Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

9 minutes ago, Machinator said:

he made the mistake of signing his Letter of Intent during the early signing period. That removed any leverage he had.

He went into his USC commitment shaky at best. He was close to Tee Martin throughout the process. That was the Trojans' Drew Mehringer and when Martin left, it gave UT a boost I wasn't sure it would lose. However, UT did lose that favorable standing thanks to the Kliff Kingsbury hiring.

We chronicled how the McCoys were uncertain about USC's administration. Concerns were beyond the head coach and into the AD. Maybe even beyond that if I can speculate. When Helton hired Kingsbury it gave a semblance of stability. Stability was one thing UT had in its distinct favor.

That brings us to the Sugar Bowl. It was already clear that Tom Herman was the long-term answer for Texas, but now he had the appearance of a potential great. With Sam Ehlinger's predictable rise, UT has a trigger-man to offer hope for the next two years. UT was done talking the talk and started walking the walk.

Before the Sugar Bowl we heard that if UT won that game, the staff felt it could make a credible run to regain momentum in McCoys direction.

I don't think whoever wrote this thought through the implications of these two statements.

A question about ncaa rules as it relates to Shepard. Given that he is a verbal commit, I believe the coaches are not allowed to say anything about him, right? If so, that might explain why Texas parting ways with him hasn’t made news, if they have. Shepard himself could be refusing to disclose his decommitment, leaving Texas with no easy way to disclose it. Is this possible?

Verbal commit is irrelevant, as I understand the rules to be. Can’t comment directly about any recruit unless they’re signed. Retweets and whatnot are ok, but coaches can’t say anything themselves.

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

Some things NCAA might change include:

1) Roster Limits -- Make it a rolling 85-scholly limit, and leave it up to schools as to how and when they fill that number as long as they don’t exceed it.

2) Modify the rigid 25-scholarship limit per year rules that don't account for those who may leave early, don't qualify or exercise their right to transfer.

3) Change rules so that all grad transfers can go to any school that they choose without seeking approval from the school they are leaving.

1) the roster limit is rolling. It can rise throughout the year.  It only needs to be 85 in the beginning of Sept.

2) There is no "rigid" 25 scholarship limit. Teams can go past 25 to get to 85. It was meant to curb the oversigning problem (signing players beyond the 85 limit every year and weeding them out by Sept)

TFB Open Post: https://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/

Quick Hitter | Team Notes | Whittington, Moore, OL, Hudson
– Will Baizer

– I am hearing from multiple places that early enrollee Jordan Whittington, who was initially recruited as a slot, will start off working mainly with the running backs.

It seems the Longhorn staff was also paying attention to the State Championship. This should also make sure that once Jake Smith arrives on campus, the two are not stepping on each other’s toes a la Lil’Jordan Humphrey and Reggie Hemphill-Mapps.

– Speaking of Lil’Jordan Humphrey, sophomore receiver Josh Moore will be tasked with replacing him. Luckily, he’s shown an ability to get separation in the college game that has translated quite well from his high school days. Those around the program are optimistic about his return from surgery and are telling me he should have a big spring.

– A redshirt freshman who continues to receive high praise is offensive guard Junior Angilau. I’m told he’s another guy who has the mentality that Herb Hand wants in his guards, has the best feet at the guard position, and is powerful to boot. He and Denzel Okafor are my early front-runners for the guard positions.

– The right tackle position is still up in the air. I’m continuing to hear good things about the development of redshirt freshman offensive tackle Christian Jones. It appears the staff really likes his work ethic, and off the field, he has the right attitude to put in a lot of extra work. I’m not saying he starts this year, but he is a project that is coming around nicely and may play sooner than later.

– I checked in with a source on redshirt sophomore offensive lineman Patrick Hudson. The 6’5, 330lbs swiss army knife was taken to the Intensive Care Unit back in September after suffering from “exertional heat cramps” due to rising body temperature during a hot and humid day. It is not over, but as of now, I do not see Patrick Hudson returning to the team any time soon if at all. Medical retirement seems to be where this thing is going.

Lakia Henry | Visit Plans
– Andrew King

I reported a few weeks ago that Dodge City CC  (KS) outside linebacker Lakia Henry was planning to officially visit Texas over this past weekend. That obviously didn’t happen with Texas hosting a lot of 2020 and 2021 recruits over the weekend. But things aren’t dead with Henry and Texas.

I spoke with him recently and he told me that he plans to officially visit Ole Miss this weekend and Texas the following weekend. Then he plans to make his commitment on signing day.

This recruitment is a little bit interesting. As Henry decommitted from Tennessee, there were some rumblings about him being a grade risk. I haven’t 100% confirmed anything but this could be a similar situation to Gary Johnson, who played at the same junior college. There’s an SEC junior college academic requirement that requires recruits to pass one extra math class to be eligible to transfer to the SEC. Gary Johnson had this issue and it was the reason he decommitted from Alabama and ended up signing with Texas.

