Porter (4*) 

Trey Hopkins (4*)

Dominic Espinosa (4*)

Sedrick Flowers (4*)

Garrett Greenlea (4*)

Josh Cochran (4*)

Curtis Riser (4*)

Camrhon Hughes (4*)

Donald Hawkins (4*) Juco

Darius James (4*) 

Jake Raulerson (4*)

Rami Hammad (4*)

Patrick Vahe (4*)

Pat Hudson (4*)

Jean Delance (4*)

JP Uriquidez (4*)

Denzel Okafor (4*)

Oh my aching balls

28 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

I think they are looking at Coker because of his height only. Ohio State is running 6’7” and 6’6” tackles and Herman might be thinking he needs more size to get over the hump with Alabama, OSU, Georgia, Clemson, etc. He may be betting on improving his technique and mobility thru development.

I think this theory has weight. Just as Yancy has gone to work on Cosmi and he is still growing maybe in the vein that they are breaking down Coburn they can break down a guy like Coker and with that the untapped athleticism is there with that size. 

1 hour ago, HenryJames said:

You get William Winston.

Maybe we get William Wallace.  He is seven feet tall and blocks men by the hundreds.  If he were to commit he would consume OU with fireballs from his eyes and bolts of lightning from his arse.  Left tackle from the day he sets foot on campus.    

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I think looking at Coker means they have supreme confidence in Yancey to construct him into what they envision.  Obviously, he has warts that they are aware of but maybe they think that those are fixable or manageable. 

I'm not going to bash their takes until they prove that they don't know what they're doing.  

Coker is someone with potential who could excel under Yancy, but  I also think he is well worth any risk if he helps in any way landing his 2021 OT teammates who are two of the best linemen in the state in their class -- Hayden Conner and Bryce Foster

https://247sports.com/Player/Hayden-Conner-84649/

https://247sports.com/Player/Bryce-Foster-46037122/

• Like 2

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

Every year there are a few Tyler Johnsons and Kenyon Greens, but there's also a ton of others who show up late and smart schools grab them. Add in looking for mean streaks, and you've got a recipe for finding plenty of darts that will stick near the target. 

NFL draft seems to provide evidence of this as well. 1st round OL picks were often high rated by recruiting services. After that, the wheels fall and it's hit or miss if the services even knew of the guy, much less rated him highly. Also, to support previous conversation, I saw quite a few of the centers were considered OG, OT recruits by the services.

12 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Coker is someone with potential who could excel under Yancy, but  I also think he is well worth any risk if he helps in any way landing his 2021 OT teammates who are two of the best linemen in the state in their class -- Hayden Conner and Bryce Foster

https://247sports.com/Player/Hayden-Conner-84649/

https://247sports.com/Player/Bryce-Foster-46037122/

Both are Aggy locks. Have you not seen their CB's?

1 hour ago, Dbeasy said:

Yeah, and lets stop and examine how Ohio State is doing at running the football lately. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dbeasy said:

Goddamn double post.

Edited by SydneyCarton
Double post.

2 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Tray Allen (5*)

Michael Huey (4*)

Kyle Hix (4*)

Aundre McGaskey (4*)

David Snow (4*)

Mark Buchanan (4*)

Mason Walters (5*)

Thomas Ashcraft (4*)

Paden Kelly (4*)

Garrett Porter (4*) 

Trey Hopkins (4*)

Dominic Espinosa (4*)

Sedrick Flowers (4*)

Garrett Greenlea (4*)

Josh Cochran (4*)

Curtis Riser (4*)

Camrhon Hughes (4*)

Donald Hawkins (4*) Juco

Darius James (4*) 

Jake Raulerson (4*)

Rami Hammad (4*)

Patrick Vahe (4*)

Pat Hudson (4*)

Jean Delance (4*)

JP Uriquidez (4*)

Denzel Okafor (4*)

This hurts. I wonder how much of this is player development. I know 247 tracks what % of 5/4/3 stars get drafted, but has anyone seen if they track it by position group? Would be interesting to see if OL/DL have a much higher bust rate, even across other schools. 

4 minutes ago, GTNY said:

This hurts. I wonder how much of this is player development. I know 247 tracks what % of 5/4/3 stars get drafted, but has anyone seen if they track it by position group? Would be interesting to see if OL/DL have a much higher bust rate, even across other schools. 

I am guessing teams that go through as many changes in offense, offensive coordinators, and OL coaches as we have over the past 10 years, probably don't develop a large number of All-Conference players or draft picks. The problem with quantifying it is that most teams in that position aren't getting as many 4 and 5 star OL commits. 

25 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

OT Isaiah Hookfin, one of the first of the annual emerging OL "late risers" is visiting for the WVU game. I find him to be a much more interesting prospect than Coker.  

https://247sports.com/Player/Isaiah-Hookfin-46056488/

Would rather take developers like him and Ladarius Henderson than Coker.

• Like 1