Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

Boyd was constantly matched up against the best WR in a year where most teams we faced had NFL caliber WRs.  Is he a top 1st round pick? no.  Can he hang and hold his own? Yes.  I expect him to go 3rd-5th round.  He's going to absolutely kill the combine.  The guy is a freakish athlete.  

It's going to hurt because we're losing 2 Sr CBs that had a lot of playing experience and replacing them with underclassmen with very little experience.  We will see a drop off next year but I think Green and Cook will be insanely good their junior years.  I think the reason many of don't have a good taste in our mouth is the terrible penalties we've seen from Boyd in crucial moments.

Edited by victory88

If Holgo moves on then the 2 Oklahoma schools may the only air raid teams left.  We get Oklahoma State to start out conference play next year and no telling who they'll have at QB and the 1st three games for them are 2 scrubs and Oregon State.  
WVU QB looks like garbage and TCU all around looks like a hot mess. 
Like you said the Kansas schools wont be much of passing threats.
@ISU may be the toughest game next year, but if Butler and Montgomery leave then that changes things big time for that offense.
This conference is ripe for the taking next year and somehow we'll find a way not to win it.
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

So, has Bru already signed yet?

I think he's already signed with USC. An often overlooked element is that Bru's dad and Lynn Swann are tight. 

Such a strange recruitment that only USC could pull off. Kingsbury was his primary recruiter despite only knowing the young man for a few days. Helton used his in home with Bru to attend one of his playoff games. Every update from the USC side is about Kingsbury and Bru. It's almost like USC is acknowledging Helton sucks, and they're deliberately keeping him away from Bru. 

Yet, he signed up to play for Helton. 

1 minute ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I think he's already signed with USC. An often overlooked element is that Bru's dad and Lynn Swann are tight. 

Such a strange recruitment that only USC could pull off. Kingsbury was his primary recruiter despite only knowing the young man for a few days. Helton used his in home with Bru to attend one of his playoff games. Every update from the USC side is about Kingsbury and Bru. It's almost like USC is acknowledging Helton sucks, and they're deliberately keeping him away from Bru. 

Yet, he signed up to play for Helton. 

TFB has an update on this ( VIP ).  Super K tweeted something about if McCoy has signed or not.

7 minutes ago, victory88 said:

Yup!  That job is perfect for him.  They've got good athletes and he can dominate that conference easily.  Use it as a stepping stone to a bigger P5 job.  

If you win there, Fertitta will pay the HC enough to keep him comfortable. But it's double edged sword, Fertitta expects results. As evidenced by Major, it's not a low pressure job. 

He was looking for any excuse to sign with SC.   He was never fucking coming here.  He has stated multiple times that USC is his dream school.  All his best friends play there.  He’s signing up to play for a dead man walking and he knows it but doesn’t care.

Edited by victory88
  • Like 3

The Texas staff should and has to chase big fish out of state, but they have to identify kids that want to leave home. All it takes is a couple conversations with the kid, his family and his coaches. Maybe a couple weeks of due diligence. If they want to stay home, don't waste time and resources trying to chip away. 

Trey Sanders didn't. Bru probably won't either. 

Guys like DeGabriel Floyd were looking to get on the first thing smoking out of California. 

The very second Herman found out that both Cain's parents went to Penn State, he should have offered another RB. 

The in state options weren't pretty this year. I get it, but prioritize a guy like Stevenson much earlier in the process. 

I'd like to hear why Texas showed absolutely no interest in Daimarqua Foster. The guy can play and is probably the second best in state back after Spiller. Heck, he might be better than Spiller. 

Just now, Fire Jack Chevigny said:

A shit ton of them on the football board.

I mean, I go to the Football board often and read threads that interest me, so I guess it’s just an inattentive blindness thing for me. I’ve been on football forums for 21 years now and I guess I can see what a thread is by the title and OP and know most of the time to avoid it. Along those lines, I cannot imagine reading and participating in a game thread. The level of unhinged hysterics has to be breathtaking. Usually, if Texas is getting rolled unexpectedly or just off to a slow start, my buddies wlll pull the Football board while we’re watching the game at the bar and just guffaw at the absurd bullshit in titles alone. So I get what y’all are saying now that I think about it. 

5 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

The very second Herman found out that both Cain's parents went to Penn State, he should have offered another RB. 

The in state options weren't pretty this year. I get it, but prioritize a guy like Stevenson much earlier in the process. 

I'd like to hear why Texas showed absolutely no interest in Daimarqua Foster. The guy can play and is probably the second best in state back after Spiller. Heck, he might be better than Spiller. 

