2019 MLB thread

spystud13

1 hour ago, youdunnf'dup said:

It’s funny to me that there are still people out there (besides pitchers, of course) who feel like that should absolutely be part of the game. With the technology that we have, the technology that’s already in place for the most part, that’s indefensible. People make mistakes. I imagine calling balls and strikes is pretty fucking tough, so I don’t really blame the umpires as much as I blame Manfred. He should have to answer for shit like that, not the umpires.

The technology isn't fast enough or accurate enough

It’s funny to me that there are still people out there (besides pitchers, of course) who feel like that should absolutely be part of the game. With the technology that we have, the technology that’s already in place for the most part, that’s indefensible. People make mistakes. I imagine calling balls and strikes is pretty fucking tough, so I don’t really blame the umpires as much as I blame Manfred. He should have to answer for shit like that, not the umpires.

The umpires union has way too much fucking power when they should have none. 

From earlier this week, but like I was saying before, I just like how this dude breaks down unusual plays. He kinda sounds like Sean McVay in this one, but maybe that’s just me.

"bases hucked"? "the pill"? "bowl of lettuce?" i hate the way that guy talks, and he didn't even actually break anything down, he just showed the play and talked over it. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

"bases hucked"? "the pill"? "bowl of lettuce?" i hate the way that guy talks, and he didn't even actually break anything down, he just showed the play and talked over it. 

Apparently we don’t think the exact same things are funny. Crazy how that works. 

I guess I just like how he points out a lot of the small shit with his accent. Reminds me of my old baseball coach. But I’ll quit posting them

26 minutes ago, Guadaloopy said:

The technology is fast enough, but you are right about the accuracy.  Just in that clip, you can see that the pitch is closer to the edge of the plate than the pitch tracker shows.  

You are assuming that the technology currently in use is the best available. I don’t know if that is true or not. 

Tony, you’re a good poster, but that reply is 100% why I didn’t bother. Any anti-Astro sentiment is regarded as some kind of attack. 
Your team is badass, but it’s okay to have differing opinions. 

Maybe. But do you really agree that there is no comparison? Plus consider the source to my snarky reply. Flagship.

I am fully aware Flagship ain't the most popular around here with the Hou faithful, but really anyone picking the Yanks would get it. 

Personally, if all 18 players in both starting lineups were 100% healthy, I would take the Yanks too. 

Of course none of this matters now because there are so many ILs next to both lineups. 

Edited by spystud13

1 hour ago, spystud13 said:

Tony, you’re a good poster, but that reply is 100% why I didn’t bother. Any anti-Astro sentiment is regarded as some kind of attack. 

It's usually from some retard like Fudge or Nobis -- disappointing to see them rubbing off on Tony.

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

57 minutes ago, spystud13 said:

I am fully aware Flagship ain't the most popular around here with the Hou faithful, but really anyone picking the Yanks would get it. 

Personally, if all 18 players in both starting lineups were 100% healthy, I would take the Yanks too. 

Of course none of this matters now because there are so many ILs next to both lineups. 

Also, fuck the Yankees.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, TheFlagship said:

I didn’t even mean any shade towards Houston. Obviously y’all have a badass team, esp when you factor in pitching. But a healthy Judge-Stanton-Sanchez-Voit-EE middle of the order hits 200  bombs if fully healthy. Don’t think any team in baseball compares to that.

One way to compare would be to use the rest-of-season projections for each lineup. I used ZIPS because it is pretty well-known (it tends to be reasonably conservative too). I like to use wRC+ to capture strictly hitting production:

Position: NYY Player (ROS wRC+ projection), HOU player (ROS wRC+ projection)

Catcher: Sanchez (121), Chirinos (105)

1B: Voit (123), Gurriel (96)

2B: Torres (116), Altuve (126)

3B: LeMahieu (99), Bregman (139)

SS: Gregorius (107), Correa (124)

LF: Stanton (133), Brantley (118)

CF: Hicks (113), Springer (127)

RF: Judge (139), Reddick (104)

DH: Encarnacion (121), Alvarez (110)

AVG: NYY - 119, HOU - 117

Given that these are projections and the overall average difference is 2 points, the two lineups are pretty much equal by this comparison. The projection for Alvarez may be a little light, but it seems reasonable to me, given that he's a rookie and we don't really know yet. This doesn't factor in base running, but I'll assume that any difference there is negligible. The Astros' glaring weakness (and my ongoing frustration) is at 1B.

In sum - they're both really good, and it is difficult to say one will outperform the other. 

Edited by Hank Chinaski
  • Like 2