Anderson High senior murdered by two Murchison eighth graders

South Austin

My Lamar 6th grader said a girl in one of her classes said she had bought a vape from the dead kid. Yesterday, that girl was pulled from class. Today, that girl’s best friend said she’s being expelled. I wonder if they are going scorched earth. Being a dumb kid, his phone was probably full of his customers.

21 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

My Lamar 6th grader said a girl in one of her classes said she had bought a vape from the dead kid. Yesterday, that girl was pulled from class. Today, that girl’s best friend said she’s being expelled. I wonder if they are going scorched earth. Being a dumb kid, his phone was probably full of his customers.

OblongGrimyKingbird-size_restricted.gif

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, crash_davis said:

Had two kids go through Kealing Magnet.  The administration there isn't much better or any more unresponsive.  I thought Kealing and Kealing Magnet were exceptions.  Sounds like most middle schools suck, regardless of location save the rich walled bubble areas.

My kids saw many fights at Kealing.  Tons of drama from drugs, to bullying, to shitty burned out teachers and administration, to general teenage jackassedness.  They knew of kids who at school hid joints in their afros.  When hearing that I was mighty impressed with those kids' creativity and audacity.  Those kids are going places.

My kids' options right now are Murchison or Kealing and y'all aren't making either sound appealing. 

1 hour ago, CooterBrown said:

Checked with my kid. The girl also had a water bottle of vodka and some edibles. My kid left that part out.

That sounds about right.

8 minutes ago, austingirl said:

My kids' options right now are Murchison or Kealing and y'all aren't making either sound appealing. 

middle schools suck.  doesn't matter where.  the answer will depend on where you want your kids to go to high school.  if you want them at LASA, then kealing magnet is a no-brainer.  if you want them at Anderson, then don't make the kids suffer through the difficult course work of KM. if Anderson, then send them to Murchison.

• Like 1

What's getting a bit lost in all of this is that it wasn't a school issue at all.  

A drug dealer got killed by a couple of drug buyers nowhere near school. All involved just happened to attend good schools.  Guess what. Every single school has drug dealers and drug buyers. All of them.  Back in the day, a former coworker's son went to Anderson and was a major heroin addict. His dealer was a girl at Westlake High School.   Lake Travis and Dripping Springs had several heroin ODs a decade ago.  No telling what happened at the "bad" schools...well, that murder at Reagan.  None of it really moved the needle on my opinion of any of the schools.

Edited by CooterBrown
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, CooterBrown said:

What's getting a bit lost in all of this is that it wasn't a school issue at all.  

A drug dealer got killed by a couple of drug buyers nowhere near school. All involved just happened to attend good schools.

You're right that it isn't a "school issue," but your second point is just a matter of location.  One of the big takeaways in all this (as well as your daughter's news from Lamar, which I will grill my 7th grade Lamar daughter about this weekend), is that there's the potential for drugs and violence in our children's lives much earlier than many of us might have suspected.  While middle school does indeed suck, many of us believe it still buys us a few more years until the shit gets real in high school.  That's just not the case.

7 minutes ago, South Austin said:

there's the potential for drugs and violence in our children's lives much earlier than many of us might have suspected.  

Is there more potential or is it just our faulty/selective memory as adults? my wife and I were talking about this last night. I grew up in a small town around Victoria with a graduating class of just over 100 kids. I was in junior high '84-'86.Thinking back on it, I remember in 6th grade, a couple of students offering to sell us joints for a $1 each (really good deal in hindsight!). There was the kid who bragged about snorting coke in 8th grade.  A couple of 7th graders who had something called ice - which I'm pretty sure is meth.  I hadn't even thought about any of this until we had that discussion last night. Violence wise, an 8th grader raped and murdered a 7th grader's mom.  There were a couple of stabbings.  If you would've asked me if my junior high had a drug/violence problem, my immediate reaction would've been absolutely not.   But, once I added up all the stories, apparently it did have a problem.  

