Texas recruiting notes 2019

1 hour ago, NoName said:

IT Scoop 1/7

Hide contents

When Texas is looking to fill a position of need, the staff won't confine its options to one of high school, JUCO, or grad transfer, rather it will typically weigh all available options and go from there. In some instances they may like their young options and want someone who can fill an immediate gap (or vice versa), but for the most part they'll always go best player available from the three main tributaries to the program. Talent is talent and they don't care if you're a high school player, at Last Chance U, or are ready to move on from your current four-year school as long as you fit the culture and can improve the program.

The needs in the class and program are mostly clear, but like with everything related to recruiting, subject to change. As you'll soon read.

RB Deondrick Glass, Katy: A visit that was seemingly set in stone is now somewhat up in the air. I've been in contact with the father of the 5-foot-9 pinball numerous times this week.

First, after the bowl game:

"Texas is looking good! Defense wins championships. Texas just beat a very good Georgia team! Impressive! Texas can very easily be in the playoffs next year if they play like this all next season. Great win."

"The ground game is okay, still need that home run hitter running back, though."

"We will OV next week to see if it's a good fit."

Then, on Sunday:

"That's the plan [to announce on the 14th]. We might come down there next week, not sure, gotta talk to Coach Drayton."

Interesting, but perhaps here's some clarity on why Texas may re-calibrate numbers at the position.

APB Jordan Whittington, Cuero: You'll notice the new designation of all-purpose back for the talented early enrollee. After turning heads running the ball in a State Championship winning performance, Texas is envisioning Whittington as an Alvin Kamara styled running/receiving threat. Jordan has a dense build that could likely shoulder the load, and obviously has elite receiving skills. This past season saw Longhorns' running backs total more than 50 receptions, but we could see that number grow by leaps and bounds with Whittington coming out of the back-field.

Clearly this is the staff trying to address a roster shortage while also looking for ways to get the best personnel on the field. As receivers, Whittington and Jake Smith step on each others toes a bit, though there's certainly room for both at the position. The staff currently sees the greatest need for Whittington's Swiss Army knife versatility in the back-field. That could change over time, depending on who the 2020 takes are, but for now the slot could find himself slotted for a more unique role.

WR Jake Smith, Notre Dame Prep: The Gatorade National HS Player of the Year was invited to both the Under Armour and Army All-American games, but decided to sit out due to an injury suffered towards the end of his senior season. A few media members took it as him being afraid of competition, but that couldn’t be further from the truth. It isn't a serious injury, but it is one that will require more rehab than originally expected. Smith will be fine in a few weeks time.

Along with Whittington, Smith will add immediate big-play ability the offense was missing in 2018.

CB Keeyon Stewart, North Shore: The former Texas Tech commit and current state champion has caught the staff's attention. Stewart played safety for the Mustangs but he's a corner in college thanks to his 4.3 hand-timed speed. At 6-0, 175 pounds, and a solid tackler, he fits the profile for what Texas is looking for on the island. UT first took interest before NSD1 to see what his plans were. Stewart elected to sit on his offers and not sign in order to see what bigger schools might come his way. UT has been in contact with him but has yet to offer. The staff is still weighing all options, including refreshing the transfer portal often. We know they'd love to add another corner but first preference would probably be some experience, however Stewart's a good athlete (better than Anthony Cook, actually) with upside. He's competitive and tough, too.

LB Lakia Henry, Dodge City C.C.: The hard-hitting inside linebacker was committed to Tennessee for quite some team but recently re-opened things. Texas has mild interest but there are a lot of things that need to be checked out before he was allowed to visit, namely academic standing. Numbers have been addressed at linebacker for the most part, but he's a hard hitter who would compete to start at Mac so he's worth checking into further.

OL Desmond Bland, Arizona Western: The guard prospect committed to Nebraska in June but has yet to sign. He's a high-three star and looks it; light on his feet and has some fight. Texas likes him quite a bit and he might visit. They're still working on it.

OL Dawand Jones, Ben Davis (Indianapolis): The mammoth 6-foot-8, 360 pounder was paid a visit by Herb Hand in December. Texas extended an offer and would like him to visit, but this one is looking like it will go Ohio State's way.

