Texas recruiting notes 2019

Is there a group of fans or posters out there who think that Kris Boyd sucks? He’s an irritating player, but we could do a shit ton worse. 

He has great hands wrt knocking the ball loose as a WR is making a catch. However those same WR are behind him way too often for a high draft pick type player.

And he does stupid shit. Like get personal fouls.

BUT his replacement won’t be better.

8 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Is there a group of fans or posters out there who think that Kris Boyd sucks? He’s an irritating player, but we could do a shit ton worse. 

Actually quite a few which is something. Based on several mock drafts he could be the top pick from our team this year even if LJH and CJ declare. 

Edited by texasstrong12

Just now, Gardner Barnes said:

He has great hands wrt knocking the ball loose as a WR is making a catch. However those same WR are behind him way too often for a high draft pick type player.

He's also great in run support and in the short passing game.

The argument isn't whether he's a high draft pick but if the defense is better when he's on the field, which it is.

Just now, Revolution512 said:

Texas fans will wish Boyd and Davis were back next season.

Davis got Clay Jennings'd, which ruined nearly two years of his career at Texas.

He was a very good CB2 this year, and anyone who watched the Texas Tech game this year would recognize that his graduation will be a loss for us.

• Like 3

Good to know. I’ve always assumed he’ll be drafted in the middle rounds and have a middling career that shows flashes and frustrates the fans of whatever team that drafts him. 

Apparently Cook and Green look good and they’re excited about their future. I do believe that we’ll go backwards at CB next year. Frankly, I see 9 wins as the ceiling next year because of talent loss, which includes both corners. I agree with others that Hagar won’t be missed, but we’ll miss Omenhihu and Johnson on the defense as well. 

The losses would make you think there's a drop off on defense next year but our defense is currently 55th in S&P+ defense. I don't know how that translates in terms of wins next year but I bet we don't finish worse than 55th under Orlando. 

I think the corners and Omenihu will be losses. Hager not so much. I think people are overvaluing the loss of Johnson. I know it was Kansas but Texas was fine defensively without Johnson. Johnson is a plus athlete but IMO has below average instincts. This Johnson take is probably going to have some interesting responses. 

Just now, texasstrong12 said:

I think the corners and Omenihu will be losses. Hager not so much. I think people are overvaluing the loss of Johnson. I know it was Kansas but Texas was fine defensively without Johnson. Johnson is a plus athlete but IMO has below average instincts. This Johnson take is probably going to have some interesting responses. 

I actually don't disagree with you on Gary after watching him this year, but the question is who will we replace him with? Caleb Johnson might not even be able to practice until the end of spring ball, Overshown might not be ready, and the other options are either uninspiring or true freshmen.

10 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I’ve always assumed he’ll be drafted in the middle rounds and have a middling career that shows flashes and frustrates the fans of whatever team that drafts him. 

A NFL team is going to move him to nickel or safety and he's going to be a good NFL player. As Machinator said above Boyd is actually really good in run support. I've always thought if you make Boyd a roamer instead of coverage guy he would be a better fit. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Ya on the football board a hot take is Boyd doesn’t suck. Apparently as a DB, you should never give up a pass completion or you’re hot garbage.

1 minute ago, texasstrong12 said:

This Johnson take is probably going to have some interesting responses. 

yeah, because he was our best player on defense.

But, I disagree with CTJ. We will have some young guys step up and we will have some transfers appear and our defense will be fine.

5 minutes ago, Machinator said:

I actually don't disagree with you on Gary after watching him this year, but the question is who will we replace him with? Caleb Johnson might not even be able to practice until the end of spring ball, Overshown might not be ready, and the other options are either uninspiring or true freshmen.

Hopefully, Caleb Johnson is healthy. I actually think he's better than Gary. 

I can't remember who said Caleb is a tier below Gary in terms of athleticism but a much better instinctual player. I agree with that take. 

8 minutes ago, Bevo said:

yeah, because he was our best player on defense.

But, I disagree with CTJ. We will have some young guys step up and we will have some transfers appear and our defense will be fine.

Nah. Omenihu was definitely our best defensive player this year. 

I can also make an argument for both the corners and B. Jones when healthy. People have a skewed perception of our secondary because of the Big 12. Playing corner in this league is hell and Boyd did a pretty good job on most team's #1 option in single coverage most of the year. 

I would definitely have Boyd and Omenihu ahead of Johnson. 

Edited by texasstrong12

Just now, Machinator said:

Omenihu was our best player on defense.

Johnson added fire to the defense when he played. Omenihu just quietly did his job. IMO, it is just two different ways of looking at things. It seemed to me that when Johnson was subbed against good teams we took a larger step back than when Omenihu was substituted.

Boyd led the league in passes defended the last two years.

I'm pretty sure he's got the most snaps by any DB in the league in his career.

He also was lined up against the other team's top receivers consistently.

He also seemed to get 1-2 penalties per game, guaranteed. I think that's where most of the frustration comes from.

But we will miss him next year, I'm sure. Athletes like him don't grow on trees.

• Like 4

I think we’ll take a step back next with CB but not a huge drop off. Cook showed promise in defending the pass and run, while green is supposedly doing well in practice. But after that I don’t really have a lot of faith in our depth, which is going to be a problem. 

We aren't really accounting for the turnover of all the ridiculous qb's  we faced this year. No Murray or grier. Brewer will be better.  Not sure what to expect from tech. Ok state will throw someone out there but could face growing pains. The kansas school's I don't see being a huge passing threat. Purdy will be better but do they have that big wr back? Tcu is in dire need of a qb.

