Texas recruiting notes 2019

6 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

Exactly.  I wouldn't be expecting anyone who redshirts their final year for non injury reasons to have a breakout year.

Wasn't he hurt during fall camp and then unavailable the first few games of the year?   I don't think he redshirts if he started the year healthy.   Burt is still a bigtime deep threat with his speed.  I fully expect him to see snaps next year.

7 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

Exactly.  I wouldn't be expecting anyone who redshirts their final year for non injury reasons to have a breakout year.

Remember when John Harris went from not starting any games to having over 1000 yards his senior year with Tyrone Swoopes at QB? 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

Not sure I agree on the Gaskamp award. And if CJ had left, which was a legit possibility, Burt is not only starting he's probably a primary target. He can certainly play the role of a Z as well with Duverney. 

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

Not sure I agree on the Gaskamp award. And if CJ had left, which was a legit possibility, Burt is not only starting he's probably a primary target. He can certainly play the role of a Z as well with Duverney.  

That reminds me - who would we say won the Gaskamp last year? ERod maybe? Nelson and Davis were already getting a lot of run.

20 minutes ago, Bevo said:

I think Burt will have a breakout year. The dropped passes were probably due to lack of confidence. He has good size and excellent speed.

So you're assuming Burt has worked with a sports psychologist and now he won't drop anymore passes? Where can I send my 9.95?

2 minutes ago, texifornia said:

That reminds me - who would we say won the Gaskamp last year? ERod maybe? Nelson and Davis were already getting a lot of run.

I don't think we had a true Gaskamp winner (at least in the original spirit of the award).   All of our Senior contributors this year had been contributors in previous seasons.  Players like E-Rod and Beck were limited by injuries in the past, but contributed when they were healthy.

15 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Same story, different year:

1. Anyone that RS sucks
  2. Freshmen are going to take all the available snaps
  3. Any kid not starting is going to transfer

Not sure if you are referring to my Burt RS comment?  The list of guys that come in and RS and go on to be studs is too long to list.  The list of guys that play 3 years then RS and go on to be studs isn't quite as long.  That's my only point.  He's certainly on a path less travelled.  I don't have inside info to the coaches telling him to RS with plans to unleash him for his final season.  I am just playing the odds.

17 minutes ago, Daichee Bell said:

He may be the greatest receiver of all time?

Not saying that.  Used Rice as a comparison of Washington's style on the field.  Washington seems like a Swiss Army Knife type of WR with great route running, ability to line up at multiple WR spots, and I'm hoping for Rice's great clutch catching ability.  The kid just seems to have a quiet confidence, "IT" factor about him. 🤘

24 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Folks mock the takes on the football board, but seeing things like "Moore will go to Houston with his brother" and "how will Burt ever get into the lineup" are as hawt a set of fucking takes as I've seen in a while. This isn't an EA Sports game.

Burt redshirted at staff's request with the intention of having him play plenty his senior year. If he's practicing well, he's going to be the first guy off the bench behind CJ and Duvernay, and we've seen that the staff will rotate plenty. Does he wake up after the spring and decide he's done or rolling out? Sure, but he's not bailing because 17 year olds are showing up to take snaps. As to Moore, what the fuck is that even doing being uttered? 

I don’t expect Burt to transfer but I think it’s reaaobable to say he’s a transfer risk just because of his history with drops. If Burt shows good hands in practice, then I expect him to be the backup at both spots and get significant snaps, but If he struggles some catching the ball in practice, how long does the staff leave him at #2 before giving some of our 2018 and 2019 guys more snaps there? Burt’s good and I hope 

Either way, i’d bet someone like Pouncey to be a transfer way ahead of Burt. 

21 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Same story, different year:

1. Anyone that RS sucks
  2. Freshmen are going to take all the available snaps
  3. Any kid not starting is going to transfer

Eh. It’s reasonable to expect some attrition at WR with a class like this. Its like the Safety class last year. With this much talent, they’re gonna beat out some older guys and probably at least one of the older guys transfers. 

