Beto 2020

bad_teammate

1 hour ago, workswithseed said:

Okay now give me numbers of people who died in a gulag

Why don't you answer my question?

I did up thread. People possessing ar15s has zero relevance to the likelihood of tyrrany. The belief that morons with their ar15s are going to save us from an oppressive government is a fantasy and should not be part of any conversation on gun regulation. 

15 minutes ago, horncyclist said:

I did up thread. People possessing ar15s has zero relevance to the likelihood of tyrrany. The belief that morons with their ar15s are going to save us from an oppressive government is a fantasy and should not be part of any conversation on gun regulation. 

‘Yeah right!!!

pew pew pew’

-hayseed

8 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

This is the same bullshit as "there are a whole lot more Latino Republicans than you think".  And then they go ~ 75D/25R in almost every election.

Numbers, how do they work?

I’d argue 25% is still a shockingly high number given all that trump has been doing.  

Again, we only need a few more people to vote dem to turn the state at least purple.

What’s the point of saying such a polarizing statement that has little hope of happening and will only serve to force people who happen to like guns but are otherwise liberal away. 

5 minutes ago, Xian said:

I’d argue 25% is still a shockingly high number given all that trump has been doing.  

Again, we only need a few more people to vote dem to turn the state at least purple.

What’s the point of saying such a polarizing statement that has little hope of happening and will only serve to force people who happen to like guns but are otherwise liberal away. 

Do you even appeal to the fringe bro?

If not, you apparently don't get the primaries (the GOP does this too).

21 minutes ago, Xian said:

Well, if that's the standard, 1% is a shockingly high number.  In this case, a fair amount of Latino voters can't get past the single issue of abortion; hence, they vote (R), even though Republican policy actually leads to higher abortion rates.  (Hurray for the law of unintended consequences.)

11 hours ago, horncyclist said:

The idea that the gunowning fucknut 3-5% of our population...in the age of information warfare and deepfake technology...that those guns are going to keep us from tyrrany. That's what I'm ridiculing. And btw, how'd we manage to avoid tyrrany up until the 90s when these guns started showing up in mass?

There are zero reasons to keep these guns in our society. I want them gone. 

Sorry for your loss. The guns aren’t going anywhere

43 minutes ago, Revolution512 said:

Sorry for your loss. The guns aren’t going anywhere

I disagree. I don't see our future with the number of guns we have. Public opinion is changing and people are speaking up. The NRA is in decline, exposed as corrupt. It won't happen overnight but our love affair with guns is coming to an end.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, workswithseed said:

This is such a horseshit excuse.

You know damn well that private citizens owning guns doesn't and couldn't keep the United States government from becoming tyrannical.  If you don't, you're too stupid to even reason with.

But I'll give you credit for not being that stupid, which leaves us with the much more likely explanation: you just really like your guns.  They make you feel safe and manly.  You like your guns more than you dislike kids getting shot.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

You know damn well that private citizens owning guns doesn't and couldn't keep the United States government from becoming tyrannical.  If you don't, you're too stupid to even reason with.

But I'll give you credit for not being that stupid, which leaves us with the much more likely explanation: you just really like your guns.  They make you feel safe and manly.  You like your guns more than you dislike kids getting shot.

Yep. That's exactly what this was about. And if Dems were smart they would stop trying to not offend the gunnuts. Lead.

Slippery slope.  
And I can’t find a single politician I trust from any party, ever.   Radio played Beto talking this AM, less than a year ago about “I’m not taking your guns - reform etc”.  Then “his” city gets shot up and he’s a joke in the polls and now, “IM COMING”.  Oh that bumped my #’s? Well then I’m real Fucking angry Fuck you bleh. Oh another bump?The only thing he has in common with the poor souls that perished that day is a zip code, if that.  He sure didn’t gaf when his in-laws were trying to push them out of their neighborhood for a buck.  Real genuine guy. 
I own an AR and used to feel this way.
Then Vegas happened.
I changed my mind.

You think Beto meeting with so many victims had zero impact on his believes?
I've seen him at 4 townhalls, and I believe he is a genuine empathetic person operating on what he believes in. That probably means he will never be elected.