In other words,  our cb's will be learning on job as much as the qbs they will be facing. We might be a little better than anticipated right now. 

Recruiting related,  I wanna see what Watson can do. Glad we hung onto him and didn't fuck it up. 

• Like 1

On offense we're returning all of our best skill players. If Hand continues his good work with the O-line and we find some good RB depth between now and September 2019 we should see another leap forward for the offense.

Hopefully more than enough to negate what we lose on defense.

Edited by satyanash
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, CHEF RIBS W/ THE HAMM YALL said:

Boyd led the league in passes defended the last two years.

I'm pretty sure he's got the most snaps by any DB in the league in his career.

He also was lined up against the other team's top receivers consistently.

He also seemed to get 1-2 penalties per game, guaranteed. I think that's where most of the frustration comes from.

But we will miss him next year, I'm sure. Athletes like him don't grow on trees.

And he’d get beat on a double move once or twice a game, whether it resulted in a long completion or not. 

But considering who he’s been covering, mostly without safety help, he’s been a real good player. 

Big 12 offenses are scheme dependent, so I would not count on QB or WR turnover to make things materially easier on our defenders. In some respects, the learning curve for DB’s is steeper than it is for offenses as they have multiple potential responsibilities based on the coverage call.

Now, if coaches like Riley or Holgo move on and those schools have to implement new schemes then that could certainly make things easier for a period of time.

1 minute ago, Butch Had Not said:

We aren't really accounting for the turnover of all the ridiculous qb's  we faced this year. No Murray or grier. Brewer will be better.  Not sure what to expect from tech. Ok state will throw someone out there but could face growing pains. The kansas school's I don't see being a huge passing threat. Purdy will be better but do they have that big wr back? Tcu is in dire need of a qb.

In other words,  our cb's will be learning on job as much as the qbs they will be facing. We might be a little better than anticipated right now. 

True enough. What's also true, though, is that when one of our younger CBs gets burned, it will likely be a completed pass. With Boyd, I lost track of how many of his pass breakups were actually him knocking the ball out of the receiver's hands at the last possible second. It reminded me of my approach to academics, actually. Why do now what you can do at the last possible second?

7 minutes ago, satyanash said:

On offense we're returning all of our best skill players. If Hand continues his good work with the O-line and we find some good RB depth between now and September 2019 we should see another leap forward for the offense.

It would be nice to replace Vahe with Dallas Warmack. We need a left tackle more, though.

1 hour ago, Newy25 said:

IT could be good with Nahlin’s insights but they have their heterosexual version of EJ, Justin Wells who is shamelessly peddling false hope on recruits to generate clicks. That puts them in the National Enquire category right there with the other sites. 

Comparing Wells to EJ is amusing 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Butch Had Not said:

I love how we dream on players when they sign and had all these projections for them and here we are again with another jag.

Generally the yield on a recruiting class of 25 consists of about 10-12 contributors, with the rest either transferring, quitting, or simply riding the bench for 4 years. 

7 minutes ago, DoneWithit said:

11 days after the early signing period. Kids that committed should get a chance to sign off if they want to

Their signing class was already shit after Diaz left. Richt screwed Miami. They could have hired Diaz and been in much better shape from a recruiting perspective. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Butch Had Not said:

Recruiting related,  I wanna see what Watson can do. Glad we hung onto him and didn't fuck it up. 

14 minutes ago, RichUT said:

Big 12 offenses are scheme dependent, so I would not count on QB or WR turnover to make things materially easier on our defenders. In some respects, the learning curve for DB’s is steeper than it is for offenses as they have multiple potential responsibilities based on the coverage call.

Now, if coaches like Riley or Holgo move on and those schools have to implement new schemes then that could certainly make things easier for a period of time.

Yeah, I had the opinion we'd have an easier time this year with the QB turnover from 2017 to 2018. However, remember, in 2017, we faced...

• Sam Darnold (#3 pick in NFL Draft, #2 QB taken)
  • Baker Mayfield (#1 pick in NFL Draft, #1 QB taken, Heisman winner)
  • Mason Rudolph (#76 pick in NFL Draft, #6 QB taken)
  • Charlie Brewer (most accurate HS QB in history or something)
  • Kenny Hill (playing for CFL team now)
  • Will Grier (projected to go in Rounds #1-4 this year)
  • Drew Lock (projected to be #1 QB taken this year)

That's about as much of a murderer's row of QBs as a team could face, and I believe our defense regressed this year.

59 minutes ago, Butch Had Not said:

If Holgo moves on then the 2 Oklahoma schools may the only air raid teams left.  We get Oklahoma State to start out conference play next year and no telling who they'll have at QB and the 1st three games for them are 2 scrubs and Oregon State.  

WVU QB looks like garbage and TCU all around looks like a hot mess. 

Like you said the Kansas schools wont be much of passing threats.

@ISU may be the toughest game next year, but if Butler and Montgomery leave then that changes things big time for that offense.

Edited by Elmer_Fudd

1 hour ago, Gardner Barnes said:

BUT his replacement won’t be better.

We'll see.I like what I saw from Anthony Cook this season. My concern is the other CB spot. 

Boyd is such a good athlete you have to take him, but his football IQ is very low. It also didn't help that Charlie Strong coached him for two years. I think he'll have a good combine and some NFL coach will spot something they can fix, and they'll take Boyd in the third round.