Edited by CooterBrown

11 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

A drug dealer got killed by a couple of drug buyers nowhere near school. All involved just happened to attend good schools.  Guess what. Every single school has drug dealers and drug buyers. All of them.  Back in the day, a former coworker's son went to Anderson and was a major heroin addict. His dealer was a girl at Westlake High School.   Lake Travis and Dripping Springs had several heroin ODs a decade ago.  No telling what happened at the "bad" schools...well, that murder at Reagan.  None of it really moved the needle on my opinion of any of the schools.

in austin, i hope we never become de-sensitized to middle school kids stabbing to death high school kids.  yea shit happens, but it should happen so seldom that it shocks.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

Is there more potential or is it just our faulty/selective memory as adults? my wife and I were talking about this last night. I grew up in a small town around Victoria with a graduating class of just over 100 kids. I was in junior high '84-'86.Thinking back on it, I remember in 6th grade, a couple of students offering to sell us joints for a $1 each (really good deal in hindsight!). There was the kid who bragged about snorting coke in 8th grade.  A couple of 7th graders who had something called ice - which I'm pretty sure is meth.  I hadn't even thought about any of this until we had that discussion last night. Violence wise, an 8th grader raped and murdered a 7th grader's mom.  There were a couple of stabbings.  If you would've asked me if my junior high had a drug/violence problem, my immediate reaction would've been absolutely not.   But, once I added up all the stories, apparently it did have a problem.  

This is a fair point, and admittedly I have a different and more sheltered experience.  I'm the son of a Marine who lived almost my whole life through high school on Marine Corps bases, attending small DOD schools where every kids' parent was in the military.  Alcohol was the most dangerous we got from middle school through twelfth grade.  And the worst violence was the occasional school fight, but it was pretty rare because it resulted in a swift suspension, and if there was a repeat offender the kid's dad usually got kicked out of base housing.

So yeah, I have a different perspective than most on this thread.  But even for folks who grew up with a different experience, I still think there's a good bit of shock in all of this, even if it might be detached from reality and personal history.

1 hour ago, crash_davis said:

middle schools suck.  doesn't matter where.  the answer will depend on where you want your kids to go to high school.  if you want them at LASA, then kealing magnet is a no-brainer.  if you want them at Anderson, then don't make the kids suffer through the difficult course work of KM. if Anderson, then send them to Murchison.

I want them where they will thrive. I don't think I can make that call yet (for high school, I mean). If he gets into Kealing we'll go there but if he hates it or something (for reasons beyond snowflake issues) then I have no problem pulling him and sending him to Murchison and then Anderson. I'm just thankful to have some good options.

1 minute ago, austingirl said:

I want them where they will thrive. I don't think I can make that call yet (for high school, I mean). If he gets into Kealing we'll go there but if he hates it or something (for reasons beyond snowflake issues) then I have no problem pulling him and sending him to Murchison and then Anderson. I'm just thankful to have some good options.

Just a note - Kealing is FAR from the only path to LASA.  My daughter did Murchison and then LASA, and my son has a couple of friends who did the same.  

We opted against Kealing for my daughter because she was an anxious kid at that age, and we didn't think she'd handle the rigorous pressure at Kealing well.  By high school, she'd matured a great bit, and she's thrived at LASA.  Oh, and we've also learned that we can second guess every school decision we've ever made, so there's that.

• Like 1

On ‎1‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 9:25 AM, utee94 said:

Hey homey, we might know each other.

Martin Jr. High is precisely the reason I learned to hold my bladder for over 9 hours. 

Go to the teachers' restroom.  Getting sent to the principal's office once a day can't be worse than getting beat up. That's what a friend of mine did when he found himself one of the few white kids at an almost entirely black school.  Most of the teachers were very understanding, so he was only reported when he took a crap.

Edited by ImissWallyPryor

You can definitely get to LASA via other middle schools.  Plenty do and excel as Brisket's daughter shows.  Something to consider is KM has by far the greatest number of kids at LASA.  I'm pretty positive that a good majority of kids are from KM.  The feedback that I heard from my kids from kids who entered LASA from other middle schools is that at first the volume of work is difficult adjust to.  Also a few non-KM parents told us at LASA Parent night that their kids had a tough time cracking the large circle of former KM kids at LASA.  That was Freshman year so that's expected at any high school.

Both my kids went KM and LASA route.  We would do it again without a second thought.  Kids would prob also agree.