OL Ira Henry, Trinity Catholic (St. Louis): The teammate of Texas signee Marcus Washington and 2020 target Mookie Cooper is another possibility to visit. He's 6-foot-5, 320 pounds and a mid-three-star.

The offensive line is another position where the portal is being monitored daily. There are reports out that Texas has been in touch with Virginia graduate transfer, RJ Proctor. We'll check into that and see how genuine the interest is on each side.

OL Chad Lindberg, Clear Creek: The in-state top 10 talent recently returned home from Orlando where he participated in the Under Armour Future 50 event. Here are some quotes you'll like:

"Future 50 was good. Good experience and got a lot of stuff. Did well on the drills then twisted an ankle first rep of 1on1s lol but it’s all good. 1on1s aren’t football. Give me pads and I'd clean those DL guys up."

"Watched the Texas game with Hudson Card and Zach Evans. We all enjoyed it."

I mentioned earlier in the year Evans told me he wanted to play with the 6-foot-6, 305 pound road-grader.

"Yeah that’s the plan. We spent a lot of time with each other in Orlando. He cares about playing with me and Damieon George."

Texas has also offered Damieon George who would certainly tuck neatly in a 5-6 man offensive line class.

What about the spring, big man?

"I don’t have any plans set up but I’ll go as many places as I can. I’ll see LSU and Texas for sure."
I told him he'll be the smartest person in Louisiana the second he crosses the border. No offense @roschonsbigbro or any other Louisiana dwellers.

UT has a long way to go with Lindberg, but I doubt they'd trade their position with any other school.

The number will be 5-6 for the position in the class and landing Lindberg would be perhaps the biggest piece.

CB Avery Helm, Fort Bend Marshall: In what should have been a magical season, the junior corner lost a teammate to a domestic altercation and tore his ACL. Despite that, Helm stays optimistic and upbeat. "I should be back full in the spring but the summer is where I’m really going to take my game to another level."

He's certainly one of my favorite corners in the class, and I told him I hoped the injury didn't hurt his communication with college coaches. He said communication has remained great with schools and UT is one of the schools he plans to visit this spring.

Because of the injury his process might have slowed down a little, offer-wise, but the kid is a talent who could blow up. He received a very early Utah offer (good indicator) and also one from LSU in October.

OL Donovan Jackson, Bellaire Episcopal: Despite being rated a 92 by 247, I think it's clear Jackson will be in the five-star conversation eventually. There's a little Kenyon Green to him. Jackson had a hell of a combine in San Antonio, finishing on the all-combine team. His father, Todd, didn't have his son's size listing from the event yet, but he said Donovan measured 6-foot-5, 305 pounds when they visited Alabama for the Iron Bowl.

I asked him what visits they had planned for the spring an he said, "Nothing set yet. Waiting for schedules to come out but thinking UT, Bama, UGA to start." My next question was going to be about the Sugar Bowl but after he mentioned wanting to visit Georgia I shelved it. I didn't want to sound like I was drawing a distinction between the two schools. It's safe to say UT is in good early shape here.

IN CASE YOU WERE WORRIED...

Inside Texas wouldn't have a high profile recruitment to fret over during the final weeks, fret not!

Both me and Justin have recently heard positive rumblings regarding UT and defensive back Jalen Catalon......from the Arkansas side. Yes, not the Texas side.

Of course Texas has been selling the Sugar Bowl victory along with everything else since the big game. There's fear in Fayetteville that it is taking root.

We're not saying Texas is now the favorite, and we're also not discounting TCU, but UT certainly helped itself January 1st.

247 links for the 2019 players mentioned above:

https://247sports.com/player/deondrick-glass-87041/

https://247sports.com/Player/Keeyon-Stewart-46052810/

https://247sports.com/Player/Lakia-Henry-46052726/

https://247sports.com/Player/Desmond-Bland-68822/

https://247sports.com/Player/Dawand-Jones-46052090/

https://247sports.com/Player/Ira-Henry-46037653/

• Like 6

Just now, Stampeder said:

Sure doesn't seem like we have any likely HS options to add to the 2019 class at this point.  Outside of Catalon I'm not sure who else we're heavily considering.

