Texas recruiting notes 2019

1 minute ago, BurdineBandit said:

Just gonna drop this little nugget in here: A student [redacted by FERPA] was admitted to the College of Liberal Arts (undeclared) on 1/24 by the Office of Admissions. He (or she) then had an advising bar cleared today.

We'll just say I have access to "inside" information.

Blue Horseshoe Loves Anacott Steel.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, BurdineBandit said:

Just gonna drop this little nugget in here: A student [redacted by FERPA] was admitted to the College of Liberal Arts (undeclared) on 1/24 by the Office of Admissions. He (or she) then had an advising bar cleared today.

tenor.gif?itemid=5884312

17 minutes ago, South Austin said:

I have that condition, too, but it's because I don't switch hands often enough when fapping.

Speaking of getting yanked around...

You're lucky that you're out of eligibility.  Yancy would have you doing double reps left handed to correct the problem ASAP.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, BurdineBandit said:

Port a Potty Girl

Chiropractor 

Admissions Clerk 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, BurdineBandit said:

I'll believe it when Debbie From Facebook posts it.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BurdineBandit said:

aight who was hiding in the admissions bathroom?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, BurdineBandit said:

Normally I could call bullshit on stuff like this but I have no doubt somebody from admissions was giddy to leak this to friends at Texas. Especially after all the excitement yesterday on social media. 

Edited by texasstrong12

1 minute ago, Katfid54 said:

I'm not sure I disagree with this take.

Wouldn’t us having some dead weight, like Pouncey, mean we’re more likely to have transfers? He’s not wrong that, prior to this 2019 class, we didn’t have the best returning talent at WR in the world. 

I do expect Pouncey and probably one of the 2018 guys guys, to transfer if they get passed up by some of the 2019 guys and feel they’re too buried on the depth chart.

2 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Wouldn’t us having some dead weight, like Pouncey, mean we’re more likely to have transfers? He’s not wrong that, prior to this 2019 class, we didn’t have the best returning talent at WR in the world. 

I do expect Pouncey and probably one of the 2018 guys guys, to transfer if they get passed up by some of the 2019 guys and feel they’re too buried on the depth chart.

I wonder if Burt will, too, to go play his final year somewhere where he'll actually get reps.

3 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

I wonder if Burt will, too, to go play his final year somewhere where he'll actually get reps.

I think Burt will have a breakout year. The dropped passes were probably due to lack of confidence. He has good size and excellent speed.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, BurdineBandit said:

FERPA. That's the name of Derka's Fupa.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tired of Lurking said:

Yeah, I can see Moore going to Houston with his brother and Burt and Pouncey heading back to Florida. Need to keep Woodard engaged next season. Hopefully Eagles doesn't get discouraged with McCoy, Washington, and Epps.

Pump the brakes on Moore.  He looked very good in flashes last season in the slot. 

Just now, Tired of Lurking said:

Yeah, I can see Moore going to Houston with his brother and Burt and Pouncey heading back to Florida. Need to keep Woodard engaged next season. Hopefully Eagles doesn't get discouraged with McCoy, Washington, and Epps.

Moore was pretty good before his injury. Eagles should be fine. Let's see the freshmen actually get to campus and practice before we start writing off the upperclassmen.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, SquishMitten said:

I guess that could be negated if there was always a thorough review to ensure there hasn’t been any tampering, but it’s the NCAA so I don’t have a lot of confidence there.

NCAA doesn't have the resources to handle all the new issues that this Transfer Portal for CFB has now created.  Won't be surprised to see some additional transfer rule changes to be added by NCAA in 2019 to provide more clarity going forward.

Some things NCAA might change include:

1) Roster Limits -- Make it a rolling 85-scholly limit, and leave it up to schools as to how and when they fill that number as long as they don’t exceed it.

2) Modify the rigid 25-scholarship limit per year rules that don't account for those who may leave early, don't qualify or exercise their right to transfer.

3) Change rules so that all grad transfers can go to any school that they choose without seeking approval from the school they are leaving.

Edited by LTtxfan

(Chris Hummer) Bru McCoy's in the portal: Now what?

USC five-star early enrollee Bru McCoy entered the transfer portal Thursday afternoon, 247Sports reported. 

Rated as the No. 9 overall prospect in the 247Sports Composite for the 2019 class, McCoy is one of the more unique prospects of a generation. He’ll play receiver in college, but his pass rushing potential has been compared to players like Von Miller. McCoy’s decision to transfer comes on the heels of Kliff Kingsbury leaving the Trojans as offensive coordinator a little over a month after officially taking the job. USC granted McCoy a release from his LOI and McCoy will surely appeal with the NCAA for immediate eligibility through a waiver, much in the way Tate Martell will do so at Miami. 

This decision, made shortly after enrolling at USC, is a momentous one. Not only does this affect recruiting and roster management, but this builds on a mounting narrative of dysfunction at USC while personifying issues with the NCAA’s transfer system. The shockwaves of McCoy’s choice will reverberate in multiple ways. We explore those below:

What This Means For USC

McCoy opting away from USC at the cost of a year of eligibility is a massive blow to the Trojans’ 2019 class and the perception of the program. A California native who grew up rooting for USC, McCoy should’ve been a lock when it came to staying home. That McCoy would opt out of USC so early in his Trojan tenure raises a lot of questions about the program.