But....it will be interesting if Austin continues to have magnet schools.  Budget cuts are real.  My youngest is a Jr.  I hope AISD doesn't do anything stupid until after she graduates.

44 minutes ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

Go to the teachers' restroom.  Getting sent to the principal's office once a day can't be worse than getting beat up. That's what a friend of mine did when he found himself one of the few white kids at an almost entirely black school.  Most of the teachers were very understanding, so he was only reported when he took a crap.

Thanks, but you're over 30 years too late.  Even so, I appreciate the advice. :)

Over the years, being able to hold my bladder for 9 hours straight has helped immensely whilst attending various sporting events, concert festivals, etc.  So I suppose I should be thankful for Austin's busing program back then.

2 hours ago, Dennis Taylor said:

The first time I had any concept of drugs was in 6th grade in a middle school setup (6-8th). Lots of electives combined all 3 grades which looking back is absolutely idiotic.  Naive as hell 12 year olds in the same class as some kids that had become shady characters by their 3rd year there

tumblr_pf9ivjS93N1tpri36o1_500.png

When we bought our first house in 2010 in 78702 I could’ve sworn the zoning cutoff for Maplewood-Kealing/Lamar-McCallum was Airport Blvd, which is where we landed. Mueller was zoned for all less desirable schools. 

With expecting a second child and wanting more sqft in central Austin, we bought a house in Mueller in 2017. We knew the schools it was zoned for, but figured all of Mueller was in the same boat and maybe the zoning would change or the schools would improve as a generation of Muellerites come through. It is my guess that at some point, “Old” Mueller (east of Berkman) got the zoning dragged from Airport over there, so most of the Mueller kids go Maplewood-Lamar-McCallum. The new sections are Blanton-gender divided MS until Mueller MS opens-Reagan. Due to the political leanings of Mueller, I got lectured on the neighborhood Facebook group about how I should do my civic duty and send my kids in as foot soldiers to help improve those campuses; and any desire to not send my kids to those schools was some kind of veiled racism/white privilege.

Maplewood-Lamar-McCallum are way over capacity and not taking transfers. Blanton-???-Reagan are under capacity. It seems a bit hypocritical of “Old” Mueller to not want the zoning returned to Airport with one unified Mueller zoning so we’re all in the same boat and “helping improve” those schools with horrible test scores, college admissions, crime, and teen pregnancy. 

Sorry for the thread derailment. I should go find the “AISD is terrible and your kids gonna get raped” thread. 

*Edit: We never thought of this new house as a forever home when we bought it. We wanted more SQFT while the kids were small and Austin building laws limit inventory of “McMansions”, so we bought there, hope to get some decent appreciation like our other house did, and sell/move again in 3-5 years. 

Edited by Murfdogg21

5 minutes ago, Murfdogg21 said:

When we bought our first house in 2010 in 78702 I could’ve sworn the zoning cutoff for Maplewood-Kealing/Lamar-McCallum was Airport Blvd, which is where we landed. Mueller was zoned for all less desirable schools. 

With expecting a second child and wanting more sqft in central Austin, we bought a house in Mueller in 2017. We knew the schools it was zoned for, but figured all of Mueller was in the same boat and maybe the zoning would change or the schools would improve as a generation of Muellerites come through. It is my guess that at some point, “Old” Mueller (east of Berkman) got the zoning dragged from Airport over there, so most of the Mueller kids go Maplewood-Lamar-McCallum. The new sections are Blanton-gender divided MS until Mueller MS opens-Reagan. Due to the political leanings of Mueller, I got lectured on the neighborhood Facebook group about how I should do my civic duty and send my kids in as foot soldiers to help improve those campuses; and any desire to not send my kids to those schools was some kind of veiled racism/white privilege.

Maplewood-Lamar-McCallum are way over capacity and not taking transfers. Blanton-???-Reagan are under capacity. It seems a bit hypocritical of “Old” Mueller to not want the zoning returned to Airport with one unified Mueller zoning so we’re all in the same boat and “helping improve” those schools with horrible test scores, college admissions, crime, and teen pregnancy. 

Sorry for the thread derailment. I should go find the “AISD is terrible and your kids gonna get raped” thread. 

