Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

Just realized something (that many of you probably already figured out) about DT recruiting. We might be treating the position like we are C and G recruiting.

We take OT’s and intend to move some of them to G or C. We’ve talked about Sweat moving to DT. That might be more than just a single example. The staff might be purposely filling up extra on DE’s instead of DT’s with the expectation that some move inside. It makes sense. The DE’s, like OT’s, tend to be the better athletes with bigger size on their high school teams.

Coburn happened to be good enough at the DT position so they took him. But if they don’t see enough size or athleticism they then turn to the DE’s to fill the hole. It’s pretty obvious. Duh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Nuts that Texas is in battle with Baylor anyway. 

A fact that might lead a casual observer wondering if the rapey green men aren’t up to shenanigans again. Couple that with the fact they’re now shocked he stuck with us, as if we would get in a bidding war over a guy who isn’t expected to see the field for a couple years.

34 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

This shit right here for all those Baylor fagets

14 minutes ago, Leanderman said:

gaylor accusing us of a cover up? That is rich. Ask those ex gaylor females how they feel about cover ups?

Is there a need to make homophobic slurs?  It sounds a little Aggy.  I mean, Baylor is Rape U.  It's not only pejorative but also false.  

• Fuck You 1

Just now, Acropora said:

Is there a need to make homophobic slurs?  It sounds a little Aggy.  I mean, Baylor is Rape U.  It's not only pejorative but also false.  

I'm not using it in a honophobic way, I'm saying they're dipshits who try to act like they're anything more than a big Juco who happens to enjoy raping women. 

4 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Just realized something (that many of you probably already figured out) about DT recruiting. We might be treating the position like we are C and G recruiting.

We take OT’s and intend to move some of them to G or C. We’ve talked about Sweat moving to DT. That might be more than just a single example. The staff might be purposely filling up extra on DE’s instead of DT’s with the expectation that some move inside. It makes sense. The DE’s, like OT’s, tend to be the better athletes with bigger size on their high school teams.

Coburn happened to be good enough at the DT position so they took him. But if they don’t see enough size or athleticism they then turn to the DE’s to fill the hole. It’s pretty obvious. Duh.

e7ec4fe7ea446894d7ea1fb90de69e86.gif

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

hasn't everyone on this fucking thread been trying to tell you that for ages now? am I mixing you up with someone else who has been concerned over DT recruiting?  I feel like I'm taking crazy pills. 

This is 100% how they are approaching the OL/DL spots and jumbo ATH in general. frame/athleticism/quickness over mass/weight/strength.  

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Rememeber when Herman/Orlando took over, they tried slimming several of our existing DTs down into the 280 range? Even with our already-present players that's always been the goal.

16 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

tenor.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Get a Juco Or grad transfer OL and tell Shepherd to have fun at aggy.

Hate to lose someone with his potential and don’t want to “lose” the head to head to aggy, but telling him to walk would be a big step towards proving that Herman is serious about installing his “culture”. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, EZ$ said:

Get a Juco Or grad transfer OL and tell Shepherd to have fun at aggy.

Hate to lose someone with his potential and don’t want to “lose” the head to head to aggy, but telling him to walk would be a big step towards proving that Herman is serious about installing his “culture”. 

Think we want at least one more high school prospect to play interior OL. Or at least a JUCO with an extended eligibility timeline, like Grandy.

2 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Complete opposite of aggy.  Jimbo and the marine want guys already 330 lbs. + and DT's to play DE.

Both approaches make sense given context. Bill Connolly recently wrote a good piece attempting to draw a correlation between the performance of offensive/defensive units in each conference and the average size of said unit.

You'll notice that most units show improved performance with increased size - with the glaring exception of defenses in the Big 12, where the biggest defense was Texas Tech and the eighth-biggest defense was Iowa State.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Think we want at least one more high school prospect to play interior OL. Or at least a JUCO with an extended eligibility timeline, like Grandy.

I think Bamidele Olaseni has 3 years left, right? I might be wrong on that but I think that's part of the appeal - aside from the massive frame and the fact that he is only upside at this point because football is still new to him. 

