Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

18 minutes ago, CL Horn said:

last logged on to Surly at 2am last night, logged back on around 10pm tonight...just caught up thru 30+ pages - first 20 pages was classic shaggy/surly nothingness, last 10 pages were greatness of Bru being in the portal...I need the update of Bru coming to AUS now!

Attend your Sunday mass.  Swing by the taco shop, pick up breakfast and by the time you return home, you shall have what you desire. 

4 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

#3 in the class rankings is our ceiling. UGA will spend enough money to stay in the top 2, and Bama won't be outdone. 

I'm agnostic on Shepherd. Think of it this way. Shepherd won't be ready to play until 2022. Tommy Brockermeyer will be a redshirt freshman in 2022. Who's starting at LT? The flake with bad weight or the focused, all business player with NFL bloodlines? 

Damn dude I wish you guys would wait till the kid actually flips until you bash him. Fact is he's been a commit for months. The same people who told you he's already flipped behind the scenes also told you to stop worrying about Bru weeks ago. Him having bad weight and being a bit of a flake is a bit of a product of the environment he grew up in with no father figure and a NF program that is scarce in resources. This is why, if things work out, he'll have one of the highest ceilings of all players on campus.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Spider2YBanana said:

We gonna make to 1000 pages, easily. We still have NS2 coming up, and I bet we have another surprise awaiting.

The Bru-Ha-Ha added about 50 pages in 36 hours. That is not just "surprise worthy", that is GAME THREAD worthy.

Other than a Game Thread, I've never seen production like that.

This recruiting is an unfortunate addiction that stifles all other areas of production and requires "Toto Concentwation".

• Haha 1

Honestly the Mccoy situation is reason #172737373818172626551 why you shouldnt sign a LOI if you are that highly recruited or rated. Wouldn't have specifically helped him since he moved in and took classes but no LOI makes it way easier if you aren't an EE and your position coach/head coach/coordinator gets fired or goes elsewhere. Not many guys can get away with it but if you are a top 10 guy in the country...

Curious but if he has not signed the LOI but did go on campus and took classes would it have actually changed anything from a petitioning the NCAA side of things?

• Like 1

Honestly the Mccoy situation is reason #172737373818172626551 why you shouldnt sign a LOI if you are that highly recruited or rated. Wouldn't have specifically helped him since he moved in and took classes but no LOI makes it way easier if you aren't an EE and your position coach/head coach/coordinator gets fired or goes elsewhere. Not many guys can get away with it but if you are a top 10 guy in the country...

Curious but if he has not signed the LOI but did go on campus and took classes would it have actually changed anything from a petitioning the NCAA side of things?

No.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

@TrojanPrincess

On the downfall of the one thing USC still had going for it:

https://reignoftroy.com/2018/11/19/usc-trojans-holiday-gift-guide/

I actually like USC and TrojanPrincess, so this was a depressing read.  Somebody needs to get in there and clean up the mess that Swann and Helton have created.

You have to think after Mike Garrett, Pat Haden, and Swann, some people at U$C might figure out that they shouldn't hire former football players as the AD.  

Without even looking I can tell you he's currently the ninth ranked prospect in the country so...........probably no? 

Just curious. Didn’t Washington win the offensive mvp ? Just wondering if bru was getting a lot of raves like Washington.

Of course he’s ranked higher but just curious if he was getting talked about like Washington ( and Tyler Owens).

is anyone willing to post the two graphics that show how the UT recruits were adjusted in the rankings as well as the one that shows how aggy recruits were adjusted during recruiting? I want to have access but digging through hundreds (or even dozens) of pages is something I would rather not do.

2 minutes ago, mop said:

is anyone willing to post the two graphics that show how the UT recruits were adjusted in the rankings as well as the one that shows how aggy recruits were adjusted during recruiting? I want to have access but digging through hundreds (or even dozens) of pages is something I would rather not do.

Huckleberry is your man

I only did the one for Texas and it was only 247 site rankings, not composite. I think golfclap had the one that tracked composite changes for both schools throughout the year.

Here's mine.

image.png

This was done because of the whining about Owens and one Baylor fan acting like our guys always get a bump when they commit. As you can see, 4 guys got a bump around the time they committed, 3 guys stayed the same, and 16 of our commits dropped when they committed.

Edited by Huckleberry
  • Like 8

19 minutes ago, utexas8 said:

Just curious. Didn’t Washington win the offensive mvp ? Just wondering if bru was getting a lot of raves like Washington.

Of course he’s ranked higher but just curious if he was getting talked about like Washington ( and Tyler Owens).

