Super Bowl LIII

RPM

The NFL commercial was one of my favorites....apparently, here's what took place during the ad:

It’s a two-minute spot. In brief: At a black-tie banquet celebrating football, with Roger Goodell at the podium, and the camera panning the room to show Dick Butkus, Joe Green, Ndamukong Suh, Peyton Manning, Orlando Pace, Alvin Kamara, Drew Brees, Michael Strahan, Rob Gronkowski, and Brian Urlacher, and Ninja, the biggest video-game influencer in the world, serves the (supposedly) best video-game player in the NFL, JuJu Smith-Schuster, who gives him a double-take look …

… There’s a gigantic cake in the middle of the room, a golden football on top, and mischievous Marshawn Lynch (in a Beast Mode sweatsuit), leans over in his chair to swipe a taste of the icing and the chair tips over and Lynch smashes the cake and the golden football skitters to the ground, and Mike Singletary screams “Fumble!!!!” and Singletary and Christian McCaffrey and a couple of others dive for the ball, and it ends up in Joe Montana’s hands, and Montana bypasses Michael Irvin to throw to Jerry Rice, but Deion Sanders intercepts and struts down the middle of the ballroom, and Urlacher smashes him into a table, which collapses, and Larry Little and Paul Warfield and Larry Csonka (of the ’72 Dolphins) look on admiringly, and Kamara and Suh enter the fray but Barry Sanders ends up with the ball and makes a pirouetting move, admired by Emmitt Smith, and Peyton Manning ends up with the ball and throws to LaDainian Tomlinson and Ed Reed destroys Tomlinson, and Jim Brown is cool with that, and then Baker Mayfield and Tom Brady, sitting at a side table, chat and Brady hands Mayfield his five Super Bowl rings and then enters the game, and somehow Terry Bradshaw has the ball and fades back to pass and Aaron Donald destroys a table to get at Bradshaw, and Bradshaw throw it high to Larry Fitzgerald with Jalen Ramsey and Derwin James in coverage, and the ball bounces high and far away …

… And Franco Harris makes an Immaculate Reception, admired by Joe Greene, and Saquon Barkley ends up with the ball and he twinkle-toes across a table, and Odell Beckham goes out for a pass and Goodell tells Patrick Mahomes (yes, he’s in it) that Beckham is open, and Mahomes no-look-passes to Beckham, who reprises his one-hand end-zone catch against Dallas while landing on a table 

… And this is a very cool moment—down judge Sarah Thomas eagle-eyes the Odell catch, and referee Ronald Torbert makes the “catch is good” signal and Thomas signals and calls “First down!” And then Tony Gonzalez catches a pass, tackled hard by Von Miller, and that viral-video adolescent female running back, Sam Gordon, has the ball, and Richard Sherman tries to steal it, and she jukes him, and laterals to Saquon, and he leads a cadre of young stars out of the frame.

All in two minutes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GopherRock said:

Discussion of Super Bowl halftime shows begin with Prince and end with U2.

I listened to Prince at junior high dances and gritted my teeth because his songs made girls want to dance closely with guys like me. That's the only positive thing I can say about Prince, without mentioning Charlie Murphy and Dave Chapelle.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Bevo VIII said:

One could say that Jason McCourty could have been the MVP. That play he made in the back of the end zone completely changed the game.

very underrated. not even close to being his assignment. incredible awareness

game was how i saw it, but i thought something like a 21 - 17 type game. each team's defense was their own offense's worst matchup. two dominant DTs will mess up Brady and great coaching will be the Rams highly tuned but someone predictable offensive scheme. 

Brady couldn't plant his left foot for most of the game very well. it clearly showed. Not only the DTs but also some great tricks from the Rams coaching there. The fake blitzes right up the back of Donald were such great calls. 

I thought it was a great SB. i love seeing a defensive battle in modern football. its fucking wildly interesting to me. in the old days a great defensive game used to mean just 3 yards and a cloud of dust. this was just beautiful to watch. Pats defense, I mean wow. great cohesion and they had pressure all night long.

Saying all that - Goff, man, you messed up something fierce. Missed the TD. forgot the snap count once. However the drop by cooks would have been a game changer. He shoulda caught that. 

Great game. Everyone at my watch party was bored. eh. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, staboner said:

game was how i saw it, but i thought something like a 21 - 17 type game. each team's defense was their own offense's worst matchup. two dominant DTs will mess up Brady and great coaching will be the Rams highly tuned but someone predictable offensive scheme. 

Brady couldn't plant his left foot for most of the game very well. it clearly showed. Not only the DTs but also some great tricks from the Rams coaching there. The fake blitzes right up the back of Donald were such great calls. 

I thought it was a great SB. i love seeing a defensive battle in modern football. its fucking wildly interesting to me. in the old days a great defensive game used to mean just 3 yards and a cloud of dust. this was just beautiful to watch. Pats defense, I mean wow. great cohesion and they had pressure all night long.

Saying all that - Goff, man, you messed up something fierce. Missed the TD. forgot the snap count once. However the drop by cooks would have been a game changer. He shoulda caught that. 

The overwhelmingly negative reaction to the Super Bowl is just more fodder for the League to create rules that favor offense.

It's been a whole day since the Superbowl and I still haven't seen the usual starving Ethiopian kids getting new shirts meme. Seems like proof that the game was rigged. They didn't even bother to make Rams Superbowl Champion shirts ahead of time.