8 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Complete opposite of aggy.  Jimbo and the marine want guys already 330 lbs. + and DT's to play DE.

To be fair, that’s not a bad strategy in the SEC where 75% of teams run Stone Age offenses. There’s no need for speed rushers when the QBs are bad and teams force the run.

Though with Moorehead and Morris now in the SEC West, there’s at least some decent offensive minds now on the schedule

Edited by TheFlagship

3 minutes ago, Longhornfrenzy said:

USC mod7d5add9907b07ab490e157587937f484.jpg

Meh. I continue to admire his loyalty even to a sinking ship with a shit offense and a shit class. But he stayed true to his feelings and lifelong desires.  That’s light years more than can be said for life long Texans going to ohio state or bama 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Both approaches make sense given context.

but you have to target the right kind of mass - otherwise you end up on the wrong end of that scale. Like Jimbo did before - as pointed out in this article. 

Indiana and Florida State were the only below-average BIG teams (240-plus)

That OL unit that Jimbo left behind at FSU was fucking brutal. Just awful. He's adding a lot of really big, really stiff lead-footed plodders to the OL right now in Lit Station. Will he be able to lean on smaller teams with guys like Jenkins, Clement, Trainor, Jefferson, Bankhead,  etc? Will the size matter vs. Western Southern Blind College? Sure. Will it cause them issues when teams meet their size but also have superior quickness? Yes. Watch the Jimbo FSU teams try to handle an "inferior" Boston College team over his last few years.  

• Like 1

On 12/20/2018 at 1:21 AM, VaHorn said:

We were fucked when we didn’t sign Adrian Peterson and Rhett Bomar.  Players of that caliber had been signing with Texas in years past.  5 straight loses to OU were having an effect. What had been a few chinks in Mack’s recruiting armor were quickly becoming gaping holes. Fortunately, Vince stemmed the tide by leading a team with a lot of depth (that was seemingly unlikely to be repeated) to a national championship.

The VY class was before AD and Bomar. If not for that 2001 class, it’s highly likely that Stoops continues to beat Mack, resulting in Mack getting fired with zero conference titles in his career...and ESPN would still be lauding USC as the best team evarrrrr. 

3 minutes ago, golfclap said:

but you have to target the right kind of mass - otherwise you end up on the wrong end of that scale. Like Jimbo did before - as pointed out in this article. 

That OL unit that Jimbo left behind at FSU was fucking brutal. Just awful. He's adding a lot of really big, really stiff lead-footed plodders to the OL right now in Lit Station. Will he be able to lean on smaller teams with guys like Jenkins, Clement, Trainor, Jefferson, Bankhead,  etc? Will the size matter vs. Western Southern Blind College? Sure. Will it cause them issues when teams meet their size but also have superior quickness? Yes. Watch the Jimbo FSU teams try to handle an "inferior" Boston College team over his last few years.  

FSU’s biggest issue is they have no tackles. It’s a roster of guards. It’s almost like recruiting molds that project to play guard isn’t a wise strategy. 

17 minutes ago, Butch Had Not said:

I think he was hoping three things were going happen with low enough confidence level that he MIGHT get two of the three.

Hookfin

Bru

Shepherd 

Well, yes, but what Herman actually said on 12/19 was that he was expecting 1-2 more LOIs; of course Hookfin had not signed his yet.

UDontKnow is just living up to his username.

21 minutes ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

The VY class was before AD and Bomar. If not for that 2001 class, it’s highly likely that Stoops continues to beat Mack, resulting in Mack getting fired with zero conference titles in his career...and ESPN would still be lauding USC as the best team evarrrrr. 

2002 class

11 minutes ago, Chrispy said:

Didn’t this guy work for Horns247 at some point? Seems he’s gone full Branch Davidian.

Hahahaha. JFC man. A little dramatic, no?

Personally, I love this temper tantrum by the Baylor folks. It's so very Baylor. Lacking in self-awareness, delusions of grandeur, and hilariously (in an ironic way) self-righteous.