Glass, Stewart, Henry, Cam’ron Johnson, Barlow

6 minutes ago, Fud said:

Glass, Stewart, Henry, Cam’ron Johnson, Barlow

Reading the latest updates, sounds like our interest in Glass is waning.  Henry isn't a HS prospect.  Noted on Cam'ron Johnson.  Haven't read anything about Barlow of late.  I'm sure the staff has irons in the fire as they're pretty good about keeping a lid on info.

Just now, Stampeder said:

Reading the latest updates, sounds like our interest in Glass is waning.  Henry isn't a HS prospect.  Noted on Cam'ron Johnson.  Haven't read anything about Barlow of late.  I'm sure the staff has irons in the fire as they're pretty good about keeping a lid on info.

Ira Henry 

Regarding Glass and Barlow, we'll see. Maybe they like that they can tell Evans, McClellan, McGowan, et al that we've only taken two RBs the past two classes

25 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

Did you not even read the link above? 

I read it.  Didn't see any likely HS options listed.  Mostly a bunch of guys we're trying to get to visit or still evaluating, but next to none of them what I'd consider likely.  With 4-5 spots left to fill there aren't many obvious adds to the class.

Edited by Stampeder

2 minutes ago, Stampeder said:

I read it.  Didn't see any likely HS options listed.  Mostly a bunch of guys we're trying to get to visit or still evaluating, but next to none of them what I'd consider likely.  With 4-5 spots left to fill there aren't many obvious adds to the class.

Seems to me that they'll take one more DB, and that it'll be Catalon or the North Shore kid. Unclear if they'll push for another RB or not. Monitoring OL. 

5 minutes ago, Stampeder said:

the odds of them closing and adding zero more HS players in this year's class is near zero

1 minute ago, Fud said:

Seems to me that they'll take one more DB, and that it'll be Catalon or the North Shore kid. Unclear if they'll push for another RB or not. Monitoring OL. 

I think we'll see a flurry of movement after the AFCA. If not, I don't see how they remotely approach 27/28 and likely finish at like 23/24. If that means more 2020, fine by me.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

I realize this dead horse has been obliterated - but are we still expecting some coaching staff turnover?  Or did the Sugar Bowl victory salve some pains?

I think it makes a ton of sense to add a defensive guy so that we have a 6/5 offensive/defensive split instead of 7/4, but I'm in wait and see mode after I've heard about specific changes in the past potentially happening only for them to fall through 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

I realize this dead horse has been obliterated - but are we still expecting some coaching staff turnover?  Or did the Sugar Bowl victory salve some pains?

I've maintained during this entire cycle that there are certainly no givens regarding staff turnover, and the success of the season inflates that uncertainty. I've seen $9.95ers state repeatedly that changes were a near certainty, and I think they're throwing shit at the wall. Nonetheless, the odds favor something happening, given that two years in a row with zero departures for a program like Texas would be some kind of record. 

What I know is that Beck didn't call plays after Tulsa. Without getting into too many details, that comes from someone near him in the games. Hard to call plays when you go entire drives without saying anything into your headset.

I'm not rooting for Beck to leave, personally. He's an excellent recruiter and he knows what he's doing with QBs. 

I think the non-coordinators were on 2 year contracts, which have essentially expired, so now would be the time for real change. They need rainmakers on the DL and at TB, if nothing else. 

• Like 2

The 9.95ers aren't too plugged in with this staff in general, but in particular when it comes to staff changes, they're clueless. The Herb Hand hire came as a complete surprise to seemingly the entirety of Texas messageboardom.

As for me, I think we'll see one move to free up a space for a plus recruiter (Beaty), and if there's anything else I'll be pleasantly surprised.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

They need rainmakers on the DL and at TB, if nothing else. 

I would agree.  Regarding RB, though, unless the NFL calls on Drayton and he really wants to go back to the professional level, I see him staying at Texas.  And Giles' job security seems tied to his coaching notwithstanding his recruiting shortcomings.  But what the fuck do I know?

