$9.95 worth every penny

futureman

24 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Despite his lack of a blue check, the quoted guy is a USA Today affiliated journalist:

Pete Fiutak founded CollegeFootballNews and eventually sold it. At one time, that website was a go-to spot for CFB fans throughout the web. He's accomplished more in the CFB world than Mike Roach could in 20 decades. That said, yeah, it's a dumb take by Fiutak.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Pete Fiutak founded CollegeFootballNews and eventually sold it. At one time, that website was a go-to spot for CFB fans throughout the web. He's accomplished more in the CFB world than Mike Roach could in 20 decades. That said, yeah, it's a dumb take by Fiutak.

He is also is the last man on earth with the Zach Braff Garden State haircut, so that's a choice

Screen-Shot-2022-07-14-at-1-19-47-PM.png

MV5BMTM3ODUxMjQxNl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNTA0

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

This is a delicious tidbit, thank you.

Mike trying to dunk his chicken fries in anything resembling ketchup is particularly on brand

1 minute ago, texifornia said:

He is also is the last man on earth with the Zach Braff Garden State haircut, so that's a choice

Screen-Shot-2022-07-14-at-1-19-47-PM.png

MV5BMTM3ODUxMjQxNl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNTA0

To be clear, he has always irritated me as a writer. I respect the fact that he was out there doing a thing that has since been copied many times and he puts in the work to actually write his thoughts out and be judged. But he's not my guy. I just find it absurd that Roach doesn't know who he is when Roach is pretty fucking worthless at what he does.

Seriously, what do people value about Roach at this point? I don't even read his garbage anymore. He's wrong or flatfooted constantly. He does nothing original and he's analytically a coward. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

To be clear, he has always irritated me as a writer. I respect the fact that he was out there doing a thing that has since been copied many times and he puts in the work to actually write his thoughts out and be judged. But he's not my guy. I just find it absurd that Roach doesn't know who he is when Roach is pretty fucking worthless at what he does.

Seriously, what do people value about Roach at this point? I don't even read his garbage anymore. He's wrong or flatfooted constantly. He does nothing original and he's analytically a coward. 

Does anyone on this board like Roach beyond "I guess he doesn't seem like a bad person"? Standish stole his whole thunder by having defined opinions, actually taking some shots with his predictions, and showing even a little bit of enthusiasm about college football as a sport.

Edited by texifornia
  • Hook 'Em 5

23 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

19 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Does anyone on this board like Roach beyond "I guess he doesn't seem like a bad person"? Standish stole his whole thunder by having defined opinions, actually taking some shots with his predictions, and showing even a little bit of enthusiasm about college football as a sport.

he has a book coming out in october.

...no, seriously

https://www.amazon.com/Road-Texas-Incredible-Improbable-Recruiting/dp/1637271093

51dGvEOfGFL.jpg

Back to the start and behind the scenes on the Longhorns recruiting trail

The University of Texas boasts one of the nation's most storied football programs, and the recruiting acumen of coaches like Darrell Royal and Mack Brown plays a major role in that.

The Road to Texas is a wild ride into the competitive world of college football recruiting, revealing how Texas's greatest players found their way to Austin.

Mike Roach takes fans back to the start and behind the scenes, showing that the path to becoming a Longhorn is not always a straight and narrow one.

Edited by NoName

50 minutes ago, NoName said:

...no, seriously

https://www.amazon.com/Road-Texas-Incredible-Improbable-Recruiting/dp/1637271093

51dGvEOfGFL.jpg

Thanks. Got CTJ's christmas present all lined up now, just as soon as amazon delivers and I get a chance to  have Roach autograph it in chicken grease. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, longhornmatt said:

The only likable things about Roach are that he followed EJ Holland and doesn’t blatantly lie to people.   He needs to be on Texas Country Reporter or something, traveling from small town to small town to sample the local chicken fried steak and 3A football games.

6msgjb.gif

53 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Thanks. Got CTJ's christmas present all lined up now, just as soon as amazon delivers and I get a chance to  have Roach autograph it in chicken grease. 

If @closetojumping needs a gift for Sydney I'll just leave this link here

Flyover Football: How the Big 12 became the frontier for modern football https://a.co/d/fzvEmsH

31MnwVs7xBL.jpg

Though maybe grab the kindle version to save a few trees/forests. 

