If BaD Radio isn't on from 3-7 p.m. ...

mdmost

1 hour ago, DeepEastTexas said:

Jub was ready to throw hands in that segment. He was really getting worked up at the "critics". I don't know who he was referring to specifically, but even Gordo said he was "moving away" from him.

That was entertaining. 

There's some irony here vis a vi how all the host cynically view athletes who always go and on on about their "haters" and how nobody believed in them.  

It sounds like some of you are not aware of how businesses operate. It doesn’t sound like money was the real issue but their wanting to moonlight. Many of you work for companies that have a paragraph in the employee manual hat you might not have read about second jobs and a requirement that the company can approve or not your chosen side gig.

I have worked for every size of company in my industry, from international to regional to startups to small operators. Publicly traded, private equity owned, and family owned. Each has advantages and not; I found the most inflexible to often be the family business. So when employees come seeking a different structure to the relationship, especially a contractual one, the pushback is often culturally ingrained. How often have you been told “but we’ve never done that” or “but that’s how we’ve always done it!” At that time you have to make the decision most of us make daily weighing security vs risk, and either get in line or seek fortune elsewhere.

I think these guys have a different vision than simply moving over to another station, especially one that likely won’t see the end of 2024. That isn’t hardworking or concerned about the listener or sports. If their own gig doesn’t work then they go back to radio.

44 minutes ago, TriStone said:

Can you explain this math?

Most people don't understand how insanely hard it is to transfer Twitter or YouTube or whatever subs into consistent paying Patreon patrons. You need something that people are so passionate about they're willing to pay every month for it and you have to keep them happy with whatever you're offering or they'll bounce. 

I would be very impressed if they could maintain a core patron list of 500 to 1000 at $5 a month with their limited market and the disadvantages they have with the market offering several free alternatives that are more easily accessible. 

43 minutes ago, TriStone said:

Can you explain this math?

i did a breakdown here

text

i have no idea who Throwing Fits is, but they have 4496 patrons, are the #290 podcast on the platform, do 2 podcasts a week + some semi-regular podcasts on Fridays + discord access for $5 a month, for $10 a month you get video podcasts + video of semi-regular friday podcasts + discord and for $20 you get basically nothing additional other than giving the creators more money. they are currently making $23,590 a month.

another one is lemon party (lol) which has 4590 patrons, a 5/10/25 tier level with basically the same options. they are at $25,520 / month

idk what their goal is, but the higher you go the more you can make, obviously. Office Hours Live with TIm Heidecker (comedian) is just outside the top 150, has 6600ish patrons, has 2 tiers ($5 that has 2 hour podcats a week + a couple of other podcasts and a $10 tier that adds nothing) and is making $27,800 / month

if they can find a way to crack the 10k limit they can make some real money. Are you Garbage makes $87k a month with just over 10k members. they have the same general $5 (bonus episodes only), $10 (audio and video podcasts, bonus podcast) and a $20 (more podcasts) tier levels. 10k patrons would put them in about the top 75ish podcasts on the network.

at the high end you have things like Qanon Anonomyous which is making 85k / month, Cold Ones which is basically "lets get everyone drunk and say shit they shouldn't" and has a $5 tier only and is making almost 100k a month from their 24k patrons. Cumtown is up there making 113k / month for 24k patrons

idk where their ceiling is, but to say there isn't the money out there for them to do a podcast shows a total misunderstanding of that market and how things go. They can absolutely be The Basement Yard, which does free + paid podcasts + video + cuts stuff for short form (tiktok/youtube shorts) + sells ads + makes money from affiliate links. those guys are making a legitimate killing now (66k-165k / month) but you don't have to be them do fine.

i think they know what their market is if they go that route. they have all the info on plays from hangzone.com, they have the know how to make it work with all the other stuff you have to do beyond just showing up and recording content.

the top earning podcasts on Patreon today that share their numbers are the yard (31k patrons making $205,999 / month) and chapo trap house who has 43k people paying like $5 a month and is making $181,881 per month. the top Patreon out there is Matt McCusker and Shane Gillis podcast which has 67,724 paid members and if all of thsoe people are paying $5 a month, that's $338,620 per month or $4 mil and change a year. they aren't going to reach that number obviously, but they do not at all have to find 100k people to pay them to do a podcast.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, threesheets said:

Talk about a funny visual.  He sucks at everything aside from stealing money. 

