Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

Wait. So Barton Simmons believes NFL GMs are the “best way to grade raw talent?” That is fascinating. I’d love to see the behind the scenes process in how brilliant football minds like “EJ” Holland and Barton Simmons work in concert with NFL GMs to decide the true value of these high school kids. I mean, surely NFL GMs know exactly who Joe 3-star TE/OG from Tiny School, TX is and exactly what his pro-potential should be. No doubt Rick Smith and John Dorsey have spent hours pouring over their film. And did you see all those NFL GMs wandering around the All-Star games this weekend? 

This is possibly the dumbest shit I have ever seen, and should be grounds to immediately cancel that service if you are foolish enough to subscribe and demand a full refund. 

Edited by Sejjr
  • Like 3

With that logic how can Justin Fields or Rattler ever get ranked higher than 3 stars? Those guys have very few traits an NFL GM would want but that has nothing to do with how good they will do in college. 

Edited by Newy25

3 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

We may have lost the battle but as long as Helton is at USC we will win the war. Adimora, Floyd, the two Arizona kids, etc. I'll gladly trade McCoy for another year of low resistance west coast poaching. 

This was my point exactly.  He is destroying USC pipelines and the longer he is there the better it is for anyone that wants to recruit Southern California and Arizona

2 hours ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

You realize we're in a conference with WVU, KState, Tech, OSU, and Kansas right? The SEC isn't great but UT is the only school carrying the Big 12 academically. They at least have Vandy, UF, UGA, A&M. We're the worst academic conference if we're being honest. 

The Big 12 with 10 schools has 3 AAU members (30%) and the SEC with 14 schools has 4 (28.5%).

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Schulz2.0 said:

Proctor would push to start at G. Cosmi and Kerstetter are likely our starting tackles.

Given the reported practice reps, I'd say Okafor is also a possibility at OT. Cosmi almost certainly is the starting LT next season. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

7 hours ago, Napoleon said:

I do love the irony of SEC teams having “strict” requirements on Juco transfers. 

The conference is far and away the dumbest of the Power 5, but has set up an impediment to admitting Juco studs with less-than-stellar academics. 

Yeah, it's bizarre. It's so strict, yet that entire conference is littered with Juco's. 

EJ:

— The newest grad transfer on the board is former Virginia offensive lineman RJ Proctor. At 6-foot-4, 335 pounds, Proctor started six games at left guard for Virginia this season after opening the year with an injury. He started five games as a junior. Proctor picked up an offer from Florida State this weekend and has been in contact with the Texas staff. In fact, he is already considering making a trip to Austin.

— I mentioned JUCO offensive lineman Desmond Bland as a name to know last week. The Nebraska commit is a May grad and still exploring other options. Bland spoke with Texas offensive line coach Herb Hand over the weekend and is looking to make an official visit before signing day in February. I will have more from Bland tomorrow.

— JUCO linebacker Lakia Henry is back on the market after parting ways with Tennessee on Saturday. There has always been mutual interest between Texas and Henry. With Caleb Johnson still recovering from a labrum injury, it would make sense for Texas to make another push. But with limited spots left, Texas is still evaluating options. There was a report that Henry would make a visit to Texas in a couple of weeks, but that’s premature at this time.

— Katy running back Deondrick Glass told me that he is a maybe to come in for an official visit this coming week. Right now, things are still being worked out on both sides. Texas obviously wants another back in this class after missing on some of its elite targets during the early period. If Texas does push for Glass, we have reason to believe the Longhorns would move into the pole position. Right now, Oklahoma State is the heavy favorite.

— The staff has been out of the office over the last few days — a well-deserved break after what may be a program changing victory in the Sugar Bowl. They will be back tomorrow and will take a closer look at the overall recruiting picture. I wouldn’t be surprised if some new names pop up over the next 48 hours.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

You realize we're in a conference with WVU, KState, Tech, OSU, and Kansas right? The SEC isn't great but UT is the only school carrying the Big 12 academically. They at least have Vandy, UF, UGA, A&M. We're the worst academic conference if we're being honest. 

I don’t want to get into this dumb academic shit, other than to say both conferences have good schools and terrible schools, but I think you have Kansas in the wrong category. 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Texas Wahoo said:

I don’t want to get into this dumb academic shit, other than to say both conferences have good schools and terrible schools, but I think you have Kansas in the wrong category. 

They're AAU, which is meaningful, but their USNWR ranking, which is less meaningful but more well-known, is pretty meh.

1 hour ago, TKthunder2 said:

He only started 5 games at UVA.  He wouldn’t be penciled in as an automatic starter IMO.

I said push to start. Also, he started 5 games in 2017 and, after coming back from a minor knee injury, started the final 6 games of the season in 2018.

3 hours ago, Newy25 said:

With that logic how can Justin Fields or Rattler ever get ranked higher than 3 stars? Those guys have very few traits an NFL GM would want but that has nothing to do with how good they will do in college. 

Huh?

1 minute ago, Butch Had Not said:

So now that the season is over,  we signed all our WR's and TE's and didn't get bru, can we now fire some coaches and get some recruiters in?

I don’t think Herman will allow any narrative that includes firing. If Mehringer or Warehime happen to find another job, then a replacement will be found for them. 

The problem will be if they can find that job. 

1 minute ago, Neonmoon said:

I don’t think Herman will allow any narrative that includes firing. If Mehringer or Warehime happen to find another job, then a replacement will be found for them. 

AFCA going on right now... let's cross our fingers they're doing some serious networking.

18 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

“derek warehime has decided to leave UT for a great opportunity as the TE coach at abilene christian.”

• Like 2