TFB Open Post: https://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2019/01/open-post-monday-january-7th/

Five ESD Thoughts | Defense
– Andrew King

Some of my main thoughts on the offensive class Texas signed during the early signing period in the 2019 class.

1. Out of state stars lead the way.

Texas’ 2019 defensive class is led by a pair of out of state recruits, and both fit exactly what Texas wants. The first is Westlake (CA) linebacker De’Gabriel Floyd. At 6’2 240, Floyd is big enough to play inside linebacker in the Big 12. Also add to the fact he’s enrolling early, he’ll add more good weight in Yancy McKnight’s weight program in January. Like graduating linebacker Gary Johnson, Floyd can really run for his size too. He played running back and returned kicks and punts in high school.

The other is Grayson (GA) cornerback Kenyatta Watson II. A long corner at 6’2 has good speed and change of pace for his size. He’s also a freak athlete, who has a 45 inch vertical. Cornerback coach Jason Washington likes bigger corners, and Watson will be the biggest one on the Texas roster once he enrolls. He’s a bit slim right now at 180, but give it time. He’ll be 6’2 200 pounds sooner rather than later and will be a physical specimen out at corner.

2. Underrated defensive lineman could surprise

We’ve talked about Many (LA) defensive end Myron Warren and how it was huge for Texas to lock him up at the early signing period. With Tennessee pushing for an official visit and LSU lurking in the background. And I’m excited to see Warren in Austin. But the guy I’m really interested to see is Huntsville (TX) defensive end T’Vondre Sweat. He’s the perfect fit for Todd Orlando’s 3-4 defense. He’s big enough to hold his own in the run game, but can move well enough at his size to play at the strong-side defensive end position. He told me he’s 6’3 280 right now. Think of Ta’Quon Graham as a comparison for Sweat.

3. JUCO additions at positions of need.

The defensive line and linebacker are the two spots where Texas is losing the most in 2019. All three defensive line starters in Charles Omenihu, Chris Nelson and Breckyn Hager are graduating. And linebackers Gary Johnson and Anthony Wheeler are leaving as well. Texas did a good job at adding two of the best junior college players at those positions to help with the loss of those previously mentioned players.

Butler CC (KS) strong side defensive end Jacoby Jones is the #2 JUCO player at his position. And Fullerton College (CA) outside linebacker Caleb Johnson is the #3 JUCO player at his position. Both are early enrollees and will be in Austin later in January.

4. 2018 DB class hurt in 2019, cycle but a star could be in the fold.

Texas’ historic defensive back class hurt them in the 2019 cycle. That’s not surprising, when you land elite recruits like Anthony Cook, Jalen Green, Caden Sterns, BJ Foster, D’Shawn Jamison (yes I know he played wide reciever this year), and DeMarvion Overshown in the same position group. It’s going to be hard to back that up in the following class. I already talked about Kenyatta Watson earlier, but Texas could’ve landed a future star in this defensive back class.

Plano East (TX) safety Tyler Owens has all the tools to become the next great Texas defensive back. He’s already 6’2 200+, runs a 10.34 100 meter dash. He may not see the field a ton as a true freshman, but I’d peg him as someone who will be a special teams star for the Longhorns in 2019.

5. Best player available approach going forward.

12 of the 21 signees for Texas are defensive recruits. So outside of Mansfield Legacy (TX) safety Jalen Catalon, Texas is in a spot to take the best player that comes available for any remaining 2019 defensive spots. They’ve signed four linebackers, four defensive backs, and four defensive lineman.

Lakia Henry | Quick Hitter
– Andrew King

Dodge City C.C. linebacker Lakia Henry decommitted from Tennessee this past weekend.

The #1 JUCO linebacker has taken two official visits so far, to Tennessee and Arkansas. Henry just told me he plans to officially visit Texas on January 19th.

Arkansas has felt pretty good about their chances to flip Henry. But getting Henry on campus is huge, and he’s from the same junior college as Gary Johnson. So Texas will have a real shot in this one.

Bru McCoy to USC
– Will Baizer

We’ve been hinting at it for quite a while now. 5-star ATH Bru McCoy committed to USC and signed his papers two weeks ago.

