LSU @ Texas series

Armypilot

I liked the way we played.  Totally outplayed LSU.  The walks obviously really hurt them.  I'm guessing we are better than we thought, and LSU isn't as good as they were made out to be.  I like this team and look forward for continued improvement.  Now, let's sweep these kitties.

Ellis is averaging damn near 2 walks a game. NCAA season record is still held by Texas' Kerlin back in '85 (112 walks in 76 games). If we get enough games, that record could be in trouble.

Edited by pacman

38 minutes ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

I liked the way we played.  Totally outplayed LSU.  The walks obviously really hurt them.  I'm guessing we are better than we thought, and LSU isn't as good as they were made out to be.  I like this team and look forward for continued improvement.  Now, let's sweep these kitties.

Don't forget that they're not motivated because SEC.

• Like 2

I love these two wins because I love the Horns, and, having played against those fucking savages in conference, I fucking despise LSU.

I loved Clemens’ twitter comment saying that it’s not over yet.

Fuck winning the series, sweep them. Don’t settle for two when you can have three. I hate when people think that winning two is good enough for government work, and that just because the series is locked, means that the last game, the team you’ve beaten twice can come out and beat you 18-0 in game three, but it’s “okay because we won the series”.

Fuck that. Don’t take your foot off of their fucking necks. Pitchers; hit your spots. Batters; make them throw you yours.

Don’t give in just because the series is already “won”, that’s too commonplace now with players, fans, etc, and it makes me sick.

That said, piss on LSU tomorrow. Fucking destroy them.

• Like 8

28 minutes ago, Homesickhorn said:

I love these two wins because I love the Horns, and, having played against those fucking savages in conference, I fucking despise LSU.

Fuck winning the series, sweep them. Don’t settle for two when you can have three. I hate when people think that winning two is good enough for government work, and that just because the series is locked, means that the last game, the team you’ve beaten twice can come out and beat you 18-0 in game three, but it’s “okay because we won the series”.

Fuck that. Don’t take your foot off of their fucking necks. Pitchers; hit your spots. Batters; make them throw you yours.

Don’t give in just because the series is already “won”, that’s too commonplace now with players, fans, etc, and it makes me sick.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chase25 said:

I know you want good arms in the bullpen but there is no way you can keep Quintinilla out of the weekend rotation. Elder on Friday and Cole on Saturday gives you almost a guaranteed series win.

I’d like to see Fields get the Sunday start as well. 

7 hours ago, chase25 said:

I know you want good arms in the bullpen but there is no way you can keep Quintinilla out of the weekend rotation. Elder on Friday and Cole on Saturday gives you almost a guaranteed series win.

Texas is 3-0 in the first 3 series. This approach is working just fine. 

Don't fix what ain't broke. Quintanilla is coming off TJ surgery so not sure how long he could go as a starter right now. Pierce said at the beginning of the year they were going to be cautious with Quintanilla. Plus there is a lot of value in having a guy that can come in and shut things down out of the pen. 

Edited by texasstrong12
  • Like 2

43 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

there is a lot of value in having a guy that can come in and shut things down out of the pen. 

This this this. It can't be understated how valuable a good closer is to a college baseball team. Particularly one that finds itself in so many close games as we do. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Homesickhorn said:

giphy.mp4

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Cajun said:

PM is a legend in his own mind.

Lotsa LSU faithful are not big fans.  

He's been labeled an "underachiever" by a lot of them.

Legend in his own mind sounds right.  Thought he came off that way during his live-game interview.  Let’s give him a cold slice of humble pie today to choke down.

1 hour ago, NorthLoop said:

This this this. It can't be understated how valuable a good closer is to a college baseball team. Particularly one that finds itself in so many close games as we do. 

Oh, I think it can easily be understated.   

Overstating is probably difficult.

Edited by TrashMaster G

22 minutes ago, Cajun said:

PM is a legend in his own mind.

Lotsa LSU faithful are not big fans.  

He's been labeled an "underachiever" by a lot of them.

Mainieri is a damn good coach who has had a lot of success.  Those LSU fans who aren't satisfied must not remember Smoke Laval.

31 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Mainieri is a damn good coach who has had a lot of success.  Those LSU fans who aren't satisfied must not remember Smoke Laval.

Truth.

I still detect that he thinks his shit stinks less than it does.

As for the LSU baseball fans, they have taken a turn for the worse and even their old timers are acknowledging that.

28 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Fans at programs that have expectations (like LSU and Texas) hate every coach. 

They were were ready to fire Will Wade after making the NIT in year 1 and now look at LSU basketball. 

I don't hate DP or TH.

Not in the slightest.

And that was true before last yr's CWS and the Sugar Bowl.

I have an extra GA ticket for today's game.

It's on me.

I'm heading out there in a few, so text or call me and we can meet up out at the Disch and I'll hand it to you personally.

Unless you're wearing LSU gear.  

Edited by Cajun
210 667-3767
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Cajun said:

I have an extra GA ticket for today's game.

It's on me.

I'm heading out there in a few, so text or call me and we can meet up out at the Disch and I'll hand it to you personally.

Unless you're wearing LSU gear.  

Gone

5 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

Texas is 3-0 in the first 3 series. This approach is working just fine. 

Don't fix what ain't broke. Quintanilla is coming off TJ surgery so not sure how long he could go as a starter right now. Pierce said at the beginning of the year they were going to be cautious with Quintanilla. Plus there is a lot of value in having a guy that can come in and shut things down out of the pen. 

Going six innings in one game  is different than throwing 6 innings throughout a week but he is fine. He has 6 appearances, 11 2/3 innings pitched and you throw on top of that all the bullpen sessions and times he has gotten up and gotten loose and he has thrown plenty. It will change when Coy pitches today but Cole has the 3rd most innings by any guy on our staff, that isn't being cautious.

If you already have 3 starters than I would say sure, use Cole as the Closer this year and take advantage of it. We have 1 starter right now, possibly 2 if Coy continues to improve and throw well, if Coy continues to develop then we will be really good. Blair has never had an opponent batting average under .260 since he has been here, that isn't a starter. If Pierce is banking on him flipping a switch randomly his Junior year or Blair getting abnormal run support, more power to him.

LSU makes some adjustments to their lineup... Reid in a 3B for Hughes (who was an out machine for us), and Garza to DH.    The first five remain the same and they will throw Eric Walker (1-0, 4.50ERA).

Texas counters with the same lineup as first two games (if it ain’t broke...) and throws freshman Cob Cobb (0-1, 2.61ERA)

Lets get the brooms out 🤘🏽

2 minutes ago, chase25 said:

We have 1 starter right now, possibly 2 if Coy continues to improve.

I think starting pitching will be fine at the end of the year. IMO Bocchi will eventually be a weekend starter by conference play. 

The name to watch later in the year is Madden. He looked very good against SHSU and has the stuff to be a weekend starter near the end of the year. 

I think we have options without Quintanilla.