Super Bowl LIII

RPM

So Rams d played well but not the Pats? Ummm ok.
Sure pats d played well but that doesnt change that rams off looked non existent since kickoff... I swear if you dont type it in big letters people here cant infer

I mentioned like 3 times bill is greatest defensive coach to walk earth...but i need to spell out that a solid d doesnt excuse bad offense and qb throwing ducks

17 minutes ago, Bone3421 said:

Sure pats d played well but that doesnt change that rams off looked non existent since kickoff... I swear if you dont type it in big letters people here cant infer

I mentioned like 3 times bill is greatest defensive coach to walk earth...but i need to spell out that a solid d doesnt excuse bad offense and qb throwing ducks

Since you love to nitpick Brady. How about Bill's defense last year? Pats defense this year was fucking trash, too. This game was an outlier.

Works both ways. You can't trash and nitpick Brady and then ignore Bill's faults in certain games.

But I'm curious what your excuses will be when Brady gets #7 soon.  Because its coming.

I think Romo said it best.   Bill knows your tendencies so unless you're going to throw out your playbook and do something fucking crazy like run the wing T he already has you figured out.  The Pat's D was in better position for most of the plays than the Rams O was because they knew exactly what was being run.  That mother fucker has a cheat code. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, FartingMonk said:

I think Romo said it best.   Bill knows your tendencies so unless you're going to throw out your playbook and do something fucking crazy like run the wing T he already has you figured out.  The Pat's D was in better position for most of the plays than the Rams O was because they knew exactly what was being run.  That mother fucker has a cheat code. 

Well he didn't have that code last year that is for sure...

Since you love to nitpick Brady. How about Bill's defense last year? Pats defense this year was fucking trash, too. This game was an outlier.
Works both ways. You can't trash and nitpick Brady and then ignore Bill's faults in certain games.
But I'm curious what your excuses will be when Brady gets #7 soon.  Because its coming.
I only nit pick when talking goat...which has been stated

Pats d was bad at start of season but when you play in the afc east you have 16 weeks to fix it...bill does what he does just like saban more than not ...has a great plan after 2 weeks or more of planning. Yet still doesnt mean Goff wasnt rattled since go and throwing ducks. Im sorry you cant have more than two conversations at once

3 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

Well he didn't have that code last year that is for sure...

that was the thing.  he didn't have a whole season of Nick Foles with the Eagles to watch.  Their OC was still basically making up packages for Nick Foles as the playoffs went on so his sample size was a lot smaller.  

Good article by Peter King about how McDaniels went to their Jumbo set late In the 4th in order to get the Rams out of their defensive sets. That’s went they got in those three plays in a row and eventually scored. It was something they hadn’t planned on all week.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bone3421 said:

I only nit pick when talking goat...which has been stated

Pats d was bad at start of season but when you play in the afc east you have 16 weeks to fix it...bill does what he does just like saban more than not ...has a great plan after 2 weeks or more of planning. Yet still doesnt mean Goff wasnt rattled since go and throwing ducks. Im sorry you cant have more than two conversations at once

Ah, I see this is the first time you've watched Goff play. 

18 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

DyiWod-UwAApQQo?format=jpg&name=large

Lemme tell you something about these tattoos, okay?! That is Buddhist, that is Nordic, that is Hindu, that's just gibberish- they are completely conflicting ideologies, and that does not make you a citizen of the world, it makes you full of shit!

/Forgetting Sarah Marshall

7 hours ago, GopherRock said:

When was the least really good Super Bowl commercial? They have stunk the last few years. 

They've sucked since they started releasing them on the internet early. Which seems pointless to me. Why spend 4 million dollars on an ad spot only to release it early and kill the novelty of it?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RPM said:

I turned off the game with under 2 min left. Missed all the postgame hubbub. But apparently the MVP was Tracy Wolfson.

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2019/2/3/18209980/cbs-tracy-wolfson-postgame-scrum-super-bowl-53

She braved the crowd to ask a few inane questions that could've waited. So MVP. Sure.