I give you grief for ‘fake’ rating but the above is a really bad take. 

1 hour ago, Gene Parmesan said:

This is where I'm at as well.  I've never listened to a podcast and I'm doubtful to start over this, especially if it's something I have to pay for.  I don't care if it's the freak or fan, but I'd like to get them back in midday slot somewhere.  

I'd be cool with the fan too but the Fan's shows seem to be pulling pretty decent ratings these days so it would seem they would be less likely to make the switch now. 

5 minutes ago, threesheets said:

I should probably be an adult and give a little grace right now, I'll give you that.  Just tell me what he's good at outside of raising money for seniors. 

Humor, he's personable, he has pretty good gut reactions that tend to fall in line with what the fan is feeling, he plays well with Gordon, he's not fake. I hate the simpleton takes and love of red dirt music but Jub is still pretty f'ing great. This group can be about as stupid as the reactionary titty babies on Reddit. 

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, NoName said:

i did a breakdown here

text

I have a few podcasts I wonder about. How much is Dan Carlin pulling in a month?

Dangle quit TSN to go full time on his stuff. Got his partner out of morning drive radio too. He started off at his parent's house. I don't mind paying for content. I'll throw five bucks your way just to support the arts in general. If they want to go the podcast route I will give it a listen. Rhyner's podcast was so haphazardly posted there was no way to get a rhythm. He had great stuff, but it was a monthly, at best, event.

Dan and Jake can hang in the Dragon Den and be themselves, cuss, drink, vape. All the shit they can't do on terrestrial radio. 

If they start one I'll check it out. Because I can only take so much Cowboys. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, threesheets said:

I've been listening since they flipped the switch and Skip was smacking bagels and cream cheese into the mic. I'm not some fickle dipshit come lately. My opinions of the station are pretty well rounded. 

Did you like those 7 Marconi nominations?  You know how many people have 7 Marconi nominations?  Did you enjoy those?  I hope you did, I hope you did very much.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

18 minutes ago, threesheets said:

I've been listening since they flipped the switch and Skip was smacking bagels and cream cheese into the mic. I'm not some fickle dipshit come lately. My opinions of the station are pretty well rounded. 

I guess I'll have to skip past your massive hyperbole next time. 

34 minutes ago, threesheets said:

I should probably be an adult and give a little grace right now, I'll give you that.  Just tell me what he's good at outside of raising money for seniors. 

There’s not a host on the station capable of playing straight man sports broadcaster, and, being right there with Gordon with voices. Jub is a funny, talented guy. Now, that doesn’t extend to his personal musical ability or the Board’s view of his musical tastes. Jub’s Red Dirt Foist has totally clouded this Board’s view of him. It’s one of the dumber Surly Ticket takes. 

Edited by Porterhouse

3 minutes ago, Da Fino said:

He's mad about where they are headed. 

I don't think so. I think he's tired of shots from Rhyner or Skin or Julie or Danny or Sirois. There's got to be a decent portion out there that keep waiting with baited breath for the Ticket to eventually start to show cracks. Rhyner thought he would be that impetus and that's been shown to be a non-starter. I think Dan and Jake were sincere about not going to the Freak, at least not right now. I think they'll try their hand at podcasting and if that doesn't work well, they can join the Freak at their leisure, assuming it still exists. I feel like Dan had his mind made up a while back to try something new. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hermanator said:

Most people don't understand how insanely hard it is to transfer Twitter or YouTube or whatever subs into consistent paying Patreon patrons. You need something that people are so passionate about they're willing to pay every month for it and you have to keep them happy with whatever you're offering or they'll bounce. 