1. Stay the fuck off Facebook.  Nothing good comes from Facebook.

2. Fuck the other parents.  You don't owe them crap.  Do what's right for you and your kids. 

My kids were zoned for Lee-Kealing-McCallum.  Lee was a great school.  If it weren't for Kealing Magnet, no way in hell was I sending my kids through normal Kealing.  The kids from Lee who didn't go to KM went to Lamar Magnet, Fulmore Magnet, Ann Richards Magnet (girls only) or Paragon (private).  I'm sure there were some but I don't know of any Lee kids who went to Kealing regular.  Kealing regular was pretty bad.  There are options for middle school. 

Re High School, that entails a deeper discussion.  It may not be too bad a kid to have less competition.  As long as the 7% admittance rule applies for Texas, it will be a tons easier to be top 7% @ Reagan than at Anderson or McCallum.  Just something to consider.  But shitty schools are shitty schools.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Murfdogg21 said:

I got lectured on the neighborhood Facebook group about how I should do my civic duty and send my kids in as foot soldiers to help improve those campuses; and any desire to not send my kids to those schools was some kind of veiled racism/white privilege.

You should start calling your kids the LRRPs of Mueller.  Hey, it will be easier to get them into UT.

1 hour ago, crash_davis said:

2. Fuck the other parents.  You don't owe them crap.  Do what's right for you and your kids. 

My kids were zoned for Lee-Kealing-McCallum.  Lee was a great school.  If it weren't for Kealing Magnet, no way in hell was I sending my kids through normal Kealing.  The kids from Lee who didn't go to KM went to Lamar Magnet, Fulmore Magnet, Ann Richards Magnet (girls only) or Paragon (private).  I'm sure there were some but I don't know of any Lee kids who went to Kealing regular.  Kealing regular was pretty bad.  There are options for middle school. 

Re High School, that entails a deeper discussion.  It may not be too bad a kid to have less competition.  As long as the 7% admittance rule applies for Texas, it will be a tons easier to be top 7% @ Reagan than at Anderson or McCallum.  Just something to consider.  But shitty schools are shitty schools.

Good stuff. But that 7% is now changing to 6%, FYI. 

7 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

Edna?  

I had the same experience only it was 9th thru 12th grade in a consolidated high school.  Our K-8 in that area was just too small (class of 14 kids).  But there were drugs available for sure in 9th grade.

Y’all are terrifying me for my toddler children who will be Blanton-???(Mueller MS?)-Reagan if we don’t move in the next few years or it doesn’t get re-zoned. 

Don’t worry. All the non whites will be priced out in a decade and those schools will be full anti-vaxxer kids of yoga teachers.

9 hours ago, crash_davis said:

You can definitely get to LASA via other middle schools.  Plenty do and excel as Brisket's daughter shows.  Something to consider is KM has by far the greatest number of kids at LASA.  I'm pretty positive that a good majority of kids are from KM.  The feedback that I heard from my kids from kids who entered LASA from other middle schools is that at first the volume of work is difficult adjust to.  Also a few non-KM parents told us at LASA Parent night that their kids had a tough time cracking the large circle of former KM kids at LASA.  That was Freshman year so that's expected at any high school.

Both my kids went KM and LASA route.  We would do it again without a second thought.  Kids would prob also agree.

But....it will be interesting if Austin continues to have magnet schools.  Budget cuts are real.  My youngest is a Jr.  I hope AISD doesn't do anything stupid until after she graduates.

My son is a sophomore at LASA right now (via Kealing). He loves it. I'm counting on AISD not being able to make any decision before he graduates. 

My daughter went Murchison, Anderson and it all went very well. 

2. Fuck the other parents. ......

All solid advice.

My only B at Reagan was art, but that teacher hated my. Otherwise straights A’s and third in my class.

The problem is with the %ile that a lot of kids don’t make it through so staying top 6% gets hard because the bottom 40% drop out.

Not to be a dick, but if your friend had learned to be a harder target he might have earned some respect and wouldn’t have had to spend the weekday sneaking around
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

Y’all are terrifying me for my toddler children who will be Blanton-???(Mueller MS?)-Reagan if we don’t move in the next few years or it doesn’t get re-zoned. 

Your kids will be fine. They will benefit more from learning about the world than they would in a homogeneous environment, and likely have a better track to college admission as well.