Edited by Viper
  • Haha 5

4 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

The only likable things about Roach are that he followed EJ Holland and doesn’t blatantly lie to people.   He needs to be on Texas Country Reporter or something, traveling from small town to small town to sample the local chicken fried steak and 3A football games.

And I bet he would love that.

4 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

Bob Phillips is a treasure. 

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, NoName said:

...no, seriously

51dGvEOfGFL.jpg

I'll give him credit for gaming the system, dude should run for public office. Eat, charge 995, maintain fatness, repeat talking points while building a brand that affords him to write a book, get fatter. A few years ago he was selling security systems, not a bad hustle. I'd ask for a free copy if I were paying 247.

The one fucking really shitty thing about the internet and podcasting is that faces made for radio are now seen by our eyes.

The $9.95 folks nearly universally fit into this, "It would have been a lot better to have only been heard,  and never ever seen category."

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Teamdirtyleg said:

Mike Farrell?  Name is vaguely familiar.  Who is he and why should I give a single fuck what he thinks, especially now that he’s showing his entire ass on twitter 

Only one Mike Farrell I know worth mentioning.

ss3131089_-_photograph_of_mike_farrell_a

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 7/14/2022 at 12:50 PM, NoName said:

...no, seriously

51dGvEOfGFL.jpg

He was on the "it's just banter" podcast recently pubbing his book. Told a good story about BJ Johnson getting locked in a room by then assistant coach Urban Meyer asking him how much money would it take to get BJ to Notre Dame. Roach didn't mention Meyer by name, but it was clear that is who he was talking about. 

• Hook 'Em 2

11 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

He was on the "it's just banter" podcast recently pubbing his book. Told a good story about BJ Johnson getting locked in a room by then assistant coach Urban Meyer asking him how much money would it take to get BJ to Notre Dame. Roach didn't mention Meyer by name, but it was clear that is who he was talking about. 

What is roach, 30? 35? Even if the motherfucker is in his early 40s like me (he isn’t), that made him a college student when BJ Johnson was being recruited. And now he’s telling stories and anecdotes about recruiting that took place when he was probably younger than the fucking recruits? What’s next, he going to gas on about Eric Dickerson and a fucking trans am?

Listen, I realize in books like this the stories are always going to be second or third hand. But at least pick stories that give or uphold the illusion that MAYBE you were at least in the industry when it fucking happened.  Not a story you heard 15 years after the fact while guzzling ranch dressing out of the jug that you insisted the waiter at Applebee’s bring you as your beverage. 

• Hook 'Em 2

22 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

What is roach, 30? 35? Even if the motherfucker is in his early 40s like me (he isn’t), that made him a college student when BJ Johnson was being recruited. And now he’s telling stories and anecdotes about recruiting that took place when he was probably younger than the fucking recruits? What’s next, he going to gas on about Eric Dickerson and a fucking trans am?

Listen, I realize in books like this the stories are always going to be second or third hand. But at least pick stories that give or uphold the illusion that MAYBE you were at least in the industry when it fucking happened.  Not a story you heard 15 years after the fact while guzzling ranch dressing out of the jug that you insisted the waiter at Applebee’s bring you as your beverage. 

Roach interviewed a bunch of former UT players for his book. BJ in particular gave him a lot of access and got him in touch with other former UT players for the book. He mentioned on the podcast that the interview with BJ was in the office of BJ's construction company. 

Edited by Catdaddyhorn
  • Hook 'Em 4

1 minute ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Roach interviewed a bunch of former UT players for his book. BJ in particular gave him a lot of access and got him in touch with other former UT players for his book. He mentioned on the podcast that the interview with BJ was in the office of BJ's construction company. 

We’ll that’s slightly less embarrassing. That being said it still feels like listening to a millennial trying to explain to me how to use a rotary phone. 

I'm not a recruit-nik and don't have a lot of prior knowledge of Roach and how he gets down, but he came off as a fairly decent guy from podcast. I did get the sense that he's a big high school football fan and clearly prefers it over college football so that claim checks out with everything I've read on here about him. 

Edited by Catdaddyhorn

12 hours ago, Hornlover said:

Mike Farrell makes shit up about Caleb Williams. Caleb calls him out. Farrell says Caleb and his dad should come interview and tell their side. Caleb tells him to Fuck Off, I'm not helping you get pageviews. 

😆🤣😂🤣

Stories like this interfere with my simple hatred of a Sooner quarterback and lead to cognitive dissonance.