I'm amazed that both his parents went to Penn State and it wasn't widely reported on during his recruitment.  This is the first time I've seen it mentioned and I follow this thread much too closely. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I mean, I go to the Football board often and read threads that interest me, so I guess it’s just an inattentive blindness thing for me. I’ve been on football forums for 21 years now and I guess I can see what a thread is by the title and OP and know most of the time to avoid it. Along those lines, I cannot imagine reading and participating in a game thread. The level of unhinged hysterics has to be breathtaking. Usually, if Texas is getting rolled unexpectedly or just off to a slow start, my buddies wlll pull the Football board while we’re watching the game at the bar and just guffaw at the absurd bullshit in titles alone. So I get what y’all are saying now that I think about it. 

Orangebloods is hilarious during games. If Texas has a slow start, not a loss, just a slow start, the whole board melts down. 

3 minutes ago, Butch Had Not said:

Maybe his parents both went to TCU.

Pretty decent article on Foster. Sounds like a good kid. He said he chose TCU because of LT. https://www.timesrecordnews.com/story/sports/high-school/football/2018/12/19/hirschi-huskies-daimarqua-foster-wichita-falls-football-tcu-horned-frogs-national-signing-day/2367151002/

1 minute ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Well, we weren't the only big school not looking at him per that article. 

If we did offer, then the consensus here would be that he isn't worthy of texas, we should have saved the ship, just look at his offer list. 

You're damned if you do damned if you don't. 

Just now, Butch Had Not said:

Well, we weren't the only big school not looking at him per that article. 

If we did offer, then the consensus here would be that he isn't worthy of texas, we should have saved the ship, just look at his offer list. 

You're damned if you do damned if you don't. 

I remember @Fud really liked him as a RB2 candidate. Love or hate him, Fud watches a lot of film. 

10 minutes ago, Sabalo said:

I'm amazed that both his parents went to Penn State and it wasn't widely reported on during his recruitment.  This is the first time I've seen it mentioned and I follow this thread much too closely. 

It wasn't widely reported. I think it was only really discussed on Penn State boards. 

Normally, I'd say the legacy thing isn't a huge factor, but... Penn State is basically Pennsylvania Aggy with a lot more recent success. 

6 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

I don’t believe KK would take that job right now. His public comments suggest he wants to decompress and just be a pure ball coach without all the other stuff.  That said, I don’t believe it has any bearing on Bru McCoy. 

Yeah I agree. Bru knows kk is only going to be there for a year. But he also knows that if Helton gets fired; usc will attract a big name coach and that’s fine with him. It’s his dream school so only getting a couple good years means it was worth it, even if going to Texas means your whole time there will be overall better, still doesn’t matter to bru. 

Edited by DoneWithit

2 minutes ago, DoneWithit said:

Yeah I agree. Bru knows kk is only going to be there for a year. But he also knows that if Helton gets fired; usc will attract a big name coach and that’s fine with him. It’s his dream school so only getting a couple good years means it was worth it, even if going to Texas means your whole time there will be overall better, still doesn’t matter to bru. 

Jack Del Rio is a big name? You do understand USC's hiring policy right? 

2 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Jack Del Rio is a big name? You do understand USC's hiring policy right? 

I honestly don’t think they’ll hire del rio even if that’s how they do the hiring. I don’t know why people assume it’ll be del rio. There are better coaches that usc can get IF Helton leaves. 

I only say IF because what if hypothetically kk gets the offense rolling and they upset some teams and manage to get a 9 win season(that’s including their bowl win). Kk is gone but do they stick with Helton? I wouldn’t but you can’t fire a 9win coach

9 minutes ago, DoneWithit said:

I honestly don’t think they’ll hire del rio even if that’s how they do the hiring. I don’t know why people assume it’ll be del rio. There are better coaches that usc can get IF Helton leaves. 

I only say IF because what if hypothetically kk gets the offense rolling and they upset some teams and manage to get a 9 win season(that’s including their bowl win). Kk is gone but do they stick with Helton? I wouldn’t but you can’t fire a 9win coach

It's not the del rio would be the hire,  it's that USC will undoubtedly make a bad hire based on their track record and the incessant desire to choose someone that is connected with the school. 

Nick saban could walk up to Lynn Swann tomorrow and say that he wants to be their coach but even then I am not convinced that they would actually be able to land him. 

4 minutes ago, satyanash said:

SIAP, Jake Smith just withdrew from the Under Armour AA game in Orlando.

Piss-poor reporting by USA Today doesn't say anything at all about what kind of injury we're talking about, but apparently he was injured before he even showed up in Orlando. Here's to hoping it's minor.

6 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

Piss-poor reporting by USA Today doesn't say anything at all about what kind of injury we're talking about, but apparently he was injured before he even showed up in Orlando. Here's to hoping it's minor.

Maybe he just wants to get right before lacrosse season. 

• Like 1