Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

13 minutes ago, Enchubben said:

Roschon at QB, Zach Evans and Jordan Whittington split in backfield. Jake Smith, Bru McCoy and Marcus Washington at WR. Whittington goes out in motion. 

What do you do?!?

If you are a Texas fan, pee your pants.

If you are an opposing DC, shit your pants.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SquishMitten said:

Since USC classes started earlier than ours, I assume the add/drop period has ended? If not, I wonder if dropping all classes and unenrolling would be somewhat of a loophole around NCAA rules. At that point, he technically wouldn’t be a student for this semester, and no scholarship money would’ve been used.

I’m worried the NCAA won’t grant the waiver, but it would be a very athlete-friendly position to take if they do. It would fix a lot of the shadiness of getting kids to commit only to see their primary recruiter/coach leave. That’s been a problem for a long time, and although this may have been an unintended consequence of the rule, I think it’s a positive one. On the other hand, granting a waiver almost immediately after joining the team would make NLIs fairly meaningless, and it could create a whole other market for bagmen. I guess that could be negated if there was always a thorough review to ensure there hasn’t been any tampering, but it’s the NCAA so I don’t have a lot of confidence there.

Either way, it’s certainly going to be interesting.

It's definitely going to be interesting.  A lot of this is uncharted territory.

Factors that a committee might consider on Bru's side:

1. Coach Bro bailed only two days after Bru committed.  After his primary recruiter, Tee Martin, left, it looks like some promises were made that have been broken.
2. This is happening prior to NSD2.  If this was two years ago and he wasn't an early enrollee, Bru couldn't have even signed yet.
3. He hasn't even participated in spring practice.

9 minutes ago, SquishMitten said:

Since USC classes started earlier than ours, I assume the add/drop period has ended? If not, I wonder if dropping all classes and unenrolling would be somewhat of a loophole around NCAA rules. At that point, he technically wouldn’t be a student for this semester, and no scholarship money would’ve been used.

I’m worried the NCAA won’t grant the waiver, but it would be a very athlete-friendly position to take if they do. It would fix a lot of the shadiness of getting kids to commit only to see their primary recruiter/coach leave. That’s been a problem for a long time, and although this may have been an unintended consequence of the rule, I think it’s a positive one. On the other hand, granting a waiver almost immediately after joining the team would make NLIs fairly meaningless, and it could create a whole other market for bagmen. I guess that could be negated if there was always a thorough review to ensure there hasn’t been any tampering, but it’s the NCAA so I don’t have a lot of confidence there.

Either way, it’s certainly going to be interesting.

I'm not worried, no way NCAA going to let a team "rent-a-coach" just to get a player signed and not let said player go.  There already is backlash on coaches being able to come and go at will but locking players in. For the same reason USC granted full release from his NLI the NCAA will do the same... they don't want or need bad publicity from it.  Grant waiver and they get the "we're here for the athletes" good publicity.

Earlier in the recruiting process, I remember reading that Bru said Texas coaches told him they think he could play on both sides.  That he would mainly play offense, but they would have a role for him in obvious passing situations on defense to just go after the QB.

I hope this happens for two reasons:

1. Bru is an insane pass rusher

2. I am positive having a 5 star perform on both sides of the ball would be a big draw for future recruits.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, fellside said:

Earlier in the recruiting process, I remember reading that Bru said Texas coaches told him they think he could play on both sides.  That he would mainly play offense, but they would have a role for him in obvious passing situations on defense to just go after the QB.

2. I am positive having a 5 star perform on both sides of the ball would be a big draw for future recruits.

3. Getting him on the field as much as possible will keep him happy. He won't get a ton of WR snaps with CJ ahead of him. Herman needs to do a better job this year at keeping redshirting players happy. 

2 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

3. Getting him on the field as much as possible will keep him happy. He won't get a ton of WR snaps with CJ ahead of him. Herman needs to do a better job this year at keeping redshirting players happy. 

Do a better job blowing teams out and there will be plenty of snaps to around.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

If you are a Texas fan, pee your pants.

If you are an opposing DC, shit your pants.

We need to start blowing some bitches out early in games and get some playing time for some of the younger players. 