14 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

I don't think we had a true Gaskamp winner (at least in the original spirit of the award).   All of our Senior contributors this year had been contributors in previous seasons.  Players like E-Rod and Beck were limited by injuries in the past, but contributed when they were healthy.

I’d say Erod counts. He didn’t really do anything until this year, even if some of it was due to injury.

39 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

Where is he gonna get snaps?  CJ has X locked down.  Duvernay has Z locked down.  Burt is not an H receiver.

If we ever decide to actually put four WRs on the field at once, he could be the other outside guy. Other than that, probably just a rotational guy with Duvernay to see the field with the first team

Just now, LTtxfan said:

Remind me..... What is the Gaskamp Award again?

Google is your friend: https://www.barkingcarnival.com/2009/02/14/russell-gaskamp-award-nominees

Thereafter the award goes annually to the senior that no one expects a damn thing from who has spent much of their career marginalized, ignored, downtrodden, or injured. They're often also goats or players that spark some degree of derision from the fanbase until their breakout year - when thereafter they are remembered fondly, even wistfully: "I always knew he'd be a player!"

6 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

https://www.barkingcarnival.com/2009/02/14/russell-gaskamp-award-nominees

Read it if for no other reason than a CTJ reference.

2008 Henry Melton

"We chuckled when he left spring drills leading on the depth chart at DE - surely Muschamp was engaging in some cruel motivational tactic, akin to Close To Jumping throwing rocks at stragglers during his daughter's childhood soccer tournaments."

giphy.gif

4 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

2008 Henry Melton

"We chuckled when he left spring drills leading on the depth chart at DE - surely Muschamp was engaging in some cruel motivational tactic, akin to Close To Jumping throwing rocks at stragglers during his daughter's childhood soccer tournaments."

giphy.gif

Ask CTJ what it's like being the coach of one of his kid's baseball teams. He'll tell you he's very mild mannered. Then ask the other parents. 

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

Ask CTJ what it's like being the coach of one of his kid's baseball teams. He'll tell you he's very mild mannered. Then ask the other parents. 

CTJ the over the top youth baseball coach is one of the least surprising things ever. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Katfid54 said:

I was thinking this morning:  There's not a position grouping on the field that I would swap UT's 2019 recruits with aggy's.  The closest one is TE, in my opinion, which is basically a push.  The next closest is DL, but two of aggy's DL commits are probably gonna get pushed out of the class because of qualification concerns.

yep.  Actual class evaluation shouldnt be in February, it should be in Sept to see which recruits qualify and make it on the roster. 

IT

We'd work for free if every week was like this one.

THE BRU MCCOY

The second the Southern California five-star hit the portal, Texas contacted him to make certain he still held the strong feelings for the program he did when USC edged out Texas earlier in the month.

It turns out the profile we built of McCoy held, the only issue was he made the mistake of signing his Letter of Intent during the early signing period. That removed any leverage he had.

He went into his USC commitment shaky at best. He was close to Tee Martin throughout the process. That was the Trojans' Drew Mehringer and when Martin left, it gave UT a boost I wasn't sure it would lose. However, UT did lose that favorable standing thanks to the Kliff Kingsbury hiring.

We chronicled how the McCoys were uncertain about USC's administration. Concerns were beyond the head coach and into the AD. Maybe even beyond that if I can speculate. When Helton hired Kingsbury it gave a semblance of stability. Stability was one thing UT had in its distinct favor.

That brings us to the Sugar Bowl. It was already clear that Tom Herman was the long-term answer for Texas, but now he had the appearance of a potential great. With Sam Ehlinger's predictable rise, UT has a trigger-man to offer hope for the next two years. UT was done talking the talk and started walking the walk.

Before the Sugar Bowl we heard that if UT won that game, the staff felt it could make a credible run to regain momentum in McCoys direction. The win happened, McCoy was still liking Texas despite having signed, there was just one hurdle.