Washington was MVP if the actual game. Bru was mentioned as being one of the top WRs all week in practice. 

I only did the one for Texas and it was only 247 site rankings, not composite. I think golfclap had the one that tracked composite changes for both schools throughout the year.
Here's mine.
image.png
This was done because of the whining about Owens and one Baylor fan acting like our guys always get a bump when they commit. As you can see, 4 guys got a bump around the time they committed, 3 guys stayed the same, and 16 of our commits dropped when they committed.
Bomc

I wonder how the staff is thinking about Kennedy Lewis at this point. If they redshirt him, does that put him at risk to enter the TP or can he be a program guy? Not saying he does redshirt, it just crosses my mind. On the other hand to the freshman is a guy like Pouncey, who hasn't seen much, if any, PT yet. I assume he's pretty much gone, although I am not cheering for it or anything. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I wonder how the staff is thinking about Kennedy Lewis at this point. If they redshirt him, does that put him at risk to enter the TP or can he be a program guy? Not saying he does redshirt, it just crosses my mind. On the other hand to the freshman is a guy like Pouncey, who hasn't seen much, if any, PT yet. I assume he's pretty much gone, although I am not cheering for it or anything. 

Next few years of balancing guys playing time, the new redshirt rules, and the portal are going to be very interesting. Herman doesn’t seem the type to coddle players, and I think that’s a good thing, but obviously it’s going to lead to some of those issues.

4 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Whittington, Smith, McCoy is good to make the WR room a little crowded 

9 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

#3 in the class rankings is our ceiling. UGA will spend enough money to stay in the top 2, and Bama won't be outdone. 

I'm agnostic on Shepherd. Think of it this way. Shepherd won't be ready to play until 2022. Tommy Brockermeyer will be a redshirt freshman in 2022. Who's starting at LT? The flake with bad weight or the focused, all business player with NFL bloodlines? 

I don't love Shepherd, and he certainly has more value for A&M which has like one good tackle prospect spanning about four classes, including 2020 where they already have four interior prospects committed, but assuming we feel good about him qualifying, he's still a guy who's thick enough in lower half to potentially play guard if we have better tackles, and he's most likely a right tackle if anything. Maybe in year four or five he could be a left tackle. He's also probably better than some of the other high school guys we've been kicking the tires on, like the St. Louis Trinity kid and the Shadow Creek kid. 

I think his risk could be balanced by the high floor of guys like Tyler Johnson, and the studs we're landing in 2020

As for left tackle in 2022, my guess would be a 5th year Jones or Moore, or a 4th year Hookfin 

TLDR: It won't ruin my day if he flips, but I'd prefer to have him than not, assuming he has a good chance of qualifying 

• Like 3

Regardless of some of the WR spots on our roster that seem like they might struggle to see time, I think there's a great likelihood that we might be back to the kind of WR rotation we saw in Herman's first year to get guys touches and time, keeping them engaged. We have a lot of touches between CJ, Jake Smith, Whittington, Washington, Moore, Duverney, Burt, Eagles, Woodard, Epps, Pouncey, etc. I suppose you can just sit Burt if you want, although Id like to see if he's fixed his yips. 

And hopefully at least 1 of 2 things, if not both happen: 

1.) The WR's have been well coached and backups can step in and execute, unlike the shit we say in Herman's first year with his constant insipid rotation
2.) We can actually blow opponents out and close out games and get our backups meaningful reps to keep them engaged. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Probably thinking of him as a guy who'll battle Woodard down the road at Z, and is a definite redshirt. The better one wins, and the lesser one either hangs around for depth and hopes to wait his turn, or transfers. If we land both Demas and Omeire, both could potentially get passed up shortly by Demas

Edited by Fud

Since USC classes started earlier than ours, I assume the add/drop period has ended? If not, I wonder if dropping all classes and unenrolling would be somewhat of a loophole around NCAA rules. At that point, he technically wouldn’t be a student for this semester, and no scholarship money would’ve been used.

I’m worried the NCAA won’t grant the waiver, but it would be a very athlete-friendly position to take if they do. It would fix a lot of the shadiness of getting kids to commit only to see their primary recruiter/coach leave. That’s been a problem for a long time, and although this may have been an unintended consequence of the rule, I think it’s a positive one. On the other hand, granting a waiver almost immediately after joining the team would make NLIs fairly meaningless, and it could create a whole other market for bagmen. I guess that could be negated if there was always a thorough review to ensure there hasn’t been any tampering, but it’s the NCAA so I don’t have a lot of confidence there.

Either way, it’s certainly going to be interesting.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Here's mine.

image.png

Some of those like Wiley have been updated since then