But that mob was pretty weird. It looked like when college fans swarm the field after a big win except it was all media folks around Brady.

49 minutes ago, Mac8111 said:

Good article by Peter King about how McDaniels went to their Jumbo set late In the 4th in order to get the Rams out of their defensive sets. That’s went they got in those three plays in a row and eventually scored. It was something they hadn’t planned on all week.

That's what was so frustrating about watching this game. The Rams didn't make any significant adjustments. Hardly ever rolled Goff away from pressure, no misdirection, no hurry up offense. Not that it would have worked but at least break up the routine.

Was it the Bucs super bowl in the early 2000s where you heard them say audibly they knew everything the raiders were gonna run?

Was it the Bucs super bowl in the early 2000s where you heard them say audibly they knew everything the raiders were gonna run?
That was due to them having Gruden and he knew the Raiders inside and out since he was the one who built them and they didn't change much since he left. I think they had 3 defensive TDs that game or something. Also the last time they've really been relevant.

1 hour ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Among the Super Bowl records set: Fewest points by both teams (16); fewest points by the winning team (13); fewest combined points through three quarters (6); most consecutive drives ending with a punt (8 by the Rams); longest punt (65 yards).

The punting was really strong last night. World Championship level punting. Julian Edelman wasn't the real MVP.

1 hour ago, Bartles said:

That's what was so frustrating about watching this game. The Rams didn't make any significant adjustments. Hardly ever rolled Goff away from pressure, no misdirection, no hurry up offense. Not that it would have worked but at least break up the routine.

Sean McVay is a total fraud. I know Belichick is this defense genius but come now.

8 hours ago, TexasMan said:

To further illustrate my point, these 3 consecutive plays were more interesting/exciting than anything today's super bowl had to offer:

I was so disappointed when the Giants ran back that kickoff. I wanted to see the first shut out in Super Bowl history.

2 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Sean McVay is a total fraud. I know Belichick is this defense genius but come now.

Jerrod Goff isn't particularly good. He may even be bad. McVay took the mess that Fisher left them, and took them to the Super Bowl with the league's 2nd highest scoring offense in year two. Let's not got too far the other direction because of one awful game.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Jerrod Goff isn't particularly good. He may even be bad. McVay took the mess that Fisher left them, and took them to the Super Bowl with the league's 2nd highest scoring offense in year two. Let's not got too far the other direction because of one awful game.

Good point.

I kept hoping Goff would pretend that was Charlie Strong's Texas team over there. You look over at Charlie Strong's Texas defense and it is all about sucking against Cal.

Edited by Valmy77
  • Like 1

I can't call someone a total fraud after one game. Now his worst game did happen to be in his biggest so that will magnify it. But up to this point, McVay made Goff. He was the one on his ear and made all the pre snap adjustments based on the defense he saw. He was great at this. Hence why Goff took off once McVay replaced Fisher.

The thing about the Rams is they went all in for this year. They gave up a lot of draft picks. They signed guys to big deals. Goffs rookie deal will be ending in a few years. In today's league, their roster was loaded all over. It's not going to stay that way. Curious to see how it shakes out for them going forward.

One thing is I'm not real impressed with Goff. He has yet to really play a good playoff game himself. He still looks lost so often.

Also, where was the short passing game last night? It seemed too many of their plays were longer routes down field.

Just now, Vic Mackey said:

Also, where was the short passing game last night? It seemed too many of their plays were longer routes down field.

I think it was blanketed by the Pats. Everytime they showed what Goff was looking at, it was hard to see where he had anywhere to go with the ball.

5 minutes ago, Bevo VIII said:

One could say that Jason McCourty could have been the MVP. That play he made in the back of the end zone completely changed the game.

I think Romo had that one wrong. Was it McCourty on that one?

