Anderson High senior murdered by two Murchison eighth graders

South Austin

Totally agree, and it’s difficult to avoid in Austin, because we are a very segregated city.
However, the Reagan High school vertical track has a much more diverse cohort of incoming kids due to gentrification. In about 7-8 years, that population is going to look more like McCallum 3-4 years ago. So will Lanier.

All solid advice.

My only B at Reagan was art, but that teacher hated my. Otherwise straights A’s and third in my class.

The problem is with the %ile that a lot of kids don’t make it through so staying top 6% gets hard because the bottom 40% drop out.

As a follow up to my comment here, my freshman class had about 500 kids in it. We graduated 215. That was a long time ago.

Reagan was 8% white/other. The rest was split Hispanic and African American. I never felt unsafe. The criminals didn’t come to class. The only fights I saw were girls.

We did have a freshman QB bring a gun to school (to show another kid, not to shoot anyone) but our exchange student from Bosnia did get shot (wounded, not killed) at the bus stop on Cameron road.

Again, that was a long time ago.

I agree with the other sentiment that in 8 years, the demographics will shift and there will be a different mix of people both racially and economically.

Is there more drugs and violence going on at Murchison that those of us on the outside know about?  

I’ve said before that this tragedy could happen at any school. If Lamar kids had been involved, and I had no reason to believe it was a symptom of school culture, then I wouldn’t be calling for the principal’s head. Seems like a pussy move for this guy to bail mid-year.

Edited by South Austin
derpy

Is there more drugs and violence going on at Murchison that those of us on the outside know about?  
I’ve said before that this tragedy could happen at any school. If Lamar kids had been involved, and I had no reason to believe it was a symptom of school culture, then I wouldn’t be calling for the principal’s head. Seems like a pussy move for this guy to bail mid-year.

There was an overdose, a kid passed out in the bleachers, and an attempted suicide. Tons of fights planned via instagram. All in the fall. My son relates that several kids get obviously high at school and on the buses.

The principal never returned any of my calls or emails- going back to Sept. I was at an unrelated meeting last week with him and he mentioned that he “doesn’t check email as he gets too many.”
WTF
I also asked what additional resources or assistance could he use.
Couldn’t think of anything.
How about more staff to help process emails. Or more security. Or parent volunteers?

Dude appeared to be a nice guy, but in way over his head.
Those kids have no fear of consequences at all. They don’t even think to hide bad behavior. That culture starts at the top.

Any change will be an improvement.

51 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Uh, you may want to ask your daughter about this one. 

Word is his resignation had nothing to do with the recent murder.  Those of you with kids at Murchison will undoubtedly hear about soon if you haven't already.  Bit of a scene at school the day before he resigned.

We've got kids at Hill, and I'm sad to see the principal there go mid-year, as she runs that school well.  It's going to be a step up for the middle school, however, so ultimately a good thing I hope.

23 minutes ago, Samson's Wig said:

Word is his resignation had nothing to do with the recent murder.  Those of you with kids at Murchison will undoubtedly hear about soon if you haven't already.  Bit of a scene at school the day before he resigned.

We've got kids at Hill, and I'm sad to see the principal there go mid-year, as she runs that school well.  It's going to be a step up for the middle school, however, so ultimately a good thing I hope.

It is correct that it had nothing to do with this situation or how he was running the school at all.  I will let that come out on it’s own. 

Jack will do a great job at Hill.  Beth will be a great trusted figure to right the ship at murchison.

Edited by Larry T. Spider

4 hours ago, Samson's Wig said:

There was a Q&A this morning and my friend told me it "got heated." Lots of parents angry about him leaving. But the general impression of the new principal is good so far.

It is correct that it had nothing to do with this situation or how he was running the school at all.  I will let that come out on it’s own. 
 Jack will do a great job at Hill.  Beth will be a great trusted figure to right the ship at murchison.

Really?

What am I going to do, read it in the statesman?
  • Haha 1

Everyone’s freaking out because there’s drug use & fighting going on in middle school? Yeah try finding one where that isn’t happening. A private school may lack the fights but I guarantee some of those kids are on illicit drugs too. 

But I admit, two 8th graders getting arrested for murder is pretty unusual. Still sounds more like a couple of kids just really fucked up in the head. Kids like that could’ve been from anywhere.

16 hours ago, Larry T. Spider said:

He quit because he was having an affair with Murchison librarian and her husband found out, came to the school, to confront the principal, vandalized his car, etc.  Ugly scene. 

• Like 1

Man, I should have been a middle school principal. There's a gang in my school running black market Juuls and they aren't afraid to murder one of their suppliers when he's late with a shipment, but I don't get fired because testing scores are up 2.7% from last year or some shit and I've been getting my dick wet with the librarian. 

Edited by Hank Scorpio

13 hours ago, Helobious said:

Everyone’s freaking out because there’s drug use & fighting going on in middle school? Yeah try finding one where that isn’t happening. A private school may lack the fights but I guarantee some of those kids are on illicit drugs too. 

But I admit, two 8th graders getting arrested for murder is pretty unusual. Still sounds more like a couple of kids just really fucked up in the head. Kids like that could’ve been from anywhere.

Um, there's more drugs in private school by a long shot.

14 hours ago, austingirl said:

There was a Q&A this morning and my friend told me it "got heated." Lots of parents angry about him leaving. But the general impression of the new principal is good so far.

Beth Newton is great.  I don't envy the job she has in front of her, but I think Murchison is undoubtedly getting a big step up in administrative abilities.   

10 minutes ago, Larry T. Spider said:

Pretty sure (not 100%) that it wasn’t the librarian. Only reason I’m commenting at all is because I don’t want her reputation to suffer if it wasn’t her. 

Was it one of the lunch ladies?  You don't have to say yes, just nod your head if I'm right.

Heard more details tonight.

The Anderson kid was selling THC vape cartridges. The Murchison kids argued with him that they were fake or shitty. Anderson kid pulled out a fake gun to scare them away. They pulled out real knives and stabbed him.

The Lamar girl that was caught with vapes, edibles, and vodka was the Anderson kid’s sister who was selling for him.

• Like 1