It’s been over for quite a while.

We are also aware of the Kliff Kingsbury drama (AD Lynn Swann blocking NFL teams from speaking with him about their head coaching positions). Sources tell us how that plays out will have no effect on Bru and USC. He is a Trojan and will remain as such.

Moving on.

42 minutes ago, South Austin said:

I would agree.  Regarding RB, though, unless the NFL calls on Drayton and he really wants to go back to the professional level, I see him staying at Texas.  And Giles' job security seems tied to his coaching notwithstanding his recruiting shortcomings.  But what the fuck do I know?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZ_F2X8H3Zc

See  at 2:32:25 or so. Reading the body language, seem to think an RB coach change is unlikely...

10 hours ago, Napoleon said:

I don't, though I've seen some posts stating that they expect him to contribute next year.

My concern is that he looks extremely lean and strong right now and yet doesn't have any quickness. I doubt that he's going to add quickness as he gains weight, because he's not chicken-legged now with all upper body weight.

My thinking is that he'll redshirt, then spend another season or two getting bigger (hopefully only with good weight) and will eventually be an inline blocking TE that people forget can catch the ball. His contribution will be releasing late and catching 7 yard seam passes that he'll then take another 1 to 5 yards.

He's got a massive frame, so carrying a ripped 250-260 lbs should be possible by his 3rd or 4th season. He catches anything even remotely close to him, so teaching a slow blocker to catch is definitely not a problem with Liebrock.

I don't think I have ever seen a quick twitch tight end, which seems to be what you are looking for. TE's typically get open due to physical mismatches, technical route running, and finding soft spots in zones. Liebrock seems to have at least 2 of those traits. Guys like Anthony Gonzales and Antonio Gates are the goats and neither were particularly quick, but they won tons of jump balls and were great route runners. Jason Witten caught 90+ passes waddling around the middle of the field like an old man. 

• Like 3

I hope Beaty gets hired. I don't care what position. He can recruit and we need a better presences in Dallas. To be honest, Herman is a pretty good OC and I would like him to continue calling plays. But I would think Herman would like Beaty to do that. Beck can move to QB coach or Co-OC if it makes everyone feel better about themselves. 

one of Mehringer/Warehime need to go if not both. We need to hire a big recruiter for DL. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Neonmoon said:

I hope Beaty gets hired. I don't care what position. He can recruit and we need a better presences in Dallas. To be honest, Herman is a pretty good OC and I would like him to continue calling plays. But I would think Herman would like Beaty to do that. Beck can move to QB coach or Co-OC if it makes everyone feel better about themselves. 

one of Mehringer/Warehime need to go if not both. We need to hire a big recruiter for DL. 

The best hope I have for retention of Beck is that his contact pays him 900k, he probably isn't getting an OC position elsewhere to pay him close to that much, and if he stays at Texas and we slide him sideways as QB/CO-OC, he'll still make that money. It's going to take one of:

a.) Beck is a prideful man and would rather make 250k calling plays at a shitty directional school

b.) Herman actively sacks up, says GTFO, I'm replacing you with someone else

The first option seems possible, but not likely assuming Beck is remotely pragmatic. The second one I haven't seen any indication of herman behaving in that manner, but then again Beck isn't one of his boys like wareheim and hipster rooster.

Turnover even when things are not going well is a two-edged sword. When things are going well, replacing even a weak link can have at least some downside. Unless Herman (as given 30,000 foot advice by CDC) thinks Drayton is hamstringing us with Evans, I have difficulty seeing him fired. He has a good rep, has presumably been involved in building relationship with our prime RB target (who happens to be in-state this time), and is not obviously our weakest link. Meh may be meh, but our WRs are playing well, and we just reeled in some national top guys at the position. His seat doesn't look hot from where I am. Giles and Herman go way back. The last two B12 DL of the year were ours. We have not been landing 5*s, and losing Leal stung, but Giles doesn't look like he is doomed either. TH has apparently taken over calling plays from Beck. TH has expended some PR capital downplaying and nearly outright denying it, though. Beck has seemed to be plus in recruiting, QB development, and game preparation. After watching that opening drive in the Sugar and seeing the final result, it would be hard for me to imagine that Herman will fire Beck. Demoting him likewise would mean backtracking in a way I find unlikely. That leaves W.