My older kid goes to LASA because the most important thing to her was to compete against the best and thrives on intense time and workload pressure, but if college admission was the most important factor we would have transferred her from Mac to Reagan.

16 hours ago, GottaB said:

All solid advice.

My only B at Reagan was art, but that teacher hated my. Otherwise straights A’s and third in my class.

The problem is with the %ile that a lot of kids don’t make it through so staying top 6% gets hard because the bottom 40% drop out.

What year did you graduate? And out of curiosity, where did you live?

On 1/31/2019 at 12:28 PM, Murfdogg21 said:

*Edit: We never thought of this new house as a forever home when we bought it. We wanted more SQFT while the kids were small and Austin building laws limit inventory of “McMansions”, so we bought there, hope to get some decent appreciation like our other house did, and sell/move again in 3-5 years. 

In all seriousness  - I read that thread. In 2009 people had the same feelings about Maplewood/Kealing that you do about Blanton. Maplewood was a title 1 school at the time, underenrolled, and was eagerly taking transfers. Now everybody loves Maplewood and it's not accepting transfers. Nothing has changed except the addition of well off whites.
The same thing will happen to Blanton. Your kids will be fine. 

BTW - about  the drawing of the boundary line. That dates back to when the airport was still open. Oddly enough, as usual, the fix isn't in. 

Edited by Bozo_Casanova

Hopefully so, but your suggestion that we should value diversity of classmates and lower competition over better math, science, and reading education, and that we should harden our two year old up to not be a soft target in a <20% white high school are not making me feel any better about the situation. They should put up a symbolic railroad track down Berkman. 

1 minute ago, Murfdogg21 said:

Hopefully so, but your suggestion that we should value diversity of classmates and lower competition over better math, science, and reading education, and that we should harden our two year old up to not be a soft target in a <20% white high school are not making me feel any better about the situation. They should put up a symbolic railroad track down Berkman. 

My high school was <10% white and over 80% hispanic. I must have missed the days when we ganged up on & beat the shit out of all the white kids. The only fights I remember were typical high school BS that happens everywhere, and 1 gang riot. The notion that your kid isn't gonna be safe at a mostly non-white high school is ridiculous. 

• Like 1

Hopefully so, but your suggestion that we should value diversity of classmates and lower competition over better math, science, and reading education, and that we should harden our two year old up to not be a soft target in a

That’s not my suggestion at all. What I’m suggesting is that the diversity has real educational value and that the delivery of academic content is not worse at Blanton->Reagan, and when you regress for income and other demographic factors the data bear that out.

Also, I’m suggesting that the “situation”, to the extent that it exists in reality, will largely disappear by the time your 2 year old is 6 through 18.

Seriously- this is literally a thread about an Anderson student being stabbed to death by Murchison kids. Maybe it’s the whites you need to worry about.

9 minutes ago, Helobious said:

My high school was <10% white and over 80% hispanic. I must have missed the days when we ganged up on & beat the shit out of all the white kids. The only fights I remember were typical high school BS that happens everywhere, and 1 gang riot. The notion that your kid isn't gonna be safe at a mostly non-white high school is ridiculous. 

I didn’t say my kid was going to get beat up, and I never brought race into it. I was referring to Bozo’s and Wally Pryor’s exchange above. 

11 minutes ago, Helobious said:

I went to a HS in SA that was probably 60% Hispanic, and there were no problems there, either. My friend had been roughed up in the restroom, so he had a reason to think it might happen again. About 10 years after graduation, I met a woman (Hispanic, BTW) who went to that same HS, and she asked me if I knew so-and-so from my HS who she met through cheerleading. I said of course I knew her even though she was older because she was the head cheerleader. This woman laughed and said that her high school did away with designating head cheerleaders after a white girl was beaten up in the girls’ room the day after being named head cheerleader. So, yeah, some schools are like that, some aren’t. 

It’s naive to think that being a small minority, no matter the race, isn’t difficult for some kids. I’m not saying the minority kid will be beat up, but they can definitely feel isolated or out of place if they are the one black, brown, white, yellow kid in their class. I believe it is great for kids to be in a diverse environment but being in an 80% Hispanic or black school isn’t any more diverse than an 80% white.

• Like 1