Having game ready depth is important. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

The only possibility that McCoy redshirts is if he isn't granted a waiver.  If he's eligible, he's playing every game.

Just now, Rhinotx said:

On Twitter UT players seem to have acknowledged Bru coming to Texas and reports say he is coming here this weekend but any chance he visits with Tee Martin?

I think he probably wants to get to campus asap so he doesn't fall too far behind in school and S&C

Just now, Rhinotx said:

On Twitter UT players seem to have acknowledged Bru coming to Texas and reports say he is coming here this weekend but any chance he visits with Tee Martin?

Don't see how there'd be any time for that, not to mention Tenn wasn't anywhere on his list of potential schools previously.

10 minutes ago, fellside said:

Dude wants to play WR

1 minute ago, fellside said:

Right.  What I'm saying is I remember reading a quote from him about the possibility of playing both and him liking the idea.

I think the general idea is he's dead set on being a WR full time.  If we want to roll him in on situational pass rushing situations, fair enough, it's more time on the field without getting crazy.  But playing WR was always going to be the requirement.

20 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

I'm not worried, no way NCAA going to let a team "rent-a-coach" just to get a player signed and not let said player go.  There already is backlash on coaches being able to come and go at will but locking players in. For the same reason USC granted full release from his NLI the NCAA will do the same... they don't want or need bad publicity from it.  Grant waiver and they get the "we're here for the athletes" good publicity.

I'm afraid that you completely underestimate the stubbornness and stupidity of the NCAA.  

Just now, Beau Vine said:

I'm afraid that you completely underestimate the stubbornness and stupidity of the NCAA.  

All you do with the NCAA is hire a lawyer and threaten to sue.  They cave every single time.

I mean they had Manziel dead to fucking rights on selling autographs.  Should have been suspended a year minimum.  He lawyered up and told the NCAA to pound sand.  They settled on a half game suspension against Rice.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Stampeder said:

I think the general idea is he's dead set on being a WR full time.  If we want to roll him in on situational pass rushing situations, fair enough, it's more time on the field without getting crazy.  But playing WR was always going to be the requirement.

And is he really going to rush the passer better than BJ Foster? no 

10 minutes ago, fellside said:

Right.  What I'm saying is I remember reading a quote from him about the possibility of playing both and him liking the idea.

His dad also gave several quotes saying that he doubts he'd play both sides in college, because it would diminish his ability on his primary side. But we'll see. 

A question about ncaa rules as it relates to Shepard. Given that he is a verbal commit, I believe the coaches are not allowed to say anything about him, right? If so, that might explain why Texas parting ways with him hasn’t made news, if they have. Shepard himself could be refusing to disclose his decommitment, leaving Texas with no easy way to disclose it. Is this possible?

1 minute ago, Dbeasy said:

A question about ncaa rules as it relates to Shepard. Given that he is a verbal commit, I believe the coaches are not allowed to say anything about him, right? If so, that might explain why Texas parting ways with him hasn’t made news, if they have. Shepard himself could be refusing to disclose his decommitment, leaving Texas with no easy way to disclose it. Is this possible?

Yes.  It's also possible that Texas would pull the offer after getting yanked around (but I don't think it will), but Shepard and FWK wouldn't acknowledge that in any tweet because they prefer to spin the narrative of him spurning Texas for aggy (or Bama or wherever the fuck he goes).

3 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

giphy.gif

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Why would we do that? Do we have too many offensive linemen?

6 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

995rs are the ones that do those sort of “parting of ways” articles to get the word out without the school getting involved. But it doesn’t make sense to do it. Shepherd wants his singing day flip moment. Texas isn’t petty enough to ruin that. I’m sure by him not signing on NS1, Texas doesn’t consider him a commitment. I’m sure they are recruiting him though. 

3 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Exactly. agcheme knows what's coming.

I was thinking this morning:  There's not a position grouping on the field that I would swap UT's 2019 recruits with aggy's.  The closest one is TE, in my opinion, which is basically a push.  The next closest is DL, but two of aggy's DL commits are probably gonna get pushed out of the class because of qualification concerns.

Edited by Katfid54