Kingsbury's departure played a large role in how this occurred – and we’ll get there – but mostly McCoy’s exit signifies how shaky Clay Helton’s hold on the Trojans has become. McCoy, just a few weeks removed from his commitment, decided it’d be in his best interest to transfer away, potentially costing himself a year of eligibility in doing so.

That does not speak well to the perception of USC, especially when you consider this player grew up with a favorable impression of the Trojans. USC will be fine at receiver next season. Fellow five-star Kyle Ford joins an already elite group on campus. But McCoy's departure impacts much more than the Trojans' on-field product. It’s an indictment of the program’s current lackluster status.

NCAA's Transfer Policy Takes Another Dent

We’ve seen a shift toward player agency in the transfer process with the implementation of the transfer portal. While it’s far from an ideal solution, the portal does give a player the right to explore transferring and to talk with any school – regardless of conference affiliation. Beforehand, they needed permission from their school to contact anyone.

At the same time, McCoy’s situation is a shining example of the flaws that come with the transfer process. McCoy wanted to play for Kingsbury. He would’ve thrived in that offense, a wide-open passing attack that puts the ball in the hands of its playmakers. But just an hour or two after committing to USC on national television, McCoy found out Kingsbury had taken an NFL head coaching job with the Arizona Cardinals.

247Sports, which was on hand for McCoy’s reaction, saw the shock in McCoy’s face. But as an early enrollee who’d signed his paperwork prior to the announcement, McCoy was stuck. He’d been promised tutelage under a certain coach, and less than 24 hours later that coach was living in Arizona.

This is yet another example of the transfer process harming student athletes. McCoy, who will now likely need to sit a year due to NCAA transfer policy, would’ve probably made a different decision had he been given all the information. And while Kingsbury is free to pursue millions on the NFL level, McCoy could well wallow as a redshirt freshman without the opportunity to play. This is despite the fact McCoy could help almost any program from the jump.

Isn’t there something wrong with that picture? The NCAA needs to adopt some sort of common-sense policy that would allow players who signed to at least freely explore other options without penalty if their coach leaves within a certain time period of their signing. This rings especially important considering the amount of coaching movement that occurs after the Early Signing Period.

It’s the right thing to do. Expect situations like McCoy’s to continue a drumbeat for change that’s already swirling in college athletics.

What If McCoy Picks Texas?

The simplest discussion point with this scenario is Texas, which is the overwhelming favorite to land McCoy — likely by the time the weekend's over — after finishing second to USC in the initial recruitment.

At Texas as a wide receiver, McCoy would fit into a role similar to what Lil’Jordan Humphrey had last year. McCoy, shifty in the open field with a powerful frame (6-foot-3, 212 pounds), does a lot of the same things that made Humphrey a devastating slot weapon despite a body type that belies (6-foot-4, 225 pounds) a different skillset.

And while McCoy lacks polish at either of his two potential positions – he played quarterback until eighth grade – his athletic traits project him as a potential star no matter where he lines up.

Given a year in Texas’ strength and conditioning program, something McCoy’s never had in high school due to injuries, McCoy will emerge as a physical freak wherever his body takes him. Adding McCoy to the 2019 class would also elevate the Longhorns’ haul to an elite level. Texas would jump from fifth to third in the 247Sports Composite Team Recruiting Rankings, according to 247Sports’ Class Calculator.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bevo said:

I think Burt will have a breakout year. The dropped passes were probably due to lack of confidence. He has good size and excellent speed.

2 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Call me crazy but if healthy I think Burt can contribute next year. Not saying he's going to put up LJH or CJ stats but I think he can contribute. 

The dude can't catch but he still has speed. I think Herman can find a way to utilize him. 

Where is he gonna get snaps?  CJ has X locked down.  Duvernay has Z locked down.  Burt is not an H receiver.

We need Burt and Moore.  While we seem to have stockpiled some talent at the WR position, they're all still inexperienced as a whole, so we can't assume that any one or more of them are going to immediately step into LJH's position or get a ton of snaps.  Moore looked pretty good before his injury, and Burt is one of the more experienced returning WRs, even though he played sparingly last year (although had a huge 3rd down catch against OU sucks at the Cotton Bowl).

3 minutes ago, Tired of Lurking said:

Moore was coming on strong before his injury and was a legitimate weapon. I'd pump the brakes on transfer talk with him.

33 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

I was thinking this morning:  There's not a position grouping on the field that I would swap UT's 2019 recruits with aggy's.  The closest one is TE, in my opinion, which is basically a push.  The next closest is DL, but two of aggy's DL commits are probably gonna get pushed out of the class because of qualification concerns.

I’d take their TE (I like Liebrock but Cupp is a stud and Their other guy is good too) and S (if you count Williams, Richardson, and Young all as safeties. Young is gonna be a stud of allowed to play Safety and I love Demani’s spin down potential, especially if he were in the big 12). That’s probably it. I might say DL just cuz Leah is absolutely elite and we need a guy like that, but without Mowry and Ellison, It seems like a thin class. Idk enough about Hunter or Jones to say for sure.

2 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

Where is he gonna get snaps?  CJ has X locked down.  Duvernay has Z locked down.  Burt is not an H receiver.

Not only that, but he’s gonna have to compete with Eagles, Woodard, Bru, and Washington just to get the backup reps. 

27 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

I'll believe it when Debbie From Facebook posts it.

20 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Debra. DEBRA!!!

Show some gotdamn respect, Katydid54.

And she’s from Facebok, dude.  Jesus, doesn’t anyone care about accuracy any more?