He was half-fired last year. Hand is the name our recruits know. Cutting ties to him is highly unlikely to sink any boats for us. Hand is the one coaching up our line. We are tilted toward too many offensive guys. It may be couched as a promotion to senior executive vice president for football consultants, but I think he is very likely going to be involuntarily removed from our official coaching staff. And I think only he is.

Edited by Magus Ossis
  • Like 4

5 minutes ago, Magus Ossis said:

Turnover even when things are not going well is a two-edged sword. When things are going well, replacing even a weak link can have at least some downside. Unless Herman (as given 30,000 foot advice by CDC) thinks Drayton is hamstringing us with Evans, I have difficulty seeing him fired. He has a good rep, has presumably been involved in building relationship with our prime RB target (who happens to be in-state this time), and is not obviously our weakest link. Meh may be meh, but our WRs are playing well, and we just reeled in some national top guys at the position. His seat doesn't look hot from where I am. Giles and Herman go way back. The last two B12 DL of the year were ours. We have not been landing 5*s, and losing Leal stung, but Giles doesn't look like he is doomed either. TH has apparently taken over calling plays from Beck. TH has expended some PR capital downplaying and nearly outright denying it, though. Beck has seemed to be plus in recruiting, QB development, and game preparation. After watching that opening drive in the Sugar and seeing the final result, it would be hard for me to imagine that Herman will fire Beck. Demoting him likewise would mean backtracking in a way I find unlikely. That leaves W.

He was half-fired last year. Hand is the name our recruits know. Cutting ties to him is highly unlikely to sink any boats for us. Hand is the one coaching up our line. We are tilted toward too many offensive guys. It may be couched as a promotion to senior executive vice president for football consultants, but I think he is very likely going to be involuntarily removed from our official coaching staff. And I think only he is.

Excellent synopsis and makes the most sense to me as well.  Question is who would replace him?  Beatty seems like the most obvious option, but that would maintain the imbalance between offensive and defensive coaches.

23 hours ago, Not a Sock said:

NFL GMs?  The fucking football board is a better evaluator  of talent than the moronic retards that are NFL GMs.

This has to be one of the dumbest takes ever on the internet. I hope you’re trolling and just nabbed me.

Reads like a Hank Scorpio post. 

I wonder if Herman is angling to bring in Carrier and Beaty to try to nudge our passing attack toward the Air Raid, while keeping the QB option running game components that are his bread and butter?

I would, obviously, be all for this.

Edited by Katfid54
  • Like 3

Just now, Katfid54 said:

I wonder if Herman is angling to bring in Carrier and Beaty to try to nudge our passing attack toward the Air Raid, while keeping the QB option running game components that are his bread and butter?

Clearly, it signals a shift towards 10 personnel being our base. We're going to have 4 WR coaches on staff, one for each wideout on the field.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Clearly, it signals a shift towards 10 personnel being our base. We're going to have 4 WR coaches on staff, one for each wideout on the field.

With Andrew Beck gone, and Duvernay, LJH (fingers crossed), CJ, and Burt all being seniors, basing out of 10 personnel would make a lot of sense.

Considering we want to keep Beck and want to hire Carrier and Beaty and we want to get Giles help, we need 3 positions to open up. I see W and the 2 wide receiver coaches as possibilities. So, best case scenario would be for Beck to slide over to QB coach and co-OC, Beaty to OC and TE, Carrier to WR coach and then bring in an extra DL coach. Hurtt I guess would be possible but he is with Seattle.

1 minute ago, Bevo said:

Considering we want to keep Beck and want to hire Carrier and Beaty and we want to get Giles help, we need 3 positions to open up. I see W and the 2 wide receiver coaches as possibilities. So, best case scenario would be for Beck to slide over to QB coach and co-OC, Beaty to OC and TE, Carrier to WR coach and then bring in an extra DL coach. Hurtt I guess would be possible but he is with Seattle.

Herb Hand is a co-OC , so we would have 3 co-OCs?