Arkansas is a school that Henry is high on and he’s officially visited Fayetteville. But if the SEC math requirement is the only thing holding him back, that would likely eliminate Arkansas and Ole MIss. And if Texas wants him, they’d be in a very good spot. This situation could change over the next few weeks, but that’s what it looks like right now. Henry also has three years to play two seasons at whichever school he chooses.

Just now, Mikey4 said:

He's now shown as uncommitted on the top 247.

https://247sports.com/Season/2019-Football/CompositeRecruitRankings/?InstitutionGroup=HighSchool

Delete user if already posted.

Which, as Huckleberry pointed out in another thread, means he is going to end up in his next teams 2019 class.

aggy.  tears.

2 minutes ago, golfclap said:

NSIAP :: Aggy meltdown led me to this ... 

Barton :: How 247Sports will handle Bru McCoy's status going forward

You know the only reason they released a statement is because of the inevitable aggy meltdown.  aggy were all over twitter yesterday telling reporters Bru wouldn't count towards 2019 class.

Edited by Hiphopopotamos
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, OnAComputer said:

This. Jake Majors will be another example of this.

Next time you go out to see Majors, Surly needs you to do the following:

1. take a picture of yourself barefoot with a measuring tape against the wall and post it here so we know your height. Make sure you are completely flat against the wall. Even the slightest bit of space between you and the wall could ruin this experiment entirely. Surly has informed me many times that even a slight angle variation can make one appear approximately 16 inches taller than he actually is. 

2. Buy a Tanita BC554 Body composition Monitor and post your weight to the board, down to the ounce. Do it in the morning before you eat or drink but pee first. Also, don’t do it the morning after you just ate like 8 HBCB’s the night before.

3. When you visit Majors, have your butt buddy Joe Cook take a series of photos with you next to Majors. Both of you MUST be barefoot. I’m talking landscape and portrait, side-to-side, back-to-back, and face-to-face with just the tip touching. Now, Make sure you’re perfectly parallel with neither person even an inch ahead of the other. This is important. See supra, article 1, 4th clause.

4. Bring said Tanita BC554 Body Composition Monitor to the practice. Weigh yourself first, with pads on of course., to account for the weight of the pads, then Weigh Majors.  

5. Detail all findings in the 2020 thread and be sure to use MLA citation for any footnotes or in-text citations.

6. Profit...in rep.

Make sure you read and re-read these instructions at least 5 times. The next 2-3 years worth of Surly debates about whether Majors can play, Tackle, Guard, or if he’s the next Jake Raulerson depends on you. 

Godspeed.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

You know the only reason they released a statement is because of the inevitable aggy meltdown.  aggy were all over twitter yesterday telling reporters Bru wouldn't count towards 2019 class.

I mean, it's really just so stupid to think he wouldn't, or couldn't, count toward 2019.

These recruiting rankings don't come from the NCAA or the conferences or any official governing body.  They come from media outlets and paid subscription-based services.  There aren't any RULES that they need to follow for reporting out the recruiting classes and their rankings, which are all pretty meaningless anyway.

To think they'd have to follow some rule to the letter of the law is really, really stupid.  You know, morons.

10 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

LOL it might as well have been a direct post to the aggy board.  Literally nobody else cares about it.

SIAP:

1. There is no NCAA restriction on where grad transfers go, and they are immediately eligible. It is highly unlikely that NCAA will forbid conferences from having conference rules affecting eligibility to participate on conference teams.

2. There is most assuredly still a 25-player signing limit. Te math can be funny if one does not know the technicalities, but the limit is a hard cap unless an exception is made, e.g., for programs starting from scratch.

1 minute ago, Magus Ossis said:

SIAP:

1. There is no NCAA restriction on where grad transfers go, and they are immediately eligible. It is highly unlikely that NCAA will forbid conferences from having conference rules affecting eligibility to participate on conference teams.

I thought the new school had to offer a grad school subject your current school didn't offer? or did they get rid of that requirement? 

1 minute ago, Viper said:

I thought the new school had to offer a grad school subject your current school didn't offer? or did they get rid of that requirement? 

You are correct-- I was not counting that requirement. As grad programs can be tailored to the specific student, I have trouble imagining this ever being an issue except at a school (aggy, I'm looking at you) that didn't think of this or couldn't be bothered to make it happen.

I’m all about supporting the athletes, I respect his decision, and he obviously got screwed over by Kliff, Lynn, and Clay, but that doesn’t mean I have to like the fact that he did this. I can be an irrational USC fan Fuck. Bru. McCoy.

From Bartsool SC Twitter.  Bru responded

We all have our rights ❤️

And no I don't know how to copy a tweet onto here.

4 minutes ago, mrhorn said:

From Bartsool SC Twitter.  Bru responded

We all have our rights ❤️

And no I don't know how to copy a tweet onto here.

It was literally easier than copying and pasting the content like you did.

edit - To be slightly less of a dick, the answer is that you simply copy and paste the URL from the address bar. http not https and just get rid of all the stuff after the status ID.

Edited by Huckleberry
  • Haha 1