For the receivers, they should make a jersey that isn't so easy to grab onto. Either that, or they should make one that when the defenders scrunch up the material, it turns a bright color - permanently. By the end of the game, everyone could see that holding is all most of these bastards (in the secondary) are good at.

Maybe we will have seen the last of 10-3 Super Bowls.

Edited by Irish Wrist Watch

2 hours ago, staboner said:

I had zero issues with this game. It was a tie game midway through the 4th. Never more than a one score game until the very end. What did people expect when 2 of the best defensive minded coaches square off with 2 weeks to prepare at the end of the year?

People bitch if the scores are 54-51 because omg no defense!! Then defense is played and they bitch about that last night. And that type of game isn't for Super Bowl watch party crowds. They just want to see as many points as possible while mingling, eating/drinking and ready to laugh at all the "funny" commercials.

Sadly, the NFL will take notice of the ratings and all the complaining. And the game will be even more designed in the offense's favor moving forward with various rule changes.

When in fact, the rating decline is due to one, LA having zero following. And people becoming bored of the Pats in it besides the Boston market. It's not like the game had super high ratings and then took a nosedive because of the lack of scoring. The ratings were down from the jump before anyone knew what type of game it would become. It was not a very intriguing matchup to deliver great ratings.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, SurlyBDR said:

This annoys the fuck out of me. The smartest guy in the room can't focus of the game, AND handle spacial awareness at the same time?

Does that guy come with him on vacations to keep him from falling off the balcony when he's having sex with his wife?

Edited by aggie08

2 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

I had zero issues with this game. It was a tie game midway through the 4th. Never more than a one score game until the very end. What did people expect when 2 of the best defensive minded coaches square off with 2 weeks to prepare at the end of the year?

People bitch if the scores are 54-51 because omg no defense!! Then defense is played and they bitch about that last night. And that type of game isn't for Super Bowl watch party crowds. They just want to see as many points as possible while mingling, eating/drinking and ready to laugh at all the "funny" commercials.

Sadly, the NFL will take notice of the ratings and all the complaining. And the game will be even more designed in the offense's favor moving forward with various rule changes.

When in fact, the rating decline is due to one, LA having zero following. And people becoming bored of the Pats in it besides the Boston market. It's not like the game had super high ratings and then took a nosedive because of the lack of scoring. The ratings were down from the jump before anyone knew what type of game it would become. It was not a very intriguing matchup to deliver great ratings.

That definitely moves way up the long list of the dumbest fucking takes you’ve ever had. 

39 minutes ago, Bevo VIII said:

Quite comical the LA market was so pathetic both in ratings and turnout for the game considering how they bitched and whined for a team.

I don't recall that. I recall LA not giving a frog's fat ass about having the NFL come back. The NFL was batshit crazy to get a team back in LA, cause (1) they didn't want major cities to figure out they didn't need a team to be considered a major city, and (2) there are a lot of televisions in LA. 

The reason the Houston Texans exist is because when the NFL put out a call for proposals back in the late 90s, they thought it would be a slam dunk for LA, but they couldn't find anyone in LA that cared enough to put together a decent bid. 

• Like 1

I like a good defensive battle, but if Goff had played well at all it would have been a different story. He had so many open receivers that he missed it was ridiculous. And why the fuck wouldn’t he use his legs every once in a while?? Don’t get me wrong, NE played a great defensive game, but any top tier QB would have made that a completely different game.

4 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

I agree. I liked the game.

Also agree with the ratings. I enjoy the fact that the LA teams have no fanbase, and this was the worst Patriots team to make a SB. A lot of storylines about dynasty vs the new kids, but very low potential for excitement.

If the Saints had made it. If the Chiefs beat the Pats. If the Pats had an exciting playmaker. The Bears getting in. All of those things would have meant better ratings.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Disco Missile said:

I agree. I liked the game.

Also agree with the ratings. I enjoy the fact that the LA teams have no fanbase, and this was the worst Patriots team to make a SB. A lot of storylines about dynasty vs the new kids, but very low potential for excitement.

If the Saints had made it. If the Chiefs beat the Pats. If the Pats had an exciting playmaker. The Bears getting in. All of those things would have meant better ratings.

The funny thing is, I see all these Saints fan all over the internet citing they were the cause for a big drop in ratings lmao. Not even close. They are actually taking pride in this.

I know from the network perspective, Rams/Pats was the worst case scenario for them. There was no real hype for this game. I enjoyed it but was not hyped for it at all. Gurley is hurt and Goff is a generic, boring QB. There was no real storylines to sell here.

This is why LA having a team is dumb as fuck. Not only that, they have 2. Have they not learned no one from that area cares about pro football? And the ones that do are transplants and have other allegiance. I'd say there are more Dallas fans in LA than Rams/Chargers fans.

daily-afternoon-randomness-49-photos-25-19.jpg?quality=85&strip=info&w=600
I was thinking about this watching the pre game shit as the crowd filled in behind the CBS stage... how much money are you people spending for 3.5 hours of entertainment? Some have fuck you money so I get it... but the common upper middle class joe is probably paying a few months of mortgages to goto a superbowl game.... and that's just for 1 ticket

I was thinking about this watching the pre game shit as the crowd filled in behind the CBS stage... how much money are you people spending for 3.5 hours of entertainment? Some have fuck you money so I get it... but the common upper middle class joe is probably paying a few months of mortgages to goto a superbowl game.... and that's just for 1 ticket
And one in shitlanta not somplace fun like sofla.