Texas recruiting notes 2019

22 minutes ago, UTEX90 said:

"West coast kids, for the most part, seem soft... USC has recruited very well the last few years and they suck. t.u. going west for players is a perfect transition for when they go to the pac12... " - OrganicAg Gigem247

Nailed it.

real pussies like larry allen, ricky williams, ronnie lott, bruce matthews.

Just now, Mileslong said:

do we know yet if Bru can play this year or not?

Having him sign financial aid papers and likely enroll in classes today was a big first step. Today is the 4th day of the spring semester and the official "add/drop" end. After today, you'd need special dispensation from the registrar to enroll in a class. If you're not enrolled as a student, you're not on the team. If he signed an aid package, my guess is he's got his class schedule. He would then be an official student for the spring semester.

After this, it gets murky, and anyone who tells you they're "certain" about what's going to happen is only following their heart. USC released him from his LOI, but this literally makes zero difference. LOI's are only interesting until classes start and you're enrolled. Classes started at USC, and he was enrolled in them. He can likely un-enroll from USC without academic penalty, but (to quote U.E. McGill) the NCAA is a little more hard nosed than that.

Essentially, the NCAA considers him to be a student at USC for the spring semester the same as if he transferred in May. He will need a waiver to gain immediate eligibility, and there really aren't any comparable incidents to compare. Officially, you need to claim some sort of compelling circumstance for a waiver. Justin Fields transferred to tOSU, and is claiming that a racial incident on a baseball field caused him undue hardship at UGA. The general consensus is that this stands a good chance of satisfying the NCAA, and earning a waiver. If that's the threshold (and I'm not belittling the severity of racial abuse at all), then it seems that some unrelated incident (I wouldn't use the "my coach left" argument - it happens all the time) might be proffered to prevent 1 week from costing him an entire season.

I'm gruntled that the NCAA is well known for its rapid, fair, consistent, and common sense responses - and not being the least bit capricious and arbitrary.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Sgt Hulk said:

do we have room?

I can't imagine this guy voluntarily lining up opposite BJ Foster in practice after their introduction this year. Would have to be a masochist.

57 minutes ago, Kill Switch said:

Something to think about.  Bru could really open the door for Texas to get a few of those Mater Dei guys in the coming years.

Mater Dei just an avenue to the real prize: Opus Dei recruits. 

Edited by TommyGufano

8 minutes ago, GoldAppleCorps said:

Having him sign financial aid papers and likely enroll in classes today was a big first step. Today is the 4th day of the spring semester and the official "add/drop" end. After today, you'd need special dispensation from the registrar to enroll in a class. If you're not enrolled as a student, you're not on the team. If he signed an aid package, my guess is he's got his class schedule. He would then be an official student for the spring semester.

After this, it gets murky, and anyone who tells you they're "certain" about what's going to happen is only following their heart. USC released him from his LOI, but this literally makes zero difference. LOI's are only interesting until classes start and you're enrolled. Classes started at USC, and he was enrolled in them. He can likely un-enroll from USC without academic penalty, but (to quote U.E. McGill) the NCAA is a little more hard nosed than that.

Essentially, the NCAA considers him to be a student at USC for the spring semester the same as if he transferred in May. He will need a waiver to gain immediate eligibility, and there really aren't any comparable incidents to compare. Officially, you need to claim some sort of compelling circumstance for a waiver. Justin Fields transferred to tOSU, and is claiming that a racial incident on a baseball field caused him undue hardship at UGA. The general consensus is that this stands a good chance of satisfying the NCAA, and earning a waiver. If that's the threshold (and I'm not belittling the severity of racial abuse at all), then it seems that some unrelated incident (I wouldn't use the "my coach left" argument - it happens all the time) might be proffered to prevent 1 week from costing him an entire season.

I'm gruntled that the NCAA is well known for its rapid, fair, consistent, and common sense responses - and not being the least bit capricious and arbitrary.

Hey man, I just want to say thank you for your continued insight into these situations and the rules and how they are applied to kids. It's a really amazing addition to this board. 

Mah-ter Day-ee. You actually pronounce the "i" distinct from the "e" in "Dei," as it's possessive of Deus (day-us, day-ee).

Here endeth the Latin lesson.

In other news, y'all wanna read something entertaining?

https://www.reddit.com/user/aggietravis <-- lookit this guy melt down during the Sugar Bowl game thread at r/cfb. This was shared on the Bru McCoy to Texas thread there, but the quotes just keep going.

I wonder how the staff is thinking about Kennedy Lewis at this point. If they redshirt him, does that put him at risk to enter the TP or can he be a program guy? Not saying he does redshirt, it just crosses my mind. On the other hand to the freshman is a guy like Pouncey, who hasn't seen much, if any, PT yet. I assume he's pretty much gone, although I am not cheering for it or anything. 

We're fat at the position next year with Burt taking the redshirt this season and Epps/Jamison seemingly making a permanent switch. My guess is they're happy to have him compete and let the chips fall where they may. Have a tough conversation with who they need to next spring.

11 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

Mah-ter Day-ee. You actually pronounce the "i" distinct from the "e" in "Dei," as it's possessive of Deus (day-us, day-ee).

Here endeth the Latin lesson.

In other news, y'all wanna read something entertaining?

https://www.reddit.com/user/aggietravis <-- lookit this guy melt down during the Sugar Bowl game thread at r/cfb. This was shared on the Bru McCoy to Texas thread there, but the quotes just keep going.

This one was a nice touch:

[–]AggieTravis -19 points 23 days ago 

I'd rather go 0-8 in the SEC every year than win the Big 12 every year. Glad we got out of the disaster dumpster fire known as the Big 12. What a total joke. Texas fans can have fun winning in their shit tier conference against scrubs like Kansas, Baylor, Iowa State and Kansas State. I'd rather play good teams and lose a few than play shit teams and win.

Better to be at the adults table than have the biggest chair and plate at the kids table.

Wouldn't the adult's table be Conference Championships and Playoffs?