I would be very impressed if they could maintain a core patron list of 500 to 1000 at $5 a month with their limited market and the disadvantages they have with the market offering several free alternatives that are more easily accessible. 

Saying again I don't really know how this works, but if this is to be taken at face value the TC & Jake "It's just banter" has 892 monthly subscribers and generates $4k/month.

https://www.patreon.com/itsjustbanter

image.png.6a156ddb9e502c42e0860b8208388fc5.png

I would think Hang Zone could get to 20k subscribers given some time but no idea how "sticky" those subscribers would be.  I don't even know that I would need a 5 days a week kind of thing to feel like I'm getting value.  Honestly, if they dropped a couple of 1-2 hour podcasts a week I think I could justify $5/month.  I could then listen when I want.  If it was something I was enjoying, I'd likely stick with it.  How many things do I waste $5 a month on that don't give me 5-10 hours of entertainment a month?

I will say they should get this going ASAFP, memories are short and people will get distracted and be less likely to subscribe / "support" them in 3 - 6 months.

Motivating someone to click that "pay" button is the big hurdle and the leap of faith they have just taken. 

Edited by orange dream

12 minutes ago, mdmost said:

I guess I'll have to skip past your massive hyperbole next time. 

Fair. 

9 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

There’s not a host on the station capable of playing straight man sports broadcaster, and, being right there with Gordon with voices. Jub is a funny, talented guy. Now, that doesn’t extend to his personal musical ability or the Board’s view of his musical tastes. Jub’s Red Dirt Foist has totally clouded this Board’s view of him. It’s one of the dumber Surly Ticket takes. 

My opinion of him has nothing to do with the music stuff, outside of his hypocrisy regarding Tony Romo playing PGA events while his shitty band plays legit festivals.  It's the "simple" stuff. He doesn't know shit about shit, sports or otherwise, and gets a pass while everyone runs Corby for the same shit. 

1 hour ago, Texzilla58 said:

It sounds like some of you are not aware of how businesses operate. It doesn’t sound like money was the real issue

Hard to know for sure without being involved in the negotiations but I would be willing to bet there was a dollar amount (and a dollar amount that certain other hosts make) that would have made them ok without something on the side.  And don't get me wrong, I get where cumulus is coming from on the podcast side.  It would be pretty damn hard to have both content for a show and for a pod and also to not inherently lose listeners 12-3 that would elect to just catch up on the pod.  It all makes sense why it was a hard deal to get done.  I think Corby, Gordo and Bob (at least) took it more seriously than Jub and Junior as they probably aren't even thinking about retirement yet.  And they know what this means long term for the station (not to mention inside baseball on the Company's position their next round of negotiations).

Edited by Skipper

4 minutes ago, threesheets said:

Fair. 

My opinion of him has nothing to do with the music stuff, outside of his hypocrisy regarding Tony Romo playing PGA events while his shitty band plays legit festivals.  It's the "simple" stuff. He doesn't know shit about shit, sports or otherwise, and gets a pass while everyone runs Corby for the same shit. 

His band plays what ‘legit’ festivals?  I don’t buy they take up spots on par with what Romo did. In fact I think it’s a terrible comparison. I’ve got multiple accounts of Romo being a total doucher with my own eyes and with others, and a lot of those douchey moments involve golf. He’s a total dipshit and Jub is 100% right about him. 

He says stuff I disagree with - the fracking rant he went on is ridiculous - but I’m not sure what other shit he doesn’t know about (sounds like a Rhyner quote). I think this Board’s view of Corby is bad too fwiw. 

1 minute ago, threesheets said:

Corby and Bob are worried as fuck about who's going to lead into PM drive. 

No they’re not. 

Wow. I don’t listen to the ticket or the Freak anymore but I did just listen to the discussion about Hang Zone leaving.

Not sure what the most shocking was, Corby pretending he owns the station and saying he everything he can negotiating with them to stay. Bob crying or Jub acting like he is going to lick anybody’s ass who laughed about it.