Edited by aggie08

The best word to describe Super Bowl LIII is unremarkable.  Both teams were unremarkable in so many ways (except the punters as mentioned above). Brady was pretty pedestrian (for Brady) and other than hitting the one big pass that set up the touchdown, didn't seem to make the big plays in big situations we are used to seeing. Some of that was the Rams and some of that was the Patriots executing at a level below what we are used to seeing. In the end they got the job done. The Rams offense was a hot mess and their offensive line was abused so badly that Goff was feeling pressure well before it got there (the interception was a good example. Had he stepped into that throw, it wouldn't have been picked). As much as you want to credit the defense, the offenses made it easy with all of the mistakes and bad play.  Not a great or entertaining game by any stretch.  An example of an entertaining defensive game was Saints/Cowboys earlier this year. This was not that. 

Everything else around the game was unremarkable as well. Thought Gladys Knight was good, but halftime was meh. The only real energy at my neighborhood Super Bowl bash were the gasps of excitement from the suburban moms when Adam Levine ripped off his shirt but that is about all you can say about Maroon 5 and friends. Not much was said about Atlanta the host city this week either so again, to sum up the Super Bowl LIII experience - unremarkable.

13 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

I think Romo had that one wrong. Was it McCourty on that one?

Nevermind, I'm an idiot. Forgot that there's two McCourty's in the Patriots' defensive backfield. It was Jason on that play, with Devin coming into the screen late.

Edited by aggie08

Nevermind, I'm an idiot. Forgot that there's two McCourty's in the Patriots' defensive backfield. It was Jason on that play, with Devin coming into the screen late.

Literally the play of the game imo. I’d love to see the end zone coaches cam view of it to see how much ground he covered and when he recognized he had to get there.

2 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

I can't call someone a total fraud after one game. Now his worst game did happen to be in his biggest so that will magnify it. But up to this point, McVay made Goff. He was the one on his ear and made all the pre snap adjustments based on the defense he saw. He was great at this. Hence why Goff took off once McVay replaced Fisher.

The thing about the Rams is they went all in for this year. They gave up a lot of draft picks. They signed guys to big deals. Goffs rookie deal will be ending in a few years. In today's league, their roster was loaded all over. It's not going to stay that way. Curious to see how it shakes out for them going forward.

One thing is I'm not real impressed with Goff. He has yet to really play a good playoff game himself. He still looks lost so often.

What does it mean then that the Patriots beat them with maybe the most pedestrian Super Bowl roster I've ever personally seen?

18 minutes ago, Bevo VIII said:

Literally the play of the game imo. I’d love to see the end zone coaches cam view of it to see how much ground he covered and when he recognized he had to get there.

Goff's pass was a duck, had it been a laser, easy TD. Even if it was lower, Woods could have gathered it in with the oncoming hit/swipe becoming irrelevant. 

2 hours ago, PencilPusher said:

Everything else around the game was unremarkable as well. Thought Gladys Knight was good, but halftime was meh. The only real energy at my neighborhood Super Bowl bash were the gasps of excitement from the suburban moms when Adam Levine ripped off his shirt but that is about all you can say about Maroon 5 and friends. Not much was said about Atlanta the host city this week either so again, to sum up the Super Bowl LIII experience - unremarkable.

I've heard this a lot and so I've been asking. What makes a good halftime show and what made this one meh?

Maroon 5 is a vanilla band. Halftime performances are always mainstream vanilla with some choreographed dances and fireworks. I don't see what makes one more special than another? The lanterns were pretty cool. 

Just curious. This is a thought expressed by many.

After everyone was complaining about how slow the game was, I turned to two of the Aggies in the room and told them this game was like an SEC game.  One took it personally and said “Have you WATCHED any SEC games?!?!”
Utah State folks get offended over a slam on the sec sec sec? How so very odd.
  • Like 1

I've heard this a lot and so I've been asking. What makes a good halftime show and what made this one meh?
Maroon 5 is a vanilla band. Halftime performances are always mainstream vanilla with some choreographed dances and fireworks. I don't see what makes one more special than another? The lanterns were pretty cool. 

Prince ruined the halftime show because that one will never be topped. They should just stop doing these “shows” and go back to high school marching bands or Up With People.

1 hour ago, Disco Missile said:

35 minutes ago, GopherRock said:

Discussion of Super Bowl halftime shows begin with Prince and end with U2.

Michael Jackson was better than average...