We let the gun lobby go to fucking far and the rights unwillingness to have any meaningful reform is going to have consequences.

I get why people like the AR15, but I wouldn’t want one. I don’t like killing stuff and I lived in a place like Jourdanton with a pig problem and a bunch of poachers or drugged out rednecks I’d rather have a an AK47, because it’s cheaper and less prone to failure.

Now, a TAC-308? I would absolutely buy one of those just to have it.

Here’s the point where that logic falls apart: weapons like the AR-15 (in civilian hands) were quite rare until about 20-25 years ago. They are a historical outlier.
We “prevented” a tyrannical government from enslaving us for centuries without ARs. Including in and through the modern era of jets and missiles and such.
Numerous other western countries can say the same. Australia, New Zealand, the UK, the Netherlands, Norway...etc etc. So, the point seems to be that if you don’t have citizens all loaded up with ARs, you will inevitably have gulags.
Toss me in that Norwegian gulag, please...
f034170c859baf46e122a596ae0786c5.jpg

2 hours ago, horncyclist said:

Yep. That's exactly what this was about. And if Dems were smart they would stop trying to not offend the gunnuts. Lead.

The gun issue is the only issue that I can see actually leading to a hot civil war.

The youngs are coming for guns. There is going to be a reckoning at some point. Beto finally said out loud what a whole lot of people believe.

The nutters are going to do whatever it takes to hold on to their firearms.

It could get very ugly.

10 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Here’s the point where that logic falls apart: weapons like the AR-15 (in civilian hands) were quite rare until about 20-25 years ago. They are a historical outlier.
We “prevented” a tyrannical government from enslaving us for centuries without ARs

Right.  And at any point throughout the last century, the U.S. military could've forcibly disarmed all of us at the order of a tyrannical despot.  You think a special forces team gives a fuck about your band of bumpkins with AR-15s?  They would end your little compound in an hour.  Actually, a drone would probably do it from 30k feet.  

And the irony is that all these dim redneck morons who think they owe it to Murica to own guns to protect us from Murica are also supporting the very fucking guy who's pushed us closer to tyranny than any president in history.

• Like 6

39 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

The gun issue is the only issue that I can see actually leading to a hot civil war.

The youngs are coming for guns. There is going to be a reckoning at some point. Beto finally said out loud what a whole lot of people believe.

The nutters are going to do whatever it takes to hold on to their firearms.

It could get very ugly.

Ah, you'd have one or two Bundy-type things and then they'd give up. These guys are coewess when confronted. But you're right, it's coming to a head, young versus old, urban versus rural.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, workswithseed said:

I mean every tyrannical government that's ever existed that took away people's rights. That's a lot and kill a lot more people.

You mean rights like taking away or suppressing people's vote?  That's what's the GOP has been working towards for years.   That's ok, huh?  Just not our guns?

15 hours ago, Planet Houston said:

I disagree - sweeping shit under the rug and not talking about it is worse for letting Trumpism fester. 

I agree with you on this.  It is time to address this.

10 hours ago, horncyclist said:

Apparently a big group of those morons would prop up an oppressive government, at least this one.    

1 hour ago, TexArcher said:

Right.  And at any point throughout the last century, the U.S. military could've forcibly disarmed all of us at the order of a tyrannical despot.  You think a special forces team gives a fuck about your band of bumpkins with AR-15s?  They would end your little compound in an hour.  Actually, a drone would probably do it from 30k feet.  

And the irony is that all these dim redneck morons who think they owe it to Murica to own guns to protect us from Murica are also supporting the very fucking guy who's pushed us closer to tyranny than any president in history.

yeah but how else are we going to prevent the Gestapo in Bastropo?

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

Here’s the point where that logic falls apart: weapons like the AR-15 (in civilian hands) were quite rare until about 20-25 years ago

But it’s not about AR15’s.  It’s about “guns”. Horncyclist made this clear upthread.  I figure you would understand this. I personally dgaf about an AR, would have been detrimental to me getting my teal this AM anyhow.  