This is the crap why I stopped listening, I just don’t like any of the personalities anymore outside of Gordon.

A charity festival where they took no pay? 

I have always thought this board views Junior and Corby negatively because they are Sooner fans. Dan and Jake trolls Texas fans and actively roots for our failure and this board never whined about it. 

To an earlier comment if Dan and Jake are really gonna go some podcast route they should jump on it in the next two weeks while memories are fresh.

Meet in the Dragon Den every morning around 8:30, run sheet 60 to 90 minutes of content , record it and drop it every day at noon like clockwork. Keep amount of content/timing type things familiar while they entreat folks to click 3 buttons and hand over a credit card.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, threesheets said:

For starters.

Screenshot_20230721-123309_Chrome.jpg

George was personally responsible for getting Steve Helms in. 

38 minutes ago, Mileslong said:

Wow. I don’t listen to the ticket or the Freak anymore but I did just listen to the discussion about Hang Zone leaving.

Not sure what the most shocking was, Corby pretending he owns the station and saying he everything he can negotiating with them to stay. Bob crying or Jub acting like he is going to lick anybody’s ass who laughed about it.

This is the crap why I stopped listening, I just don’t like any of the personalities anymore outside of Gordon.

If you don’t listen, then shut the fuck up, because your dipshit opinion doesn’t matter. Ticket ratings have never been higher, so keep going elsewhere for your sports talk in our estimation. 

20 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

I don't see it as a hypocrisy.  Music entertainment isn't scored and quantified as to who is better, it's popularity and personal tastes.  Fame is the scorecard.  Golf has an actual scorecard to determine meritocracy.

Exactly correct. 

8 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

Everyone on the line up sucks, so I'd say they were appropriately booked.

And exactly correct. I think threesheets is already working on his next fake ratings. 

1 hour ago, orange dream said:

Saying again I don't really know how this works, but if this is to be taken at face value the TC & Jake "It's just banter" has 892 monthly subscribers and generates $4k/month.

https://www.patreon.com/itsjustbanter

image.png.6a156ddb9e502c42e0860b8208388fc5.png

I would think Hang Zone could get to 20k subscribers given some time but no idea how "sticky" those subscribers would be.  I don't even know that I would need a 5 days a week kind of thing to feel like I'm getting value.  Honestly, if they dropped a couple of 1-2 hour podcasts a week I think I could justify $5/month.  I could then listen when I want.  If it was something I was enjoying, I'd likely stick with it.  How many things do I waste $5 a month on that don't give me 5-10 hours of entertainment a month?

I will say they should get this going ASAFP, memories are short and people will get distracted and be less likely to subscribe / "support" them in 3 - 6 months.

Motivating someone to click that "pay" button is the big hurdle and the leap of faith they have just taken. 

The IJB numbers are about where I figured they could be and I think that shows what this market will support. IJB has been going on for years to get to that 800 number. Right there we see the hard core Jake fan number with probably a couple of TC fans mixed in. 

IJB becomes a cannibalization problem if they start a Dan and Jake show. How many of those hard core Jake fans are going to now want to pay an extra $5 a month for the show they've gotten for free for 3 years? There's zero chance they get anywhere near 20k subs with only a regional audience and not a semi global one. 

Then take into account Patreon takes 8-12 percent of the take plus processing fees. 

For guys used to making anywhere from probably 100k a year to 300k a year this is a non starter. Even with ads added in (which paying Patreon people won't like) they won't come close to what they were making with Cumulus and would have to work at least twice as hard to build and maintain what they do get. It's hard work that never ends, trust me I know in this area. 

That's why I believe they have to have a tentative deal worked out with another local station or some national corporation. That's too much money to just walk away from without some idea where to replace it. Especially for a 30s dude with 2 very young kids and a 50s dude with 2 kids in college and a wife that doesn't work. 

54 minutes ago, Mileslong said:

Yeah well I didn't ask you bitch

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1