2019 MLB thread

spystud13

2 hours ago, spystud13 said:

Angel got Cora & Woodward in less than the span of a half-inning. 

I have no idea how that guy keeps his job. He is universally despised by players, fans and managers. The only time I have ever heard an umpire booed when his name is put on the jumbotron during pre-game is him. Just seeing his name is able to trigger anger and disgust out of fans who mostly don't give a damn about umps. He is absolute trash. 

9 hours ago, UpperWestside said:

I have no idea how that guy keeps his job. He is universally despised by players, fans and managers. The only time I have ever heard an umpire booed when his name is put on the jumbotron during pre-game is him. Just seeing his name is able to trigger anger and disgust out of fans who mostly don't give a damn about umps. He is absolute trash. 

He has a lawsuit against MLB for discrimination.  He thinks he hasn't been promoted for a reason other than he fucking sucks shit through a straw as an umpire.  He is basically untouchable while it's ongoing though.

He has a lawsuit against MLB for discrimination.  He thinks he hasn't been promoted for a reason other than he fucking sucks shit through a straw as an umpire.  He is basically untouchable while it's ongoing though.

I keep seeing this posted...
Why? I don’t buy that.
Any other profession, you’re suspended with pay or something.
I’m no lawyer but I’m pretty sure there isn’t a clause in the umpire /MLB collective bargaining agreement that says “you (umpire) sue us (MLB), plaintiff shall remain employed with all of the benefits thereof until said litigation (and any/all appeals) are resolved.”

It’s a bit asinine how he still has a job, at least based on what the naked eye can see. Maybe there are other umpire metrics substantiating how he still has a job but I don’t get it
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

While I don't think I'd follow him because he primarily covers the Yankees, his twitter is worth an occasional look for his breakdowns of fights, ejections, meltdowns and stupidity around the league are funny and well done. 

I don’t follow him on twitter, but this dude has all kinds of videos on YouTube. He always has good breakdowns of the most unusual plays. 

Edited by youdunnf'dup
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, spystud13 said:

5-out save for Robles, LAA survives again. 

Thank you so much for your great takes during this epic LAA vs LAD series that no one gives a shit about.

I could feel the tension of every at bat through your posts.  You should submit a sappy article to fangraphs for review.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 3

2 hours ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Thank you so much for your great takes during this epic LAA vs LAD series that no one gives a shit about.

I could feel the tension of every at bat through your posts.  You should submit a sappy article to fangraphs for review.

You really suck as a poster, especially on this thread.  

• Like 4
  • Fuck You 1

Some good quotes in here, both sides took it pretty well. 

Despite the bumps and bruises after four players -- two on each side -- got hit by pitches in the Chicago Cubs' 10-1 victory over the Colorado Rockies on Wednesday, both teams played it cool afterward.

Rockies star Nolan Arenado was the first to get nailed, as veteran Cubs starter Cole Hamels hit him in the left forearm in the bottom of the third inning.

"I kind of had a feeling it was going to happen," Arenado said after the game. "I don't have to explain what's going on. You saw the games in Chicago. You saw them here. It's baseball. I just thought it was a little high. If you were here for the series you saw what was going on."

Arenado is referring to several Cubs players being hit by pitches last week, most notably third baseman Kris Bryant. Bryant was hit by German Marquez in Chicago and was then plunked two more times on Tuesday night by rookie Peter Lambert. Marquez also hit Bryant in the helmet last year at Coors Field. Hamels was asked if hitting Arenado was part of any retaliation.

"Not that I know of, no," Hamels said with a straight face. "I'm trying to get guys out. You don't want to see that and you don't want guys to get injured."

After getting hit, Arenado yelled over at the Cubs dugout about the high pitch and jawed with Hamels as well. He left in the fifth inning with a contusion.

"It's just baseball," Hamels stated nonchalantly. "People yell at me all the time, good and bad."

X-rays on Arenado's forearm were negative and he's day-to-day. Hamels should also be fine after getting hit in the ankle by Bryan Shaw in the top of the seventh inning. He was walking gingerly in the Cubs clubhouse afterwards.

"Those balls are hard," Hamels said. "They don't feel too good."

The back and forth wasn't over. In the eighth inning, Cubs first baseman Anthony Rizzo was hit by rookie Phillip Diehl, who was making his second career outing. That finally drew warnings from the umpires.

"I don't think that was on purpose," Arenado said. "We're not asking some second appearance young kid to go throw at Rizzo."

Finally, Rockies catcher Tony Wolters was hit by struggling reliever Brad Brachin the bottom of the ninth with the game well in hand for the visitors. Colorado manager Bud Black argued that Brach should have been tossed since warnings had already been given. The umpires disagreed.

"I'm not trying to hit anyone, especially with the way I've been pitching," Brach said.

So as is the trend when these things occur, all the parties involved -- save perhaps Arenado -- denied there was anything nefarious going on. Cubs manager Joe Maddon also dismissed most of the extracurricular activity, urging those inflicted to simply make a quick decision.

"I've always had a rule among my guys," Maddon explained. "You have two options: Go to the mound or go to first base. But don't sit there and jabber. Make up your mind and do one or the other -- and either one is fine."

The two teams can only meet in the playoffs now as the season series is over after they played each other six times in eight days. Arenado was asked what he thought of more games against the Cubs.

"It would be a spicy series," he responded.

Here are the 2019 vs Career variance numbers, for wRC+ and SLG%, for the Twins' top 11 hitters:

Player (2019 wRC+ Var, 2019 SLG% Var)

Polanco (+41%; +28%)

Buxton (+45%, +30%)

Kepler (+31%, +25%)

Garver (+56%, +45%)

Castro (+58%, +50%)

Cron (+13%, +14%)

Rosario (+8%, +11%)

Schoop (+7%, +8%)

Gonzalez (-5%, 0%)

Cruz (+5%, +5%)

Sano (+15%, +22%)

What the holy hell is going on with that team? Almost all their everyday players have turned into completely different hitters. They are slugging over .500 as a team. 

Edited by Hank Chinaski
  • Like 4

15 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

It’s funny to me that there are still people out there (besides pitchers, of course) who feel like that should absolutely be part of the game. With the technology that we have, the technology that’s already in place for the most part, that’s indefensible. People make mistakes. I imagine calling balls and strikes is pretty fucking tough, so I don’t really blame the umpires as much as I blame Manfred. He should have to answer for shit like that, not the umpires.

• Like 1