On the other side of that hurdle is a slippery slope. If I can harness my boy Jimmy Gards harnessing Matthew McConaughey for a moment: El-i-gi-bil-ity, kemosabes.

Per sources, there are still some things to be straightened out. We have heard Clay Helton released McCoy from his LOI, but in order to play immediately he’d still have to appeal to the NCAA. Since he took classes, he’d likely be a standard transfer - sit one full season - unless that appeal goes favorably.

What's telling is he wanted to be at UT even if he needs to red-shirt. One hang up we had when we first heard the news on Tuesday is if he'd be willing to sit. Perhaps he'd be willing to endure three years at USC and bounce for NFL money. In the end the math is the same, if he does have to red-shirt, he may still hit the NFL in the same amount of time.

We've written how all that matters is 2020. We don't want to write off 2019 because what happens next season affects the one after, but what's important is McCoy will be on the field when UT needs him most.

We expect him on campus as soon as Saturday. Westside, right on time, imo. PYBD. NSFW. Etc.

LAKIA HENRY

Coming out of Dodge City (Community College) like Wyatt Earp and Gary Johnson is linebacker Lakia Henry who is scheduled to visit Texas this weekend. We think, still checking on that. It may be next weekend.

Texas has always liked his ability but this is more of a job interview that needs to be passed, not unlike players meeting with GM's ahead of the draft. The staff has put itself in a great position to where Henry isn't a dire need, though he could potentially be a day-one starter.

O-LINE

There may be a few other visitors. We're still gathering information as we've been focused on Bru. Grad transfers RJ Proctor (Virginia) and Drew Richmond (Tennessee) are strong candidates to visit UT in the near future. Offensive line coach Herb Hand is scanning the country looking for another offensive lineman or two to take who provide immediate competition.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

https://www.barkingcarnival.com/2009/02/14/russell-gaskamp-award-nominees

Read it if for no other reason than a CTJ reference.

Ha. I'd forgotten about threads like that long ago, when many of us were still friends. I enjoyed reading this comment from myself in the time machine of that thread:

Listen, how can you put together a list like this and not present us with Marcus Wilkins as one of your primary examples? That is a travesty. Oh man.

I will grease my buttocks in napalm and light my crotch-eral region on fire if Ben Alexander has any kind of impact on the team next year.

I don’t see a senior on the roster with a shot. They are either playing, or they won’t play at all. I don’t think Bailey can count,as someone above points out. No one is really down on him and he’s had big impacts previously.

My best guess is Josh Marshall. He’s yet to play much at all and we need a TE or flex TE to step up. If Grant does it, great. Seems like Marshall might as well.

Posted  by CloseToJumping  on Feb 14, 2009 | 5:51 PM

10 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

8 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

CTJ the over the top youth baseball coach is one of the least surprising things ever. 

Dickheads. Yeah, that's the kind of stereotype I actively work against and personally despise when I see it. SydneyCarton is being a lazy dick.  My oldest boy isn't currently very good, but he likes it and they needed volunteers. There are dads out there that put winning above everything, and it makes me sad and irritated when I see it. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Dickheads. Yeah, that's the kind of stereotype I actively work against and personally despise when I see it. SydneyCarton is being a lazy dick.  My oldest boy isn't currently very good, but he likes it and they needed volunteers. There are dads out there that put winning above everything, and it makes me sad and irritated when I see it. 

Well...I mean, yeah. Absolutely. Was that in question somewhere? 

4 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Yeah. That's why I'm fucking laughing. 

1 hour ago, Bevo said:

I think Burt will have a breakout year. The dropped passes were probably due to lack of confidence. He has good size and excellent speed.

I think he needs to not run track this year and concentrate on his football skill set.  It's very hard to compete in another sport during spring and summer and then expect compete against equal or better talent in Sept. Running fast doesnt mean squat unless you have the ball in your hands or you end up tackling someone