Apparently a big group of those morons would prop up an oppressive government, at least this one.    

This. And that’s actually an important point. In many totalitarian regimes, the dirty work isn’t done by official govt forces, but rather by armed civilian “militias.” My Mexican-American ass has more to fear from the gun nut crowd deciding to take the law into their own hands while the government winks, than I have to fear from the actual govt itself oppressing us because we don’t all have ARs at the ready.
The gun nut crowd is all-in on a racist authoritarian regime. Forgive me if I don’t trust them at all.
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

But it’s not about AR15’s.  It’s about “guns”. Horncyclist made this clear upthread.  I figure you would understand this. I personally dgaf about an AR, would have been detrimental to me getting my teal this AM anyhow.  

Compromise now or get run over later.  I believe a large majority of those who want to see the AR-15 and similar weapons taken off the market have no concern with most rifles, shotguns, and for the most part handguns.  The more the gun nuts dig in, the more aggressive and less compromising the other side will get.  It's human nature.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Compromise now or get run over later.  I believe a large majority of those who want to see the AR-15 and similar weapons taken off the market have no concern with most rifles, shotguns, and for the most part handguns.  The more the gun nuts dig in, the more aggressive and less compromising the other side will get.  It's human nature.

this, and what i mean by "nobody gives a shit".

there is no compromising with republicans, and they don't play by rules.  So, there is no point for people who are trying to *actually* return this country to greatness civility/respectability/humanity/democracy/etc to solicity input, establish rules, and hammer out deals with Mitch and his merry band of gumps.  If you think that an assault weapons ban is a slippery slope that will lead to a total bans of gun, that's your stupid opinion and you're welcome to have it, and it should rightfully be ignored.

22 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

When did I make this clear? I would focus on banning AR-15s (and similar) and high capacity magazines, those are the weapons of choice here. I think you could ban/regulate these guns that are problematic while allowing hunting rifles and handguns (limit clip size) for personal protection. I like to hunt but would never own a handgun, personally. With each of those, though, there's a lot more utility for a lot more people. On the other side of the equation, people aren't committing mass murder with shotguns. I also think that sort of gun ownership is more consistent with historical gun ownership--and if you're an originalist, what the founders contemplated people possessing.

As part of this regulation you would  start to push back against a gun culture and that pushback combined with declining interest in hunting would mean fewer guns across the board. That would be nice in my mind but people could still own, posses and carry other types of guns (with regulation),if they choose and the Constitution protects under under Heller. I don't hear anyone calling for a ban on all guns.

44 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

The hell is a teal? Is that the color of the special cummerbund you get to prance around in public now for unlocking the achievement of using the minimal effort it requires to move your index finger a millimeter to pull the trigger on your big boy gun at a stationary paper target?

• Fuck You 1

A) I'm not convinced that's Beto.

B) I highly doubt that's actual piss.

C) What does a 30 year old party pic have to do with anything?

D) If you don't see him as a threat, you wouldn't post this.

Edited by bolverk
E) You're scared.
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, horncyclist said:

I disagree. I don't see our future with the number of guns we have. Public opinion is changing and people are speaking up. The NRA is in decline, exposed as corrupt. It won't happen overnight but our love affair with guns is coming to an end.

An elementary school shooting didn’t move anybody. Lives are lives, not trying to say one is worse than the other in terms of the problem. But it’s hard to imagine anything worse than little kids getting shot at school. Politicians did zip, the letter next to their name really doesn’t matter to me. They are all absolute garbage.

15 minutes ago, Revolution512 said:

An elementary school shooting didn’t move anybody. Lives are lives, not trying to say one is worse than the other in terms of the problem. But it’s hard to imagine anything worse than little kids getting shot at school. Politicians did zip, the letter next to their name really doesn’t matter to me. They are all absolute garbage.

2 hours ago, horncyclist said:

I like to hunt but would never own a handgun, personally. 

As someone who hunts, a sidearm is necessary. We'd all like to get the clean kill shot every time, but the occasion arises where you need to put an animal out of its misery.

• Like 1